View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    now hold on there Tom, apples hybrid kernel has proven to be a very good system, and android is based on linux (a millions monkeys with a million keyboards will eventually write a masterpiece), Apple could figure out a way to interface with non-core hardware and still maintain control. I don't think Tim Cook is the man to do it though.
    True but what worked in the past and what the future trends show do not always mesh, early adopters have the advantage. The PC market decline is an early warning sign imho, RIM is well positioned.
    01-26-13 02:51 PM
    MorganPlus8, I was wondering if you could clear up some basic problems I am having understanding call options.
    If I have an option that expires on Sept 21, 2013 and I want to exercise that option, what happens?
    How do I pay for it if I am just leveraging and putting the premium up? Do I have to turn around and sell it immediately?
    Is there a cost to doing it that way? What I mean is, is there another fee to turn around and sell it?
    You wouldn't. The only reason you would exercise an option and not purchase in the open market is if using the option gave you a cheaper price. By definition then, your option has to be in the money. If it was expiring in September, 2013 (quite a few months) it's also going to have a premium in it's price reflecting that period of time. You would sell the option, and purchase on the open market.
    01-26-13 02:52 PM
    lots of micro kernels exist but QNX has an advantage. its already embedded in millions of systems, from airports to electrical grids. and now rim has a secure way to interface with them all. no company/government in the world would take the risk of replacing a proven sytem with a 30 year track record of stability just so apple (or sombody else) can interface with it. Yeah, there might be a better kernel, but it will take years of infrastruture replacement to phase it in.
    We are talking about consumer smartphones. Can Apple develop a better microkernel (or buy one) and an OS that sits on top of it which will allow it to be as efficient and as secure as RIM's? In this case, whether or not QNX runs electrical grids is irrelevant. Governments are using Apple's current OS so they won't shy away from using another one if they think it is as good.
    Acumenight likes this.
    01-26-13 03:02 PM
    are we talking about consumer cellphones? or are we talking about mobile computing platforms that interact with the machines we've built? time will tell i guess.
    01-26-13 03:06 PM
    You wouldn't. The only reason you would exercise an option and not purchase in the open market is if using the option gave you a cheaper price. By definition then, your option has to be in the money. If it was expiring in September, 2013 (quite a few months) it's also going to have a premium in it's price reflecting that period of time. You would sell the option, and purchase on the open market.
    OK, what I don't understand is that at some point the option expires and becomes worthless. So someone has to eventually exercise it before then, don't they?
    01-26-13 03:11 PM
    are we talking about consumer cellphones? or are we talking about mobile computing platforms that interact with the machines we've built? time will tell i guess.
    Apple can do the same thing as RIM is doing. RIM isn't magical. Are you saying the QNX micro kernel was not stable initially and only after 30 years has it become so?
    As long as Apple can create a fairly stable OS, people will be happy. Over time, it would gain a good reputation and then possibly be used for other verticals.
    Apple has time on its side as of now, RIM doesn't.
    Just because Apple's stock is going down doesn't mean it is going out of business soon.
    01-26-13 03:14 PM
    I think it just expires, you pay for the option to buy the share at a given price. you don't have to excerise the option.
    01-26-13 03:14 PM
    Apple can do the same thing as RIM is doing. RIM isn't magical. Are you saying the QNX micro kernel was not stable initially and only after 30 years has it become so?
    As long as Apple can create a fairly stable OS, people will be happy. Over time, it would gain a good reputation and then possibly be used for other verticals.
    Just because Apple's stock is going down doesn't mean it is going out of business soon.
    Go read some QNX white papers, M2M etc. RIM is and will be magical going forward and no AAPL can't do the same OS as RIM, unless RIM licenses it to AAPL. Not sure why you take that to heart, it's business,relax,lol.
    bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    01-26-13 03:24 PM
    hey, i'm not saying that apple is going out of business, and RIM does have its back up against the wall, its true.
    Look, Apple evolved the smartphone, and now lots of people are on the apple bandwagon because their friends are. it was the same story for RIM in 2004. now rim bought this little known kernel that just so happens to be a major backbone for our civilization. Apple could create the worlds most stable kernel tomorrow but it wouldn't have an eco-system to work with. Apple built the iOS ecosystem from the ground up. RIM found one in the wild that has really deep roots and now needs a gardener to spruce things up. Thorsten has a team of green thumbed gardeners doing just that.
    01-26-13 03:24 PM
    I think it just expires, you pay for the option to buy the share at a given price. you don't have to excerise the option.
    The point is, I want to exercise it in this hypothetical situation. So how do I do that? I don't have the $20/share to actually buy it because I was leveraging by using the call option.
    Now I want to buy it because it has gone up to $30. Do I take out a loan? Do I have to automatically write a call option at the going rate and take my profits?
    01-26-13 03:25 PM
    OK, what I don't understand is that at some point the option expires and becomes worthless. So someone has to eventually exercise it before then, don't they?
    You answered your own question. If not exercised the option expires worthless and you are out of pocket for you investment. A lot of people use options as an insurance policy against a long or short position and like any insurance policy if you don't use it over its stated time frame it expires worthless You then renew your policy. Or not.
    01-26-13 03:25 PM
    So where is the CrackBerry party in Toronto tonight?
    01-26-13 03:26 PM
    So where is the CrackBerry party in Toronto tonight?
    We will tell you only if you wear a QNX t-shirt , show up with a Blackberry mug and know the secret handshake,lol.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-25.jpg  
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-26-13 03:33 PM
    Do you seriously think I haven't looked already?
    Think he was just trying to help you.
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-26-13 03:45 PM
    The last earnings call was on Dec. 20/12. Phones that are available for sale in February alone could be very exciting for earnings results. Phones sold in Feb. would end up in the next earnings call in March, correct? They sold just over 7 million phones last quarter, I'd imagine they could do maybe a quarter of that here in Canada alone with all the pent up demand. I think phones available in February would be a very "share price" friendly event. We shall see.
    01-26-13 04:21 PM
    The last earnings call was on Dec. 20/12. Phones that are available for sale in February alone could be very exciting for earnings results. Phones sold in Feb. would end up in the next earnings call in March, correct? They sold just over 7 million phones last quarter, I'd imagine they could do maybe a quarter of that here in Canada alone with all the pent up demand. I think phones available in February would be a very "share price" friendly event. We shall see.
    As great as that would be, I highly doubt we'd see those kind of numbers from the Canadian market in less than a month. I do think the numbers will be good as each Rogers store I call for info tells me the demand seems to be pretty darn good, but not that good that soon.
    01-26-13 04:33 PM
    The point is, I want to exercise it in this hypothetical situation. So how do I do that? I don't have the $20/share to actually buy it because I was leveraging by using the call option.
    Now I want to buy it because it has gone up to $30. Do I take out a loan? Do I have to automatically write a call option at the going rate and take my profits?
    An option to buy at $20 is exactly that: If you can come up with $20, you can buy it.
    01-26-13 04:59 PM
    Sorry, but I have been reading about it and watching videos. There is one part that doesn't seem to get mentioned. Maybe it is obvious and I am just missing it or maybe I am assuming something that I shouldn't.
    I just thought Morgan could clarify it instead of me watching more and more videos.
    Let's say, you bought 100 CALL options (at strike price $11) expiring Sep 2013.
    This means, you can purchase 100 shares @ $11 each share. To exercise your option, you call your broker and let them know you'd like to exercise your CALL option.
    Even if the share price today is $17.5, the broker would have to give you share for $11.

In my case, my broker is QuesTrade so I'd simply call QuesTrade trading desk to exercise my option.
    01-26-13 05:20 PM
    You'd need to have the money to purchase the shares at the strike price. So a $20 call option would require you to commit $2000 + any options exercise fees. If you can't or don't want to do that, you'd sell your call option.

You could always sell your call option(s) and then purchase a lesser amount of shares. That may actually be advantageous depending on whether there was any time value left in the option and what you are being charged for trading commissions.

For example, if the stock was at $25, the option strike price was at $20, you had 5 call options, and the call options were trading at $5.50 each, you could sell your 5 options for $2750 and purchase 110 shares.

You probably should be careful about overextending yourself by borrowing too much money to purchase shares though. Margin calls can force people to liquidate some of their positions at disadvantageous times, and RIM is a pretty volatile stock.
    01-26-13 05:38 PM
    This means, you can purchase 100 shares @ $11 each share. To exercise your option, you call your broker and let them know you'd like to exercise your CALL option.
    Even if the share price today is $17.5, the broker would have to give you share for $11.

In my case, my broker is QuesTrade so I'd simply call QuesTrade trading desk to exercise my option.
    I believe the question being asked is (using your price example)...is there a way to collect the $6.50 "profit" on the 100 shares ($650.00) directly without having to first buy the 100 shares at $11 (Spend $1100) and the resell the shares for $17.50 per share? Can you trade the option and directly get the $650?
    01-26-13 05:42 PM
    As great as that would be, I highly doubt we'd see those kind of numbers from the Canadian market in less than a month. I do think the numbers will be good as each Rogers store I call for info tells me the demand seems to be pretty darn good, but not that good that soon.
    The numbers we'll see this fiscal quarter will reflect initial carrier orders and things like the increased orders we've heard about based on early demand.

Next fiscal quarter we'll see numbers actually driven by (but not directly reflecting) consumer purchases.
    01-26-13 05:42 PM

If you log into your Questrade account, there is a web form you just fill in.
    01-26-13 09:11 PM
    Yes, this would be accomplished by selling your option. In fact, the majority of option contracts are never excercised, they are sold in the markets.

The numbers we'll see this fiscal quarter will reflect initial carrier orders and things like the increased orders we've heard about based on early demand.

Next fiscal quarter we'll see numbers actually driven by (but not directly reflecting) consumer purchases.
    01-27-13 01:22 AM
    now 55%+ positives in the thread ... good trend !
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-27-13 06:46 AM
    Is sounds like you're looking for cash settlement, with a restriction being that you can't sell the option (It's been held until after close on the final trading day for any reason).

My understanding on US equity options is that they don't cash settle, but are automatically exercised if in the money at close to preserve their value. The stock then transfers to your account. If you don't have the money in the account to cover the cost, it's then up to your broker's credit department as to if they want to extend credit/ or request immediate sale of the stock (which wouldn't occur until open the next trading day). I've spoken with TD Waterhouse about this previously because I trade RIM inside my TFSA, and legally I can't add funds to the account/ or make any type of credit purchase: Their response was basically "Don't do that, sell it before close. If you hold until expiry on this account, likely your ability to trade options will be removed".
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and fedakd like this.
    01-27-13 06:48 AM
113,250 ... 112113114115116 ...