View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I'm in Canada. Phone is out tuesday. Where are the damn commercials? Wtf?!!

Also, all those with options how does the ticker change affect them? Will they be automatically changed to the new ticker symbol?
    Starting Monday, the ticker symbol is bbry.
    02-01-13 08:57 AM
    I heard on the radio that, twitter tracking (for the 12 hours following the start of the launch) indicated 75% of tweets related to Blackberry were positive. They also said that this was unusually high - higher even than when Apple has a launch event. Can anyone verify that for us?
    02-01-13 09:01 AM
    Should you (maybe, just maybe) have bought RIM shares yesterday? - The Globe and Mail
    After the rout of the past five days, it’s worth asking whether investors should take a chance on Research In Motion Ltd.
    Just to be clear, I’m not saying anyone should. I don't give stock advice. I’m just raising the question amid suggestions from some analysts that the current weakness may be an opportunity. Because at some point soon, RIM’s new BlackBerry 10 offerings are going to hit the U.S. market, the apparent source of the current unease.
    As The Globe and Mail’s Iain Marlow reports, analysts suggest caution amid the later-than-expected launch in the United States, where RIM hopes to make huge strides with its Z10 touchscreen model and, later, the keyboard-equipped Q10.
    Last week, RIM shares were above $18 on the Toronto Stock Exchange. By yesterday’s close, they were at $12.92, having tumbled fast, notably after Wednesday’s launch of BB10 and even in the face of some glowing reviews for the new models.
    In pre-market action this morning, the shares are up by about 3 per cent.
    The new BlackBerrys went on sale yesterday in Britain, and they’ll be in Canada beginning next Tuesday. But they won’t be in the United States until March.
    Some analysts, such as Peter Misek of Jefferies and Co., have recommended buying RIM shares earlier rather than later, because while BB10 sales projections are now lower for the current quarter, they could well be higher for the next. Mr. Misek today reaffirmed his share price target of $19.50 (U.S.) and his “buy” recommendation.
    He’s not alone, though not all analysts feel the same way, some urging caution.
    Mr. Misek says the March launch in the United States shouldn’t surprise anything, even though it did, and that the “upside is underappreciated” for the next two quarters.
    He also thinks that the market is “too pessimistic” where the next quarter’s concerned given the “high carrier support” for BB10.
    He also has higher hopes for RIM’s BlackBerry Mobile Fusion, and the possibility of licensing the new operating system.
    [I might be a little simplistic here]
    (1)Say I have a large long position, with an average around $11-12.
    (2)Say I trust the product and the strategy (last but not least, including "B" plan).

Stock is $18 before launch. I take my approx. 50% gains for a (+/-) large part of my portfolio. I "satellite", they say.By doing so, I secure my gains.

If it rises ... well, I stand still: I've just lowered my potential % gain (still a 50% one, I guess anyone will kill for that) for a fraction of my investment, and I can wait another dip.
    If it dives ... then I have to track the bottom (that's the tricky part) but I keep the gain and buy again at lower price ("double gain" : more shares for the same price). I can do this, because I'm (1) and (2).

If I had a K multiple shares, I've had done ... unfortunately, I haven't. (holly sheep, can you understand that grammar ???? You are geniuses ! lol)
    02-01-13 09:08 AM
    Seems appropriate to jump back into $RIMM on Monday when the name changes to $BBRY.
    Not sure if this is common knowledge, but "LG" used to be "Goldstar" back in the day... and look how well that has turned out for public perception. Let's hope the RIM > BlackBerry change has the same kind of magic on the ticker
    robkd likes this.
    02-01-13 09:09 AM
    Not sure if this is common knowledge, but "LG" used to be "Goldstar" back in the day... and look how well that has turned out for public perception. Let's hope the RIM > BlackBerry change has the same kind of magic on the ticker
    Unlikely - RIM has always been known as BlackBerry to most people not "into" phones.
    02-01-13 09:11 AM
    Unlikely - RIM has always been known as BlackBerry to most people not "into" phones.
    That is true but I know some older people who call their BBs, RIMs.
    02-01-13 09:15 AM
    Ahhhh if that happens then . . . . . . "Life's Good"
    m0de25 likes this.
    02-01-13 09:20 AM
    Very true. For instance, I've been keeping my co-workers up-to-date with the launch and what not. When I did mention Research in Motion it was not understood who they were until I said that they make the Blackberry phone.
    02-01-13 09:24 AM
    yeah, I understand that point... but (RIM/Research in Motion/the dated looking logo) was very corporate looking... and was subject to much fodder, like "Rim Jobs" (when RIM made job cuts) and RIM = RIP, etc. The company name RIM confused the general public more than anything else, so it's refreshing to see them drop this tie to their past and move on with the confidence in the new BlackBerry branding.

The name BlackBerry, along with their logo, was the fruit (pardon the pun) of much marketing and design work, so it's great to see the company itself named with what has turned out to be part of cultural lingo... and not confuse people with... "noooo... Research in Motion is the company that manufactures Blackberry... and Bold and Curve are models of the BlackBerry line"
    StormieTwo and robkd like this.
    02-01-13 09:27 AM
    Google Trends The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-gt-bb10.jpg
    02-01-13 09:27 AM
    HedgeChatter charts ... for what it worse.
    Also noticed that the bullish sentiment is now 63% on nasdaq site ...
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg   The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    02-01-13 09:32 AM
    I think there is something to all the lenovo and blackberry rumors. Reliance communications and lenovo are partnering up in India. Reliance coms only carries blackberries at the moment.

Reliance Comms partners Lenovo in India smartphone push

Summary: Indian telco inks exclusive partnership with Chinese PC giant to sell dual-band smartphones across the country as they both target the sub-US$150 consumer segment.

Reliance Comms partners Lenovo in India smartphone push | ZDNet
    fedakd and m0de25 like this.
    02-01-13 09:48 AM
    I think there is something to all the lenovo and blackberry rumors. Reliance communications and lenovo are partnering up in India. Reliance coms only carries blackberries at the moment.

Summary: Indian telco inks exclusive partnership with Chinese PC giant to sell dual-band smartphones across the country as they both target the sub-US$150 consumer segment.

I'd only want a licensing deal with Lenovo, nothing more.
    02-01-13 09:54 AM
    Could lead to licensing, I don't buy the hardware takeover rumor. see here : http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...rdware-766352/

leafs123 : +1, I'm out of thanks & likes
    02-01-13 09:56 AM
    I'd only want a licensing deal with Lenovo, nothing more.
    I would be happy with OS licensing deal, or hardware OEM deal... nothing that would mess with BB's main draw with corporations/gov't (security)
    leafs123 likes this.
    02-01-13 09:58 AM
    I would be happy with OS licensing deal, or hardware OEM deal... nothing that would mess with BB's main draw with corporations/gov't (security)
    Exactly and that's my fear. Long term I think RIM needs to be an OS company and leave the hardware to someone else. Build a strong ecosystem and OEM will make phones for you.
    02-01-13 10:05 AM
    Exactly and that's my fear. Long term I think RIM needs to be an OS company and leave the hardware to someone else. Build a strong ecosystem and OEM will make phones for you.
    (personal bet) BlackBerry will nowhere put a Chinese company in their core business.
    But, they're welcome as clients.
    leafs123 likes this.
    02-01-13 10:07 AM
    Been watching volume, and in the last few minutes someone(s) have been dumping huge amounts of shares - at least according to my rather primitive real time view from etrade, easily 3 million in the last 15 minutes. While the price dipped down, it held over 13 after a brief drop to 12.98. Gotta think that's a good sign...
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-01-13 10:19 AM
    So basically, a lot of people are buying at ~$13 - is that what provides "support" at this level?
    02-01-13 10:33 AM
    Actually, I believe it was "Lucky Goldstar"! Do you blame them for changing their name?
    just_luc and bungaboy like this.
    02-01-13 10:34 AM
    Been watching volume, and in the last few minutes someone(s) have been dumping huge amounts of shares - at least according to my rather primitive real time view from etrade, easily 3 million in the last 15 minutes. While the price dipped down, it held over 13 after a brief drop to 12.98. Gotta think that's a good sign...
    When I see that kind of decimals ... I cant refrain thinking "computerized".
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    02-01-13 10:36 AM
    For now, I'm extremely bullish on the stock unless it fails to hold todays uptrend line. I can't imagine why it wouldn't hold as we do this all the time as scary as it looks, it is normal trading. Best of luck, I'll try to get caught up here and edit my message once I have all of the facts. Oh yeah, I can't wait to buy the phone, is it good??? Cheers
    Morganplus, not sure if anyone answered you on the phone question. You seem like a busy guy, so here's a summation so far...

General sentiment seems to be positive out in the wild (been reading a lot of first-in-que UK experiences) and here's BThunderW's first impressions that seem to backup what I've reading:

"Here's some thoughts in point form.

* Phone feels very nice in my hand. Typing one handed feels natural
    * Battery life pretty good so far, been off charger since 9am, at 65% right now, been playing with it all day
    * Gestures take some time getting used to. There's some inconsistencies with it depending where you are or what orientation the screen is
    * Very few good apps right now. A lot of the apps SUCK. I mean really, really bad PB ports. Uninstalled tons of apps. I have about 7 apps that I'm currently missing (from Android, all major)
    * Camera is so,so. Took some test pics. It's not terrible but not great either. I wouldn't flaunt it.
    * The keyboard is PHENOMENAL! I really think I'll have a hard time choosing between the Q10 and Z10 when the time comes. I could write about the keyboard for hours. It is really that good.
    * Seems that BBM voice calls are no longer limited to Wifi only as with the 9900
    * The voice control doesn't work well for me. This is not necessarily a bad thing, I'm not an native English speaker so most speech recognition can't get over my accent.
    * Maps/Nav is ok. It's not as pretty as Google Maps but it gets the job done. Could be a little louder tho. One cool feature I found, after sitting stationary for 5 mins, it warns you that it'll disable GPS to save battery.
    * The phone did heat up a bit on me when using Nav.
    * The screen is really very nice. Though I don't know if RIM forgot to add auto-dimming feature or it's just missing
    * Can't figure out how to mark-all-as-read in Hub
    * I wish they did the charging pins on the Z10 as they did with the 9900. I'm gonna miss that.
    * The sleeve that came with the phone is crappy. I'm a holster guy. Can't see carrying this thing in my pocket.

That's all I got so far."

The "big" , trending sticking points with people seem to be:
    -the comparitievly sub-par camera performance in low light
    -perceived mediocre battery life (though, is it worse than other full screen devices? does the new BB battery need a break in-perod? New device-high initial usage syndrome?)
    -lack of big name apps (even though SKYPE and Whatssap have "committed to BB10")
    -some minor OS bugs that can be fixed with updates.
    Other than that, very good sentiment on the devices and new OS!

Media coverage of harware/OS has been sort fo mixed, depending where you look:
    -generally positive to raving from some big names (NY Times, Yahoo, Stephen Fry, CNN)
    -lukewarm-to-hopeful from some tech sites (Endgadget)
    -somewhat negative-biased as expected (BGR)

As far as stock dip at launch?:
    -March US availability (which fairly/unfairly cast BlackBerry as dragging their heels, not caring for US market)
    -Lacklustre/nervous performace by every presenter (other than Vivek Bhardwaj - Global Head of Software Portfolio)
    -Still rumblings of "is it enough"? by some media (ie., the launch didn't impress them as something better than iOS and Android so much)
    -No big WOW announcement or surprises like we were perhaps led to believe.. other than Skype and Whatsapp supporting BB10, with no specific ETA
    -No "bigger picture" emphasis on M2M, just a couple of sentences thrown in on how BlackBerry will usher in a mobile computer system (where were real examples, props, car and medical integration, etc???)
    Last edited by m0de25; 02-01-13 at 12:08 PM.
    02-01-13 10:48 AM
    Actually, I believe it was "Lucky Goldstar"! Do you blame them for changing their name?
    Lol, don't blame them at all! It still is "Lucky Goldstar" ... that's what "LG" stands for.... but they were putting Goldstar on product and after some crappy devices, it seemed to be synonoymous with crap. So, they went with "LG" to shake things up, cacreated a "nice" logo and tagline ... the rest is history
    Last edited by m0de25; 02-01-13 at 11:13 AM.
    02-01-13 10:53 AM
    Gang, a while back BThunderW shared a chart depicting the major shareholders and the number of shares they hold. Can somebody send me the link to that chart so I can keep up with the changes? Many thanks to anyone who can assist.

Last chart I had: http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...es-holders.jpg
    02-01-13 11:17 AM
    Gang, a while back BThunderW shared a chart depicting the major shareholders and the number of shares they hold. Can somebody send me the link to that chart so I can keep up with the changes? Many thanks to anyone who can assist.

Last chart I had: http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...es-holders.jpg
    Look under ownership --- Research In Motion - RIMM - Stock Quotes
    lcjr likes this.
    02-01-13 11:24 AM
113,250 ... 144145146147148 ...