View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Exactly. They're not buying shares, they're buying hopes and dreams. Rim doesn't give a damn about their 150 shares, but they THINK that they do. It's all about image. "I'm a loyal BB fanboy, and i'll show the world, and everyone on Crackberry that i am, because i bought shares in Rimm". Sooo PATHETIC.
    They thank you. Soooo smart.
    09-07-12 06:15 AM
    It's not pathetic to buy shares and HOPE that they go up. People do it all the time; it is called a hunch. Someone bought Facebook in the 30s expecting that bounce back.

Some people in this thread don't (or didn't) understand how publicly traded stock work. @Superfly_FR, you do, and you are supporting RIM by buying stock. But simply buying stock and thinking it will help an underperforming company is more of a wish than a plan.

In any event no one (except the Short Sellers) like it when a stock tanks. But it does show what the financial industry (65% of the RIMM shares held by institutions) thinks about the future....

Will the stock (and RIM) recover? No one knows. But their eggs are in one basket.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-07-12 06:22 AM
    C'mon guys ...

How this may help ?
    Remember when this post started; the stock was then in a rapid debacle. Stock value by itself (and the corresponding shares') does nothing good or bad to the company. We know that (but thanks for detailing this accurately). But the financial market has become a vicious mother; the more the stock lowers, the less confidence customers (I mean large companies) have in the future of the company and its capability to grow (cash, investments). "Where" does the stock (value) support comes from doesn't matter; but stopping its bleeding would definitely help, in a purely commercial perspective. It's all about the way informations are perceived by makers: they don't read Cnet or Crackberry. Instead, they read the (general and) financial press and if they read "RIM stock is toxic" then they understand "RIM is dead, whatever they do".

Sure, 10,100,1.000 or even a million shares won't change it; I'm no blind. But theoretically, supporting the stock would tend in the right direction.
    Not really Superfly. While I get what you are trying to do is change the perception, but if you or some group of people start supporting a stock near a self judged bottom then what is going to happen is that the market sharks will see that as an opportunity to con you out of your money. They would constantly short the stock and sell you near your judged bottom. They will continue to do this till you or your group run out of money after which they will simply walk away with your money while leaving the company to freely fix its stock price as per market calls. And now since you don't have any money you will no longer be able to support the company you like. So in the final tally the company you like might still tank but now you will also go bankrupt.
    Remember even Morgan Stanley had to give up on supporting FB price after three days. The market is far bigger than any group, company, bank or even countries. You can't mess with market unless you have more money than the market itself and that is not possible.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-07-12 08:04 AM
    It's not pathetic to buy shares and HOPE that they go up. People do it all the time; it is called a hunch. Someone bought Facebook in the 30s expecting that bounce back.

Some people in this thread don't (or didn't) understand how publicly traded stock work. @Superfly_FR, you do, and you are supporting RIM by buying stock. But simply buying stock and thinking it will help an underperforming company is more of a wish than a plan.

In any event no one (except the Short Sellers) like it when a stock tanks. But it does show what the financial industry (65% of the RIMM shares held by institutions) thinks about the future....

Will the stock (and RIM) recover? No one knows. But their eggs are in one basket.
    I was a short seller, and i loved it when the stock tanked. One of my many hunches, that actually did pay off(and it paid off big time).
    09-07-12 08:19 AM
    i don't support BB, i expect them to support [me], by providing me with relevant technology choices.

for this reason i have not yet bought a BB7 phone as i consider them anachronisms.

that said, the PB is very good and i am hopeful that BB10 phones will be worth my time.

but shares doesn't even come into it, thrive or die!
    09-07-12 08:45 AM
    I was a short seller, and i loved it when the stock tanked. One of my many hunches, that actually did pay off(and it paid off big time).
    Good for you, can we move on ?
    brucep1 likes this.
    09-07-12 09:28 AM
    I guess his opinion and experiences aren't valid as they are contrary to yours?
    He bet the right way. Congratulations.
    09-07-12 09:30 AM
    People are free to do what they want with their money.

Some people will save it up their money and go blow it in Vegas every now and again.
    Some people like to bet on horse races.
    Some people like to drink or smoke their way thru life.
    Some people like to to hide it in a jar buried in the back yard.
    And some people like to invest in a failing company.

Fine, do what you want! Just don't try to make yourself feel better about your decision by trying to convince others it is right or that in some way it is helping RIM.
    09-07-12 10:17 AM
    People are free to do what they want with their money.

Some people will save it up their money and go blow it in Vegas every now and again.
    Some people like to bet on horse races.
    Some people like to drink or smoke their way thru life.
    Some people like to to hide it in a jar buried in the back yard.
    And some people like to invest in a failing company.

Fine, do what you want! Just don't try to make yourself feel better about your decision by trying to convince others it is right or that in some way it is helping RIM.
    You forgot to mention that Some people will wisely invest their money and buy a fancy car with the profits .
    09-07-12 11:05 AM
    Does anyone know the reason RIMM is going up, in one day it's gone up almost $1.00 that's 15% and there is no news...

I wonder who is buying those shares.
    09-07-12 11:18 AM
    There was a big move down yesterday from $6.52 at the open to $6.33 - several million shares traded in the first hour.

Then it started moving up sharply. Since the $6.33 low is it up 71 cents (as of now). No news. Volume is a bit heavier than normal but not out of control.

Very interesting.
    09-07-12 11:20 AM
    (no comment intended, but as we read almost two pages of "6s")

09-07-12 12:52 PM
    Does anyone know the reason RIMM is going up, in one day it's gone up almost $1.00 that's 15% and there is no news...

Volatile stock tend to do that...

There is a lot of money to be made if you want to play with it on a day by day basis. But volatile stock are not what you want for long term investments.
    09-07-12 12:57 PM
    I guess his opinion and experiences aren't valid as they are contrary to yours? He bet the right way. Congratulations.
    Wasn't "good for you" clever enough ? Do you want me to dance ?

I've never tried to convince anyone to invest a dime. I'm just stating what I've done, what I do and what I plan - eventually- for the near future.

I'd friendly suggest that some flamers read the first pages ... hey guys, this is a fan site: since when fans are pure logic machines ?

I'm not even close to an investor (but I learned some basics thanks to this post and some other resources).

Just sit back an relax, we're talking about the 1/4 of an iPhone or SIII price lol
    09-07-12 01:02 PM

There was a big move down yesterday from $6.52 at the open to $6.33 - several million shares traded in the first hour.

Then it started moving up sharply. Since the $6.33 low is it up 71 cents (as of now). No news. Volume is a bit heavier than normal but not out of control.

Very interesting.
    From the current reporting the movement upward for the stock is partly as a result of Verizon, the largest carrier in the United States, pledging to carry the new BB 10 devices.

BlackBerry maker RIM boosted by Verizon pledge to carry new phone | NJ.com

The backing of Verizon, the largest U.S. wireless carrier, boosted the shares of Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM as much as 6.8 percent today. RIM is counting on BB10 to get it back in the game with Apple Inc. and Google Inc.�s more popular platforms after U.S. and Canadian consumers dumped BlackBerry models in favor of devices like the touch-screen iPhone. RIM said last month that it would soon begin commercial talks with Canada�s major wireless operators.

RIM advanced to as much as $7.17 in New York, the biggest percentage gain since Aug. 10 on an intraday basis, and was trading at $7.05 at 12:22 p.m. The stock, which had dropped 54 percent this year through yesterday, is about 95 percent below its 2008 peak.
    09-07-12 01:03 PM
    If it's Verizon, the move may be short lived, I thought it had to do with the financials that are coming in Sept, 27.
    09-07-12 01:18 PM
    It tends to climb on a Friday anyways.

But it could also have to do with the HTC quote about not being opposed to licensing BB10 on the main page.
    09-07-12 02:59 PM
    It tends to climb on a Friday anyways.

But it could also have to do with the HTC quote about not being opposed to licensing BB10 on the main page.
    Not even close to being correct. Only the items in bold reflect a Friday close higher than the previous day or week. I am almost certain that going back farther will show the tendency to climb on Fridays to be incorrect.

01 June: 10.26
    08 June: 10.88
    15 June: 10.89

22 June: 9.86
    29 June: 7.39
    06 July: 8.10
    13 July: 7.25
    20 July: 6.78
    27 July: 7.38
    03 Aug: 6.99
    10 Aug: 8.29
    17 Aug: 7.47
    24 Aug: 6.94
    31 Aug: 6.69
    09-07-12 03:26 PM
    You're looking just at the Fridays.

I'm talking about the Friday stock referenced against the previous 4 days in the same week.
    09-07-12 03:42 PM
    You're looking just at the Fridays.

I'm talking about the Friday stock referenced against the previous 4 days in the same week.
    Again, you are incorrect. In almost every instance the week started higher than the Friday close. For instance:

Close 18 June: 10.60
    Close 22 June: 9.86

Close 16 July: 7.00
    Close 20 July: 6.78

You can do the rest but my point, on balance, will hold.
    09-07-12 03:58 PM
    Tsk. Now you're just looking at the open and close of the market. You're better off just looking at the last half of any given Friday.

It's not a constant by any means, but in weeks where there isn't a major announcement or a lawsuit, it seems the stock tends to trend upwards on the Friday. It's not like it's always closing higher than it opened the week, that would mean the stock was always climbing.

I always figured it was short traders hedging up their stock at the end of the week in case something develops over the weekend.
    Last edited by morlock_man; 09-07-12 at 04:11 PM.
    09-07-12 04:04 PM
    Tsk. Now you're just looking at the open and close of the market.
    Oh for heavens sake..........
    09-07-12 04:11 PM
    Well, really...

For the stock to be regularly closing on Friday at a higher value than it opened on Monday would mean the stock was always climbing.

I'm just talking about Friday. Specifically the afternoon.
    09-07-12 04:13 PM
    And that shows or proves what, exactly?
    09-07-12 04:56 PM
    hey everyone there is a app developer who's close to winning a contest for the royla mint he is the only entry supporting blackberrys we should support him his app is called taab he is in the lead with 5 days remaning but only by 40 votes. he supports bbs so let's support him with our vote. we can vote once a day let's get him to the finnish. come on let's vote. google taab roly canadian mint and you should find the page.
    09-07-12 04:59 PM
113,256 ... 2627282930 ...