View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    It could drop after the keynote, but it might surge first and when the drop happens it'll be at a much higher level.

You could sell at $17, expecting the stock to drop to $15... but with the short interest it could surge to $25 before dropping back to $20.

I'm staying long and not selling for a few years. Timing the market is a mug's game.
    The market has made many look like fools and i would of been one of them if I tried to time the market. Some stock like what we are seeing in RIM it is better to sit on your hands.
    morganplus8 and coldsword like this.
    01-21-13 09:13 AM
    well. I'm up over 40% in 10 days. Sell or not to sell....that is the question
    01-21-13 09:16 AM
    I'm up over 40% now, but I'm expecting this to be a five bagger. I've made mistakes selling early on reinvigorated stocks like this before, like FORD, where I sold at almost 100%gain, but it kept going to 500%....

I promise to hold until RIM becomes too popular!
    coldsword likes this.
    01-21-13 09:25 AM
    I'm up over 40% now, but I'm expecting this to be a five bagger. I've made mistakes selling early on reinvigorated stocks like this before, like FORD, where I sold at almost 100%gain, but it kept going to 500%....

I promise to hold until RIM becomes too popular!
    I wouldn't call making 100% return a 'mistake' LOL. If anything, most people make the real mistake of holding on too long...
    BThunderW, coldsword and abouthsu like this.
    01-21-13 09:28 AM

It's the "among other options" that peaked my interest. Sounds like if they can't find licensees, then they will examine reorg options. Analysts have pegged a price for RIM -- which I am not going to state here -- should it "unlock shareholder value" via reorg . If the stock were to trade in the reorg range for some time, it could indicate a reorg, which would make me sad.
    "At some point it will be shown how many [operating] systems the market can bear. I expect that with the BlackBerry 10 we won't just play a role, I believe our role will be substantial," Mr. Heins is quoted as saying.

Read more: RIM Expects Blackberry 10 to Play Substantial Role | Fox Business
    01-21-13 09:43 AM
    "At some point it will be shown how many [operating] systems the market can bear. I expect that with the BlackBerry 10 we won't just play a role, I believe our role will be substantial," Mr. Heins is quoted as saying.

Read more: RIM Expects Blackberry 10 to Play Substantial Role | Fox Business
    I'd expect RIM and BB10 to be ubiquitous. They'll likely dominate the mobile landscape (and mindshare) in the same way that Cisco's high capacity routers have quietly dominated the backbone of the Internet itself. You won't even realize its happening, but suddenly it'll be everywhere around you.

Both technologies run on QNX. Good software design trumps all.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-21-13 09:54 AM
    The ridiculous thing about this pop based on the news of Thor saying that they're keeping options on the table....

... he's been saying the exact same thing for months. YES, they'll look at licensing. YES they'll look at strategic partnerships. YES they'll look at divesting hardware. BUT they won't do any of those things until after BB10 launch, depending on how the launch goes.

IOW this isn't news - it's the same thing he's been saying for at *least* six to eight months.
    nukemango likes this.
    01-21-13 09:56 AM
    Just wait until you see what it does when there is news
    The ridiculous thing about this pop based on the news of Thor saying that they're keeping options on the table....

... he's been saying the exact same thing for months. YES, they'll look at licensing. YES they'll look at strategic partnerships. YES they'll look at divesting hardware. BUT they won't do any of those things until after BB10 launch, depending on how the launch goes.

IOW this isn't news - it's the same thing he's been saying for at *least* six to eight months.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-21-13 09:58 AM
    So true. The "next big thing" I suspect will be M2M and again as you say "QNX" , will dominate this sector.

Seeds and patents are being planted as we speak.

I'd expect RIM and BB10 to be ubiquitous. They'll likely dominate the mobile landscape (and mindshare) in the same way that Cisco's high capacity routers have quietly dominated the backbone of the Internet itself. You won't even realize its happening, but suddenly it'll be everywhere around you.

Both technologies run on QNX. Good software design trumps all.
    01-21-13 10:01 AM

Touchy a wee bit. Why so? It's sunny outside, stock is up, future is bright .......... you should be happy, you are happy for RIM, are you not?
    01-21-13 10:05 AM
    If they're already training their staff and rumoured to be shipping blackberries already, does that really make sense?
    01-21-13 10:08 AM
    Is now a good time to buy shares for RIMM with today's excitement or should I wait until launch day to see what happens. I know it's too hard to predict what the market is going to do, but today I was planning on buying my first set of shares.
    01-21-13 10:09 AM
    Touchy a wee bit. Why so? It's sunny outside, stock is up, future is bright .......... you should be happy, you are happy for RIM, are you not?
    Just noting it for the sheer ridiculousness factor
    01-21-13 10:15 AM
    That's a decision YOU have to make by yourself or with/through a qualified broker.

Nobody on a stock thread is in a legal position to advise you, do lots of research, always invest to your individual risk/reward ratio/means and get qualified advice.

Good luck in your endevours.

Is now a good time to buy shares for RIMM with today's excitement or should I wait until launch day to see what happens. I know it's too hard to predict what the market is going to do, but today I was planning on buying my first set of shares.
    fedakd likes this.
    01-21-13 10:20 AM
    Just noting it for the sheer ridiculousness factor
    Not " ridiculous" in the least if you gleamed the relevant remarks and timing thereof, sometimes you have to read between the lines, there was NEW info there that an astute investor would have picked up on. Re-read it, it will come to you in time.
    01-21-13 10:24 AM
    Hi guys!

I was out of the country on Friday morning and missed all of the posts that day! What a great day it was too,with Misek finally figuring out what all of us have been saying for a half year now. The stock traded up all day, nothing to do with short covering though, just nice volume and a normal reaction that the shorts could not control.

Here is that chart:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-jan-21b-2012-chart.jpg

Note that I had to draw two possible trendlines from the all time highs here, the first one is conservative and shows a breakout at around the mid-$ 17.00 area and the second one, taken from the top, shows us the expected high, $ 15.00 area. I would say that it doesn`t really matter which one you like, the volume should be noticable tomorrow with the huge gain in Canada today. We are also very close to a 52 week high and that`s super bullish here. Shorts will be watching for us to break above this down trend line this week. My target is now for RIMM to hit $ 17.50 a share for this week with higher highs for next week. The chart allows for $ 18.00 by the end of the month but there is no room left for anything more. If the news is huge on launch day, there are no rules for trading it any more. News trumps all, and we could be seeing a chart pattern that precludes anything we have worked with in the past. So good luck with that! What I mean is that we will start a new range of trading that will remain unknown for weeks with computers setting the price range. The `normal`thing to do is to take profits at the top of this channel. That is up to you guys though. News will drive the stock wildly in the next few days, I can`t tell you what`s best for you here.

My plan is to write some calls on some of my block of stock because anything over $ 20.00 looks good to me. After that, I don`t know what I`ll do if the stock breaks out of the normal stock channel, I`ll have to decide based upon the action and news at that time. Good luck and let`s see some carry over into tomorrow and a clear sign that the 5-year downtrend line is gone!
    01-21-13 10:26 AM
    " If the news is huge on launch day, there are no rules for trading it any more." - Morganplus8

Wild ride comes to mind.

You looking at 2014 calls on successful launch?
    new_me222 and snejpa 001 like this.
    01-21-13 10:32 AM
    Just passed the $17 mark on TSX.

Where's that dancing banana?
    01-21-13 10:37 AM
    Anyone else expecting a split?
    01-21-13 10:37 AM
    Anyone else expecting a split?
    Premature imho.
    01-21-13 10:41 AM
    Some of you need to come back down to reality.
    _dimi_ and BThunderW like this.
    01-21-13 10:48 AM
    I guess it depends on how many shares are held long after the launch.
    01-21-13 10:49 AM
    Just passed the $17 mark on TSX.

Where's that dancing banana?
    We are all probably dancing inside. But I would also like to see the rain-dancer come out in full force too
    01-21-13 10:50 AM
    Some of you need to come back down to reality.
    I'm confused, what reality would that be?

To me anyways.... coming down to "reality" is Amazon P/E at 3,000 , lol.
    Acumenight likes this.
    01-21-13 10:57 AM
    Reality is that RIMM and any other stock can go up or down!
    01-21-13 11:04 AM
113,256 ... 8485868788 ...