View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    hehehe look at post on crackberry. Rogers states that yesterday they sold the most bb's ever (in a single day) in the history of Rogers.
    02-06-13 03:16 PM
    It is going to be hard to get traction or stock movement by sales #'s. If that is the entire press release, BBRY is smart not to release raw numbers. As soon as they do, the press will (rightly or wrongly) say that is great but is 1/10 or whatever is was of early iPhone sales. This will all be true, but somewhat misleading and be taken as a negative. It is the catch 22 BBRY finds itself in.
    i said the same thing last week.
    02-06-13 03:43 PM
    Does anyone know if they will still be able to track "subscribers" without BIS for BB10? BB10 users don't really subscribe to anything...
    02-06-13 04:03 PM
    Yikes... saw this in another thread. We cetainly don't need headlines like these... (sorry to be a wet rag but this ride is giving me whiplash). I'm just trying to point out that we need real, SOLID news for this thing to fly.

BlackBerry 10: shops deny claims by Thorsten Heins that Z10 phones are selling out - Telegraph
    02-06-13 04:05 PM
    These articles are all over the map, who knows what to believe.

My sell price is $18.00
    02-06-13 04:58 PM
    Yikes... saw this in another thread. We cetainly don't need headlines like these... (sorry to be a wet rag but this ride is giving me whiplash). I'm just trying to point out that we need real, SOLID news for this thing to fly.

BlackBerry 10: shops deny claims by Thorsten Heins that Z10 phones are selling out - Telegraph
    I find it interesting that they called and didn't actually just go to a few outlets and inquire...guess this way they can plead innocence and blame the mysterious clerk whose name they don't have lol. In all seriousness...it doesn't matter, until second, third and even fourth quarter results are released (and they better be spectacular) your not going to shake the big shorts out...don't forget, they made all the way down from high high numbers...just my two cents.
    02-06-13 05:26 PM
    I wish I could gauge how the phones are selling. For every couple of positives I see a negative. Also what you have is loyalists(myself being one) in this forum. So what would be the real skinny? I do care to know how it is being received and selling in the public as this will have an impact on the stock price. The good articles look good! the bad articles look bad. All I know is if it isn't receiving a warm welcome from consumers, we are in for a world of hurt.
    I am starting to feel like I am trying to predict the weather, and or watching the news guy who says its gonna be sunny and we get rain, then they say its gonna be cloudy and it turns out to be hot wtf

The more I try to read into it, the more confused I am getting. The only thing I can say with all convictions, is that I won't have a z10 in my hands till next month thanks to ATT
    nquyen and Geeoff like this.
    02-06-13 05:34 PM
    I wish I could gauge how the phones are selling. For every couple of positives I see a negative. Also what you have is loyalists(myself being one) in this forum. So what would be the real skinny? I do care to know how it is being received and selling in the public as this will have an impact on the stock price. The good articles look good! the bad articles look bad. All I know is if it isn't receiving a warm welcome from consumers, we are in for a world of hurt.
    I can tell you I picked mine up yesterday...everyone that has seen it is very interested (even people I never thought would be stating "thanks, now I have phone envy" lol). My teenage daughter was very impressed and likes it BUT...no instagram no teenagers...it's all about the pictures and sharing for them. Take this as a microcosm of general opinion in little old Alberta...for what that's worth. And yes...if this device craters in sales then there will be people getting hurt, unless you see it coming and short.
    02-06-13 05:45 PM
    For me I just ask myself DO I believe in what Blackberry is doing. In my mind I say 100% yes. As a person who has an Android that has been great for myself, I ask how do I feel about this phone as a possible customer. For me it's an easy switch. EVEN as my own opinion Apple is stale and this phone is really fresh. So ill stick my money on that. STICK WITH what you know about this phone and believe it.

I tried the demo and it blew me away so I imagine it will do that to alot of people as well.

No need to panic thats what the Wall Streeters want.
    morganplus8, MrBurns2U and s0be like this.
    02-06-13 05:53 PM
    Does anyone know if they will still be able to track "subscribers" without BIS for BB10? BB10 users don't really subscribe to anything...
    BIS technically isnt going anywhere since things like BBM are throught BIS. They'll be able to track "subscribers" by the number of active BBM users. (since you cant remove it, they can probably still count you, even if you dont actually BBM).
    Besides, they can still track by marketshare and other methods. where there is a will there is a way.

Sent from my Q.0189b
    02-06-13 05:55 PM
    I think the proper name is Stop Profit. What he wants is to sell once they reach a certain price on the up side.
    That's just called a limit order. if you own ABC and want $25 for it, you place a limit order to sell for $25. The market maker uses this information to match you up with someone that is willing to pay $25.
    02-06-13 06:26 PM
    The momentum has definitely stalled. I think we can expect some pullback soon.
    02-06-13 07:41 PM
    Even without BIS, RIM knows exactly how many users are on BB10. When you set up a new BB10 phone, you still have to go thru RIM's servers and the NOC, and all updates to the devices will be pushed thru it. It is easy for them to know how many devices are out there.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-06-13 08:17 PM
    Que: When does the BB10 make its way to SE Asia?
    02-06-13 08:37 PM
    The stock is trading perfectly well right now. Some consolidation is expected and good for the stock. Even if it pulls back a few points I'd still stay long. Seems like there's news briefs coming out non stop, only need one good one to propel this stock upwards. I can't really think of any news right now that would drive the stock significantly down.

The momentum has definitely stalled. I think we can expect some pullback soon.
    morganplus8 and StormieTwo like this.
    02-06-13 08:42 PM
    So lets do a recap (for my sake, at least)

there are a few ways to make money on this.
    1) Hold
    buy and hold, for, let's say, 6 months (arbitrary number) and longer. (this is me)
    long's are looking for a large price increase, (which may or may not include a short squeeze).

2)Trade
    buy and sell - holding shares (fully invested) for short periods of time. (I think about doing this but I lack the nerve)
    traders are buying the dips and selling the peaks and looking at small price changes, they can take small profits or slowly increase the amount of fully owned shares, if they are successfully timing the market. (BThunderW / lcjr, is this what you guys do?)

3) Options
    Long calls - buying the right to purchase shares at a set price on or before a given date, without an obligation (expect the price to go up)
    Long puts - buying the right to sell shares at a set price on or before a given date, without an obligation (expect the price to go down) (M8, you do both of these, I assume?) (I've thought about this but I haven't opened an options account, derivatives are like stocks on nitrous oxide)

Short calls - selling a call has an obligation to sell the stock to the call buyer at the buyer's option. (expect the price to go down) (the haters!)
    Short puts - selling a put has an obligation to buy the stock from the put buyer at the put buyer's option. (expect the price to go up)

Options trading (aka - derivatives) leverages (magnifies) your investment because for the same amount of money, you control a much larger number of shares. Long options can expire worthless and only lose the amount of the premium. Short puts can have losses up to the value of the stock traded (i.e the stock price goes to zero). Short calls have the potential for unlimited loss (in the form of a short squeeze)

So we have Holders and Traders working with fully vested shares, Long options buying rights to shares with no obligation and Short options selling rights to shares and having an obligation to do so at the buyer's discretion.

So having defined the terms, I'm a Holder, nervous of Trading, but I'd consider going Long on some options because it means that I might be able to stick it to someone who is going Short.

It would be interesting to have a second poll for this thread that shows the percentage of Holders, Traders and Long Option-ers. We can probably leave the Short Option-ers off the list because, well, who in their right mind would come to this forum and announce they are shorting the stock? right?
    Last edited by StormieTwo; 02-06-13 at 09:39 PM. Reason: removed typos
    coldsword likes this.
    02-06-13 08:51 PM
    Sold my Jan 2014 $10 calls and bought Jan 2015 $12 calls. This thing is going to absolutely fly. Wanted to buy myself more time.
    02-06-13 09:04 PM
    Yup. I have two major blocks of shares. One block I play with (trade), the other is long term (I keep adding to this one). I'm waiting for TD Waterhouse to get off their asses and activate options on my account and I'll be spending some cash on April/July calls and perhaps some Leaps.

So lets do a recap (for my sake, at least)

there are a few ways to make money on this.
    1) Hold
    buy and hold, for, let's say, 6 months (arbitrary number) and longer. (this is me)
    long's are looking for a large price increase, (which may or may not include a short squeeze).

2)Trade
    buy and sell - holding shares (fully invested) for short periods of time. (I think about doing this but I lack the nerve)
    traders are buying the dips and selling the peaks and looking at small price changes, they can take small profits or slowly increase the amount of fully owned shares, if they are successfully timing the market. (BThunderW / lcjr, is this what you guys do?)

3) Options
    Long calls - buying the right to purchase shares at a set price on or before a given date, without an obligation (expect the price to go up)
    Long puts - buying the right to sell shares at a set price on or before a given date, without an obligation (expect the price to go down) (M8, you do both of these, I assume?) (I've thought about this but I haven't opened an options account, derivatives are like stocks on nitrous oxide)

Short calls - selling a call has an obligation to sell the stock to the call buyer at the buyer's option. (expect the price to go down) (the haters!)
    Short puts - selling a put has an obligation to buy the stock from the put buyer at the put buyer's option. (expect the price to go up)

Options trading (aka - derivatives) leverages (magnifies) your investment because for the same amount of money, you control a much larger number of shares. Long options can expire worthless and only lose the amount of the premium. Short puts can have losses up to the value of the stock traded (i.e the stock price goes to zero. Short calls have the potential for unlimited loss (in the form of a short squeeze)

So we have Holders and Traders working with fully vested shares, Long options buying rights to shares with no obligation and Short options selling rights to shares and having an obligation to do so at the buyer's discretion.

So having defined the terms, I'm a Holder, nervous of Trading, but I'd consider going Long on some options because it means that I might be able to stick it to someone who is going Short.

It would be interesting to have a second poll for this thread that shows the percentage of Holders, Traders and Long Option-ers. We can probably leave the Short Option-ers off the list because, well, who in their right mind would come to this forum and announce they are shorting the stock? right?
    StormieTwo likes this.
    02-06-13 09:05 PM
    what is a leap?
    02-06-13 09:09 PM
    Seeing lots of advertising on satellite TV for the Z10 by Bell.
    02-06-13 09:12 PM
    what is a leap?
    Long term option contact. Gives you exposure further out than options usually do
    StormieTwo likes this.
    02-06-13 09:12 PM
    Sold my Jan 2014 $10 calls and bought Jan 2015 $12 calls. This thing is going to absolutely fly. Wanted to buy myself more time.
    these are leaps, but i don't understand how they are priced. is that the premium you paid?
    02-06-13 09:16 PM
    Long term option contact. Gives you exposure further out than options usually do
    E.g. Throw money at $20 call options for January 2015. In the long run, we all think it'll do better than $20, so pretty much any amount > $20+premium would be gains. And your investment would be just the premium (around $4 per share right now) This way you can buy about 4x the number of shares with the same amount of money.
    Pro: 4x the gain
    Con: come expiry, you lose everything if the stock is below your call strike
    StormieTwo likes this.
    02-06-13 09:20 PM
    I have a larger batch of stock for long term that I am just sitting on unless the price goes up so much suddenly that I know there's going to be fallback. (E.g. If stock hits $25 tomorrow)

I also have a short term portfolio that I mess around with that is all options. About 50% of these options are long term but the other 50% gives me bipolar disorder everyday. This portfolio requires a great amount of steadiness as it goes up and down by up to 50% in one day. With this portfolio, I'm waiting for some good news and trying to make sure I am buying at support levels only. I'm not the best at it but I'm learning quite a bit about trading and how the general market values certain events and news/rumors.

I don't ever write options though. Too risky for me to lose more than I invested.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    coldsword and StormieTwo like this.
    02-06-13 09:30 PM
    Seeing lots of advertising on satellite TV for the Z10 by Bell.
    Part of the build up to March 15th. I think Thor and Co. have come at this the right way. Sell into the smaller markets with limited inventories to reduce the upfront production costs and generate buzz. Z10s will make their way into the US off-contract and get a lot of interest. If they don't sell, BB won't have a lot of inventory hangng around, if they sell like hotcakes, BB can ramp up production pretty quickly. It also gives them the oppertunity to iron out any production bugs before building up the supply lines. (apple has suffered with production bugs due to the demand for the IP5). The delayed US launch is also an opportunity to grow the app count (I know, I know, but app count is a metric that people will use because its quick and easy). Let's face it, BB knew exactly how long US testing would take. Thor can point the finger at the US carriers because we hate all of them.

I think the stock might fall back a bit on negative sentiment over the rest of the week(ie the initial sales aren't high enough, or there is no sustained demand, or WP overtakes BB in US market for third place, or whatever news the hedge funds push to move the stock down) Maybe I'll follow BthunderW's lead and split my shares into a Hold block and a Trade block!
    Last edited by StormieTwo; 02-06-13 at 09:45 PM.
    bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    02-06-13 09:34 PM
113,256 ... 165166167168169 ...