View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    From myself, and I'm sure all of us here, thank you, yet again, for taking the time to share with us. You always give us some interesting information and it's greatly appreciated!!
    01-28-13 05:08 PM
    BlackBerry 10 Launch Event Available Via Webcast on January 30th, 2013

January 28, 2013

Waterloo, ON � Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) will be broadcasting the BlackBerry� 10 launch event on January 30th, 2013, via webcast. The event will happen simultaneously in New York, Toronto, London, Paris, Dubai, Johannesburg, Jakarta and Delhi.* This day will mark the official launch of its new platform - BlackBerry 10, as well as the unveiling of the first two BlackBerry 10 smartphones.* Details on the smartphones and their availability will be announced at the event.

A live webcast will be held beginning at 10 am ET, which can be accessed via Research In Motion - Newsroom

Details about BlackBerry 10 can be found at: BlackBerry 10 - Official News and Updates at BlackBerry.com - Global
    01-28-13 05:17 PM
    01-28-13 05:29 PM
    I buy shares so happy I did WHAT HAPPEND ToDAY
    01-28-13 06:38 PM
    On the plus side, the upward gap has been filled as well
    01-28-13 06:41 PM
    I'm not able to be around for the next couple of days and will miss the launch I'm afraid, hope all goes well with you guys .... so make some money for me while I'm away! GL
    I also am not as worried about a correction after today's drop and did purchase more shares today (and more options), however to leave call options on the table and leave for a few days during a major announcement requires a lot of nuts. I still think there's a 25% (gut feeling) chance that public sentiment will judge that whatever is shown on Jan 30th isn't good enough and the stock will head down, which is ok if you are only long but I have some Feb calls to unload. That leaves me 3 weeks to figure out when I think the high in the stock price will be.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-28-13 06:44 PM
    I have a feeling that the stocks are going to fall again on launch day:
    according to this:
    BlackBerry Z10 available on Vodafone UK January 30th | CrackBerry.com

BlackBerry phones no longer require "an additional BlackBerry SOC to access the internet or use any of the BlackBerry services such as BBM or email."
    People will be able to use a normal smartphone plan, meaning less service revenue, meaning shorts will blow that up and the stock will drop.

On the other hand, it looks like the phone is available pretty much immediately, so thats good news.

What do you guys think?
    01-28-13 06:49 PM
    according to this:

BlackBerry phones no longer require "an additional BlackBerry SOC to access the internet or use any of the BlackBerry services such as BBM or email."
    People will be able to use a normal smartphone plan, meaning less service revenue, meaning shorts will blow that up and the stock will drop.

On the other hand, it looks like the phone is available pretty much immediately, so thats good news.

What do you guys think?
    This has already been accounted for as of the last earnings call. Nothing new here.
    01-28-13 06:59 PM
    according to this:

What do you guys think?
    the normal phone plan works for Apple and Samsung, right? and besides BB10 will become more accessible to a wider range of buyers.
    so you have to calculate total buyers by total margin per phone and then see what combo yields the most,
    obviously RIM has done the math and they have chosen accordingly.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-28-13 07:02 PM
    the normal phone plan works for Apple and Samsung, right? and besides BB10 will become more accessible to a wider range of buyers.
    so you have to calculate total buyers by total margin per phone and then see what combo yields the most,
    obviously RIM has done the math and they have chosen accordingly.
    The carriers might ask their employees to promote the BBs more than they used to because they no longer make less profit off each phone per month.
    robkd likes this.
    01-28-13 07:04 PM
    This has already been accounted for as of the last earnings call. Nothing new here.
    It was nothing new when Thor was interviewed and he reiterated that the company is undergoing strategic review just last week and the stock rallied. It wasn't new, but it still rallied.

At this point the stock is going to rally on any good new and drop on any bad new. Whether it's new news or old news.
    01-28-13 07:12 PM
    Hi gang,

Thought I would post my last chart on RIM and make a few comments here.

Here's the chart:
    Attachment 132853

Other than a big correction, we are actually running along well within the channel here with little support at this level. It was the 5-dma that got us to $ 18.00 from $ 11.50 a couple of weeks ago. The area between the trendlines is the tradeable area and we are making good use of that area! I wrote some puts today to acquire more shares at the equivalent of $ 15.00/shr (Feb $ 17.00 puts), as you can see, I'm bullish on RIM and don't mind sticking it out here. Today, we opened above the 5-dma, held it nicely until the mysterious time of 10:00 AM when the market got flooded with shares. All of this looks like the shorts taking one more run at the stock here. We formed a small pennant at the top of the recent run, and as you can see, each of the last three days the stock saw lower highs which is not bullish at all.

So what's it all mean? I like corrections within a bull run, they are the best thing to setup another run and now I feel its only a matter of time before we reach $ 19.00/shr, possibly this week. Tomorrow I hope we can find support in the morning and close up on the day setting us up for a really nice run on Wednesday. Without this correction, I wasn't bullish on launch day, but now I am. The RSI was grossly over-bought this morning, well above 70 RSI, now it is neutral again sitting at 61.48 so we aren't over-bought, we have some support at the 10-dma which is just below our close and major news coming, that spells rally!! I would like to say one last thing, the slope of this upward channel is such that we are projecting $ 30.00/shr by the end of May 2013. If we just trade within this channel and try not to do anything special here, just rally and correct and rally again, we will get to $ 30.00, that is amazing, so let's not forget that this stock doesn't have to move much to make us a ton of money here.

I'm not able to be around for the next couple of days and will miss the launch I'm afraid, hope all goes well with you guys .... so make some money for me while I'm away! GL
    Thanks again for taking time to explai things. I agree 100% with your analysis. I commented exact same thing on other sites. The pullback and consoldation is the requirment, healthy as it did few times in last 3 months if you look at the chart. It is just fueling the gas before it takes off..a pit station before back to the race track. I just can not wait for that squeeze..it has to happen..sooner or later.
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    01-28-13 07:30 PM
    The carriers might ask their employees to promote the BBs more than they used to because they no longer make less profit off each phone per month.
    Not just that, but if RIM required a minimum quantity, they'll be more inclined to move stock.
    01-28-13 07:30 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-crystal-ball.jpg

This guy says..keep calm and go long.
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 01-28-13 at 08:15 PM.
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    01-28-13 07:48 PM
    Pretty sure the stock dipped today because everyone forgot to do the #RIMDance.

Let's not screw this up again tomorrow, work those thumbs.

You'de better learn the #RIMDance !!! Officialy proven raise effect LOL

01-28-13 08:19 PM
    Hi all,

i have been following this thread recently and looking forward to getting into the action by buying RIM shares. I am a student and this will be my first investment as i just set up my itrade account with scotia. I noticed the price has finally dropped today after steadily rising over the last week or so. Is it the right time to get in now at around $16.25? or is it better to wait till just before launch (tues close) to get in? would appreciate your expert opinions!
    (all previous advices apply ...)
    There's a simple rule (that doesn't tell you when to invest) that you must remember as a "week-end investor".
    NEVER invest a dime you can't afford to lose 100%. Usually, if a metric can be set, it means no more than 15% of you available cash.
    Take a measurement that is simple for you to put in line with your lifestyle; in my case, it was 5-6 good dinning out. I can balance that easily, by making dinners at home.
    01-29-13 01:42 AM
    Pretty sure the stock dipped today because everyone forgot to do the #RIMDance.

Let's not screw this up again tomorrow, work those thumbs.
    LOL ... let's see if this works today

Edit : mhhh ... wondering ...
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-29-13 at 06:22 AM.
    01-29-13 03:04 AM
    II would think the big question following yesterday would be...how many short options and what is their strike price/date (overall)? Then we could gauge if the bulls or the bears are going to win this thing. Is there a way to find that info?
    01-29-13 07:24 AM
    II would think the big question following yesterday would be...how many short options and what is their strike price/date (overall)? Then we could gauge if the bulls or the bears are going to win this thing. Is there a way to find that info?
    RIMM Options | Research In Motion Limited Stock - Yahoo! Canada Finance
    01-29-13 07:47 AM
    Thanks much
    01-29-13 08:05 AM
    Did you guys see this? If it's true that is a very bullish sign of things to come. CEO putting his money where his mouth is.

11:15 AM EST - Research In Motion Limited (RIM): Thorsten Heins purchased 65,787 shares at $18.1731 on 01-28-13 -- bringing his total stake to 96,473 shares

http://baystreet.money.ca.msn.com/qu...dertrades.aspx
    01-29-13 08:18 AM
    $15.79 on TSX. ouch.
    never thought i'd see that number again.
    01-29-13 08:32 AM
    Yeah, it's the same on the NASDAQ.
    01-29-13 08:34 AM
    i got in today morning at $16/share. lets go RIM!!!
    01-29-13 08:36 AM
    i wish i had sold all my shares first thing yesterday morning ( $18/share ) and bought back in this morning.
    damn.
    01-29-13 08:37 AM
113,256 ... 119120121122123 ...