View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Check it again Superfly_FR it is you.Happy 2Kth post
    ... I didn't notice at first you deleted yours. THAT is over-classy, my fiend .
    Sorry then, my answer was somehow inappropriate.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-19-13 at 08:14 PM.
    s0be and bungaboy like this.
    01-19-13 07:30 AM
    Just be warned that if your stock investment goes down, you also lose your TFSA contribution room = double lose. If it goes up on the other hand, double win!

E.g. You contribute $5000 to your TFSA. If your stock goes to 0. Well, since your contribution room is calculated each year based on (TFSA Limit - Deposits + Withdrawals).

But right now with RIM, you should be pretty home free. (I think)

As for which stock broker, I went with Questrade. I think you need min of $5000 if you don't want to pay their monthly fee. (Or be a student)
    Not sure which brokerage you're with, I thought the same thing too until I called Investorline (BMO's brokerage) and they advised me that I was only required to complete more paperwork to have option trading put on my account. Worth looking into!
    01-19-13 09:16 AM
    the only thing i can envision f*ing this whole thing up for the bunch of us, is, if jan 30th RIM announces the phones will be available late march, or some crap like that. anything after feb 14th, i think they get lambasted in the media and their shares plummet.
    You don't have to worry about that. To my knowlege RIM is shipping phones as I write this message
    01-19-13 09:22 AM
    Ouch! $50/trade? That's horrible. ****, Questrade has trades as low as 4.95, most at $9.95. I pay $9.99 at TD but that's because of my minimum balance and trades per quarter. Normally it's $25.
    RBC has the same pricing structure as TD. Questrade is cheapest and they also offer TFSA and RRSP trading. I can't really vouch for them because I haven't used them myself, but I'm looking at them to potentially consolidate my trading accounts with.

Edit: Really? CB censores h-e-l-l?

You can call your neighbourhood Edward Jones. They can have you up and in the market quickly, you will have to set up an account, give them a cheque, etc. AND you don't need to have big bucks. But there is a minimum $50 broker fee per buy and per sell. So if you buy 100 shares you need it to go up 1 dollar per share to break even. It will get you in the market with Rim quickly and then you can set up an online account if you wish to after. Do not forget also to get your tax-free-savings account registered if you haven't yet. You can put in up to $5500 this year and $5000 from the previous years. I don't know how much you want to invest but If you buy $100-5000 worth and you turn it to $20k, you keep that money tax free. But don't play it if you can't afford to lose it. Then you'd be better off investing your TFSA in low risk.
    01-19-13 09:27 AM
    As a rookie trader, long time blackberry supporter. I must admit I haven't enjoy reading a post as much as this one. Not to mention how informative the conversions are. :thumbup:

I do want to ask though, I currently have the shares in my TD Waterhouse account and have open up a TFSA trading account. What's the best way to transfer over? Also when I buy and sell, any key features I should watch out for? E.g stop sell out stop loss etc? Still a rookie here.

# goberrygo
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-19-13 09:43 AM
    Your points about the TFSA are well-taken. Personally, I consider it well worth the risk, given the potential upside.

I use the online brokerage offered by my bank. Interestingly enough, there isn't a minimum deposit for TFSA accounts, though there is a $5000 minimum on retail brokerage accounts. Only real downside I've seen is that in the TFSA account I'm not allowed to trade options
    I have a TFSA with TD Waterhouse, and have no problems with options: You may wish to doublecheck with your bank in that regards. The limit however being that it's not possible to have any type of margin trade in a TFSA: So selling covered calls, or buy to open only.
    Qmax likes this.
    01-19-13 10:10 AM
    Ouch! $50/trade? That's horrible. ****, Questrade has trades as low as 4.95, most at $9.95. I pay $9.99 at TD but that's because of my minimum balance and trades per quarter. Normally it's $25.
    RBC has the same pricing structure as TD. Questrade is cheapest and they also offer TFSA and RRSP trading. I can't really vouch for them because I haven't used them myself, but I'm looking at them to potentially consolidate my trading accounts with.
    wow, and I thought my bank fees were horrible ... they weren't !
    I paid a package of €7 for the transaction, and an additional fee due to currency change (I believe around €7 too). Looks that finally, the noob had it right, again :

Edit : of course, I'll pay the same when I sell ... hum ... is it the same ? lol, not even sure
    01-19-13 11:06 AM
    As a rookie trader, long time blackberry supporter. I must admit I haven't enjoy reading a post as much as this one. Not to mention how informative the conversions are. :thumbup:

I do want to ask though, I currently have the shares in my TD Waterhouse account and have open up a TFSA trading account. What's the best way to transfer over? Also when I buy and sell, any key features I should watch out for? E.g stop sell out stop loss etc? Still a rookie here.
    Transferring over to a TFSA should be as easy as contacting Waterhouse. They may require you to fill out/sign a transfer form though. Also keep in mind that even though you are transferring the the shares in-kind, that is considered a taxable event and will be subject to capital gains tax (if you are in a gain posiiton).

Stop losses are good if you do not want to hold stock below a certain price and it allows you to be less attentive to price movements, but beware this with RIM stock, as it is very volatile. It can blow right through your stop loss (triggering you to sell), only to come right back up, essentially 'stealing' your shares unless you set it low enough.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-19-13 11:13 AM
    Credential Direct is only $19 per trade. LoL
    I use credential as well. Good news is they just updated to self-clearing so trades fill in seconds. Beautiful.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-19-13 12:05 PM
    Uhh why is rimm showing $35 on the nasdaq real time page lol. I wish.

Research in Motion Limited (RIMM) Real-Time Stock Quote - NASDAQ.com
    01-19-13 12:10 PM
    uhh why is rimm showing $35 on the nasdaq real time page lol. I wish.

research in motion limited (rimm) real-time stock quote - nasdaq.com
    omg!! Sell sell sell!!
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rimm2.jpg  
    01-19-13 12:16 PM

Edit: Really? CB censores h-e-l-l?
    But yet you can say "tits" LoL Not that it really matters but I thought it was ironic. Same if your first name is D1ck (short for Richard) the censorship bureau gets you.

Good thing I'm not George Carlin on here. LoL
    01-19-13 12:21 PM
    I use credential as well. Good news is they just updated to self-clearing so trades fill in seconds. Beautiful.
    Thanks for that information. I'll check it out.
    01-19-13 12:26 PM
    Canadian companies, like RIM, are tax free the first $30,000 profit.
    Do you have any more info on this? That's the first I've heard of this. Would be good news.
    01-19-13 12:39 PM
    I read it in an investment book I have. It is 2 years old, so not written so long ago that the info is no longer good. And it is written by a Canadian for Canadians. I'll have find it and post the title for you. Very good read.
    01-19-13 12:54 PM

No idea. AAPL is showing at 517.50 (+14.82), and RIMM at 34.96 (+20.05)

My first (hopeful) thought was maybe they know something we don't as a result of options expiration/assignment this weekend, but NOK is showing at 4.42 (-.11).

It would certainly be *very* nice, but i've zero belief in that until I see it during market hours... Something similar showed a few days ago, but never occured in the market.
    01-19-13 12:56 PM

My first (hopeful) thought was maybe they know something we don't as a result of options expiration/assignment this weekend, but NOK is showing at 4.42 (-.11).

It would certainly be *very* nice, but i've zero belief in that until I see it during market hours... Something similar showed a few days ago, but never occured in the market.
    Back to 15.75...
    01-19-13 01:16 PM

lol, it was clearly just a glitch. Not the first time this happened on their site.
    01-19-13 01:55 PM
    TSX will open on Monday. If Rim stock'd rise up to 2%, closing price/share will be 16.15.
    If I put buy order as 15.85 before Nasdaq opening on Tues, I am likely to fill? or
    It will surge to 16.15 instantly when Nasdaq open at 9:30 am?
    01-19-13 06:36 PM
    It might open higher than previous close in which case your order will not be filled.

TSX will open on Monday. If Rim stock'd rise up to 2%, closing price/share will be 16.15.
    If I put buy order as 15.85 before Nasdaq opening on Tues, I am likely to fill? or
    It will surge to 16.15 instantly when Nasdaq open at 9:30 am?
    01-19-13 06:42 PM

oh the glitch ! Almost picked up my phone to call my friends ... lol ... and it's 3AM here ... #haha
    01-19-13 08:20 PM
    oh the glitch ! Almost picked up my phone to call my friends ... lol ... and it's 3AM here ... #haha
    Interesting "glitch". Currently showing $34.96 a share. Guess you guys are right that RIMM is volatile!
    01-19-13 09:21 PM
    I read it in an investment book I have. It is 2 years old, so not written so long ago that the info is no longer good. And it is written by a Canadian for Canadians. I'll have find it and post the title for you. Very good read.

it turns out, i was mistaken.....you are allowed $37,106 earned through dividend payments from canadian DIVIDEND -paying stock tax-free in ontario.

there is a chart here that shows the amount of tax you'd pay on capital gains is half the amount of taxes you'd pay had you worked for the same amount of money.
    example ( this is for use in ontario );
    you pay 12.08% tax on capital gains earnings of $37,106 compared to 24.15% tax had you earned the same amount through a regular pay cheque.
    on $127,022, capital gains tax is just 23.2% compared to 46.41% had you worked for that amount.

good to know.
    01-19-13 10:35 PM
    What about in BC? I'm thinking of moving the stocks over to my TFSA. But the currently gain would be taxable.

I'm hoping to find something like this for BC folks.

Thanks

it turns out, i was mistaken.....you are allowed $37,106 earned through dividend payments from canadian DIVIDEND -paying stock tax-free in ontario.

there is a chart here that shows the amount of tax you'd pay on capital gains is half the amount of taxes you'd pay had you worked for the same amount of money.
    you pay 12.08% tax on capital gains earnings of $37,106 compared to 24.15% tax had you earned the same amount through a regular pay cheque.
    on $127,022, capital gains tax is just 23.2% compared to 46.41% had you worked for that amount.

good to know.
    01-19-13 11:23 PM

good to know.
    The amount of tax free dividends depends on your income bracket.
    As for the capital gain, you are correct, we are only taxed on 50% of capital gains..
    01-19-13 11:26 PM
113,256 ... 8081828384 ...