View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    RIMM shre trade volume rising around 10K every couple seconds...Covers??
    01-18-13 09:05 AM
    im looking at the volume and it doesn't appear that the news is being sold. We went 13% the other day on much higher volume in the first 30 minutes. The fade on the rise seems like a head fake that managed to grab a few more shorts in.
    $16 has been broken in RTM ...

Let me make my little rain dance and ask for a 52Wk high break, even for a minute, a second, a millisecond a nanosecond ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-raindancebigjpeg-834x573.jpg
    Shanerredflag and spike12 like this.
    Volume looks like there aren't many profit taking... Shares being held long rather than trade arm
    From the Globe & Mail

RIM climbs again

Shares of Research In Motion Ltd. climbed sharply today, by more than 6 per cent, continuing a dramatic run as the launch of the BlackBerry 10 draws nearer and amid an upgrade from a key stock analyst.

The latest bit of juice for RIM is a report from analyst Peter Misek of Jefferies & Co., who boosted his price target on RIM shares to $19.50 (U.S.) from $13, and his recommendation to “buy” from “hold.”

The stock has seen five particularly good days, closing out yesterday in Toronto trading at $14.68 (Canadian) compared to under $12 last Friday.

It’s also a sharp climb from its 52-week low of $6.10, though still below the high of $18.23.

Mr. Misek said, among other things, that RIM will enable corporate e-mail on Apple Inc.’s iPhones and devices powered by the Android system from Google Inc.

“This change we believe is unknown or not well understood but is important,” he said.

He also projected a couple of quarters of earnings that could be “well above” the estimates of other analysts, at the same time noting “guaranteed volumes” from wireless carriers.

“Our checks indicate that the carriers have agreed to volume commitments for the first two quarters post-launch,” Mr. Misek said.

“Our checks indicate that BB10 builds have been raised from 500,000/month in early December to 1 million to 2 million/month,” he added in his report.

“Developers are supporting BB10 more than we expected. RIM is targeting 70,000 apps available at launch.”

His take on the opportunities for investors is interesting. Not only can shareholders win with a “successful software business” related to the iPhone iOS system and Android, also because there’s a huge short interest in RIM shares, and expectations that are too low “could start a squeeze.”

Mr. Misek has a few scenarios, one more fortunate than the others.

In his first scenario, the chance of success for the BB10 has climbed.

“In December our quarterly survey of carriers and retailers … showed that 20 per cent of respondents thought that Blackberry would be the third mobile ecosystem behind iOS and Android,” he said.

“Since December, our checks indicated better-than-expected carrier and develop support. We now think the chance of success has risen closer to 30 per cent.”

The second scenario suggests RIM will have “few strategic options” beyond a sale of the company should the BB10 not succeed.

“Due to the likely 9-24 month investment and integration timeframe before an acquirer could launch BB10 on their own hardware, we think any acquirer will be price sensitive,” he said.

“Additionally, as an unsuccessful BB10 will leave RIM likely burning cash and without a Plan B, we think RIM will have to settle for a lower-than-hoped for acquisition price.”

The third scenario is downright ugly: “BB10 fails, no acquisition, and continued cash burn leads the stock toward $0.”

It’s on the “weighted probability” of his three scenarios that he boosted his target on the stock.

Before today, the latest push for the stock came with RIM’s announcement Wednesday that Visa had approved how it will handle mobile payments.

In the lead-up to the BB10 launch on Jan. 30, not everyone is as keen as Mr. Misek.

BMO Nesbitt Burns analyst Tim Long, for example, slashed his price target on the shares to $9 (U.S.) from $12 just a week ago, rating the stock “underperform.”

•Visa signs on to RIM’s secure mobile payment tech
    Superfly_FR, s0be, zyben and 2 others like this.
    01-18-13 09:07 AM
    Please not be true. I'm praying short interest is still piling up!!!11
    Almost impossible for that to be true, but you never know. That would mean that 100million shares covered since Dec-31st. Doubt it. Maybe they left out the "3" making it 8% instead 38%. Misek can't say possible short squeeze with only 8% short interest.
    Acumenight likes this.
    01-18-13 09:21 AM
    Almost impossible for that to be true, but you never know. That would mean that 100million shares covered since Dec-31st. Doubt it. Maybe they left out the "3" making it 8% instead 38%. Misek can't say possible short squeeze with only 8% short interest.
    I find it rather incredulous myself, but...... 420 million shares have traded in the previous five days.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-volume.jpg
    Superfly_FR and bquinney like this.
    01-18-13 09:31 AM
    I think Misek is just setting the trap so IF they do not announce BBM for other platforms on the 30th by by...not bye bye... its going to get ugly.
    01-18-13 09:31 AM
    I think Misek is just setting the trap so IF they do not announce BBM for other platforms on the 30th by by...not bye bye... its going to get ugly.
    Sounds too tricky and dangerous to me ... but he can be totally false too. I mean such BBM rumor won't make the dance; right now it's only part of the tempo.
    Shanerredflag and W Hoa like this.
    01-18-13 09:36 AM
    Why not, volume has been heavy and part of the recent gap(s) up could certainly be aided by short covering.
    01-18-13 09:47 AM
    Shares of Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM.O)(RIM.TO) rose 4.6 percent on Friday after an influential analyst boosted his rating on the stock, saying RIM's new BlackBerry 10 devices performed as well or better than rivals in recent tests.

Jefferies & Co analyst Peter Misek, who lifted his stock rating on RIM to "buy" from "hold," believes Wall Street was underestimating the strength of RIM's financial performance after the new devices debut on January 30. He also lifted his price target to $19.50 from $13.

The stock jumped 4.6 percent to $15.59 on Friday on the Nasdaq and rose 5.5 percent to C$15.51 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

RIM hopes the re-engineered line of touch-screen and keyboard devices will help win back market share lost to rivals such as Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) iPhone and devices powered by Google Inc's (GOOG.O) market-leading Android operating system.

Misek, who has been skeptical for some time about RIM's odds of engineering a turnaround, said recent trials of BB10 test devices showed vast improvements over its existing smartphones.

"Recent tests and demos have shown a solid browser, smooth touch interface, and intuitive navigation. We now believe the operating system performance could be better than or equal to Android Jelly Bean and likely on par with iOS 6," said Misek, referring to the latest versions of software powering Android and Apple devices.

Shares of RIM, which fell as low as $6.22 in September, have more than doubled in value over the last four months as the BB10 launch approaches.

In November, Misek upgraded RIM's stock to "hold" from "underperform," arguing that his checks revealed greater carrier support for BB10 than expected.

Misek's last upgrade had propelled RIM's shares into double-digit territory for the first time in five months and his latest upgrade pushed the stock to a new 11-month high.

In his latest note, Misek said: "More recent checks indicate that carriers have also agreed to volume commitments for the first two quarters post-launch."

He said BB10 build orders rose from about 500,000 a month in early December to between 1 million and 2 million a month. Misek now views initial sales of 4 million Blackberry 10 devices a quarter as "not a high hurdle."

Additionally, developer support was proving to be stronger than expected, noted Misek.

"Our checks indicate that large app developers are going to put resources into developing BB10 apps," he said. "Previously we had thought they would take more of a wait-and-see approach before committing resources."

(Reporting by Euan Rocha; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Jeffrey Benkoe)

Hot StocksAsian Markets

RIM shares rise after upgrade by influential analyst | Reuters
    01-18-13 09:48 AM
    When would that have happened? Something seems wrong with that number.

Also seems strange that the Nasdaq hasn't published the short interest for the first half of Jan.
    So How would Misek know? The fact is no one knows until the numbers are out unless they have insider info.
    01-18-13 09:54 AM
    Stock movin' on up again.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-18-13 09:55 AM
    trying to hold back my excitement, but I woke up and looked into stock 45 minutes into trading. opened my charts and it said $15.62 or $15 something. I thought what funny stock is this that my level 2 is showing, what did i hit, did i enter a wrong key. once i actually got my eyes open enough to look closely it was still RIMM. I love these days! 3000 shares strong! And upgrades to juice it up!
    TomJasper, s0be and bungaboy like this.
    01-18-13 09:58 AM
    Why not, volume has been heavy and part of the recent gap(s) up could certainly be aided by short covering.

Even with 420 million shares traded that would still mean that if 100 million covered that would be 25% of those trades. Covering is basically a buy. If that's the case how much do we then say was actual buys or sells. I sold and bought back 5 times during that time and while I only have a few thousand shares, I'm sure I'm not the only person that did that. Lets also remember that anyone covering with such conviction likely is saying that they need to go long. What about those buys?
    Acumenight and Qmax like this.
    01-18-13 09:59 AM
    Even with 420 million shares traded that would still mean that if 100 million covered that would be 25% of those trades. Covering is basically a buy. If that's the case how much do we then say was actual buys or sells. I sold and bought back 5 times during that time and while I only have a few thousand shares, I'm sure I'm not the only person that did that. Lets also remember that anyone covering with such conviction likely is saying that they need to go long. What about those buys?
    I don't know for sure, either of us could be right...or wrong.... The 420M is only the last 5 trading days, there have been 13 trading days since 12/31 and 10 day average volume is over 58M per day, so the number of shares that have actually moved since 12/31 is much larger than 420M. Just the trading on the 11th or 14th could have absorbed a lot of the covering. Generally speaking shorts trade in much larger blocks than you and I and don't get in and out of the market several times a day or week. I also don't think they switch from being short to going long a stock with the conviction or frequency you seem to imply. The short was a trade. Whether they go long is a totally different calculus and doesn't happen very often, if at all, with the people I know. They will admit they were wrong and cover, but admitting it to the point of actually going long hurts them too much. Bottom line is that we shall see, enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 01-18-13 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typos...duh!
    01-18-13 10:18 AM
    So How would Misek know? The fact is no one knows until the numbers are out unless they have insider info.
    The information re: shorts came from MarkItData.

● NOTE: RIMM SI 8.4% of free float: MarkItdata
    Considering that shares shorted are essentially shares lent/borrowed a company which projects or follows these things might have that information. Such as MarkitData. Their web site has this to say:

Markit Securities Finance
    The Markit Securities Finance offering delivers securities lending data, tracking short selling and institutional fund flow across the global markets. We provide you with the data you require to manage your securities lending programmes, optimise your trading performance and enhance your investment decision making.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-18-13 10:22 AM
    That was a pretty quiet short squeeze if thats right.

Anyone else thinking the earnings call long squeeze was used to help cover the excessive short interest during the last month?
    W Hoa and bungaboy like this.
    01-18-13 10:27 AM
    Where is the dancing banana emoticon when you need one!!
    s0be likes this.
    01-18-13 10:31 AM
    01-18-13 10:42 AM
    Hmm. Someone doesn't want to play ball...

Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-18-13 11:00 AM
    So far 15.20 break through / hold seems achievable...see how the afternoon goes.
    01-18-13 11:04 AM
    I read somewhere that etrade is updating software to work on new phone. That is another plus in my books, because etrade only supports blackberry on a much older phone. It would be really nice to trade on their new phone with real time streaming. my 9900 isn't cutting it. i remember back when etrade would practically give you a blackberry to trade with.

the stock has been kinda hanging, wonder if it will touch $16 or dip or stay before weekend? it doesn't seem like it wants to kiss $15.90
    01-18-13 11:09 AM
    Now that's odd.

JP Morgan and RBC were both hired to help with RIM's strategic review.

Profit taking as they're expecting a downward correction before the stock really spikes?
    01-18-13 11:11 AM
    Now that's odd.

JP Morgan and RBC were both hired to help with RIM's strategic review.

Profit taking as they're expecting a downward correction before the stock really spikes?
    I suspect that that'd be against insider trading regulations. Those would be separate divisions of the bank, and likely one does not have access to (insider) info from the other.
    01-18-13 11:38 AM
    I think he is mixing up with Fusion. I hate to say this he does not know what he is talking about. He is right about stock target but he is wrong products side. He is probably referring to RIM fusion solution which lets u manage Anroid, iOS and BB
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-18-13 11:40 AM
113,250 ... 7677787980 ...