View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I ventured out into some other threads today, let me tell you, some angry iOS posters out there. Much more friendly in here,lol. Heck we have apple shareholders buying RIM here, we have different takes on where/when/how RIM is going to go and I have yet to see anything nasty or vindictive on this thread. We need to send out the "friendly patrol" and show them how to get along,lol.
    They are the same one who have been disruptive forces on this site for over a year. But of late they are nastier.
    01-25-13 07:28 AM
    And now $18.40.
    01-25-13 07:28 AM
    And now $18.40.
    Rookie question, so since TSX isnt open yet and early trading of NASDAQ is at 18.40.

I see quote of RIM CA T from my broker Bid Lots 999 Ask Lots 999 at - 18.25 18.25 does that mean as soon as TSX open at 6:30AM, its gonna shoot up to 18.25? and if i place a buy at 18.25 that it will be filled immediately?

Thanks
    01-25-13 07:33 AM
    There is one very, very important that needs to be made. Do not let your emotions control your money.

I am a huge BB fan and I can't wait till I get my own BB10. I have a lot of money invested in RIM and I've almost doubled in the last few months. Blackberry has some great things coming. BUT THE STOCK MARKET IS NOT RATIONAL. JUST BECAUSE BB10 IS GOOD DOES NOT GARUNTEE A HIGH STOCK PRICE. Remember the drop down to $6?

Find ten companies that make great products. Most of these companies will see big increases in share price. But some great companies with fantasic products have very low share prices. Just because we love RIM, this does not garuntee that the share price will always go up!!

I think that the best idea is "stop loss" orders that automatically sell a stock after it declines a certain amount. I'm sure that lots of people wish they had done that with RIM a year ago.

No one, not brokers, not analysts, not even Warren Buffet, knows what will happen tomorrow. Some of us have good ideas, but NO ONE IS RIGHT ALL THE TIME.

Let's keep cheering for the stock! It's a great company with a fantastic new product. But stock prices can do weird things so always have an eye on the exit.
    01-25-13 07:35 AM
    Rookie question, so since TSX isnt open yet and early trading of NASDAQ is at 18.40.

I see quote of RIM CA T from my broker Bid Lots 999 Ask Lots 999 at - 18.25 18.25 does that mean as soon as TSX open at 6:30AM, its gonna shoot up to 18.25? and if i place a buy at 18.25 that it will be filled immediately?

Thanks
    TSX is always lower than the nasdaq quote regardless.
    01-25-13 07:36 AM
    Personally, I will be holding through the launch, even though I think there is a reasonable chance of a pullback. I have a relatively large position, and I'm already up ~120%. I could probably pick up a significant number more shares by selling high and buying back in.

But I'm not going to give a short an opportunity to cover. Not by buying my shares. Not yet.
    01-25-13 07:37 AM
    $18.25 is the ask.
    if someone chooses to buy at that price, then it might open at $18.25, but that's not to say market value/price won't immediatly be higher or lower a second later.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-25-13 07:37 AM
    TSX is always lower than the nasdaq quote regardless.
    Not always true.... TSX closed higher than the Nasdaq last night.
    01-25-13 07:44 AM
    That quote is always moving up or down depending on the bid/ask. It is not a static figure. The current bid/ask is 18.27 and will no doubt be different when the market opens.
    01-25-13 07:49 AM
    The variance in price between the exchanges is based on the exchange rate.
    01-25-13 07:51 AM
    It depends on CAD vs. USD exchange rate. In recent months, up until a couple of days ago, the CAD was worth more, so it took less CAD to buy one share of RIM than USD, so the price was lower on the TSX than Nasdaq. However, a couple of days ago, the CAD fell under par (worth less than a USD now), so now it takes more CAD to buy a RIM share than USD, so the price on the TSX is now higher than the Nasdaq. That will be the case until (if or when) the CAD becomes worth more than the USD again.
    01-25-13 07:54 AM
    The variance in price between the exchanges is based on the exchange rate.
    Generally yes, but that's not always true. The first big move the stock made back in December, there was about an hour's difference between the movement of the stock on the two exchanges. It was a good arbitrage opportunity for anybody that had the ability to take advantage of it.
    01-25-13 07:57 AM
    Less than 30 minutes to go! How WILD will today's ride be?
    01-25-13 08:06 AM
    Pre market already 1 million shares traded and up 60 cents.
    01-25-13 08:09 AM
    Hope not too wild! Just a steady chomp to $19.5 will be a nice change of pace!
    01-25-13 08:11 AM
    Just saw this on Howard Forums.

Blackberry 10 to be $650 no contract launching Feb 5th

Just got word that RIM's BB10 device will be launching on Feb 5th. It will be $650 no contract and will be available in black or white.

Dealers should be getting stock Jan 30th.

Who's excited? I'm pretty pumped for the launch next week. Anyone going to get one? Is your iPhone/Galaxy for sale right now?
    Blackberry 10 to be $650 no contract launching Feb 5th
    01-25-13 08:16 AM
    Again, just a rumor. So either $650 or $799

01-25-13 08:23 AM
    �It would appear that last night�s disappointment has translated that the record profits growth so reminiscent of previous quarters has come to an end for Apple,� said Michael Hewson, senior market analyst at CMC Markets UK, in a note. �While that doesn�t for one moment suggest that the success story is over, it is likely that Apple will have to run that much faster to stand still and justify its valuation in the face of increasing competition from rivals like Samsung, Nokia and Research in Motion.�

The last few months have been relatively cataclysmic for smartphone and tablet makers (Google shares jumped 5 per cent this week after the company posted positive earnings numbers, but those results were influenced primarily by gains in the company�s core search advertising business). But while that uncertainty is proving detrimental to Apple, the current dominant player, it is very good news for companies such as RIM and Microsoft, which are fighting to regain relevance in a still fast-growing industry.

�2013 may prove to be the year when the smaller players make a resurgence in the competitive smartphone market following a year when we saw a two-horse race with Samsung and Apple,� RBC Capital Markets analyst Mark Sue wrote
    01-25-13 08:32 AM
    Canada would closely examine any proposal for a tie-up between Chinese computer-maker Lenovo Group Ltd. and BlackBerry-maker Research in Motion Ltd., Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said.

�It�s something that we would look carefully at,� he said in an interview at the World Economic Forum�s annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland Friday. He also said �absolutely� when asked whether some local technologies are off limits to potential overseas buyers.
    01-25-13 08:35 AM
    I wish something definitive would leak about stores having stock on the 30th, or at least first week of February. I think that would boost the stock a bit.
    01-25-13 08:40 AM
    Jan.25.2013

When will we get BB10 devices in India and how many are likely to be there?

Globally, we will announce BB10 on January 30. Within 2 or 3 weeks, I expect it to come to India. Initially, there will be one device, the flagship model with full touchscreen. It will be followed by another device soon. We have tested BB10 devices with carriers. Internally, we have trained our channel partners and staff on BB10. We are ready for the new beginning.- RIM
    _______

Footnote* India would get BB10 later than NA , so Feb14/21 for India, MUCH sooner for NA. One rumour validated with PUBLIC info right from RIM.
    Last edited by TomJasper; 01-25-13 at 09:00 AM.
    01-25-13 08:43 AM
    Again, just a rumor. So either $650 or $799
    Actually I was more interested in the date of release. LoL

I would have preferred $599 but I will pay $650 to buy outright if unlocked.
    01-25-13 08:44 AM
    I wish something definitive would leak about stores having stock on the 30th, or at least first week of February. I think that would boost the stock a bit.
    I'm content with saving some good news for the launch day. RIght now, the stock has been on a pretty strong run up already and I'd like to see it consistent, not big ups followed by big downs. If your an in and out kinda guy, I can see why you'd want that.
    Marc_Paradise likes this.
    01-25-13 08:47 AM
    Jan.25.2013

When will we get BB10 devices in India and how many are likely to be there?

Globally, we will announce BB10 on January 30. Within 2 or 3 weeks, I expect it to come to India. Initially, there will be one device, the flagship model with full touchscreen. It will be followed by another device soon. We have tested BB10 devices with carriers. Internally, we have trained our channel partners and staff on BB10. We are ready for the new beginning.- RIM
    _______

Footnote* India would get BB10 later than NA , so Feb14/21 for India, MUCH sooner for NA. One rumour validated with PUBLIC info right from RIM.
    Link for the above: We are not interested in market share, selling cheap BlackBerrys: Sunil Dutt, MD, RIM - The Economic Times

However one caveat - "... I expect to come to India". There's a lot of wriggle-room in that statement
    zyben likes this.
    01-25-13 08:54 AM
    Jan.25.2013
    Lenovo and RIM have played down talks of a potential M&A deal despite the chief financial officer of the Chinese PC maker claiming a merger could be on the cards.

Wong Wai Ming, CFO of Lenovo specifically name-checked the Canadian firm when he was asked about how it might strengthen its position in the mobile market.

“We are looking at all opportunities - RIM and many others,” Wai Ming told Bloomberg at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland.

“We’ll have no hesitation if the right opportunity comes along that could benefit us and shareholders.”

In statements to IT Pro, both firms have since downplayed the comments.

“We are aware that Lenovo's CFO Wai Ming was speaking broadly about M&A strategy in a recent interview,” Lenovo noted.

“RIM was raised as a potential target by the journalist and Mr Wong repeatedly answered in a manner consistent with all of our previous statements on M&A strategy.

"Lenovo is very focused on growing its business, both organically and through M&A. When inorganic ideas arise, we explore them to see if there is a strategic fit," the statement added.

Similarly, RIM emphasised that it is solely focused on the launch of its BB10 range, which is set for 30 January.

“We do not have anything new to report on our strategic review at this time. [CEO] Thorsten Heins has made it very clear that we are focused on the delivery of BlackBerry 10,” RIM said.

“As he said on our most recent results conference call on 20th December, we continue to examine all available options to create new opportunities, focusing on areas where we will be more effective partnering rather than going it alone, and ultimately maximising value for all stakeholders.”
    01-25-13 09:07 AM
113,256 ... 107108109110111 ...