View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Superfly, I am going to be nice to you. My reply to BlueThunderW which will follow is not going to be nice. If earnings disappoint, or subscribers disappoint there is a significant chance the volatility of the stock will increase materially. This is likely to result in a stock that goes up and down (in either order) to a degree whereby some investors will panic. So you are long and the stock goes up, you will hold, but then when it goes down you will panic and lose money. If the stock goes down you will panic and then if it goes back up later you will be out of the market. If you are short, the exact opposite applies. RIM has lost 90% of it's share value and has recently nearly doubled in price and you are suggesting that this is not speculative? How do you define speculative then?

The title of this thread is "I support RIM and I buy shares", not "I'm an experienced day-trader and so are we all." If everyone who supported RIM ended up buying shares at $100, $90, $80, $70, $60, $50, and so on, they'd all be broke. RIM is due to have an announcement shortly, are you going to indemnify people if it moves down to $10 and everyone panics and then it recovers to its current price? There are techies here who think that RIM is perfect and can do no wrong and will buy RIM based purely on what people here are saying. This thread is out of control.
    Thanks for being nice.
    As I stated many times as a rookie, my plan is long, even longer than it usually means in the "planet finance". It sticks to Heins statement : 3-5 years. It's a confidence placement.
    You're perfectly right about fees, and I believe I've wrote/warn about that numerous times (last : #1217 just above) (oops, wasn't you).
    I hear the volatility perfectly well, but your previous post was only about "leading to zero" perspective, that's why - due to incompetence - I may not have understood the whole meaning of it.
    Since I started this thread (stock was around $15), I averaged once ($7) to finaly hold 150 shares at $10.5 (incl fees). And, as explained in my first sentence, i'll stick to it for a long time.

From my understandings :
    - Revenues will be bad. It's obvious they can't be good. At very best it will be the same E/S. But in the meantime, share holders may have grown their (potential) stock value from 30% up to 100%.
    - Concerning subscribers, I believe we'll still have the same situation than last earning calls : lost market shares but still solid subscribers base ( = not gaining as fast customers than the market grows).

Now for BThunderW ... well, I believe he's aware of what risks are tight with day trading.

I think I understand that you want to warn some not to jump in the area because they "love" their devices. I agree with that.
    But I think they can go for it, with moderation and risk conscience if they believe RIM can success in their turn around and agree with T. Heins "vision".
    This probably misses a large proportion of ice reasoning if you look at it only in a trader perspective; but certainly not "out of control". At least I'm spending a lot of time to keep (what you may call) optimism or enthusiasm as close as possible of the reality.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-17-12 at 11:51 AM. Reason: stricked out the fees line + some translation fit
    BThunderW likes this.
    12-17-12 11:36 AM
    How about this for trolling: You are dispensing advice publicly
    Nope, we are talking about what we've done and why we do it.

there is no expectation of any level of investing competence here
    Absolutely, and no one ever pretended having any accreditation to give advices

Most of the people reading this forum are noobs
    You should have more faith in the 99% people. They usually really care about their money and how they spend it.

The current volatility of RIM is significantly above the Canadian average and it is also high within the technology sector
    What stock wouldn't after a 100% rally ?
    we approaching an ER shortly, which not everyone here is aware of.
    Most here are; Chris (and other editors) blog about it about twice a month for weeks.

They don't know what could happen if RIM loses, say 5M subscribers or ships 2M less units than expected.
    Neither do I nor you. Your figures are speculative and reaction may be pondered by BB10 launch perspective

I encourage everyone to check my post history. I am blatantly honest and quite frankly my posts get plenty of likes.
    So do I, and - even if I globally disagree with the above - I'm not questioning your honesty.
    12-17-12 11:45 AM
    Superfly, my response was not meant to be harsh toward you. There was someone a few posts back in the thread who was looking excited and said he would have loved to participate if only he paid off his student loans or something. That sets off alarm bells in my head and I thought a loud response would knock sense into some people.

To be clear: I don't care if you buy or sell or you have a positive outlook or not. But, there is one sure way for RIM to lose a customer forever: lose a lot of money on the stock and become disgruntled and bitter.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-17-12 12:04 PM
    Superfly, my response was not meant to be harsh toward you. There was someone a few posts back in the thread who was looking excited and said he would have loved to participate if only he paid off his student loans or something. That sets off alarm bells in my head and I thought a loud response would knock sense into some people.

To be clear: I don't care if you buy or sell or you have a positive outlook or not. But, there is one sure way for RIM to lose a customer forever: lose a lot of money on the stock and become disgruntled and bitter.
    If I remember well, the 17 that was talking about "all in" got warned, at least by me and I believe ... you ?
    While we try not to get personal here (I even warned about how stating how much money one puts is inadequate/dangerous on a public forum), I believe a general statement won"t fit better than a personal "safety basic recommendation".

I think we're all clear now. Peace.
    bk1022 likes this.
    12-17-12 12:15 PM
    LOL. What are you? 12? You're going to report me? What are you going to say? Some guy from Canada is sharing his thoughts on RIM stock? While you're at it you should report everyone on $RIMM Research In Motion Limited stock and investing information on StockTwits (RIMM)

So go ahead, report me.....Please?

Investing advice?
    If you see a trend thay the stock price is going up, then by all means you should profit from it. I'll add my two cents, don't hold a short term play through a quarterly report unless you are confident the news will be strong one way or another. There is normally opportunity to reestablish a position shortly after at more favorable prices.
    That said, I'm no investing genius, so talk to a professional.
    That being said, I stand by my original assertion that you're nothing but attention seeking Troll.

How about this for trolling: You are dispensing advice publicly regarding a stock and you are not licensed to do so and I have half a mind to report you to IIROC for investigation and I will remind the moderators here at CrackBerry that this is not an investment forum, there is no expectation of any level of investing competence here, no one knows who anyone here is or what their motivations are and CrackBerry is facilitating it and they should close the thread immediately. Most of the people reading this forum are noobs and if you tell them they should buy RIM because it's hot then they will find a way to lose money doing it. The current volatility of RIM is significantly above the Canadian average and it is also high within the technology sector. I know of no other way of discerning how speculative a stock is other than with that measure. Not only that, we approaching an ER shortly, which not everyone here is aware of. They don't know what could happen if RIM loses, say 5M subscribers or ships 2M less units than expected.

I encourage everyone to check my post history. I am blatantly honest and quite frankly my posts get plenty of likes. So eat it.
    12-17-12 12:39 PM
    BT / bk . Ok we're done
    BThunderW likes this.
    12-17-12 12:45 PM
    Stupid stock doesn't want to drop Might have to reevaluate my entry target price.
    12-17-12 02:44 PM
    Stupid stock doesn't want to drop Might have to reevaluate my entry target price.
    I did and picked up a few more shares at $13.7x
    12-17-12 02:51 PM
    Heh, the kicker is whether I buy at 13.5 or 13.7 doesn't really make that much of a diff, but I'm cheap
    12-17-12 02:53 PM
    Heh, the kicker is whether I buy at 13.5 or 13.7 doesn't really make that much of a diff, but I'm cheap
    $0.2 by 10000 shares. that's $2000 difference. ALOT to me!!
    12-17-12 03:06 PM
    LOL. I wish I had another $140K to put into RIM. I only have enough cash to get maybe another 2000 or so shares. That's about $400. If you factor long term play, it's peanuts.

Plus, I'm in Tax Saving mode right now. So trying to limit trades to larger swings. In fact, I might just leave it alone till Jan. Not looking forward to my T5s.

$0.2 by 10000 shares. that's $2000 difference. ALOT to me!!
    12-17-12 03:15 PM
    Like I would trust anything from UBS? This analyst just doesn't understand the whole concept. But I thought I would post it for S&Gs.

RIM stock bounce reminiscent of doomed Palm rally: UBS
    Darcy Keith and Sonali Verma
    The Globe and Mail
    Published Monday, Dec. 17 2012, 1:23 PM EST
    Last updated Monday, Dec. 17 2012, 2:31 PM EST
    Buying shares now in Research In Motion Ltd. isn’t a wise investment, warns UBS Securities Canada Inc. analyst Phillip Huang.
    While surprised by the swift turnaround in market sentiment since late September, he notes there’s a disturbing historical precedent for a stock rally in a hand-held computer maker that ended in tears: Palm Inc.
    Palm saw its shares skyrocket from $3 to about $18 as it struggled to regain significance in the mobile computer market. But the stock fell back to $3.76 in about 15 months before it was acquired by Hewlett-Packard in 2010 for a mere $5.70 per share.
    “Interestingly, RIM, Nokia and HTC have all rebounded strongly off their recent lows with the market hopeful that as many as four platforms and ecosystems (iOS, Android, Windows, BB10) can succeed. We remain doubtful,” Mr. Huang said in a research note.
    He notes the recent rebound in RIM’s stock price comes amid no change in fundamentals, given that the BlackBerry 10 device won’t hit store shelves until Jan. 30.
    “With the shares now well above the 200-day moving average and trending towards the upper end of our sum-of-the-parts range, we find the risk increasingly skewed to the downside,” Mr. Huang added. “The range of outcomes is wide, and we can’t recommend shares on a low probability of success for BlackBerry 10.”
    He conceded, however, that until the launch of the BlackBerry 10, “there are likely limited hurdles” to stop the stock inching higher.
    Downside: Mr. Huang maintained a $9.50 (U.S.) stock price and “neutral” rating.
    12-17-12 05:22 PM
    Like I would trust anything from UBS? This analyst just doesn't understand the whole concept. But I thought I would post it for S&Gs.
    I hate those analysts and reporters who spread their thoughts to others. Analysts who spread good news (because they bought shares) or bad news (because they're looking for entry point to buy or to buy short). They're second to politicians, whose only job is to lie.
    12-17-12 05:38 PM
    #belief...
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg   The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture2.png  
    12-18-12 02:01 AM
    It is definitely holding strong pre-ER. My target price today for more shares still @ $13.50 (CAD/TSX) or less
    12-18-12 07:39 AM
    It is definitely holding strong pre-ER. My target price today for more shares still @ $13.50 (CAD/TSX) or less
    Going very slow down ... but I won't bet on a $13.5 break. (Warning : 100% Christal Ball - unreliable)
    12-18-12 09:02 AM
    In @ 13.44

Edit: I guess I could have held out longer, looks like big slide today.
    Last edited by BThunderW; 12-18-12 at 09:20 AM.
    12-18-12 09:07 AM
    In @ 13.44

Edit: I guess I could have held out longer, looks like big slide today.
    ouch ... yes $13.32 now, bottomed $13.28.
    [rain dance] I want $14 back !

Is there someone supporting ?
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    12-18-12 09:24 AM
    Selling is happening on US side, I don't have depth for US market. Not a lot of volume on RIM.CA. Someone dumped a lot of stock. Shorts are having a field day today.
    12-18-12 09:29 AM
    its gonna stay like that and dip even a little more until the quarterly report. Do you guys think the shares will go up just like last time if RIM reports a subscriber base increase even though everything else is negative ?
    12-18-12 09:39 AM
    The stock will rally if the reported numbers are above the analyst expectations, it'll slide if below.

its gonna stay like that and dip even a little more until the quarterly report. Do you guys think the shares will go up just like last time if RIM reports a subscriber base increase even though everything else is negative ?
    12-18-12 09:43 AM
    I haven't heard much of analysts talking about subscribers growth expectations for this quarter. I know last time analysts were predicting a decline so news of the contrary triggered a price surge.
    12-18-12 10:52 AM
    I believe consensus is 0.4 million new subscribers. Can't find the source tho.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-18-12 11:03 AM
    I believe consensus is 0.4 million new subscribers. Can't find the source tho.
    Ask Chris
    For the quarter to be reported, the consensus estimate is shipments of 7.2 million devices with an average selling price of $215 (slightly down from last quarter). Analysts think RIM will add just 0.4 million subscribers (compared to 2 million last quarter).
    I do really enjoy reading his insightful comments, and I cannot say anything but "Right" most of the time.
    Today's fav lines (following the above quote) :
    I'm not going to worry too much about those numbers because they reflect the ghost of BlackBerry Past, not the future under BlackBerry 10. But, last quarter the market was surprised at the resilience of the brand in the emerging markets, and the 2 million subscriber number was quite strong. So can they do it again?
    Please read full blog entry, don't want to twist his thoughts either : BlackBerry Stock Talk: What
    12-18-12 12:03 PM
    A LOT of resistance at 13.75. Could be closing price.
    12-18-12 12:50 PM
113,256 ... 4849505152 ...