View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    1:08 PM BlackBerry (BBRY -6.1%) adds to this week's losses following critical reports from National Bank and Wedge Partners. NB has slashed its estimates, isn't happy with the delayed U.S. rollout of the Z10 and Q10, thinks cash/share might fall by over $1 in FY14, and foresees a major drop in high-margin services revenue as BB7 subs migrate to BB10 (previous). Wedge says it's receiving signs "U.S. carriers are not optimistic" about Z10 sales, and considers iOS/Android "simply too entrenched" within the country. [Tech, On the Move] Comment!
    02-13-13 12:15 PM
    so far, the Z10 has exceeded sales expectations everywhere it has been released.
    this will have to mean something positive when the numbers eventually come out.

any guesses what the stock will be in 2 months time?
    i'm saying $25/share.
    Make it $30 a share
    02-13-13 12:15 PM
    Share is tanking big time, $13 here we go...
    Wall Street has done its job. They wanted to hatchet this thing and here you go. It'll no doubt climb again but only on solid data. They sell, then pepper the airways with bad news stories (even old stuff, makes no difference), then sell again, blowing through a bunch of stops (which greases the fall) and then scoop up a bunch of cheap stocks and wait for the next rise.

At this rate, we'll likely see the underside of $13 by Friday.
    02-13-13 12:25 PM
    Make it $30 a share
    $14
    1:08 PM BlackBerry (BBRY -6.1%) adds to this week's losses following critical reports from National Bank and Wedge Partners. NB has slashed its estimates, isn't happy with the delayed U.S. rollout of the Z10 and Q10, thinks cash/share might fall by over $1 in FY14, and foresees a major drop in high-margin services revenue as BB7 subs migrate to BB10 (previous). Wedge says it's receiving signs "U.S. carriers are not optimistic" about Z10 sales, and considers iOS/Android "simply too entrenched" within the country. [Tech, On the Move] Comment!
    Was just getting ready to paste this! I think this explains a lot for those who are wondering why.
    Dang, the competition is releasing their new flagship phones around this time frame. Not good.
    Apple and Samsung control the carriers in the US...perfectly clear.
    02-13-13 12:29 PM
    Yeah I'd agree with 30$ as the 2 month target
    02-13-13 12:31 PM
    Make it $30 a share
    lol, where you guys get these numbers from?
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    02-13-13 12:34 PM
    lol, where you guys get these numbers from?
    I dreamed about it last night
    02-13-13 12:37 PM
    Yeah I'd agree with 30$ as the 2 month target
    Then you should go buy the April $30 calls. You can get them cheap, .16/share, $16.00 a contract plus some fees. You could control 300 shares for less than $50, 1000 shares for $160+.
    02-13-13 12:39 PM
    I think some of you are missing out on a huge buy single here:

Chart:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-feb-13b-2013-chart.jpg

We just touched the uptrend line, we hit the 40-dma and we have RSI close to a screaming buy again. Look at the downtrend line that started this week, we are a day away from a rally here. They have taken it down to support and there are bids there too, expect it to find support above the lows and set us up for a rally from here. Stop being so depressed, the stock is trading on no news here. Follow the chart.
    02-13-13 12:45 PM
    i'm not depressed. that's why i keep thinking about where the stock will be in 2 months.
    02-13-13 12:47 PM
    I think some of you are missing out on a huge buy single here:

Chart:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIM Feb 13b 2013 Chart.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	135719

We just touched the uptrend line, we hit the 40-dma and we have RSI close to a screaming buy again. Look at the downtrend line that started this week, we are a day away from a rally here. They have taken it down to support and there are bids there too, expect it to find support above the lows and set us up for a rally from here. Stop being so depressed, the stock is trading on no news here. Follow the chart.
    I believe we will break below the trendline... So scary...
    02-13-13 12:49 PM
    Can we stay in the $14 range for a while ? Will have some cash by the end of the week, and I'd love to triple.
    02-13-13 12:51 PM
    if this closes even FIRST ROUND OF VIRTUAL BEER ON ME! tehe
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-13-13 12:51 PM
    We've heard the sales numbers are better then expected, yes.
    Do we know what the expected numbers were, no.

and "better then expected" suggests supply constraint because they weren't expecting so much sell through.
    02-13-13 12:52 PM
    Sorry, wasn't referring to the QWERTY. Samsung and Apple plan to release a great phone around that same timeframe. Doesn't really matter how we feel about those phones, its still competition to the general public. Again, just my opinion.
    I am also worried about Blackberry having enough stock at the end of the month for a US introduction.
    Then you should go buy the April $30 calls. You can get them cheap, .16/share, $16.00 a contract plus some fees. You could control 300 shares for less than $50, 1000 shares for $160+.
    A bit confused. Wouldn't a $30 call mean you had the right to buy the stock at $30?

So it wouldn't have to go fairly well above 30 for that to be profitable?
    02-13-13 12:57 PM
    the expected number was which the carriers thought it would sell. probably in line with investor's expectations.
    it exceeded that.
    can only be viewed as a positive.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    02-13-13 12:59 PM
    Tim Cook is in bed with Obama now, which means he will be pushing hard to get IPhones into government agencies. You can be darn sure that he isn't bringing Apple manufacturing into the US out of the kindness of his heart. If that happens, then BB10 is screwed.
    02-13-13 12:59 PM
    I'm finally in. It went down to what I set a call on. Could've got it cheaper but who knows that ahead of time. OK now go back up and up lol.
    02-13-13 01:08 PM
    Tim Cook is in bed with Obama now, which means he will be pushing hard to get IPhones into government agencies. You can be darn sure that he isn't bringing Apple manufacturing into the US out of the kindness of his heart. If that happens, then BB10 is screwed.
    (very friendly): let's end this apple complex for good. Samsung is nowhere in enterprises, yet they're number 1 and generate piles of revenues. apple in enterprises and governments ? Ok, let's cash some BES10 CALs, no drama. As-of-date that's the only entry apple have for mid-sensitive business/administrations.
    02-13-13 01:11 PM
    I'm finally in. It went down to what I set a call on. Could've got it cheaper but who knows that ahead of time. OK now go back up and up lol.
    Ah ! then it's an official "Wecome aboard" !
    02-13-13 01:17 PM
    Buried under all the negative press release today, here's something not being propagated by the usual suspects.. Anyway, BBRY needs to get this deal done pronto!!!

DUBAI—Research In Motion Ltd. BB.T -5.57% is close to an agreement with telecoms operators in the United Arab Emirates which will allow the manufacturer of BlackBerry devices to offer Internet-based voice and video services for the first time to users in the Persian Gulf country, providing a potential boost to sales of the recently-launched Z10 handset.

RIM has faced resistance in the U.A.E. and other Persian Gulf countries to the launch of so-called Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services because of fears that they would pose a threat to revenue from traditional voice services offered by the region's carriers. In the U.A.E., Dubai-based Du and Abu Dhabi-based Etisalat are the duopoly providers of telecoms services.

Du and BlackBerry confirmed that they have started to test VoIP and Internet video functions on the BlackBerry 10, and said they expect to launch the service to customers soon. Those functions were missing when BlackBerry launched its new device in the U.A.E. on Sunday because both Du and Etisalat had blocked the BlackBerry application which is needed to launch the services.

"Our partners are currently testing the service. They will announce availability when they're ready," a BlackBerry official in Dubai said in an emailed statement. An official at Du confirmed that the new BlackBerry Messenger voice and video services are being tested, but said an agreement to launch the products wasn't yet guaranteed. Etisalat declined to comment.

The launch of RIM's VoIP service, known as BlackBerry Messenger video and voice, would provide the Canadian company with an advantage over rival handset providers in the U.A.E., as its competitors—Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE +1.29% Ltd., Apple Inc. AAPL -0.19% and Nokia Corp. NOK1V.HE -1.69% —are still unable to provide such services. Other VoIP services, such as Apple's FaceTime and Microsoft's MSFT +0.52% Skype, are blocked in the U.A.E., either because they can't be downloaded or because they're not available on smartphone hardware.

"It would be an advantage to have that feature available," said Matthew Reed, principal analyst at Informa Telecoms and Media in Dubai. "It's a clear advantage for BlackBerry."

But the move could damage revenue at the established phone companies, depending on how the operators charge customers for the services. Carriers in the oil-rich Persian Gulf are particularly wary of allowing foreign companies to provide VoIP services because they have high roaming charges and large expatriate populations who need to phone relatives in their home countries.

"In other markets BBM Video would be a nonissue, but it is [a potential issue] for Du and Etisalat because if they give up international calls as a source of profit they would have to look at other ways to win that back," said Edwin Grummitt, head of Middle East at London-based consultancy Analysys Mason. "I cannot see how the operators can commercially make this work."

Traditional voice calls are charged depending on the length of the call and the country receiving the call. VoIP calls are usually free to anywhere in the world, once the user has purchased a fixed-cost data package from a telecoms operator. VoIP services will cost the global telecoms industry $479 billion in lost cumulative revenue by 2020, which represents 6.9 % of cumulative total voice revenue, according to consultancy Ovum.

Etisalat, which is present in 15 countries across the Middle East, Africa and Asia, made revenue in the first nine months of last year of 24.4 billion dirhams ($6.6 billion), while Du, which is present only in the U.A.E., had 7.4 billion dirhams of revenue in the same period. The operators don't break out revenue from voice calls, but analysts say income has fallen as customers have worked out ways to get around the ban on free Internet-based voice services.

BBM is one of BlackBerry's most popular offerings, with more than 60 million active members using the free instant messaging service. In other markets, BlackBerry has offered a voice function for BBM since December on its BlackBerry 7 operating system. It launched the video service on the new BlackBerry 10 late last month.

RIM doesn't break out the number of BlackBerry users in the Gulf region, but analysts say its market penetration is above the global average. Reflecting that popularity, Dubai was chosen by RIM as one of just six cities globally for the launch of the BlackBerry 10 operating system and its two new phones, the Z10 and Q10.

Retailers across the U.A.E. report strong sales of the new BlackBerry Z10, though RIM has declined to provide figures. A launch date for the Q10 in the region hasn't been announced but the handset is expected in the U.S. in April.

A senior executive at EMS, the official distributor of BlackBerry handsets in the U.A.E., said sales had been "mind-boggling" so far for the Z10, but declined to give exact figures and declined to be named as he isn't the official spokesman for BlackBerry.

In 2010 the U.A.E. threatened to ban BlackBerry services in the U.A.E. on security grounds, because the government wasn't able to monitor text messages sent via the BBM system. The two sides subsequently reached an undisclosed agreement to allow BlackBerry sales to continue.

An official at the U.A.E.'s Telecommunications Regulatory Authority, who requested anonymity, said that the BBM voice and video services will also comply with that agreement.
    02-13-13 01:19 PM
    This is I think the 5th time I've thought to myself "I wish I had sold at $17 and then re-bought today at $14ish"
    I am afraid that if I sell, it might not pull back again, and there might be a short squeeze and I'll end up missing on a huge rally. So, I continue to HOLD. But all these swings make me think ..what if I had sold 3 days ago and bought again today? It's crazy watching this stock!
    Charles Martin1 and coldsword like this.
    02-13-13 01:22 PM
    At 16 cents a share plus a few dollars in trading fees it wouldn't take much.
    02-13-13 01:24 PM
113,250 ... 196197198199200 ...