View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    [quick topic "police", sry]
    I'm amazed how this thread has been kept clean and insightful. While I agree the current variation of appl stock might influence RIM's one, please avoid pulling the topic to this area.
    [/ quick topic "police", Thank you]
    plasmid_boy and Geeoff like this.
    01-25-13 09:08 AM
    Shak'in out weak hands this morning,thank god!
    01-25-13 09:25 AM
    My Rogers contact texted me;
    He's still in BB10 training, and FEB 5th is the release day.
    No mention of price yet.
    01-25-13 09:38 AM
    I've posted more info in the "z10 released on Jan 31st" thread, if anyone's interested.
    01-25-13 09:49 AM

I've only been thinking about one side of this trade (RIM). How do you roll up a trade where you shorted RIM to purchase AAPL? You sell AAPL, and buy RIM.
    Problem.....what if the AAPL decline and the RIMM rally is temporarily. What if they sold AAPL and bought RIM today and in 4 months, AAPL is back up to $700 while RIM is down to $9?
    Not that I'm saying thats going to happen or not. But I bet you those that did that trade: buying AAPL and shorting RIM, will be thinking about the what IFs.
    01-25-13 09:51 AM
    Problem.....what if the AAPL decline and the RIMM rally is temporarily. What if they sold AAPL and bought RIM today and in 4 months, AAPL is back up to $700 while RIM is down to $9?
    Not that I'm saying thats going to happen or not. But I bet you those that did that trade: buying AAPL and shorting RIM, will be thinking about the what IFs.
    Then I suppose "they" should sell RIM today and move on.
    What is YOUR plan?

Flipside: What if apple has peaked and will see $300 this year and RIM $40?

"Indeed, Apple shares will never get back to $700, says The Economist. The stock has recovered after being "mauled by bears" before, but this time is different. "
    01-25-13 10:04 AM
    Then I suppose "they" should sell RIM today and move on.
    What is YOUR plan?

Flipside: What if apple has peaked and will see $300 this year and RIM $40?

"Indeed, Apple shares will never get back to $700, says The Economist. The stock has recovered after being "mauled by bears" before, but this time is different. "
    Well, I never bought Apple stocks nor shorted RIM stocks in the first place so I don't have to figure out a plan for that. :P
    I'm going to try riding RIM up to the top.
    01-25-13 10:19 AM
    ... and we're back on the RIM shares topic, right ?
    thank you
    01-25-13 10:21 AM
    Enjoy the ride.

Well, I never bought xxxxx stocks nor shorted RIM stocks in the first place so I don't have to figure out a plan for that. :P
    I'm going to try riding RIM up to the top.
    01-25-13 10:21 AM
    Ok, looks like it's darn near ready to pop!

Research in Motion Limited (RIMM) Interactive Chart Analysis - NASDAQ.com

Jan 15 ground hog day x2

Will it be today or Monday, oh decisions decisions shorts have to make, hang on through the weekend or not, ouch!
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-25-13 10:28 AM
    Ok, looks like it's darn near ready to pop!

Research in Motion Limited (RIMM) Interactive Chart Analysis - NASDAQ.com

Jan 15 ground hog day x2
    What does pop mean? I mean, I know it means that it went up by a significant percentage in a short time. So, it's trading at $18. When you say, it's ready to pop, you mean, you expect it to gain 10-15%? So, close at $19.8 to $20.5?
    01-25-13 10:31 AM
    That's likely the thoughts of whatever funds are involved in that. "What if it turns around?"

They're betting on two things:

1) Apple to provide earnings/guidance in excess of expectations (They didn't)
    2) RIM to miss the release of BB10/or present a product that no-one wants to buy (bad bet)

They're taking losses every day right now. It's just a question as to how long before the losses become to large. I'm very interested in looking at the NASDAQ short numbers when they're released tonight.

Not going to respond any further on this topic. I will start a different thread if there isn't one.
    01-25-13 10:33 AM
    Insightful, read : RIM: Thorsten Heins Makes Sure Nothing Is Lost In The Translation - Seeking Alpha
    If you are a trader you may want to consider doing the same and look to buy on a pullback. Long-term investors may want to consider a "core and satellite" strategy wherein they keep there "core" long term (and hopefully low basis) holdings in place and trade a small (typically no more than 10% of their core) of their "satellite" holdings, selling into rallies and buy on dips.
    Heins may seem to have his back to the wall in this battle for smartphone market share but he's got bigger plans for RIM on the horizon and if he can hold the line here with BB10, RIM is going be a great long-term investment. In the short term, caution is the name of the game for investors at these prices. Take your gains, but don't count RIM out.
    01-25-13 10:39 AM
    I'm very interested in looking at the NASDAQ short numbers when they're released tonight.
    As am I. I'm willing to bet there are 120 short still, more the better. Squeeze like an over ripe orange, discard,lol.
    01-25-13 10:41 AM
    unless i'm reading this incorrectly, there appears to be a general comfort developing with $18... which is a good thing
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-25-13 10:51 AM
    VWAP = Excellent!
    Churning float.

unless i'm reading this incorrectly, there appears to be a general comfort developing with $18... which is a good thing
    01-25-13 11:09 AM
    I just bought 35 shares, very exciting moment! :-D
    01-25-13 11:11 AM
    Some would say resistance at $18 (Morgan could comment better then me on that).
    01-25-13 11:13 AM
    I reckon that shorts increased. as of 1-15-13, but has decreased since then.
    01-25-13 11:25 AM
    As am I. I'm willing to bet there are 120 short still, more the better. Squeeze like an over ripe orange, discard,lol.
    I think we will see over 140 million share short. Also lets try to keep the topic on RIMM like superfly has been saying plus lets keep the small talk to a min. Lets keep this thread #1 informative
    01-25-13 11:26 AM
    There might be a plateau developing at $18. This could be a good thing in that it forms a base (or foundation) for further upside movement. But it could also mean that the price is meeting resistance at that level which means it will take a bit of time before it breaks through (if it breaks through).

We've had quite the bull run over the last few months, so it would make sense for the stock to take a breather shortly before Jan 30. We really need to see BB10 released, and the public's reaction to it, before we know what this stock will do next.....
    01-25-13 11:48 AM
    anyone catching the exchange between Ackman and Icahn on CNBC? Ah man, it's juicy. Cursing and everything.
    01-25-13 11:52 AM
    Conclusion ?

I've made an initial tiny investment with that in mind and a target frame of 3-5 years.
    Following the stock is exciting and educational, but so far, I can barely read its move afterwards.
    I trust M. Heins and the whole RIM team.
    I stand, I do not play against the beast and I believe in 3-5 years, I won't have lost a penny (understatement) ... and I may well pay that used car for my daughters I was somehow "dreaming of" 18 months ago. I believe I can imagine its color, right now.

I support RIM [vision, strategy and goals] and I bought shares [because I believed this would be proven true].
    I am the same, in for the long run.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-25-13 11:53 AM
    And while RIM’s fortunes have changed markedly, Canadian carriers are once again playing a critical role in the company’s product launch.

Andrew MacLeod, RIM’s country director for Canada, said in a recent interview that RIM is banking on “strong and healthy” relationships with Rogers, BCE, Telus and regional carriers Wind, Videotron and Mobilicity to heavily promote the new product line.

“BlackBerry in many ways got its start with these wonderful relationships we have with the Canadian carriers,” the executive said.

Sheer economics are also playing an important role. Canadian carriers, like others in mature mobile markets like the United States, often cover a portion of the upfront costs on devices in exchange for customer’s signing multi-year contracts. A resurgent RIM will help lower device costs as the firm competes for carrier orders with Apple and handset makers supporting Google’s Android platform.

“I think the Canadian carriers, much like many other carriers around the world, are looking at the evolving smartphone [operating system] landscape, I think it’s very much in their interest to see a very strong and viable, diverse ecosystem,” Mr. MacLeod said. “In order to achieve that, you need multiple players. So it’s in their interest to ensure that the BlackBerry OS continues to be very strong.”
    Superfly_FR and zyben like this.
    01-25-13 11:57 AM
    I don't usually link to SA because opinions are a dime a dozen, but I happen to agree with this one so I'll link it
    RIM: Thorsten Heins Makes Sure Nothing Is Lost In The Translation - Seeking Alpha

I believe he has this spot on - BB10 is just one step for RIM. 3-4 years from now, they will not be known as a smartphone company.
    01-25-13 12:01 PM
113,256 ... 108109110111112 ...