View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Just bought $35 jan 2015 calls. I feel like I'm stealing money at this point.
    What was your entry? I was thinking abut Jan $30 or $35 calls for but 2014, not 2015.
    02-19-13 11:12 AM
    I don't know, it's another android phone, but on paper it looks nicer than the BB10
    Not really, if you get past the "bigger number is better" myth. You will not be able to see the difference of a 1080p versus 768p screen at the 4-5 inch size display. In real life, you cannot tell the difference. Same thing for the ludicrous difference in pixel counts. I wish someone would run a true double blind test of real people to try and tell the difference, when the ONLY thing that is different is the slightly different screen resolutions on identical sized screens.

And the train wreck of an OS, android, negates any possible hardward advantage. Andriod is an uncontrolled, wild west of noncompliant code, inconsistent user interfaces on apps, no intergrated app like Flow, and the OS security swiss cheese just waiting for a major virus.

The Z10 is head and shoulders above any of these other devices. And it will only get better as word spreads and the promised apps are on board.
    Cheers!
    Mr.Conviviality likes this.
    02-19-13 11:15 AM
    What was your entry? I was thinking abut Jan $30 or $35 calls for but 2014, not 2015.
    I wouldnt go past $30 for jan 2014 calls until more data comes out. (I see year-end value between $20-40 depending how it compares with iphone sales)
    02-19-13 11:15 AM
    1.29 for the 35's
    02-19-13 11:21 AM
    Not really, if you get past the "bigger number is better" myth. You will not be able to see the difference of a 1080p versus 768p screen at the 4-5 inch size display. In real life, you cannot tell the difference. Same thing for the ludicrous difference in pixel counts. I wish someone would run a true double blind test of real people to try and tell the difference, when the ONLY thing that is different is the slightly different screen resolutions on identical sized screens.

And the train wreck of an OS, android, negates any possible hardward advantage. Andriod is an uncontrolled, wild west of noncompliant code, inconsistent user interfaces on apps, no intergrated app like Flow, and the OS security swiss cheese just waiting for a major virus.

The Z10 is head and shoulders above any of these other devices. And it will only get better as word spreads and the promised apps are on board.
    Cheers!
    I have always held two phones since the early 2000s and my experience of Android is definitely not consistent with your comments since 2010. Jellybean is definitely top of the OS hill currently out at present in the US but then I have always used Vanilla Android without the bloatware. Jellybean changed a lot for Android users so there's a reason its number one.

The point I am trying to make is that the new phone is a direct threat to BBRY, whether some want to acknowledge or not and should be taken into consideration when investing.
    02-19-13 11:21 AM
    I wouldnt go past $30 for jan 2014 calls until more data comes out. (I see year-end value between $20-40 depending how it compares with iphone sales)
    I would be somewhat confident that we're above $20 by then, since we did hit a high of $18 in the last few weeks. By Jan, the BB lineup should be flush with the Z10, Q10 and "Aristo" and other possible models.
    02-19-13 11:22 AM
    The point I am trying to make is that the new phone is a direct threat to BBRY, whether some want to acknowledge or not and should be taken into consideration when investing.
    So will any new device in the 20 years to come (therefore my previous remark about discussing harware here).
    There's nothing really exceptional here, not more than a new NOK, the latest Sony, a rumored ipXs, a watch or a TV set.

Remember, we're in phase 1 : satisfy & reward loyal BB users and generate envy to others (and some come-back).
    The only damage this device can do now is to flood news with a "this is hard for BB" title (therefore my previous remark- say it again).
    02-19-13 11:37 AM
    Many of us are long (myself included), but I am wondering what is your exit strategy?
    For me, BBRY is a component of an investment for my kids, so can be 10+ years. But do plan to move some to other stocks at some point and not sure when would be a good time or price point.
    02-19-13 11:40 AM
    I would be somewhat confident that we're above $20 by then, since we did hit a high of $18 in the last few weeks. By Jan, the BB lineup should be flush with the Z10, Q10 and "Aristo" and other possible models.
    yeah i see 20 in near-term, and hope to see $40 by year-end, but only if blackberry truly reclaims the market share and pumps out OS updates prior to the US launch (most complaints are related to small bugs like camera brightness or app issues, i have seen little complaints about the hardwatre (battery life is the common one, and again, that can be fixed by an OS update. Android users commonly see 10-20% battery life gains by running a newest version of jelly bean, and I imagine some OS10 tweaks would do the same for the Z10 in its next update)

that said, blackberry has a niche and is clearly aiming at it with the new lineup. their comeback relies on the revitilization of the brand as a corporate tool, which i think it does fabulously
    02-19-13 11:40 AM
    Many of us are long (myself included), but I am wondering what is your exit strategy?
    For me, BBRY is a component of an investment for my kids, so can be 10+ years. But do plan to move some to other stocks at some point and not sure when would be a good time or price point.
    Unless there's a significant change, I'm in for 3 years. I agreed with T. Heins plan, witch was a 3-5 years recovery, starting a year 1/2 ago. This for my initial investment.

Now, I should get some cash soon and I plan to add more, say 5 times my initial amount. This will be for my retirement time, so in a 20+ yrs horizon (and yes, this will be only a part of what I intend to do, other values - more "stable" - will feed my wallet).
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    02-19-13 11:47 AM
    Stock is hardly moving today. It's 1pm already and NASDAQ:BBRY price has been $14.5 ish for quite a while. Looks like we won't see a rally-up (back to $18ish level) before March 28, 2013 earning report.
    02-19-13 12:01 PM
    We're just getting started this week. I want to really look at how it's moving around Thursday afternoon sometime. Who knows, maybe Friday it will be back over $16.
    DarrenHD likes this.
    02-19-13 12:07 PM
    I'm starting to think that the sales for Z10 are not that great.

If you think about it, if your own company had great sale numbers wouldn't you publicly announce it (considering it's a publicly traded entity). Ontop of the fact that there is no USA launch, I would definitely tout my horn if the sale #s were so great, making the USA carriers speed things up even moreso.

The secrecy of this just doesn't make sense. Why hide the #s for so long? All great sales #s go out within the first week (samsung, apple). The ones that don't do great are held for longer......iirc Google/Nexus?

Note: not drinking the BBRY coolaid. gotta keep a realistic mindset or you will be in a world of hurt if not.
    02-19-13 12:26 PM
    02-19-13 12:30 PM
    Stock is hardly moving today. It's 1pm already and NASDAQ:BBRY price has been $14.5 ish for quite a while. Looks like we won't see a rally-up (back to $18ish level) before March 28, 2013 earning report.
    We're just getting started this week. I want to really look at how it's moving around Thursday afternoon sometime. Who knows, maybe Friday it will be back over $16.

Why would you expect it to move up?
    02-19-13 12:31 PM

If you think about it, if your own company had great sale numbers wouldn't you publicly announce it (considering it's a publicly traded entity). Ontop of the fact that there is no USA launch, I would definitely tout my horn if the sale #s were so great, making the USA carriers speed things up even moreso.

The secrecy of this just doesn't make sense. Why hide the #s for so long? All great sales #s go out within the first week (samsung, apple). The ones that don't do great are held for longer......iirc Google/Nexus?

Note: not drinking the BBRY coolaid. gotta keep a realistic mindset or you will be in a world of hurt if not.
    It's only been released in limited markets. Even if the number is impressive for their standards it will inevitably be compared to apple's and samsung's numbers and analysts will spin and say bbry hasn't sold squat. It makes more sense to keep a lid on it for now until it is released in the U.S.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-19-13 12:32 PM
    Full Disclosure: I am a long, buy-hold, value investor.

Nonetheless, in the interest of this thread I will try my hand at interpreting current charting numbers that MorganPlus8 has been relating to us.

Currently, the 5 dma is around 14.70, with the 50 dma trending lower, around 14.58. We opened below both of these trend lines and so have effectively tested them throughout the day.

The RSI(14) is below 52, which seems to place us less bullish than Friday and more mid-window(70-30) for momentum at this level.

I would suppose this is what is stopping us from breaking through? and that we need an external catalyst to breakout of this lethargic price trend and move above the 5 dma?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-19-13 12:39 PM
    Anyone think the big Sony event tomorrow will have anything to do with blackberry as well? There's rumors that the new ps4 may be running on QNX. I find that hard to believe as we would've had some leaks about that by now for sure.
    02-19-13 12:39 PM
    It's only been released in limited markets. Even if the number is impressive for their standards it will inevitably be compared to apple's and samsung's numbers and analysts will spin and say bbry hasn't sold squat. It makes more sense to keep a lid on it for now until it is released in the U.S.
    I don't think anyone would be comparing BBRY to Samsung or iOS esp for a fight for 3rd place, which Thor has said multiple times. Everyone knows BBRY isn't trying to claim 1st or even 2nd place at this moment, so that point isn't hugely valid imo.

It should be a direct comparison to WP8 sales....
    02-19-13 12:41 PM
    Completely right. Even if sales was completely MIND BLOWING and everyone in canada up for an upgrade (assuming 1/3) bought a blackberry Z10 in Canada, that is sales of only 10 million. Compared to the US market with a population of 10x that of Canada. If it doesn't sell in the US, then well, you've just hit your peak sales. For the product needs to see a good sales trend, not a blip on the chart. Initial sales figures can't always give a big picture. I mean, the Playbook which was an utter disaster had a few people line up to get it. Not Apple iPad length, but there were one or two small and short line ups.
    02-19-13 12:46 PM
    stop dipping right now, looks like more articles coming out with the canaccord news
    02-19-13 12:46 PM

Not all companies give sales numbers. Amazon typically doesn't either. Samsung never gives sell-thru numbers, only units shipped, really.
    02-19-13 12:47 PM
    I would expect sales above what Canaccord has revised, but not hugely above. But then I thought any one month estimate in the millions was overdone to begin with.

500-1mm from a launch into a handful of smaller markets would be excellent news. I also expect that the stock market will not treat it as excellent news, and we can expect some sell off.

The real test will come in the next quarter.
    Last edited by Marc_Paradise; 02-19-13 at 01:05 PM.
    s0be likes this.
    02-19-13 12:48 PM
    Canaccord should have their keyboards broken, and left in the woods to freeze. They are completely irresponsible and criminal in their lies.

Other than that, a fine organization...
    02-19-13 12:59 PM
    Anyone think the big Sony event tomorrow will have anything to do with blackberry as well? There's rumors that the new ps4 may be running on QNX. I find that hard to believe as we would've had some leaks about that by now for sure.
    Do you have a link about the PS4 rumour? This is the second time I heard about it today.
    02-19-13 01:23 PM
113,256 ... 225226227228229 ...