View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Wow, over 5 Million shares sold in that dip.
    01-28-13 09:36 AM
    Wow, over 5 Million shares sold in that dip.
    Yep and then a big aapl buy, things that make one go wtf,lol.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    01-28-13 09:40 AM
    FYI, USD rallied vs CAD recently, and so RIMM.OQ appears to have dipped more than RIM.TO. You guys have to keep FX in mind when talking about price trends.
    01-28-13 09:43 AM
    is there a change in margin requirements in relation to RIMM?
    01-28-13 09:47 AM
    Why, maybe AAPL will be the big value play now? Down +/- 40% from its high, trading at 10x earning and paying over a 2% dividend. Not saying I would buy it, but on paper it looks OK. I just hope it isn't the start of a rotation out of RIMM and back into Apple, it sure did seem to be the reverse the last few months.... Just another reason to be wary here.
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 01-28-13 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typo
    01-28-13 10:00 AM
    I big dip like this just a couple of days before BB10 is not good news for RIMM!
    01-28-13 10:11 AM
    This "dip" is manufactured inho.
    01-28-13 10:19 AM
    I think that after the big run up of the past four months, there are a lot of people taking profit before the launch. No one ever went broke taking a profit, right?
    so expect some (more) volatility as the shorts 'churn the float' and longs "lock-in" their profits. For me, I'll stay long and hope that BB10 knocks everyone's socks off on the 30th.
    I'm not a sports fan but this is like waiting for your favorite team to play the final game of the season! I'm on pins and needles!

Oh, and apple is bussing about a 128gb ipad so they are making another incremental improvement to their aging lineup. the apple faithful will be seeing this as a sign of big things to come.
    01-28-13 10:27 AM
    In fairness, the time to buy is generally not right after a stock has tripled in value in a mere 6 months. One might assume that much of the good news and hype is priced into the stock. With that said, explain to me why an institutional investor would want to speculate immediately ahead of the Jan 30th announcement. Seems like a way for a portfolio manager to lose his job if he were to guess wrong. The smart money is only speculating while there is a discount to the breakup value. Sure, if something actionable about BB10s crystalizes, things will change. Feel free to speculate, but you don't know more than the professionals.
    I'd argue that both individual investors and professionals don't really know much about what is going on most of the time. Probably best to do your own due diligence and research, keeping in mind that we're prone to weigh info that supports our biases much heavier than info that goes against it.
    01-28-13 10:27 AM
    Aapl and value play,lol,hardly.
    Why, maybe AAPL will be the big value play now?
    01-28-13 10:29 AM
    I big dip like this just a couple of days before BB10 is not good news for RIMM!
    RIMM's been going up and down quite a bit on no substantive news, so I don't see why it matters too much in the long run.
    nquyen and Acumenight like this.
    01-28-13 10:33 AM
    I think that after the big run up of the past four months, there are a lot of people taking profit before the launch. No one ever went broke taking a profit, right?
    I dunno man, they had all last week to do such. Those big sells 2 days before launch stink to high heaven, sorry just my humble opinion.
    01-28-13 10:33 AM
    Looks like there is going to be a lot of profit-taking today and tomorrow driving the stock price further down. Maybe $15 - $16?

Wednesday is when stock will move up or down based on news/launch. As morganplus8 said, news trumps everything. I expect launch to be specular so I think there is more than even chance of stock rallying up on Wednesday onwards.
    bungaboy and Acumenight like this.
    01-28-13 10:35 AM
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-28-13 10:36 AM
    Aapl and value play,lol,hardly.
    I'd have to say that I have a bit in AAPL as well. Even if you expect tepid earnings growth, they seem pretty reasonably valued.
    01-28-13 10:36 AM
    I think this news triggered the RIMM dip. It is all about news/rumors.

Lenovo to take over RIM? Not so much, says Lenovo
    Lenovo to take over RIM? Not so much, says Lenovo | ZDNet
    01-28-13 10:37 AM
    This "dip" is manufactured inho.
    I think so as well. RIM is still below Book value with 135 million shares short and a couple of days before one of it's biggest launch . So we have a stock BELOW its book value of $18-19 and you have 30% of RIm shares short meaning people have sold shares are have to buy them back. It also never hurts taking profits. I hope alot of weak hands were taken out.
    bungaboy and Acumenight like this.
    01-28-13 10:38 AM
    10 times earnings multiple, paying a dividend and sitting on boat loads of cash fits many investors definition of a value stock. S&P multiple is about 15 right now, so it trades at a 50% multiple discount. You might not like it, but just wondering what definition or parameters you would consider?

Edited to add link:

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...lue-stock.aspx
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 01-28-13 at 10:44 AM. Reason: add link
    01-28-13 10:38 AM
    Morganplus8, any chance the large chunk sold was meant to trigger a whack of stop loss?
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-28-13 10:39 AM
    I would like to see the # of short RIM following today...AAPL up over 13.50 and RIM hovering -1.00 ...appears same game of long vs. short strategy is taking place.
    That said, GO RIM
    01-28-13 10:54 AM
    This sell-off may have be due to the lower app pricing introduce this morning for UK and Euro subscribers. A knee-**** reaction similar to the previous announcement of the new fee structure for BB10 on Dec 20th.
    01-28-13 10:56 AM
    I'd expect there to be a rally before the end of the day that'll bring it most of the way back up.

This is likely the last big dip before the launch. Last chance to shake the tree and see what falls out.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-28-13 11:02 AM
    10 times earnings multiple, paying a dividend and sitting on boat loads of cash fits many investors definition of a value stock. S&P multiple is about 15 right now, so it trades at a 50% multiple discount. You might not like it, but just wondering what definition or parameters you would consider?

Edited to add link:

Is Apple Now Officially a Value Stock? (AAPL)
    Is Research In Motion a Star While Apple Is a Dog?

From some weeks back but nailed it!
    Anyway I don't want to clog this thread up with more aapl vs RIM but you can certainly PM me if you want to continue a conversation of such.
    01-28-13 11:02 AM
    I posted this yesterday.
    Would like to add #5. Collect enough voting rights to vote to delist from NASDAQ. Watsa delisted Fairfax from NY - sick of the BS.
    Nobody has a #6. Voting rights have to be good for something .

Back to the short position talk. It looks to me like all this shorting has another purpose - someone is shorting RIM, then buying an equal number of shares and just sitting on them. Now they have some cash in hand, have to pay a small fee to maintain the short, and have control a bunch of stock. The future price has no bearing as they are dollar neutral (both long and short). What's the point? The voting rights are now with the new owner, the guy who unknowingly loaned out the shares lost them. The cost is minimal and there is no risk. Now what? (I'm not a finance or business guy - so a llittle help?)
    1. Hostil takeover? If a company has voting rights for say 100 million shares of RIM, and they gain control of another 163 million through partnerships, options or buying on the open market, and get 51% can then then vote to buy RIM at a 20% to 40% premium? Like $22.....I'd be choked.
    2. RIM insiders are collecting these voting rights to stop a takeover and reduce the pool of shares eligable for loaning.
    3. RIM insiders are planning on going private?????? I'd be really choked if I got bought out at $22 and RIM went on to generate 100s of billions in revenue. No f'ing way would I be buying anything from BB.
    4. Maybe they are legitimate shorts....pretty ballsy.... if RIM pops $10, thats $1.4 billion in losses.
    So - to stop aholes from shorting your stock ....put it up for sale, tranfer it to RRSP, ask for certificate. The big boys are in total control, but at least you will know you did your part.
    01-28-13 11:04 AM
    This sell-off may have be due to the lower app pricing introduce this morning for UK and Euro subscribers. A knee-**** reaction similar to the previous announcement of the new fee structure for BB10 on Dec 20th.
    To be fair that was a long time coming and hardly goes to bottom line in any relevant way. Has more to do with keeping in line with currency fluctuations in a timely manner.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the app dev still has the right to change their pricing also up/down, so in reality what transpires is a situation of price/value/content/sales +/- based on such. Currency fluctuation corrected is an aside.
    01-28-13 11:05 AM
113,250 ... 116117118119120 ...