View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    So if I was a trader ...
    Bought 100 @ $7.4 and today is (before the assembly)

[/URL]
    And here is what it looks like a few hours later:

07-09-12 05:02 PM
    And here is what it looks like a few hours later:

Click to view quoted image
    It closed today at $7.67. What is your point?
    07-09-12 05:06 PM
    Nice, why are you posting updates on the stock price as if you're day-trading?
    As a follow-up and to demonstrate that no one (me included) here has "universal knowledge" regarding RIM stocks move. While many may have been short for a while (with a moderated success), it shows that in the current situation, speculation can be done.

And yes Scalemaster, to "keep the thread alive", or answer those that give some useful or personal inputs in a thread I initiated long ago and which history may feed reflexion about "reality perception" against "reality distortion".
    No one is forced to read, however, some like to bump it just to say "oh, that post is stupid" ... I found interesting to screen the move before and after today's (10th of july) assembly, as I did already when notable events took place.
    So, with your permission (or not), I'd make another situation point here :

And as you can see, I'm not doing it only when it serves my thoughts.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-10-12 at 01:55 AM.
    07-10-12 01:48 AM
    You're welcome. I sold short at $16, and bought back at $8. How are you doing?
    Averaged under $10, while I bought at $15 initially. Once again, I'm not speculating; its gut investment as you may call it.
    But I'm very glad you did well, don't misread me; in particular while you bought back I may consider you're still with RIM. Congrats. Please feel free to share your knowledge/vision about it
    07-10-12 01:52 AM
    Averaged under $10, while I bought at $15 initially. Once again, I'm not speculating; its gut investment as you may call it.
    But I'm very glad you did well, don't misread me; in particular while you bought back I may consider you're still with RIM. Congrats. Please feel free to share your knowledge/vision about it
    It was mostly a gut investment. I knew that RIMM was heading for trouble, over a year ago. Friends of mine at Wells Fargo (back in N.Y.), kept a close watch on the latest earnings reports, and also the corporate side of things. I believe that BB users, have over inflated egos, for absolutely NO reason, so i set out to prove a point. I shared all my intel, on the forum here, but i knew that very few, if any, would sell short. IMHO, BB peaked, product wise, with the Bold9000. They just got too full of themselves, and thought that they were invincible. Guess what, they weren't. Frick & Frack, who were the CEO's, got out when the getting was good (with outstanding pensions), so now they can "give back" a small portion, from their golden parachutes, and look like good guys. On the personal side, i've used BB's (out of date), iPhones (too restrictive), and Android (my present phone). You, my friend, have bought stock on the speculation that it will climb, due to the release of BB10. It may very well rise somewhat, but that new platform isn't the Second Coming. Technology advances so rapidly today, that when BB10 is released, it may very well be partly out of date! If BB10 is not well received, or even eclipsed at the beginning, then i believe that RIMM will either go under, or be sold (and re-appear as a sub brand of another techy company). These are all my personal opinions.
    07-10-12 08:09 AM
    It was mostly a gut investment. I knew that RIMM was heading for trouble, over a year ago. Friends of mine at Wells Fargo (back in N.Y.), kept a close watch on the latest earnings reports, and also the corporate side of things. I believe that BB users, have over inflated egos, for absolutely NO reason, so i set out to prove a point. I shared all my intel, on the forum here, but i knew that very few, if any, would sell short. IMHO, BB peaked, product wise, with the Bold9000. They just got too full of themselves, and thought that they were invincible. Guess what, they weren't. Frick & Frack, who were the CEO's, got out when the getting was good (with outstanding pensions), so now they can "give back" a small portion, from their golden parachutes, and look like good guys. On the personal side, i've used BB's (out of date), iPhones (too restrictive), and Android (my present phone). You, my friend, have bought stock on the speculation that it will climb, due to the release of BB10. It may very well rise somewhat, but that new platform isn't the Second Coming. Technology advances so rapidly today, that when BB10 is released, it may very well be partly out of date! If BB10 is not well received, or even eclipsed at the beginning, then i believe that RIMM will either go under, or be sold (and re-appear as a sub brand of another techy company). These are all my personal opinions.
    Thanks button disappeared, so ... thanks !
    I do believe the conjunction of some events will bring RIM back, first being BB10, indeed. I'll add the carriers concern about APPL and GGL/Samsung monopoly and - mostly in Europe - the consumers fear about "invasion of privacy".

Edit (add) : There's no equivalent project that can compare with what BB10 is announced to offer. Ok, it's a faithful statement, but it's mine
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-10-12 at 08:24 AM.
    07-10-12 08:19 AM
    Thanks button disappeared, so ... thanks !
    I do believe the conjunction of some events will bring RIM back, first being BB10, indeed. I'll add the carriers concern about APPL and GGL/Samsung monopoly and - mostly in Europe - the consumers fear about "invasion of privacy".

Edit (add) : There's no equivalent project that can compare with what BB10 is announced to offer. Ok, it's a faithful statement, but it's mine
    Well, RIMM has put all their eggs into one basket, so to speak. That basket is BB10, and for their sake, i hope that it works out. That being said, you don't trade in the market, on "maybe". Sentimentality has no place in stock trading. You trade with your brain, not your heart.
    07-10-12 08:31 AM
    Being foolish and as I have done in the past will tell you about it. I took half of my profits in my RIMM trades to date and bought some $8 Sept calls yesterday. I am hoping for a dead cat bounce or a take over or a good annual meeting. I still don't believe in RIMM long-term, but taking flyers on RIMM bounces in the past have made my a few thousand dollars here and there which I have posted about in almost real time. Its very possible I will give back 1/2 of what I've made but we shall see. Its been a gamble since I risked the first $1,500 back in the fall but so far, so good......

Support RIMM buy tons of shares this week!!!!!!!!!!
    07-10-12 08:49 AM
    You trade with your brain, not your heart.
    I'll champion the "hearted amateur chance" With a VERY reasonable amount of bucks.
    07-10-12 08:54 AM
    Let's hope that a few of the board members are 'layed off' today. Several are in their late 60's and one who has been there through good times and bad is 78! Get rid of these people, they are out of touch.
    07-10-12 08:56 AM
    Let's hope that a few of the board members are 'layed off' today. Several are in their late 60's and one who has been there through good times and bad is 78! Get rid of these people, they are out of touch.
    I am hoping Prem Watsa gets really angry and really wants his $400M back and goes off on them all!
    07-10-12 09:03 AM
    A very interesting technical discussion by Florian Mueller makes the following point:

Two days ago, the International Business Times noted that the value RIM officially attaches to its patent portfolio now corresponds to approximately 85% of the declining company's total market capitalization. But the net book value of $3.37 billion of RIM's 3,357 patents is a number that investors should view with a great deal of skepticism to say the least.

The number is simply inconsistent with what RIM is doing with its patents (if it really believed it had such a treasure trove of patents, it wouldn't have been consistently on the receiving end of infringement lawsuits, including that Nokia just hit it with three more patents in Munich) and the positions it just took in a letter to the US International Trade Commission.

Apart from reflecting that the company doesn't appear to believe much in the future of its product business, that letter also shows that RIM sees far less value in its non-standard-essential patents than in the relatively limited number of standard-essential patents (SEPs) it owns. As an investor, I'd be profoundly worried.
    Last edited by cgk; 07-11-12 at 07:25 AM.
    07-11-12 07:23 AM
    "Apart from reflecting that the company doesn't appear to believe much in the future of its product business"...

That statement is certainly inconsistent with their public actions.
    07-11-12 07:41 AM
    "Apart from reflecting that the company doesn't appear to believe much in the future of its product business"...

That statement is certainly inconsistent with their public actions.
    Why is that a surprise? Until a company shuts it's doors, most official and officers of the company will say that they believe in the product or company - they are expected to. Muller's area of expertise is in a specific area - that of patents and his analysis follows from that narrow critical lens - he's not performing an analysis of their public statements but rather what their actions regarding their IPR means.
    Last edited by cgk; 07-11-12 at 07:51 AM.
    07-11-12 07:46 AM
    07-11-12 10:56 AM
    Even though the company announced the postponement of its new phone, it does not imply any valuable information about the success of its product. Contrarian investors might find an investment in RIMM attractive as they buy on bad news and await a pullback from its recent sell-off.
    Think he is just a numbers guy, and knows very little about RIM and it's "history".

But I do agree that for now at the current level of assets, RIMM is a good short term buy.
    07-11-12 02:03 PM
    Please, add me to the list of official RIM shareholders I just picked up my first 20 shares today, also the first time in my life I ever bought stock. It is not remotely on the idea of "i'm in it to make money", but just to be a very small piece of the RIM foundation, especially as my number of shares increases. Feels good anyway
    08-16-12 11:35 AM
    Planning on buying around 1,000 next week when my cheque clears from my one bank to the one I used for buying stocks.
    08-16-12 12:52 PM
    Please, add me to the list of official RIM shareholders I just picked up my first 20 shares today, also the first time in my life I ever bought stock. It is not remotely on the idea of "i'm in it to make money", but just to be a very small piece of the RIM foundation, especially as my number of shares increases. Feels good anyway
    No worries my friend you will make money with RIM. I did the same a little while back and have a significant investment with them now. I actually did the same with Nokia which will rise as well.

I have no doubt the stock will be $20+ by early next year.
    08-16-12 01:42 PM
    Planning on buying around 1,000 next week when my cheque clears from my one bank to the one I used for buying stocks.
    So I now own 1 millionth of RIM. I hope Thorsten treats me with the respect I now deserve.
    08-17-12 10:33 AM
    I'm not wealthy and don't have money to throw away.

So no.
    08-17-12 11:39 AM
    A very interesting technical discussion by Florian Mueller makes the following point:
    To be clear, Florian Mueller is a self-avowed corporate shill.

DailyTech - Top Anti-Android Blogger Florian Mueller is Being Paid by Oracle
    08-17-12 02:23 PM
    ^ No comments from the peanut gallery about that tidbit?
    08-18-12 11:05 AM
    No one cares.
    JasW likes this.
    08-18-12 11:40 AM
    Or no one cares to acknowledge the whole pay-for-praise system exists and likely has been pointed towards RIM at one time or another?

Mueller wasn't paid to talk up Oracle, but to bash Android, which works in Apple's favor. Oracle has direct dealings with Apple, who rely on their Java codebase and their Exadata servers to power their cloud services. One hand washes the other.

Apple and Oracle release simultaneous Java updates for OS X | Ars Technica

Oracle updates Java for Mac, Linux, ARM - Page 1 - Integrating IT

Are Oracle's Exadata racks fluffing Apple's iCloud? ? The Register

Apple hands Java reins to Oracle | Deep Tech - CNET News

Job Ad Indicates Apple Using Oracle, IBM Servers in North Carolina Data Center | PCWorld Business Center

Tech stock investors should be doing their own research rather than listening to the paid squawkings of shills like Mueller.
    08-18-12 11:57 AM
113,256 ... 2223242526 ...