View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Wow. I always wondered who could possibly be buying a losing stock like this.

Barnum was a genius.
    There is no problem with those buying the stock right now....their down side is limited to $6 a share . It's the ones who bought at $40,$20 etc who are selling. The people buying now are smart. Not saying that they WILL make money, just that stand to lose less money but stand to gain a lot in case the stock hits $12 which is a possibility in the near future. However, RIMM heading into the $40 range and above will take time....If at all...
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-06-12 09:41 AM
    Someone sold early today. At the market open RIM dropped to $6.33 (it closed yesterday at $6.52) and over 7mm shares have exchanged hands in the first hour. That's a lot.
    09-06-12 09:45 AM
    10 million shares traded in 90 minutes. Quite a move.
    09-06-12 10:08 AM

Besides.. this thread is about supporting RIM by buying their shares.. Thinking a bit deeper than that defeats the purpose..
    Huh? Are you actually trying to say that supporting a company vis a vis stock purchases should be devoid of logic and rational analysis on the part of the buyer?

That would be buying on emotion (like vs dislike) and it is a totally foolish way to invest no matter what the company is.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-06-12 10:14 AM
    This is the thread that keeps on giving.
    sent from my Galaxy S lll (*_~)
    09-06-12 11:27 AM
    Huh? Are you actually trying to say that supporting a company vis a vis stock purchases should be devoid of logic and rational analysis on the part of the buyer?

That would be buying on emotion (like vs dislike) and it is a totally foolish way to invest no matter what the company is.
    If you are supporting a company, how can you apply logic because you would rationally come to the conclusion of not purchasing the stock which in turn means you are not supporting the company. Yes, you may apply logic and rational analysis to when and how much to buy.

It would be like buying on emotion, but it's not. It's buying on trust and faith in a company with multiple years of proven success.
    09-06-12 11:46 AM
    And several years of failure..
    09-06-12 11:51 AM
    why are you even here?
    09-06-12 11:56 AM
    If you are supporting a company, how can you apply logic because you would rationally come to the conclusion of not purchasing the stock which in turn means you are not supporting the company. Yes, you may apply logic and rational analysis to when and how much to buy.

It would be like buying on emotion, but it's not. It's buying on trust and faith in a company with multiple years of proven success.
    Liking a company's product is not a good enough reason to put your hard earned money in its stock. Buying on "trust and faith" is what makes you lose your money. People bought Reliance Power stock on trust and faith. They didn't even get their capital back.
    You want to help RIM, buy their product. Help sell it and inform potential converts about its features. Buying the shares from the market doesn't help RIM. Not a penny gets to their bank. It goes in the hands of some guy who might be offloading his loss onto you. A company makes money from the stock market when the float an IPO. So unless you are buying RIM shares in the IPO or buying if the company decides to sell its reserved stock, you are not contributing to RIM in any way. All you are doing is setting yourself up to lose your own money.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-06-12 12:48 PM
    ... So unless you are buying RIM shares in the IPO or buying if the company decides to sell its reserved stock, you are not contributing to RIM in any way. All you are doing is setting yourself up to lose your own money.
    I think you are helping them by buying up shares so others who are less pro RIM cannot force the company to do things that are contrary to the best long term interests of them. Many investors are in it for the short haul and would be just as happy to sell the company piece by piece to make a 20% profit.
    I also think that by buying stock, you may also be setting yourself up to make money.
    09-06-12 01:11 PM
    You would have to buy up a lot of shares to be able to influence a company to "do things that are contrary to the best long term interests". A lot.

A 20% profit on a $7 is $1.40 per share. Before commissions and taxes. Again, and it depends on the investor, but you would need to buy quite a few shares to make "real money".

If you buy 50 or 100 shares at $6.66 (the price right now) you aren't helping or hurting RIM. You are taking 100% of the risk.
    09-06-12 01:16 PM
    You would have to buy up a lot of shares to be able to influence a company to "do things that are contrary to the best long term interests". A lot.

A 20% profit on a $7 is $1.40 per share. Before commissions and taxes. Again, and it depends on the investor, but you would need to buy quite a few shares to make "real money".

If you buy 50 or 100 shares at $6.66 (the price right now) you aren't helping or hurting RIM. You are taking 100% of the risk.
    So many people have such strange concepts about the stockmarket. No wonder there are so many available to be conned there. And it's legal too....
    09-06-12 01:49 PM
    I think you are helping them by buying up shares so others who are less pro RIM cannot force the company to do things that are contrary to the best long term interests of them. Many investors are in it for the short haul and would be just as happy to sell the company piece by piece to make a 20% profit.
    Do you have any idea how many shares one would have to purchase to make this a reality? Hint: It will be substantially north of 150 shares.
    09-06-12 01:55 PM
    Do you have any idea how many shares one would have to purchase to make this a reality? Hint: It will be substantially north of 150 shares.
    And it may even be north of 52,000,000 shares since Prem's purchases haven't done much either
    09-06-12 02:48 PM
    just buy shares to show ur support? every blackberry owner did that with 10 shares thats just 60$ would make up to 700 million shares? wouldn't that help?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    09-06-12 02:53 PM
    No. That wouldn't help. You aren't buying stock from RIM. You are buying in (via a broker/middleman) from someone who is selling it.

I did own RIM stock. Sold at $120. Good for me. If it goes below $6 I *may* buy some. But none of my brokers want to touch it. RIM is toxic.

It's not about support. It's about making money. It's that easy.
    09-06-12 02:55 PM
    just buy shares to show ur support? every blackberry owner did that with 10 shares thats just 60$ would make up to 700 million shares? wouldn't that help?

Help who? The previous owner of those shares ( which is not RIM)?
    09-06-12 02:57 PM

It's not shares RIM needs to sell. It's phones (and some regularly priced tablets wouldn't hurt either).
    09-06-12 02:59 PM
    buying shares will help brokers & previous shareholders?

what are you guys saying?

09-06-12 04:51 PM
    It's not shares RIM needs to sell. It's phones (and some regularly priced tablets wouldn't hurt either).

ya but who wants to ask ignorant people to buy bbs?

these guys here are more concerned about rim stock and position than rim..

09-06-12 04:53 PM

Yes. Buying some piddly amount of RIM stock will in no way help RIM.
    09-06-12 05:00 PM

Why aren't you able to understand how stock markets work? When you buy shares from the stock market you are in no way contributing to the company. The company gets paid when they launched the initial public offer. After that the stock is bought and sold between separate parties who are in no way connected to the company. The transaction is being done between two people one of which sees a future prospect for self profit and another seeks to book his profit already made or lessen his loss.

As for your suggestion regarding every supporter of RIM buying ten shares so that they control the path of the company, well try and get 70 million people to agree on a common path. He|| just try to get 4 people to agree on the same thing. That's not how companies are run. The shareholders have zero say in a company. It's the board of directors who control what the company does. To get a seat on the board you would need a substantial amount of shares and even then you would get only one seat. You would then have to convince 12 others on your chosen path. Or you would need to get the backing of a large majority of shareholders to get your way in the board. Try asking Vic Albioni how that's going for him. He has been trying that for almost a year.
    09-06-12 05:15 PM
    Varunsain - do you understand how the stock market works?

RIM stock (code is RIMM on the NASDAQ US Stock exchange) is openly traded. There are currently 516.2 million shares outstanding. These shares are traded by brokers (and dealers) who make money (a commission) every time shares are bought OR sold.

When someone puts in an order to buy RIMM stock with a broker (or online) it is matched up with someone who wants to see an equivalent amount. There is a bid and asked price.

The buyers pays money (including a commission) and the seller receives the money (minus a commission). RIM gets nothing. Buyer pays, sellers receives and the brokers get a cut.

BTW - calling other people ignorant really isn't the best way to get your point across.

Some interesting statistics:
    % Held by Insiders: 10.24% (people who work for RIM or are on their board)
    % Held by Institutions: 65.60% (hedge funds, mutual funds, institutional investors)

Between insiders and institutions they control over 75% of the company...

RIM GETS NOTHING.

@sam_b77 - you beat me to the punch...
    Last edited by njblackberry; 09-06-12 at 05:23 PM.
    09-06-12 05:19 PM
    Yes. Buying some piddly amount of RIM stock will in no way help RIM.
    Exactly. They're not buying shares, they're buying hopes and dreams. Rim doesn't give a damn about their 150 shares, but they THINK that they do. It's all about image. "I'm a loyal BB fanboy, and i'll show the world, and everyone on Crackberry that i am, because i bought shares in Rimm". Sooo PATHETIC.
    Shlooky likes this.
    09-06-12 05:31 PM
    C'mon guys ...

How this may help ?
    Remember when this post started; the stock was then in a rapid debacle. Stock value by itself (and the corresponding shares') does nothing good or bad to the company. We know that (but thanks for detailing this accurately). But the financial market has become a vicious mother; the more the stock lowers, the less confidence customers (I mean large companies) have in the future of the company and its capability to grow (cash, investments). "Where" does the stock (value) support comes from doesn't matter; but stopping its bleeding would definitely help, in a purely commercial perspective. It's all about the way informations are perceived by makers: they don't read Cnet or Crackberry. Instead, they read the (general and) financial press and if they read "RIM stock is toxic" then they understand "RIM is dead, whatever they do".

Sure, 10,100,1.000 or even a million shares won't change it; I'm no blind. But theoretically, supporting the stock would tend in the right direction.
    09-07-12 06:12 AM
113,250 ... 2526272829 ...