View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The bar is set pretty low for ER so even a mild surprise will propel the stock upwards. The news would have to pretty grim for the stock to slide.
    12-05-12 03:01 PM
    RIM is sustainable for now. So long as BB10 gains even moderate acceptance to the WORLD MARKET, the company will be fine. Prem Watsa saying that the goal is long term success is the correct plan for RIMm because that's how the busienss model can be successful. You don't need every Andoid/iOS user to jump to BB10 to be a success. Heck, even 5% of the US market would be significant in terms of stock value.

FWIW: Many people buy what is best at the time when they need a new phone. Most people don't have loyalties. If BB10 is good, there are many people that will adopt it. Even if people with this mentality are only 5% of the population. The thing is, they adopt it, show there friends, and so on. In time, market share could grow nicely. So, listen to Prem!

FWIW: I started buying options at $18. Averaged down all the way to $7/share with mostly options. Overall, I am up 40% or so.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    12-05-12 03:23 PM
    I wholeheartedly agree.

A lot of sellers in the $12 region. I'm hoping $12 will become the support level soon but it's hard to say with all the uncertainty surrounding the earnings call coming up soon.
    I was saying to a friend a long time ago that it is irrational for hte stock to go under $11 due ot the cash horde. When it first moved to $9 I was shocked. $7 shocked me also. But I always thought that anything under $11 was irrational. So, now I jsut view it as being over $11 with an unproven OS around the corner. Unproven with great potential though.
    12-05-12 03:25 PM
    RIM is sustainable for now. So long as BB10 gains even moderate acceptance to the WORLD MARKET, the company will be fine. Prem Watsa saying that the goal is long term success is the correct plan for RIMm because that's how the busienss model can be successful. You don't need every Andoid/iOS user to jump to BB10 to be a success. Heck, even 5% of the US market would be significant in terms of stock value.

FWIW: Many people buy what is best at the time when they need a new phone. Most people don't have loyalties. If BB10 is good, there are many people that will adopt it. Even if people with this mentality are only 5% of the population. The thing is, they adopt it, show there friends, and so on. In time, market share could grow nicely. So, listen to Prem!

FWIW: I started buying options at $18. Averaged down all the way to $7/share with mostly options. Overall, I am up 40% or so.

From what my sourse tells me who works at one of the big three in Canada is that they are going to push BB10 hard. They wanted BB10 away from WP8 inorder to focous on one OS at a time. They are also telling me that Carriers are sick and tired of the big two ios/android pushing them around and they have had enough of it. They want four OS fighting for the pie and they see BB10 as a good chance to knock down the big two and put them in their place. Right now sales is mixed for WP8 but they are also starting from the starting line and it seems people are sick and tired of the same apple and android phones. BB10 has a nice head start with Millions of users who will be upgrading and showing off their phones to their family and friends. Plus you will have the carriers pushing BB10 hard. This is why even the most negative analysts are singing a different tune with one year targets of $43.
    12-05-12 04:26 PM
    Great potential, but may be too little too late.

In order for RIM to succeed, there are a few key features they need to accomplish.

1. Price - I don't like apple because their products almost always cost more than their competitors. BB10 will need to be priced at or below android device level with similar specs.
    2. Apps - A good selection, unlike os7 capabilities
    3. Features - Goes along with apps, but should be able to do everything a iPhone/android can do and more
    4. Business usability - One of the reason so many companies held out on the BlackBerry is their device is business friendly. It's secure and works well with email and collaboration

I used to view Balance as having a lot of promise, however I'm starting to wonder if it will really kick off. It's amazing for the BYOD model, however will companies utilize it for the company owned devices? If the device is company owned, chances are, the company is going to want full control over the device, which to me removes the value of balance. On the other hand, if your company offers free phone and dataplan to their employers and doesn't restrict them from utilizing the full capability of the phone, I see this as a great benefit.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. I bought in at around $7/share. I understand I could sell now for a nice profit, but I continue to dilute my portfolio after large drops (bought another 500 around thanksgiving). As time goes on, the risk becomes greater. RIM needs to start generating a profit by EOY 2013 for stock to begin climbing again. I believe 2013 Q3 will tell the tale for RIM.
    12-05-12 04:40 PM
    1. Apple has 40% margin on their products. It shouldn't be too hard to have a lower priced phone (Check)
    2. I believe RIM is planning launch with 150,000 apps for BB10 (check)
    3. We have yet to see what final version of BB10 will have in store but so far it looks good here (Check)
    4. BB Hub. 'Nuff Said (Check)

Great potential, but may be too little too late.

In order for RIM to succeed, there are a few key features they need to accomplish.

1. Price - I don't like apple because their products almost always cost more than their competitors. BB10 will need to be priced at or below android device level with similar specs.
    2. Apps - A good selection, unlike os7 capabilities
    3. Features - Goes along with apps, but should be able to do everything a iPhone/android can do and more
    4. Business usability - One of the reason so many companies held out on the BlackBerry is their device is business friendly. It's secure and works well with email and collaboration
    12-05-12 08:09 PM
    My opinion and prediction is that RIM is going to come close to $100 in about 1 year from now. Former BB users are going to flock back to BB. BB experience is addictive. It lets you get things done very quickly. Auto-text, universal inbox (aka the hub), red led light, alt+tab app switcher, zillions of shortcuts and so on are still not found on other devices.

It's just that
    1) BB 6/7 (Java based OS) started to show signs of age. UI became slower, hour glass icon started to make frequent appearance requiring frequent battery pulls!

2) BB 6/7 also started to really lag-behind in apps. The apps that did make it to BB 6/7 didn't feel so good because the underlying OS was slow. ..

From demos/videos of BB 10 that I have seen, it's clear that RIM has already taken care of speed/responsiveness/fluidity of the OS; and that RIM has retained best features of BB. For eg: The LED is there, OS is FIPS certified, the hub is there (it's even better now), BBM is improved, switching between multiple apps is even easier, browser rocks!

Tim Thorstein has also publicly said that they are aiming to have top 200 or so apps (for every region) available at launch. So, that means they are aggressively closing the app-gap as well.

Given that both assumptions are true, I am confident that former BB users will flock back to BlackBerry. Like bees to honey! And that alone should skyrocket the stock price. Once former users come back to BB and start showing-off their new BB to their friends, they are going to start generating significant word of mouth. Which means, even more sales, and that should further boost the stock price!

If stock doesn't get close to $100 (+- 25%), I'll eat the metaphorical crow.

DISCLAIMER : This is just my opinion!
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 12-06-12 at 01:54 PM.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-05-12 10:42 PM
    Hey, Supe!!
    Yeah, I'm with you, I'm going for it.
    I think your Anglais is more literate than a lotta people who were born to it.
    But, the shares : nowhere to go but up! As Umi says - sometimes the market is a measuring machine, sometimes it's a voting machine.
    I vote,"Oui, mon ami!" - I speak Francais like a Lithuanian bulldog...
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-06-12 03:39 AM
    I vote,"Oui, mon ami!" - I speak Francais like a Lithuanian bulldog...
    lol Lithuanian bulldog ... you killed me ! Thanks for that, and the rest !
    12-06-12 07:52 AM
    My opinion and prediction is that RIM is going to come close to $100 in about 1 year from now. Former BB users are going to flock back to BB. BB experience is addictive. It lets you get things done very quickly. Auto-text, universal inbox (aka the hub), red led light, alt+tab app switcher, zillions of shortcuts and so on are still not found on other devices.
    DISCLAIMER : This is just my opinion!
    Even with this being just your opinion, I'm interested why you think the stock will grow 1000% in one year. Just saying, you might want to get that crow ready. I think best case scenario with a very successful launch, RIM will see $25 maybe $30 by EOY 2013.

Keep in mind RIM is losing money right now.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    12-06-12 12:40 PM
    Agreed. $100 seems a bit extreme. I was projecting about $30 next year. I don't think we'll see RIM anywhere near $100 for a VERY long time, if ever. The mobile market is getting pretty crowded and RIM has their work cut out for them. You gotta remember that RIM was at $150 only because they had the mobile communication market cornered, these days are over as there are a lot of players and the others will not stop innovating either.

Even with this being just your opinion, I'm interested why you think the stock will grow 1000% in one year. Just saying, you might want to get that crow ready. I think best case scenario with a very successful launch, RIM will see $25 maybe $30 by EOY 2013.

Triplell likes this.
    12-06-12 12:49 PM

lol. Okay. Subscribe to this thread and let's revisit it in January 2014.
    12-06-12 01:24 PM
    I stand for the (approx.) $40-$50 by the end of 2014 if BB10 launch is a success (>15 Million devices)
    BThunderW likes this.
    12-06-12 01:41 PM
    lol. Okay. Subscribe to this thread and let's revisit it in January 2014.
    Dude! anything is possible but if you are right. I'm going to retire!
    12-06-12 02:01 PM
    Dude! anything is possible but if you are right. I'm going to retire!
    Ahan! How much do you stand to make if the Stock is at $75 or $100 or $125? I could only buy a few. So, if the stock does hit $75-$125 range, I'd be able to buy a few more BB 10s
    12-06-12 02:02 PM
    Ahan! How much do you stand to make if the Stock is at $75 or $100 or $125? I could only buy a few. So, if the stock does hit $75-$125 range, I'd be able to buy a few more BB 10s
    I'm in a few thousand shares at low 8's. I'm alreay in the black but feeling a little greedy.
    12-06-12 02:06 PM
    If the stock hits $100, I can retire
    12-06-12 02:09 PM
    I'm in a few thousand shares at low 8's. I'm alreay in the black but feeling a little greedy.
    May the stock rise high and higher and then some.
    12-06-12 02:09 PM
    I see we have some optimist on this board.
    12-06-12 02:12 PM
    I see we have some optimist on this board.
    Did you happen to catch the sign at the front door?
    Knightcrawler and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-06-12 08:14 PM
    i dont think i'll be able to retire (would be pretty awesome at 28 though ) but im hoping i could pay off a chunk of my car/student loans. I'd be pretty happy with that.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-06-12 09:24 PM
    i dont think i'll be able to retire (would be pretty awesome at 28 though ) but im hoping i could pay off a chunk of my car/student loans. I'd be pretty happy with that.
    +1. That sounds pretty reasonable

Day point: $11.78 after hours. stable. good.
    12-07-12 03:06 AM
    Support line forming at $12. Low volume though. Waiting for the pop.... RSI looks good.

Apple stock is taking a beating though.
    12-07-12 12:15 PM
    Support line forming at $12. Low volume though. Waiting for the pop.... RSI looks good.

Apple stock is taking a beating though.
    hit $12.13 today but back under $12 ($11.97) as I write.
    12-07-12 01:05 PM
    I bought 200 shares at $11.51, up $100 this weekend. Interested to see what comes Monday. Any professional investors thinking buy more now?
    12-08-12 11:22 AM
113,256 ... 4142434445 ...