View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I know what a dead cat bounce looks like. In this case, the bounce happened when RIM hinted at management changes.

The 2.0 launch has to work, and it has to be on time. Jim and Mike have to leave the board, amicably, and, hopefully, we'll see other changes announced. BB10 has to be shown at least periodically to confirm the engineers haven't thrown up their hands in defeat.
    The OS2.0 launch will have a relatively little impact on share price, good or bad. Don't get fooled by the hype on here. In the grand scheme of things, investors could care less if functionality is added to a 8 month old product.
    01-17-12 02:25 PM
    The OS2.0 launch will have a relatively little impact on share price, good or bad. Don't get fooled by the hype on here. In the grand scheme of things, investors could care less if functionality is added to a 8 month old product.
    No, you are incorrect. If OS2 provides the added functionality that people and businesses are looking for, demand will increase, sales will increase, positive reports will balance the inevitable negative reports ignorantly proclaiming "too little too late". Demand and sales will increase top and bottom line and reinforce that RIM can deliver when they are focused. So upside will be there and stock prices will respond.

It's undeniable. RIM is rolling now.
    01-17-12 02:38 PM
    No, you are incorrect. If OS2 provides the added functionality that people and businesses are looking for, demand will increase, sales will increase, positive reports will balance the inevitable negative reports ignorantly proclaiming "too little too late". Demand and sales will increase top and bottom line and reinforce that RIM can deliver when they are focused. So upside will be there and stock prices will respond.

This sounds like evangelism; what are your supporting facts, and please have something more than "Staples sold out last week."
    brucep1 likes this.
    01-17-12 02:45 PM

Telling me I'm incorrect assumes you know the future.

OS 2.0 can provide all the functionality it wants, but guess what? The iPad 3 is rumored to be announced at the beginning of next month. It will be directly competing with a brand new product from Apple. I think that speaks for itself.

So, let me get this straight. Your theory is that this software update singlehandidly turns the company around, raises the stock price, and reinforce belief in the company's management team.

RIM is hardly rolling. More like they are on empty with 20 laps to go in the race and have begun putting anything it can find in the tank with hope it makes the car go.
    01-17-12 02:47 PM
    Telling me I'm incorrect assumes you know the future.

OS 2.0 can provide all the functionality it wants, but guess what? The iPad 3 is rumored to be announced at the beginning of next month. It will be directly competing with a brand new product from Apple. I think that speaks for itself.

So, let me get this straight. Your theory is that this software update singlehandidly turns the company around, raises the stock price, and reinforce belief in the company's management team.

RIM is hardly rolling. More like they are on empty with 20 laps to go in the race and have begun putting anything it can find in the tank with hope it makes the car go.
    Sales and stock prices say otherwise. RIM is working their plan and even the typically negative media are having to acknowledge it. Sales appear to be up. iPad3, if it arrives at all, will be priced very high and still too large. There are and will be plenty of people and businesses that will choose RIM and the PlayBook and some will choose Android. In this growing market segment there will be growth opportunities for others besides apple.

Want proof? Read the news. Watch the stock. Watch sales. Do your own homework. I did and I own RIMM stock and am making money.

The "short the stock" crowd have been pretty quiet lately. Maybe too busy shipping their ipads to Gazelle so they can get some bucks to cover their short calls.
    01-17-12 03:01 PM
    My average cost of each share amounts to about $13.75. Price currently is at about $17.30, which tells me I'm sitting pretty +$10650.00. Yep, RIMM is going nowhere but up. . Oh wait, it just went up $0.11/ share, make that $10,980.00.
    01-17-12 03:09 PM
    iPad3, if it arrives at all, will be priced very high and still too large.
    HUH?!?!?! Not the second part, I understand that it's considered "Too Big" here even at 20:1 sales margins.

But priced high? You don't expect it to be $499 (traditional iPad 16gb wifi price), and thus right around RIMM's cost of production for the Playbook?
    01-17-12 03:31 PM
    HUH?!?!?! Not the second part, I understand that it's considered "Too Big" here even at 20:1 sales margins.

But priced high? You don't expect it to be $499 (traditional iPad 16gb wifi price), and thus right around RIMM's cost of production for the Playbook?
    No and No. apple will charge more than that, maybe not even sell the 16GB version. With their "20:1 sales margins" they will continue to push the price higher (gotta pay those Chinese children another candy bar a day...)

And no, the cost of production of the PlayBook is nowhere near that high, it is far less and less than the selling prices for the devices, which range up to 64GB incidentally. Do your research.
    01-17-12 11:56 PM
    The "short the stock" crowd have been pretty quiet lately. Maybe too busy shipping their ipads to Gazelle so they can get some bucks to cover their short calls.
    Actually, I think they are at some tropical beach after the killing they made in the last year. Maybe that's why you haven't heard from them.
    01-18-12 06:40 AM

Sales and stock prices say otherwise. RIM is working their plan and even the typically negative media are having to acknowledge it. Sales appear to be up. iPad3, if it arrives at all, will be priced very high and still too large. There are and will be plenty of people and businesses that will choose RIM and the PlayBook and some will choose Android. In this growing market segment there will be growth opportunities for others besides apple.

Want proof? Read the news. Watch the stock. Watch sales. Do your own homework. I did and I own RIMM stock and am making money.T
    he "short the stock" crowd have been pretty quiet lately. Maybe too busy shipping their ipads to Gazelle so they can get some bucks to cover their short calls.
    No and No. apple will charge more than that, maybe not even sell the 16GB version. With their "20:1 sales margins" they will continue to push the price higher (gotta pay those Chinese children another candy bar a day...)

And no, the cost of production of the PlayBook is nowhere near that high, it is far less and less than the selling prices for the devices, which range up to 64GB incidentally. Do your research.
    The reply I would need to correct the misinformation in these posts exceeds the character limit of crackberry. The worst parts I have highlighted in bold.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    01-18-12 06:45 AM
    Put a stop in at where you bought. If the Samsung rumor is shot down, this rally could fade quickly.
    Looks like Samsung shot down the rumor and RIMM Is giving up about $1.00 in pre-market. Too bad yesterday's gain might be wiped out, but that it the nature of the Wall St rumor mill.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46031929
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 01-18-12 at 07:34 AM.
    01-18-12 07:23 AM
    Actually, I think they are at some tropical beach after the killing they made in the last year. Maybe that's why you haven't heard from them.
    Yep, unlike those who "invested" in RIMM and didn't take profits yesterday when the market gave them a chance to get the heck out of this stock, they have risk/loss policies and I am sure they covered when they quadrupled their money if not way before....
    01-18-12 07:25 AM

Want proof? Read the news. Watch the stock. Watch sales. Do your own homework. I did and I own RIMM stock and am making money.

I hope you were posting in jest. The iPad 3 WILL be here in March. It may be "large" and priced "high" as per your requirements, but it will sell. In fact, people will probably line up in the freezing cold to get it and it will sell far above list price for a while too. I don't understand it either, but you are ignoring reality if you don't think that is what is going to happen. Sad that it is also going to cost you $$ as the RIMM "rally" fades.... I doubt you are still making money on RIMM unless you are incredible market timer which even the pros can't do consistently. The pros shorted this stock and were out long ago with 3-4 x their initial investment
    01-18-12 07:31 AM
    apple will charge more than that, maybe not even sell the 16GB version. With their "20:1 sales margins" they will continue to push the price higher (gotta pay those Chinese children another candy bar a day...)
    Baseless conjecture, flying in the face of everything we have ever observed from Apple. Got anything beyond "I hope so, I really hope so!" to back this fantasy?

You've seen how it works... the competition gets Apple within sight right about now in each release cycle. Then the new Apple product is released, competing execs stand stone-faced, but break down in tears when the selling price is announced. Why would that change?

Ah... no. Playbooks sell at a loss, period. Ask the half-CEOs, they won't even deny it.

When Playbooks are priced at cost + $1, they rot on the shelves. Cost - $100 to cost - $200 is the price that causes the recent modest Playbook sales.

Read a bit even on this site and you'd know this... and don't chase a "contribution margin" fallacy.
    Last edited by Palmless; 01-18-12 at 08:05 AM.
    01-18-12 08:02 AM
    My average cost of each share amounts to about $13.75. Price currently is at about $17.30, which tells me I'm sitting pretty +$10650.00. Yep, RIMM is going nowhere but up. . Oh wait, it just went up $0.11/ share, make that $10,980.00.
    Looks like Samsung shot down the rumor and RIMM Is giving up about $1.00 in pre-market. Too bad yesterday's gain might be wiped out, but that it the nature of the Wall St rumor mill.

News Headlines
    Hope you cashed out
    01-18-12 08:07 AM
    It's only dipped below $13.75 once in the past 3 months. Unless you loaded up on that one day I highly doubt you are telling the truth. If you are going to keep bragging on this forum about all the money you are making, at least show some proof. Screenshot or it didnt happen.
    princesultan likes this.
    01-18-12 08:14 AM
    Congrats, you are an incredible market timer having bought at almost the absolute bottom (for now). December 16 must have been your lucky day. I thought only BJ could have done that but see we have another great market timer in our midst. I truly hope your getting out timing is just as great, BJ was not so fortunate. I'd put a $15 stop loss order in just in case and play with the houses money. I'd also set a top side sell order at whatever you want to make and let it execute. Say at $20, that would be nice return on your money. JMHO....

PS - risking $40,000+ on RIMM is a bold move, glad you have that kind of jingle to play with, Congrats.
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 01-18-12 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added PS
    brucep1 likes this.
    01-18-12 08:47 AM
    Let's for a moment assume that's true. $13.75 to the (current) $16.98 and dropping is a $3.23 gain if you can hold it. Up 23.5%, dropping, and a distinct possibility of the bottom falling out.

If you'd purchased AAPL that day at $381.02, today it is at $427.86 and going up. $46.84 gain. "Only" 12.3%, but likely to keep going up as the other stock goes down, and no credible speculation that it will evaporate in our lifetime.

AAPL market cap has gone up $43B since 12/16/11, one month ago, enough to buy RIMM five times. I wonder why they did not...
    Last edited by Palmless; 01-18-12 at 11:44 AM.
    01-18-12 11:35 AM
    Let's for a moment assume that's true. $13.75 to the (current) $16.98 and dropping is a $3.23 gain if you can hold it. Up 23.5%, dropping, and a distinct possibility of the bottom falling out.

AAPL market cap has gone up $43B since 12/16/11, one month ago, enough to buy RIMM five times. I wonder why they did not...
    RIM stock isnt dropping currently, not in the big picture. sure they are down today, but thats purely because they were inflated yesterday on the samsung news. the reality is they are still up from 2 days ago and even with the `drop` over yesterday, the shares are level today.

as for enough to buy RIM five times, that would mean purchasing at market cap price, which isnt very objective as iv never seen that done. a good example is google purchased motorola at an almost double share value. RIM`s current market cap is $8.9bn, theres no way a buyout would take place below $15bn imo.
    01-18-12 12:48 PM

If you'd purchased AAPL that day at $381.02, today it is at $427.86 and going up. $46.84 gain. "Only" 12.3%, but likely to keep going up as the other stock goes down, and no credible speculation that it will evaporate in our lifetime.

Oh, I have AAPL, and they have allowed me to live the life I was born to live. Read my posts where I borrowed money from my dear Mother to buy Apple stock at a time when everybody was looking to dump their shares. I have every confidence that RIMM will make me as proud as Apple has.
    01-18-12 12:55 PM
    RIM stock isnt dropping currently, not in the big picture. sure they are down today, but thats purely because they were inflated yesterday on the samsung news. the reality is they are still up from 2 days ago and even with the `drop` over yesterday, the shares are level today.

as for enough to buy RIM five times, that would mean purchasing at market cap price, which isnt very objective as iv never seen that done. a good example is google purchased motorola at an almost double share value. RIM`s current market cap is $8.9bn, theres no way a buyout would take place below $15bn imo.
    RIMM isn't dropping, not in the "big picture." You really have got to be kidding me. It is down 75% in the last year, 25% in the last 3 months, only in the last month is it "up" 5%, still 70% down from a year ago. One month is not the big picture at all, in any other time period it is massively DOWN and dropping.
    01-18-12 01:08 PM

So... the growth in AAPL share price in the past thirty one days would only fund purchasing 100% of RIMM's stock THREE times, not five...

RIMM ftw?
    01-18-12 01:45 PM
    It's only dipped below $13.75 once in the past 3 months. Unless you loaded up on that one day I highly doubt you are telling the truth. If you are going to keep bragging on this forum about all the money you are making, at least show some proof. Screenshot or it didnt happen.
    Guess you're gonna' have to live with that doubt.
    01-18-12 01:47 PM
    The reply I would need to correct the misinformation in these posts exceeds the character limit of crackberry. The worst parts I have highlighted in bold.
    And yet the stock price of RIMM continues to go up. There clearly has been a turnaround, so go ahead and continue to sit on the side and criticize without facts. I will continue to make money on the stock.

Even with the rebuttal of the Samsung rumor, RIMM has regained almost all of the gain that most attributed to the rumor. So BGR did their pump and dump but the overall trend is...UP.

And if the "Shorts" had made a killing they would have flocked here. Their absence is because RIMM is rising, and the shorts lost their shorts. Sell those used ipads, boys!
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-18-12 02:59 PM
    RIMM isn't dropping, not in the "big picture." You really have got to be kidding me. It is down 75% in the last year, 25% in the last 3 months, only in the last month is it "up" 5%, still 70% down from a year ago. One month is not the big picture at all, in any other time period it is massively DOWN and dropping.
    ...and it's not like markets NEVER over-react, right?

Again, no question, RIM had a horrible year in 2011, and a lot of it was self-inflicted. I think there's at least a possibility that the current management review will actually produce some effective changes at the top. You wait and see how RIM's share price responds if meaningful change is announced (and it's supposed to happen sooner rather than later).

My rationale here: Mike and Jim have seen their own personal fortunes devastated in the course of this stock crash; both have a huge vested interest in seeing the company recover. However big each of their egos may be, I think there's a chance either or both has the common sense to do the right thing now.
    01-18-12 03:12 PM
113,251 ... 89101112 ...