• Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Here is one..
    tweet from Jonathan

Photo by jonathancheban • Instagram

Jonathan Cheban✔ @JonathanCheban

I NEVER thought I would not use a keyboard.. I'm addddicted to the new Blackberry z10.. It gets every… Photo by jonathancheban • Instagram
    02-22-13 01:19 AM
    Hearing wind of a massive U.S stock market crash come sometime between March and April. Stay alert my friends
    I don't know about a crash, but I've seen a few market indicators that suggest now is a good time to reduce your exposure to equities because there will be a correction shortly. I would speculate that any significant news about BBRY would overwhelm the effects of a minor market correction. But if we are still in the quiet time before the ER and a market downturn occurs, we could see a tremendous buying opportunity!!! (IMHO)
    02-22-13 01:22 AM
    This may not make it Yahoo and Google finance or cnbc. It is like you are telling the truth and everyone around shuts their ears..There has to be way to communicate this then waitin for ER..))
    Some positive news today
    Article from SA
    IBM rumor
    Patents valuation upgrade
    High spirit of BB fans and investors.
    DragonFlyer and bungaboy like this.
    02-22-13 01:25 AM
    Stock market crash huh?
    02-22-13 01:46 AM
    [thread police sorry]
    Please keep politics considerations out of this thread.
    We had trouble once, don't play again.

[thread police end, thank you]
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-22-13 02:14 AM
    I found this artical pretty good for someone who has never heard of Blackberry before. It tells it the way it is. There is no sugar coating or bashing. I guess if there was an investor out there that doesn't know Blackberry exists this would be a good starting point.

The Past, Present, And Future Of BlackBerry - Seeking Alpha
    02-22-13 02:14 AM
    [thread police sorry]
    Please keep politics considerations out of this thread.
    We had trouble once, don't play again.

[thread police end, thank you]
    I've been posting on this thread alot recently. Is this targeted towards me at all. Please let me know. My wife tells me that it has to hit me in the head in order for me to see it.
    02-22-13 02:23 AM
    I've been posting on this thread alot recently. Is this targeted towards me at all. Please let me know. My wife tells me that it has to hit me in the head in order for me to see it.
    Nope, it's prevention after reading post #5947 ;-) Anyhow, nothing like a "hit in the head", just a friendly and preventive request in order to keep this thread alive and smart
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    02-22-13 02:33 AM
    RT @TomKewley: Toronto Bell store employee says that 75% of their sales in past few weeks have been Blackberries. bb10believe $BBRY...User ID:http://twitter.com/ThomasKDN/User IP:
    I'll have to say that this statement is accurate. my friend picked up a z10 from Bell last night. In conversation, he asked the rep how sales were going. His exact words were that 80% of all the walk-in's were for the z10. After hearing that, I totally thought it was just an exaggeration but after seeing this post I think it has some merit.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-22-13 05:01 AM
    Hearing wind of a massive U.S stock market crash come sometime between March and April. Stay alert my friends
    More like passing wind by our useless US Politicians. As they say "this too shall pass." We have had a big run up so a pullback might be in the offing, but I doubt there will be a crash, esp with Europe being so soft as well.
    02-22-13 05:08 AM
    Surfing the web this morning:
    Thorsten Heins yesterday night to dpa: "And the first response we get from countries such as the UK, France, South Africa or Canada, are promising. The demand is quite high." (google translate)
    So not overwhelming, but still ok?
    Blackberry-Chef: "Ich habe einen verdammt langen Atem" | heise online

Also there is another read about Samsung trying to get to get the NSA and the Pentagon's Defense Information Systems Agency approval.
    Samsung Copies the BlackBerry Playbook - WSJ.com
    john1110 likes this.
    02-22-13 05:25 AM
    Stock market crash huh?
    Not a crash but a rather large adjustment. Sequestration is now going to happen and it will effect the government, the public sector, government contractors, unions and the private sector user.

This will have an effect on the market. It will not just happen on the 1st but will start a few days before when they realize they are not going to kick the can again!
    02-22-13 06:08 AM
    Not a crash but a rather large adjustment. Sequestration is now going to happen and it will effect the government, the public sector, government contractors, unions and the private sector user.

This will have an effect on the market. It will not just happen on the 1st but will start a few days before when they realize they are not going to kick the can again!
    If the sequestration is going to occur, I have bigger problems to worry about than the stock market. My laboratory relies on government funding.
    I believe they won't let it happen.
    Last edited by plasmid_boy; 02-22-13 at 06:52 AM.
    02-22-13 06:41 AM
    Also there is another read about Samsung trying to get to get the NSA and the Pentagon's Defense Information Systems Agency approval.
    Samsung Copies the BlackBerry Playbook - WSJ.com
    Any chance you could paste in the important bits from there, i dont have access and would be interested in what it says.
    02-22-13 06:43 AM
    Samsung Copies the BlackBerry Playbook .

Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE -1.29%has spent the last several years luring smartphone consumers away from Apple Inc.'s AAPL -0.63%iPhones. Now, the South Korean giant is taking aim at Research In Motion Ltd.'s BB.T +1.29%still-formidable grip on the world's most security-conscious government and corporate clients.

Samsung is wooing chief information officers and government agencies, promising its phones—which run off Google Inc.'s GOOG +0.39%Android operating system—are just as secure as BlackBerrys. It has hired dozens of executives and salespeople from rivals and from mobile-security companies, while investing in other smaller, mobile security and data firms.

And it has tweaked a massive marketing campaign aimed at consumers, airing ads during the recent National Football League playoffs that poked fun specifically at the BlackBerry.

Samsung executives in South Korea have made enterprise sales a "top three priority" company-wide, said Tim Wagner, Samsung's Dallas-based general manager and vice president for enterprise sales, who was hired away from RIM in 2010. The company has recently closed deals for thousands of company-issued Samsung smartphones and tablets for big corporations like American Airlines Inc., Waste Management Inc., WM -0.30%and Boston Scientific Corp. BSX -0.41%
    IDC, a market researcher, found over 50% of smartphones shipped to corporate customers last year were iPhones, while Samsung shipped 16% of that market. RIM, which had dominated the sector just a few years ago, saw its share shrink to 10% last year, IDC said.

While Apple is leading in recent shipments, RIM still has a large and global subscription base of corporate clients, many of whom worry about disrupting service or incurring new costs by changing their company-deployed smartphones. But RIM has lost a string of big corporate customers as companies increasingly allow employees to use their personal phones for work, making RIM a particularly attractive target for Samsung.

Samsung "is at a point where they can hit the market aggressively and take some share from RIM," said Jeff Johnston, a smartphone-market analyst at Detwiler Fenton, a Boston-based research and wealth management firm. "No question they see a wounded animal here."

Still, Samsung has a way to go in convincing some corporate clients. Android's operating system is used by a number of device makers, presenting security challenges by making those devices potentially easier to hack. It also makes applications running on the phones more susceptible to bugs.

Rich Aducci, the chief information officer at Boston Scientific, a medical-device maker, has ordered Samsung devices for simple tasks, like checking patients' glucose levels. But he isn't yet ready to open the company's networks more broadly to the devices.

"Ultimately, it's still running Android, and there's a limit to what they can do about security," Mr. Adduci said.

And RIM is fighting back hard. Last month, it unveiled its latest operating system, BlackBerry 10, and two new phones that will run off it, including an all-touch-screen version that is already selling in several markets and hits the U.S. next month. RIM is offering its business clients incentives to try BlackBerry 10, including free software upgrades and free training for IT departments.

"It's not surprising that competitors are scrambling to get into the enterprise (sector), but they're late to the game," said David J. Smith, executive vice president of mobile computing at RIM. RIM says that more than 3,500 enterprises and government agencies are currently evaluating the new BB10 OS. An Apple spokesperson didn't respond to requests for comment.

To bolster security of Samsung phones, the company offers its own secure software, which it calls SAFE, for "Samsung for Enterprise." Samsung says the product has been selling well, without giving specifics.

It has also hired at least half a dozen former senior executives from RIM, which has shed thousands of jobs amid its falling market share. Samsung has also hired technology experts from academia and security firms.

In 2011, it poached Injong Rhee, a well-respected computer science professor at North Carolina State University to spearhead its business-focused offerings. Mr. Rhee will be presenting some of those new products at a major technology conference in Barcelona next week.

Last year, Samsung snapped up Bryan Glancey, the founder of device-security firm Mobile Armor and a former executive at Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. He is now working to get Samsung devices adopted by government agencies.

Samsung also opened an office in Washington, D.C., and hired away Sony Corp.'s 6758.TO -2.63%long-time top lobbyist, Joel Wiginton, to run the office.

At the same time, Samsung is partnering with smaller business-technology firms with ties to U.S. government agencies that prize security. Earlier this year, Samsung Venture Investment Corp., the company's venture fund, made a small investment in Canadian mobile-security firm Fixmo Inc. and Boston-based mobile data firm Cloudant.

Fixmo's technology was developed in cooperation with the U.S. National Security Agency. Cloudant is funded in part by the Central Intelligence Agency through one of its subsidiaries.

Samsung has also joined forces with General Dynamics Corp., GD -0.18%the giant defense contractor, to get the NSA and the Pentagon's Defense Information Systems Agency to approve Samsung devices for those agencies—essentially a seal of approval for wider government-agency use. Samsung's flagship Galaxy devices already have a lower-level approval for use by some U.S. government agencies. But the company hasn't yet announced a big-name government partner.

The NSA "works with a broad range of commercial partners and research associates to ensure the availability of secure, tailored solutions for (Department of Defense) and national-security systems customer," an NSA spokeswoman said in a statement.

"The DoD continues to evaluate different mobile products with a multi-vendor approach," a DoD spokesman said in a statement.
    Komoto and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-22-13 07:22 AM
    all i read from that is that they are trying, but so far are not achieving much.
    with the recent hacking issues I doubt government departments (and even some companies) would be willing to risk downgrading their mobile security.
    they also haven't mentioned the MDM solution offered by RIMM which covers iOS, android and BB.

I am not sure whether it is the fanboyism coming out in me, but i dont see this as a huge threat.
    02-22-13 07:46 AM
    Samsung Copies the BlackBerry Playbook .

Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE -1.29%has spent the last several years luring smartphone consumers away from Apple Inc.'s AAPL -0.63%iPhones. Now, the South Korean giant is taking aim at Research In Motion Ltd.'s BB.T +1.29%still-formidable grip on the world's most security-conscious government and corporate clients.

Samsung is wooing chief information officers and government agencies, promising its phones—which run off Google Inc.'s GOOG +0.39%Android operating system—are just as secure as BlackBerrys. It has hired dozens of executives and salespeople from rivals and from mobile-security companies, while investing in other smaller, mobile security and data firms.

And it has tweaked a massive marketing campaign aimed at consumers, airing ads during the recent National Football League playoffs that poked fun specifically at the BlackBerry.

Samsung executives in South Korea have made enterprise sales a "top three priority" company-wide, said Tim Wagner, Samsung's Dallas-based general manager and vice president for enterprise sales, who was hired away from RIM in 2010. The company has recently closed deals for thousands of company-issued Samsung smartphones and tablets for big corporations like American Airlines Inc., Waste Management Inc., WM -0.30%and Boston Scientific Corp. BSX -0.41%
    IDC, a market researcher, found over 50% of smartphones shipped to corporate customers last year were iPhones, while Samsung shipped 16% of that market. RIM, which had dominated the sector just a few years ago, saw its share shrink to 10% last year, IDC said.

While Apple is leading in recent shipments, RIM still has a large and global subscription base of corporate clients, many of whom worry about disrupting service or incurring new costs by changing their company-deployed smartphones. But RIM has lost a string of big corporate customers as companies increasingly allow employees to use their personal phones for work, making RIM a particularly attractive target for Samsung.

Samsung "is at a point where they can hit the market aggressively and take some share from RIM," said Jeff Johnston, a smartphone-market analyst at Detwiler Fenton, a Boston-based research and wealth management firm. "No question they see a wounded animal here."

Still, Samsung has a way to go in convincing some corporate clients. Android's operating system is used by a number of device makers, presenting security challenges by making those devices potentially easier to hack. It also makes applications running on the phones more susceptible to bugs.

Rich Aducci, the chief information officer at Boston Scientific, a medical-device maker, has ordered Samsung devices for simple tasks, like checking patients' glucose levels. But he isn't yet ready to open the company's networks more broadly to the devices.

"Ultimately, it's still running Android, and there's a limit to what they can do about security," Mr. Adduci said.

And RIM is fighting back hard. Last month, it unveiled its latest operating system, BlackBerry 10, and two new phones that will run off it, including an all-touch-screen version that is already selling in several markets and hits the U.S. next month. RIM is offering its business clients incentives to try BlackBerry 10, including free software upgrades and free training for IT departments.

"It's not surprising that competitors are scrambling to get into the enterprise (sector), but they're late to the game," said David J. Smith, executive vice president of mobile computing at RIM. RIM says that more than 3,500 enterprises and government agencies are currently evaluating the new BB10 OS. An Apple spokesperson didn't respond to requests for comment.

To bolster security of Samsung phones, the company offers its own secure software, which it calls SAFE, for "Samsung for Enterprise." Samsung says the product has been selling well, without giving specifics.

It has also hired at least half a dozen former senior executives from RIM, which has shed thousands of jobs amid its falling market share. Samsung has also hired technology experts from academia and security firms.

In 2011, it poached Injong Rhee, a well-respected computer science professor at North Carolina State University to spearhead its business-focused offerings. Mr. Rhee will be presenting some of those new products at a major technology conference in Barcelona next week.

Last year, Samsung snapped up Bryan Glancey, the founder of device-security firm Mobile Armor and a former executive at Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. He is now working to get Samsung devices adopted by government agencies.

Samsung also opened an office in Washington, D.C., and hired away Sony Corp.'s 6758.TO -2.63%long-time top lobbyist, Joel Wiginton, to run the office.

At the same time, Samsung is partnering with smaller business-technology firms with ties to U.S. government agencies that prize security. Earlier this year, Samsung Venture Investment Corp., the company's venture fund, made a small investment in Canadian mobile-security firm Fixmo Inc. and Boston-based mobile data firm Cloudant.

Fixmo's technology was developed in cooperation with the U.S. National Security Agency. Cloudant is funded in part by the Central Intelligence Agency through one of its subsidiaries.

Samsung has also joined forces with General Dynamics Corp., GD -0.18%the giant defense contractor, to get the NSA and the Pentagon's Defense Information Systems Agency to approve Samsung devices for those agencies—essentially a seal of approval for wider government-agency use. Samsung's flagship Galaxy devices already have a lower-level approval for use by some U.S. government agencies. But the company hasn't yet announced a big-name government partner.

The NSA "works with a broad range of commercial partners and research associates to ensure the availability of secure, tailored solutions for (Department of Defense) and national-security systems customer," an NSA spokeswoman said in a statement.

"The DoD continues to evaluate different mobile products with a multi-vendor approach," a DoD spokesman said in a statement.
    Title of the article seems misleading, I dont see any mention of them copying the Playbook
    02-22-13 07:47 AM
    Title of the article seems misleading, I dont see any mention of them copying the Playbook
    I think they meant in the original sense of the word.

Meanwhile, MKM has downgraded to sell. We'll see what effect that has - if any - soon enough.

edit So far PM is up on the news...
    02-22-13 07:50 AM
    I think they meant in the original sense of the word.

Meanwhile, MKM has downgraded to sell. We'll see what effect that has - if any - soon enough.

edit So far PM is up on the news...
    D'oh! I choose to blame it on my lack of coffee so far
    02-22-13 07:58 AM
    Hmmmm, i wonder why samsung feels so threatened by Blackberry ...
    DragonFlyer and bungaboy like this.
    02-22-13 08:12 AM
    I consulted the tea leaves.

Today will be a green day.
    02-22-13 08:18 AM
    D'oh! I choose to blame it on my lack of coffee so far
    I had the same interpretation the first time I read it - it was poorly phrased, as it specifically says: "copies the blackberry playbook" and not "copies from blackberry's playbook" or similar.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    02-22-13 08:18 AM
    Hmmmm, i wonder why samsung feels so threatened by Blackberry ...
    This is a good sign. If they didn't care then we'd have a problem.
    02-22-13 08:20 AM
    So I've been thinking alot and piecing together what on earth RIM is thinking and I've come to this. By launching in all of their top markets, they can easily outperform ER expectations given strong performance from loyal markets and extremely low expectations. Like common.... 300,000 BB10 units for Q4? Really? With expectations and sentiment lowering everyday going into March earnings, RIMM is setting up for a nice surprise. Rogers alone had 200 units for sale on launch day and sold out within the first week. With 450 Rogers stores x 200 units, that's easily 90,000 phones for Rogers only! Bell I believe also has similar volume relative to Rogers and this is only taking into account launch week for Canada. The rumours for limited supply were associated with Telus which only had 7 phones on launch which was seriously a joke. I believe that this is where the analyst misconceptions are coming from. Rogers and BBRY also have a great relationship, they're seriously generating a huge volume of phones, same with Best Buy Mobile. With this in mind, I believe that Q4 earnings is being set up nicely for us Bulls

On a technical perspective, it seems that we're holding within the channel pretty well, as long as we're still in the channel according to Morgan's charts. However, my charts are showing a symmetrical/continuation triangle that ends at March 14. We could see a break out to $20s if we can break resistance at 16.50 or to $10s if we break out of this channel to the downside. I'm still learning for technicals and I advise any experts to correct me if Im wrong.

My main concern here now is that if we do not beat Q4 earnings, we're going to be in a lot of pain. As the recent April $9 put options volume shows, I do believe that $9 is possible if we miss this earnings call. The month of March is going to be very important for us, with U.S. launch, Q4 earnings, and BBRY being on the bottom borderline of the channel.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts and opinion on the BBRY. Best of luck to everyone!
    s0be and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-22-13 08:20 AM
    Ok, so what's the predictions for today? I'm hoping to be high fiveing throughout the day.
    02-22-13 08:54 AM
113,256 ... 237238239240241 ...