View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Its a great opportunity to take advantage of FAKE selling. Yes very few shares are being sold but rather short hegde funds are in big trouble . RIM down in pre-market on nothing volume. It take MILLLIONS and MILLIONS and MILLIONS and MILLIONs of shars for RIMM to go up 50 cents but for shorts to MANIPULATE it down only 700,000? really shorts ? You have money buy the dips and thank the shorts. We might start low and explode higher.

What did I tell you all about FAKE selling? Feel sorry for those who sold and congrates to the morgans who laughed at the shorts and bought.
    GTiLeo, InWithTheNew and bungaboy like this.
    01-24-13 09:49 AM
    i bought more this morning at sub-$17 levels.
    glad i did.
    just wish i bought more at that price.
    oh well.
    01-24-13 09:51 AM
    I guess the Lenovo CFO said he is looking at buying Rim or others...
    You can squash that rumour,won't happen. RIM is moving because of Blackberry 10!
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-24-13 09:53 AM
    Always nice to buy a bit cheaper, and the below is very speculative, but I can afford the risk.

Action: Buy to Open
    Quantity: 20
    Symbol: RIMM C 01FEB13 19.00
    Market: US - U.S.
    Price: $0.35
    Order Date: 24-Jan-2013
    Time: 9:35:08 AM EST
    Already doubled your money lol.
    01-24-13 09:57 AM
    When this stock moves, it takes off like a

TomJasper and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-24-13 09:58 AM
    Man...the 18.00 level is sure resisting
    01-24-13 10:00 AM
    F*ck my life.

Was long, got a Margin Call this morning and I have no shares now. I hate myself.
    01-24-13 10:00 AM
    ..... And the fight is on
    01-24-13 10:01 AM
    Lenovo is more likely to licence bb10 than purchase Rim because they are about the same value. Plus the fact that selling to a Chinese company probably won't be allowed by the US and Canada.
    mcmolineux likes this.
    01-24-13 10:05 AM
    Man...the 18.00 level is sure resisting
    Resistance is futile. You must comply.
    01-24-13 10:05 AM
    Canada has already made overtures about not selling,so you would be correct.
    Lenovo is more likely to licence bb10 than purchase Rim because they are about the same value. Plus the fact that selling to a Chinese company probably won't be allowed by the US and Canada.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-24-13 10:07 AM
    F*ck my life.

Was long, got a Margin Call this morning and I have no shares now. I hate myself.
    Margin calls don't have to be filled right away. You got a margin call on the .55 cent drop. They would have had to wait.
    01-24-13 10:09 AM
    Lenovo Group Ltd. (992) is assessing potential acquisition targets and strategic alliances, including a deal with BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM), as the second-largest producer of personal computers tries to bolster its mobile-device business.

“We are looking at all opportunities -- RIM and many others,” Chief Financial Officer Wong Wai Ming said today in an interview at the World Economic Forum’s annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland. “We’ll have no hesitation if the right opportunity comes along that could benefit us and shareholders.”
    Lenovo Sees Mobile Unit in China Turning Profitable
    5:11

Jan. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Wong Wai Ming, chief financial officer of Lenovo Group Ltd., discusses the outlook for its mobile business in China, the benefits of a public listing and Dell Inc. He speaks with Francine Lacqua on Bloomberg Television's "Countdown" on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum's annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland. (Source: Bloomberg)

RIM began a review of its strategic options last year after losing market share to smartphones such as Apple Inc.’s iPhone and Samsung Electronics Co.’s Galaxy, raising speculation that it could be a takeover target. Beijing-based Lenovo, which bought International Business Machines Corp.’s PC unit in 2005, is considering acquisitions and adding new products as competition from tablets hampers profit growth.

“Long term, we are in a declining PC market,” said Jean- Louis Lafayeedney, an analyst at JI Asia in Hong Kong. Still, Lenovo “can leverage the scale they have in PCs to develop the mobile Internet side of the business.”

The PC maker has a team working on possible acquisitions, Wong said. Lenovo has spoken to RIM and its bankers about various combinations or strategic ventures, he said. Wong declined to comment on when the company would make a decision on whether to bid for a mobile-device maker.
    RIM’s Stock

Wong said he would carefully consider valuations for all potential deals and noted that RIM’s stock price has recently risen back into the double digits. RIM shares have gained 46 percent this year to $17.29, fueled by optimism that its new BlackBerry 10 operating system will be successful.

RIM declined to comment on a possible Lenovo bid.

“We have no update on our strategic review at this time,” said Nick Manning, a spokesman for the Waterloo, Ontario-based company.

Acquiring RIM would require approval from Canadian and U.S. regulators because of the size of the transaction and the fact that the company operates secure mobile networks for government agencies. Canadian Industry Minister Christian Paradis said this week that he would prefer RIM to grow “organically.”

The Canadian government automatically reviews all foreign takeovers of companies with asset values of more than C$344 million ($344 million) to determine whether the transactions are a “net benefit” to the country. The government rejected Melbourne-based BHP Billiton Ltd.’s $40 billion hostile takeover bid for Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc. in 2010.
    Chinese Concerns

Putting RIM under Chinese ownership also would raise security questions. The company has been wary of widening its operations in China in the past over concerns about protecting its sensitive networks, Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins told shareholders in July.

Last October, the U.S. House Intelligence Committee urged American companies to steer clear of two other Chinese telecommunications competitors, Huawei Technologies Co. and ZTE Corp., citing concerns that the Chinese government could install malicious hardware or software in U.S. networks.

RIM also is focused on introducing the BlackBerry 10 lineup, the linchpin to its turnaround efforts. The company will unveil the phones at an event next week before putting them on sale in February and March.

While RIM’s Heins has said he’s concentrating on BlackBerry 10, he said this week that selling the company’s hardware unit is one of many possibilities being considered in its strategic review. RIM shares jumped 13 percent on Jan. 22 after he made the remarks. The company hired JPMorgan Chase & Co. and RBC Capital Markets in May to help evaluate its options.
    IBM Interest

RIM’s enterprise-services unit, seen as its most valuable asset, attracted interest from IBM last year, two people familiar with the situation said in August. As no party expressed a desire to buy all of RIM or the division that makes its phones, the company opted to wait for the rollout of BlackBerry 10 before making any decisions on a sale, one of those people said at the time.

Wong said Lenovo’s first priority is to grow organically, though the company won’t hesitate to act if a deal makes sense. Lenovo is positioning itself to be a “PC-Plus company,” spanning all the screens in a user’s office and home, he said.

Lenovo is evaluating acquisitions as it looks to reinvigorate growth. Net income rose 13 percent in the three months through September, ending a 12-quarter run of gains of at least 25 percent. The company had net cash reserves of $3.6 billion as of Sept. 30, according to its earnings statement.
    Previous Deals

Lenovo this month completed the $147 million purchase of CCE, a Brazilian maker of computers, mobile phones and tablets. The acquisition, originally announced Sept. 5, doubled Lenovo’s PC share in Brazil, boosting its market position to third from seventh. Lenovo made five additional acquisitions in 2011, including the purchase of Essen, Germany-based PC-maker Medion AG, and the PC unit of Tokyo-based NEC Corp.

The company also may buy a flat-panel TV plant in China from Sharp Corp., the Nikkei reported last week.

Lenovo has already made inroads into the smartphone industry. The company, which introduced its first touch-screen handset in 2010, soared to second place in China’s smartphone market during the second quarter of last year, from seventh place in the first quarter.

Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing has said he plans to build on the company’s dominance in PCs in new areas, including smartphones, tablets, TVs and family entertainment.

Acquisitions are “a good tool to drive the growth and building of capability,” he said in an interview this month.

Lenovo Says RIM Bid Among Options to Boost Mobile Unit - Bloomberg
    01-24-13 10:13 AM
    I don't think I've posted in this thread before, but I've thinking about it for a while. There are two things I'd like to say.

1. What's the opposite of trying to "catch a falling knife"?.... Trying to "hitch a ride on a rocket ship"?

2. I went long at 9.47 with a significant percentage of my total portfolio. Can I get a "Woot, woot!?!"
    01-24-13 10:15 AM
    Won't happen. I will crush my Z10 with a sledgehammer if it did,lol.

Lenovo Group Ltd. (992) is assessing potential acquisition targets and strategic alliances, including a deal with BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM), as the second-largest producer of personal computers tries to bolster its mobile-device business.

�We are looking at all opportunities -- RIM and many others,� Chief Financial Officer Wong Wai Ming said today in an interview at the World Economic Forum�s annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland. �We�ll have no hesitation if the right opportunity comes along that could benefit us and shareholders.�
    Lenovo Sees Mobile Unit in China Turning Profitable
    5:11

Jan. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Wong Wai Ming, chief financial officer of Lenovo Group Ltd., discusses the outlook for its mobile business in China, the benefits of a public listing and Dell Inc. He speaks with Francine Lacqua on Bloomberg Television's "Countdown" on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum's annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland. (Source: Bloomberg)

RIM began a review of its strategic options last year after losing market share to smartphones such as Apple Inc.�s iPhone and Samsung Electronics Co.�s Galaxy, raising speculation that it could be a takeover target. Beijing-based Lenovo, which bought International Business Machines Corp.�s PC unit in 2005, is considering acquisitions and adding new products as competition from tablets hampers profit growth.

�Long term, we are in a declining PC market,� said Jean- Louis Lafayeedney, an analyst at JI Asia in Hong Kong. Still, Lenovo �can leverage the scale they have in PCs to develop the mobile Internet side of the business.�

The PC maker has a team working on possible acquisitions, Wong said. Lenovo has spoken to RIM and its bankers about various combinations or strategic ventures, he said. Wong declined to comment on when the company would make a decision on whether to bid for a mobile-device maker.
    RIM�s Stock

Wong said he would carefully consider valuations for all potential deals and noted that RIM�s stock price has recently risen back into the double digits. RIM shares have gained 46 percent this year to $17.29, fueled by optimism that its new BlackBerry 10 operating system will be successful.

RIM declined to comment on a possible Lenovo bid.

�We have no update on our strategic review at this time,� said Nick Manning, a spokesman for the Waterloo, Ontario-based company.

Acquiring RIM would require approval from Canadian and U.S. regulators because of the size of the transaction and the fact that the company operates secure mobile networks for government agencies. Canadian Industry Minister Christian Paradis said this week that he would prefer RIM to grow �organically.�

The Canadian government automatically reviews all foreign takeovers of companies with asset values of more than C$344 million ($344 million) to determine whether the transactions are a �net benefit� to the country. The government rejected Melbourne-based BHP Billiton Ltd.�s $40 billion hostile takeover bid for Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc. in 2010.
    Chinese Concerns

Putting RIM under Chinese ownership also would raise security questions. The company has been wary of widening its operations in China in the past over concerns about protecting its sensitive networks, Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins told shareholders in July.

Last October, the U.S. House Intelligence Committee urged American companies to steer clear of two other Chinese telecommunications competitors, Huawei Technologies Co. and ZTE Corp., citing concerns that the Chinese government could install malicious hardware or software in U.S. networks.

RIM also is focused on introducing the BlackBerry 10 lineup, the linchpin to its turnaround efforts. The company will unveil the phones at an event next week before putting them on sale in February and March.

While RIM�s Heins has said he�s concentrating on BlackBerry 10, he said this week that selling the company�s hardware unit is one of many possibilities being considered in its strategic review. RIM shares jumped 13 percent on Jan. 22 after he made the remarks. The company hired JPMorgan Chase & Co. and RBC Capital Markets in May to help evaluate its options.
    IBM Interest

RIM�s enterprise-services unit, seen as its most valuable asset, attracted interest from IBM last year, two people familiar with the situation said in August. As no party expressed a desire to buy all of RIM or the division that makes its phones, the company opted to wait for the rollout of BlackBerry 10 before making any decisions on a sale, one of those people said at the time.

Wong said Lenovo�s first priority is to grow organically, though the company won�t hesitate to act if a deal makes sense. Lenovo is positioning itself to be a �PC-Plus company,� spanning all the screens in a user�s office and home, he said.

Lenovo is evaluating acquisitions as it looks to reinvigorate growth. Net income rose 13 percent in the three months through September, ending a 12-quarter run of gains of at least 25 percent. The company had net cash reserves of $3.6 billion as of Sept. 30, according to its earnings statement.
    Previous Deals

Lenovo this month completed the $147 million purchase of CCE, a Brazilian maker of computers, mobile phones and tablets. The acquisition, originally announced Sept. 5, doubled Lenovo�s PC share in Brazil, boosting its market position to third from seventh. Lenovo made five additional acquisitions in 2011, including the purchase of Essen, Germany-based PC-maker Medion AG, and the PC unit of Tokyo-based NEC Corp.

The company also may buy a flat-panel TV plant in China from Sharp Corp., the Nikkei reported last week.

Lenovo has already made inroads into the smartphone industry. The company, which introduced its first touch-screen handset in 2010, soared to second place in China�s smartphone market during the second quarter of last year, from seventh place in the first quarter.

Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing has said he plans to build on the company�s dominance in PCs in new areas, including smartphones, tablets, TVs and family entertainment.

Acquisitions are �a good tool to drive the growth and building of capability,� he said in an interview this month.

Lenovo Says RIM Bid Among Options to Boost Mobile Unit - Bloomberg
    spike12, nukemango and bungaboy like this.
    01-24-13 10:16 AM
    I have transferred some money to trading account. It'd get into my account by Monday. I will buy some more shares/options then. My opinion is that stock will hit $75 by year end. So, I will continue to buy (regardless of the price) as long as overall stock remains bullish (over previous 30 day period).

It's great to buy in dips but I think few cents here and there don't change the overall profit much unless you are a short-term trader. Buying at $16.50 or $17.50 or $18.50 won't change my profit much when I sell my stock (at $75, and I expect to get there within 12 months)

I've been spending 25% of my monthly pay on buying RIM stock since the stock was at $7. So, my average price keeps on increasing! This 25%, I was going to use to buy/pay for car-payments. But I have decided to take public transit for this year and buy a Ferrari or something when I sell my stocks next year (2014)!
    TomJasper, nukemango and bungaboy like this.
    01-24-13 10:18 AM
    I have a friend who sold his house and bought in the low 7's. Granted he lives in an apt now YET his new home will be an oasis fit for a king!

I have transferred some money to trading account. It'd get into my account by Monday. I will buy some more shares/options then. My opinion is that stock will hit $75 by year end. So, I will continue to buy (regardless of the price) as long as overall stock remains bullish (over previous 30 day period).

It's great to buy in dips but I think few cents here and there don't change the overall profit much unless you are a short-term trader. Buying at $16.50 or $17.50 or $18.50 won't change my profit much when I sell my stock (at $75, and I expect to get there within 12 months)

I've been spending 25% of my monthly pay on buying RIM stock since the stock was at $7. So, my average price keeps on increasing!
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-24-13 10:24 AM
    It can't be that bad.
    01-24-13 10:32 AM
    his new home will be an oasis fit for a king!
    i love oasis.
    best band ever!
    01-24-13 10:34 AM
    ^^^holy crap^^^
    01-24-13 10:34 AM
    RIM security and China does not fly, for obvious reasons, it would be the death of RIM security goodwill imho. Now a deal to manufacture handsets while RIM holds the software and backend, that might be a scenario. I myself WILL NOT buy a Chinese only handset, even if the stock tripled over night, my principles would not allow it.

Here come the flames?
    cjcampbell, Superfly_FR and Geeoff like this.
    01-24-13 10:35 AM
    i love oasis.
    best band ever!
    Crank em by the pool all the time.
    drummer_god likes this.
    01-24-13 10:36 AM
    Never sold. Was waiting for the morning bounce. I avoid trading in first 30 minutes as the stock hasn't picked a direction.
    Stock was already too low on the open. Wasn't worth selling but I had my finger on the trigger, would have sold if it started gapping down.

Sorry Thunder, hope you filled.
    01-24-13 10:37 AM
    RIM security and China does not fly, for obvious reasons, it would be the death of RIM security goodwill imho. Now a deal to manufacture handsets while RIM holds the software and backend, that might be a scenario. I myself WILL NOT buy a Chinese only handset, even if the stock tripled over night, my principles would not allow it.

Here come the flames?
    It might triple overnight but would die the next as all government agencies drop BB's due to chinese ownership.
    coldsword likes this.
    01-24-13 10:37 AM
    Ok Thor lets get this stock up to $50 pronto, don't want to see RIM go Chinese!
    bungaboy and s0be like this.
    01-24-13 10:38 AM
113,256 ... 101102103104105 ...