View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    my only issue is Crackberry deliberately made no mention of battery life, other then they had been using it a lot so hopefully it will last a day of normal use.
    i have the feeling battery is under average

But dont forget this is BB10 a brand new platform. it is far from perfect and can only get better with updates. look at the playbook battery for example.
    You could be 100% right, I have no idea, don't have my darn Z10 yet.

Myself I will be buying a second battery only because I know my Z10 will be put through more than average use, what ever average use is these days.
    01-30-13 04:28 PM
    You could be 100% right, I have no idea, don't have my darn Z10 yet.

Myself I will be buying a second battery only because I know my Z10 will be put through more than average use, what ever average use is these days.
    engadget said they put it through their battery test (endless looping of video playback) and got just over 8 hours.
    This isnt terrible, but i imagine average use (txting, odd calls, and occasional internet) should last a working day with a few hours to spare.
    but like you say, have to wait and see. i always keep a charger at work.

And thanks to Android being number one OS, someone always has a charger around, seeing as they comply with the EU regulations.
    Yeah i'm looking at you Apple
    01-30-13 04:34 PM
    It is far from perfect, but it is a good start. As I play with my new Z10 (or Zed 10, whatever that is - JK) I can say for sure that it is a work in progress. It is NOT as fast and responsive as my Lumia 920. I have no clue what battery life will be like, but I am optimistic. It is very nice.

Is it good enough to turn the tide - I don't know. Will take 3-4 months to see sales (not shipping) numbers. I will absolutely be buying a second battery as soon as I can find one.

The stock dropping is very interesting. As I sat there in New York, I didn't feel the energy that I would have expected. Doesn't really matter. The devices will have to sell themselves.

I bought some buy options towards the close. I think the drop was "Buy on Rumors, Sell on News".
    01-30-13 04:38 PM
    After a hundred and thirty odd pages . . . . . . we now have . . . . . the buzzards.
    01-30-13 04:52 PM
    I'm long in principle, but just put a stop loss at $12.50 for my 1600 shares... If it triggers, will buy back if the SuperBowl ad kick as$, lol
    fedakd likes this.
    01-30-13 05:15 PM
    I suppose the good news is that many of the sales projections for BB10 are really low, so it should exceed expectations if they get any new (or returning from other platforms) customers at all.
    01-30-13 05:31 PM
    After a hundred and thirty odd pages . . . . . . we now have . . . . . the buzzards.
    I don't think anyone here truly saw this coming, myself included.
    01-30-13 05:44 PM
    Right, but even if it exceeds expectations, it would just be another means for the big guys to short the crap out of this stock again. Nokia is a recent example with its Q4 earnings report.
    01-30-13 05:48 PM
    I sold after it dropped today and didn't see much in the launch event... Then I short the stock cuz I know people's reactions.... Now I'm just gonna sell..

I'll still be buying a BB10.. But I'm looking at the reviews, even the one on crackberry.. not as impressive as we would have hoped for it to be.
    01-30-13 06:39 PM
    much like the shares went up Jan 11th ( ish ), just weeks before the launch, i expect to see a similar rally leading up to the US release date.
    01-30-13 06:42 PM
    Nah, that should be already priced in. The price started dropping quickly during the launch, and I was trying to figure out why, and then found the WSJ article that was published at that time about the mid-March US release date.
    Not quite yet. There will be people who came home from work today and saw their investments. They'll think "damn, I better sell off tomorrow and move my money" because they're not hardcore watchers like us. These people will probably sell tomorrow morning, so chances are high that it will drop more tomorrow at least during the morning period.
    01-30-13 06:59 PM
    is that morning or mourning?
    m0de25 and Mr.Conviviality like this.
    01-30-13 07:04 PM
    I've pretty much written off my money - it's enough to pay for an all inclusive to Barbados but not worth losing sleep over. Stop losses? Forget that. Ride it like Secretariat or die with it. Hope others in this thread have similarly not lost too much. And here I thought $15 was a great price...
    01-30-13 07:04 PM
    is that morning or mourning?
    i actually chuckled at that
    01-30-13 07:16 PM
    much like the shares went up Jan 11th ( ish ), just weeks before the launch, i expect to see a similar rally leading up to the US release date.
    i don't think there's going to be any rally for the release date unless there's news such as # of people pre-signed up for a phone or something like that. it isn't new news and until the sales figures come out, nobody knows whether selling it in the states will make a difference just because they are launching.
    01-30-13 07:17 PM
    i'm re-watching the launch webcast:

it really isn't bad.
    most of us crackberry users knew what was coming and so it didn't blow our socks off- we've seen it all before.
    but to the average smartphone user, this was their first look.

the keyboard demo was VERY impressive ( auto correct of missed spacing ).
    the apps selection is impressive for a new platform.
    BBM video/ 'screen share' ( feature that seems full of potential ) is great - plus skype.
    multi-tasking is unparalleled.
    time-shift camera feature

the wheels fell off, IMO, when they announced it won't be in the US for a month or more.
    had they said it will be available FEB 5th, they woulda nailed it.

alicia keys is a safe choice to partner with as a celebrity, as she doesn't embarrass herself like other celebs. no one has anything negative to say about her.

i really think this thing will hit bottom, then rise again as we get closer to the US release ( especially if apps such as instragram and netflix are there by then ).
    people who use it will start telling everyone how amazing the product is compared to the competition.
    01-30-13 07:25 PM
    I believe Thor is a brilliant but I would have liked to see the CMO, Frank Boulben on stage. He is very intelligent & articulate and I believe he would have been a valuable asset to today's launch as well as future product launches.
    01-30-13 07:31 PM
    There's another thing to add: instead of just saying mid-march, thorsten said that it's still in "testing" with the carriers. That made it sound like the phone is in beta and may not be approved. Even as a fan of BB those words made my stomach turn. Poor choice of diction in presenting that.

Also, I believe that people expected more of a hardware announcement than just 2 phones that almost everyone in the media already knows about, because the way I remember it, the stock started crashing a little bit before the March figure was announced.

The Alicia Keys part made my stomach turn too. That's great that they are partnering with her, however that was in no way good enough to present as a "really big surprise". That part was half "weird" and half a "letdown". I wouldn't have marketed her that way. A "really big surprise" should have been a new device or a new revenue stream nobody predicted.

I really like the phone. I am bullish long term (June+). I think that making cautious small purchases in the near future as the stock hits bottom is a great idea. Can't be sure of the bottom though. Right now I think the highest probability is $12 as a low with no new bad news. I don't think it will go below that figure simply based on what the company is worth. After reading the transcript of Thorsten's interview in the evening I'd say it sounds like he would consider any good offer of buyout from a big company, which is something that will prevent the stock from dipping too low.
    01-30-13 07:41 PM

The Alicia Keys part made my stomach turn too. That's great that they are partnering with her, however that was in no way good enough to present as a "really big surprise". That part was half "weird" and half a "letdown". I wouldn't have marketed her that way. A "really big surprise" should have been a new device or a new revenue stream nobody predicted.
    +1
    I was like....whaaaa?
    01-30-13 07:49 PM
    Just to be clear, RIM sh1t the bed. I was shocked at how poor their performance was. I have been waiting anxiously over a year for that?! Quick thoughts:

1) The presentation was horrible. Thorsten, don't tell people to "come on" and cheer...it is desperate. Marty (VP Partnerships)...learn how to communicate.
    2) Product...where was the surprise. You said you would save somethings for launch...the only surprise was the US delay
    3) People don't believe you can make it...you needed a sign of approval from a strategic partner. Had Lenovo said they would license your OS, you would have had something.
    4) Don't talk about autos and hospitals. By the time you execute, people won't be driving cars.

A hedge fund (that shorted to the stock) told me that RIM would run out of cash and need to raise capital at a much lower valuation. I laughed at them. Are they right?

Disappointed with myself for believing...for believing that Mike L was a genius...that Roger Martin understood strategy...that Thorsten could execute.
    Mr.Conviviality likes this.
    01-30-13 08:02 PM
    My emotions - Press Conference wasn't that amazing. BUT here's the thing. Every Review I read good or bad im seeing ALOT of comments of people defending. Espcially on Negative Reviews I take this as a really really good sign. If people were like Hmmm your probably right or there were no comments then we should worry. But the fact that people are soo passionate is a great sign.

The thing that will save BB10 is the pricing I think they have done this perfectly. Sure the BB10 might not be the absolute greatest phone but for the price it can't be beat. It's like the Playbook would I ever consider it at $500 no way. But at $200 all of the sudden even with the drawbacks of the playbook it's still amazing for that price. I know they probably lost money on it but im just giving you an example of how pricing can really change the view of a product. BB10 for $199 think it will do really well. Added white phone a great bonus.

I don't think Rim will take over Apple or Androids full market share. However I think they will do really really well where they are. They will be the #3 phone and I think they will AT LEAST be in the conversation of Apple vs Android vs Blackberry. Something Windows phones could never do.

***EDIT** Just saw some information and it seems like its only $150 on a 3 year at Best Buy. SICK Price these things are gonna fly off the shelves. If I weren't moving out of the country in 5 months I would be trading in my phone for sure. $150 is really sweet!
    coldsword likes this.
    01-30-13 08:09 PM
    Just to be clear, RIM sh1t the bed. I was shocked at how poor their performance was. I have been waiting anxiously over a year for that?! Quick thoughts:

1) The presentation was horrible. Thorsten, don't tell people to "come on" and cheer...it is desperate. Marty (VP Partnerships)...learn how to communicate.
    2) Product...where was the surprise. You said you would save somethings for launch...the only surprise was the US delay
    3) People don't believe you can make it...you needed a sign of approval from a strategic partner. Had Lenovo said they would license your OS, you would have had something.
    4) Don't talk about autos and hospitals. By the time you execute, people won't be driving cars.

A hedge fund (that shorted to the stock) told me that RIM would run out of cash and need to raise capital at a much lower valuation. I laughed at them. Are they right?

Disappointed with myself for believing...for believing that Mike L was a genius...that Roger Martin understood strategy...that Thorsten could execute.
    after today it hard to say anything, but over the past years RIM has sold second string phones and they paid for the new OS and still debt free, now they are starting to ship BB10's arguably at a higher profit, so they might be able to make money and then spend it on promo and r&d and continue the cycle.
    of course they are debt free and so they might be able to take on some debt if the share price dives, but then of course if they get the sales going the share price should be healthy .
    who knows what happens next, but i don't see a financing any time soon.
    Last edited by silversun10; 01-30-13 at 08:36 PM.
    01-30-13 08:17 PM
    That $2.9bn in the bank is going to take a hit if they truly advertise these new phones. Whenever they come out.
    And, of course, pay for the Super Bowl ad(s) and Ms. Keys fees.
    01-30-13 08:21 PM
    Yup. Dumped everything. As soon as the March bomb got dropped, I was waiting for a peak and sold it all. Will re-enter when it finds bottom.

I did score a free Z10 though. So that's nice

Out of curiosity, did you make a move today with the lacklustre event?
    Shanerredflag and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-30-13 09:17 PM
    Yup. Dumped everything. As soon as the March bomb got dropped, I was waiting for a peak and sold it all. Will re-enter when it finds bottom.

I did score a free Z10 though. So that's nice

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...79097095_o.jpg
    I did a stop sell at 15 and is planning to get back in when lower. I think there is a bit more room to go. Overall I'm disappointed about the presentation but do think the product is fairly decent to make a dent and wouldn't be surprise if this goes down to 9 or 10 dollar value.

IMHO
    01-30-13 10:06 PM
113,256 ... 137138139140141 ...