Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Today will be a BIG day for RIMM
    01-22-13 06:48 AM
    Nasdaq premarket showing $16.95, but TSX premarket is showing $18.27...If I was a betting man I would say the TSX will drop, but who knows with this stock!
    Toronto doesn't have pre-market trading so the numbers don't mean anything until the minute the market opens. Even then the prices will be lock-step with NASDAQ. Exchange rate not withstanding.
    01-22-13 06:58 AM
    Research in Motion upgraded to Outperform from Sector Perform at Scotia Capital
    Scotia Capital upgraded Research in Motion following reviews of the BB10 on various blogs. The firm said reviews indicate the BB10 has a faster browser and superior screen resolution vs. the iPhone 5 and the ability to multi-task. Scotia expects even modest success of the BB10 will result in significant earnings momentum and upgraded shares to Outperform with a price target of $23 raised from $18.60.
    Scotia Capital is modeling BB10 device shipments of over 29 million units in fiscal 2014. Shipments should help RIM reach EPS of about $4.13, the firm noted.

From upgrades alone, Scotia Capital sees 26.2 million in BB10 unit sales.

Aside from the BB10 app selection, Scotia Capital says the operating system outperforms in every category.

Ahead of the opening bell Tuesday, RIM shares are up about 9 percent early.
    Cantech Letter
    Byron Capital raises target on Research in Motion again January 21, 2013 By Cantech

After a long and often tortuous wait for BlackBerry supporters, and holders of RIM stock, Byron Capital analyst Tom Astle says BlackBerry 10 may end up being a more successful product launch than many expected.

After a long and often tortuous wait for BlackBerry supporters, and holders of RIM stock, Byron Capital analyst Tom Astle says BlackBerry 10 may end up being a more successful product launch than many expected.
    On January 30th, in New York, Research in Motion will launch its BlackBerry 10 devices.

While RIM had another exceptional day today, closing up 10.8% to $17.41 on the TSX, Astle had a handle on the action prior to the open. In a note to clients before the bell today, the Byron analyst raised his target price on RIM to $18, while maintaining his BUY rating.

In today’s update, Astle points out that all feedback from developers suggests that the BlackBerry 10 devices are positive.

Paradigm Capital raises target price to $19 from $14.50
    01-22-13 07:06 AM
    Toronto doesn't have pre-market trading so the numbers don't mean anything until the minute the market opens. Even then the prices will be lock-step with NASDAQ. Exchange rate not withstanding.
    its the bids/asks that are lining up on TSX. Agree that it doesn't mean anything but is an indicator (we went through this yesterday )
    01-22-13 07:11 AM
    its the bids/asks that are lining up on TSX.
    In the old days that would be true but these days everything changes in a blink depending on how the trading algorithms are set.
    01-22-13 07:21 AM
    In the old days that would be true but these days everything changes in a blink depending on how the trading algorithms are set.
    true, but that still doesn't change what's happening, it's just happening faster. Today would be a bad day to get any type of read with Nasdaq being closed yesterday and the price between the 2 exchanges being disconnected, but it's still fun nonetheless.
    01-22-13 07:37 AM
    This is one of the comments at Seeking Alpha. In my view, he made a good point, especially since Watsa claimed he avoided stocks despite hedging losses back in October '12:

(by Oldtimer125)

"Is it possible that a significant portion of the short position is a dollar neutral hedge with a long position offsetting the short position? For the nominal cost of putting on the position, with the votes attached to the long side of the hedge, it would be like an option on making an early hostile bid for RIMM with a large portion of the votes already locked up (A recent example is is Mason Capital from New York, who put on a dollar neutral hedge to control 19% of the votes in A Canadian Telco, Telus, so they could control the voting). Rationally, such a large naked short position doesn't make sense. It could be that a dollar neutral hedge position has been put on for an option on putting RIMM in play, if BB 10 sales go viral, and more importantly, for the HUGE global business opportunity that M2M offers. M2M is over a $trillion dollar business opportunity over the next decade, with over 50 billion M2M builds and installs predicted. If this is the case, there will be no short squeeze and RIMM likely won't be around long, but gone at a much higher share price. If not, the shorts are going to have to pay up. Either way, I am staying long."

That's interesting. I almost didn't understand the thought towards the end about there not being a short squeeze, but then realized it more like "there wouldn't be a short squeeze that longs will realize or reap benefit from." Even a buyout, hostile or not, well north of where we are at now is cool, but NOT what I want. As noted if BB10 goes viral the company will be able to see all time highs in a few years.
    01-22-13 08:30 AM
    That's interesting. I almost didn't understand the thought towards the end about there not being a short squeeze, but then realized it more like "there wouldn't be a short squeeze that longs will realize or reap benefit from." Even a buyout, hostile or not, well north of where we are at now is cool, but NOT what I want. As noted if BB10 goes viral the company will be able to see all time highs in a few years.
    I agree
    01-22-13 08:41 AM
    ! That's my babe ! ... c'mon, you can do it !
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    01-22-13 08:50 AM
    Aaaand we have a lift-off.

I need to grab more shares, now I must think when... Now, later today, tomorrow?
    01-22-13 09:02 AM
    My finger has been hovering over a "sell" order since 17.06...

Now at 17.45. 17.54 17.61
    I probably should stick to my resolution to not try to time RIMM

I'm guessing if we hit 52 week highs, all bets are off...
    01-22-13 09:02 AM
    i just bought another 800 shares pre market at 16.90. I don't seem to be regretting it. up to 3800 shares total
    nukemango and InWithTheNew like this.
    01-22-13 09:03 AM
    No comment ... just ... you know ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-jim-carrey-dance-ace-ventura.jpg  
    01-22-13 09:04 AM
    I played the stock today, bought some, sold lots. Hoping to see $16.50 as a low to finish off a kick-*** play.
    did you buy back in at $16.80 ( today's low on the TSX )?
    01-22-13 09:05 AM
    Is it just me or there is a huge fight around 17.60? It hit .62, went to .44 now back up.
    01-22-13 09:10 AM
    So to simplify....
    Let's say I short 1,000,000 shares of RIM at $15.00. I have to pay a small fee to borrow the shares from those ***** buy and holders. I then put those shares up for sale for $15,000,000. I buy them in another account that I control and now I've got voting rights on 1,000,000 shares. (the guy that loaned me the shares - no voting rights). If the stock goes up or down, I'm even. If RIM were to pay a dividend, I'm even. If the shares that I borrowed get sold by the original owner or restricted, I have to find other stock to borrow, buy on the open market, or use my shares to cover. As long as there is stock to borrow, this game will continue. That's why we should all put our stock up for sale at +$35 - it becomes unloanable when for sale. What if Prem and Co. were baiting - quietly allowing their stock to be loaned to shorters, then one day (soon), called their broker and asked for the stock certificates. Gee, millions of shares out of the short pool on one day would create another VW vs Porsche scale short squeeze.
    01-22-13 09:16 AM
    So to simplify....
    Let's say I short 1,000,000 shares of RIM at $15.00. I have to pay a small fee to borrow the shares from those ***** buy and holders. I then put those shares up for sale for $15,000,000. I buy them in another account that I control and now I've got voting rights on 1,000,000 shares. (the guy that loaned me the shares - no voting rights). If the stock goes up or down, I'm even. If RIM were to pay a dividend, I'm even. If the shares that I borrowed get sold by the original owner or restricted, I have to find other stock to borrow, buy on the open market, or use my shares to cover. As long as there is stock to borrow, this game will continue. That's why we should all put our stock up for sale at +$35 - it becomes unloanable when for sale. What if Prem and Co. were baiting - quietly allowing their stock to be loaned to shorters, then one day (soon), called their broker and asked for the stock certificates. Gee, millions of shares out of the short pool on one day would create another VW vs Porsche scale short squeeze.
    And that is what I am hoping for....would be epic!
    01-22-13 09:30 AM
    So to simplify....
    What if Prem and Co. were baiting - quietly allowing their stock to be loaned to shorters, then one day (soon), called their broker and asked for the stock certificates. Gee, millions of shares out of the short pool on one day would create another VW vs Porsche scale short squeeze.
    1. Can somebody tweet or somehow get in touch with Prem Watsa let him know?
    2. Most of my stocks are in RRSP, so they are short-proof (can not be loaned). Non RRSP shares, I've put in a SELL order for $40 GTC (good till canceled order). So, I have short-proofed ALL my stocks.
    coldsword likes this.
    01-22-13 09:37 AM
    1. Can somebody tweet or somehow get in touch with Prem Watsa let him know?
    2. Most of my stocks are in RRSP, so they are short-proof (can not be loaned). Non RRSP shares, I've put in a SELL order for $40 GTC (good till canceled order). So, I have short-proofed ALL my stocks.
    1. I believe he's aware of this kind of "trick"
    2. cool
    01-22-13 09:48 AM
    Just released; the official in office rain RIM dance for stock invocation (oh, my ... this is ridiculous lol)

P.S: and ... climbing
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-22-13 at 10:16 AM.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    01-22-13 09:49 AM
    i think this is a preview of what the stock will do this week. it will go back down tuesday ( or later today - monday ) and be back up to these levels ( $18.49 ) by week's end. just simply the way RIM seems to run red hot on monday, cools down tuesday and wednesday and warms up thursday and boils friday.
    seems the recent pattern is holding true.
    will probably bounce around between $17-$18 until friday when it shoots up over $19 ( on TSX ).

i'm starting to suspect, tuesday and wednesday are days to buy, and friday and monday are days to sell.
    01-22-13 10:31 AM
    Typical G&M junk.

What you need to know about RIM's recent rally
    The Globe and Mail
    Published Tuesday, Jan. 22 2013, 11:19 AM EST

Last updated Tuesday, Jan. 22 2013, 10:35 AM EST

The Globe and Mail's Michael Babad looks at RIM's recent rise

Video: Market View: What you need to know about RIM's recent rally - The Globe and Mail
    01-22-13 10:57 AM
    you guys have to hear what this guy says about RIM. i'm trying to find it on BNN.ca but it's as if they do not want people to hear what he has to say. Can anyone here give it a shot and help me find this video which happened today at 10:45 am.

Douglas Pollit
    Principal, Pollitt & Co

BlackBerry 10 a Winner?

Douglas Pollit, Principal, Pollitt & Co joins BNN for a look at how the BlackBerry 10 compares to the competition - and what that means for RIM stock
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-22-13 11:05 AM
    Just in case I have not said this lately . . . I LOVE RIMM!
    01-22-13 11:06 AM
    you guys have to hear what this guy says about RIM. i'm trying to find it on BNN.ca but it's as if they do not want people to hear what he has to say. Can anyone here give it a shot and help me find this video which happened today at 10:45 am.

Douglas Pollit
    Principal, Pollitt & Co

BlackBerry 10 a Winner?

Douglas Pollit, Principal, Pollitt & Co joins BNN for a look at how the BlackBerry 10 compares to the competition - and what that means for RIM stock
    this: BNN Video Player
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    01-22-13 11:07 AM
113,256 ... 9091929394 ...