View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just buying some RIM shares right now.
    While I think it can't really hurt me and I may have a delicious surprise in,say, 5 years, I'm not doing this in a speculative vision, just a support action. As my savings are low, I'll not spend a lot, so maybe I'll buy only 5.

How many of us (and friends) can afford this ? I don't know ...
    But if we actively buzz this, it may ... oh, yes, I'm a dreamer...
    But just imagine 10% of BB users claiming five shares ...

P.S: Yes, I'm a part of the 99% : I have no other share anywhere.

Disclaimer : buying shares is a high risk action that must not be done unless the money you engage is under 5% of your personal liquid assets. By no mean I intend to forecast a raise of the shares or any kind of advantage. Be aware that You can lose everything and I won't be responsible for this in any circumstance. (if any jurist is around, please PM me if this disclaimer is a fail !)
    Now, that you are a shareholder, I think you should sue RIM's board for negligence. They are supposed to operate in the best interests of the shareholders and it's clear they aren't doing that when the CEOs keep their jobs despite their continued poor performance.
    1812dave and mustangv8 like this.
    12-16-11 11:06 AM

The stock market is telling RIM that they need an intervention, like an alcoholic who has hit rock bottom. It is a company with an honorable history that could be saved, in some form or another. But it will never compete with Google, Samsung, Microsoft, and Apple in this era of the world.

They need another plan, quickly. They are good at hardware, and have a history of success with services. They are not good at marketing (i.e. envisioning, designing, building, shipping [on time], advertising, and selling) devices for direct-to-consumer sales in the developed world. Starting from those first-principles, I think they could re-invent themselves as a vertical-market supplier of wireless devices for certain industries, and certain environments. Make 'em durable, data- and power-efficient, super-secure, and accordingly expensive; don't plan to sell more than a few million. Something like that. "Toughberry" for geologists, mercenaries, doctors-without-borders, etc. Oh, and fire their CEOs… I mean, really!
    there are much greater opportunities for RIMM than that. Sean Udall said it best, IMO

In my view, it would be far easier to work with Research in Motion (RIMM) as another Android reseller as I've talked about previously. Google (GOOG) could also do a deal with RIMM to use their security layer/network as a standalone agreement, thus allowing all Android devices to benefit from RIMM enterprise security.

It would be likely more seamless and disruptive for both to just have RIMM license Android and give the RIMM users the benefit of Android and RIMM's network security layer. I still contend if RIMM did this they would restore a material portion (say at least a third) of their lost share within 2-3 quarters.

Frankly, I am growing more surprised one of the two above deals hasn't been inked already as it seems exceedingly obvious. It would also allow RIMM to stay independent for a good while longer, if not in perpetuity.
    12-16-11 11:18 AM
    I enjoy following this thread but I HATE the title. Everytime I read it, I keep thinking to myself "You DO know buying RIM shares has NOTHINg to do with supporting them RIGHT?"
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    12-16-11 11:33 AM
    Why does RIM need two CEO's when other, bigger companies do fine with one.

And aside from that, why do they need two CEO's when both of them have failed to deliver for the shareholders and failed to take advantage of their position in the market just a few years ago?

Like it or not, its not about how great they are doing overseas, but how poorly they are doing in the US right now.

War Is All We Know
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 12-16-11 at 11:39 AM.
    12-16-11 11:36 AM
    Why does RIM need two CEO's when other, bigger companies do fine with one.

And aside from that, why do they need two CEO's when both of them have failed to deliver for the shareholders and failed to take advantage of their position in the market just a few years ago?

Like it or not, its not about how great they are doing overseas, but how poorly they are doing in the US right now.

War Is All We Know
    Expect the overseas market share to start deteriorating soon as well.
    12-16-11 11:56 AM
    I think RIM already has indications that is beginning to happen, which may be why they are prediciting they will ship 2-3 million fewer units next quarter.
    12-16-11 12:04 PM
    I think RIM already has indications that is beginning to happen, which may be why they are prediciting they will ship 2-3 million fewer units next quarter.
    Quite right. Now wait till the analysts start reporting on it. the stock hasn't found its new bottom yet. Rest assured this gonne drop a bunch more before it bottoms out.
    12-16-11 12:24 PM
    Exactly..The reason people make such a big deal about the US decline is because often times you could interpret the US as a leading indicator, meaning if something becomes popular in the US then it can be interpreted that the rest of the world will follow. Look at Facebook, the internet, etc. But the opposite is also true.

THIS is why the US market disaster has put such a fear into people. My opinion.
    TBone4eva likes this.
    12-16-11 12:43 PM
    Exactly..The reason people make such a big deal about the US decline is because often times you could interpret the US as a leading indicator, meaning if something becomes popular in the US then it can be interpreted that the rest of the world will follow. Look at Facebook, the internet, etc. But the opposite is also true.

THIS is why the US market disaster has put such a fear into people. My opinion.
    Yes this is what I have been hearing for the last few weeks as I've wondered why RIM doing so bad in the US, yet apparently so good everywhere else was the big deal that it was.

Then I listen to a few guys who know stocks a lot more than I do and they pretty much said the same thing.

While I don't think it's Really fair to say a company is doing bad just because of one market while the are improving in others, I guess that's Wallstreet for ya.

War Is All We Know
    12-16-11 12:47 PM
    Yep, just like nokia's dominance is beginning to dwindle little by little.
    12-16-11 08:48 PM
    Does anyone know a good broker where I can buy shares? Looking to buy about $10,000 worth.
    You can add another 15k to that so you can open a margin account to short it.
    12-16-11 08:52 PM
    1. Scottrade. $7 per online trade.

2. RIM is not apple when apple was down, but RIM does have substantial value now and a plan to increase that value. Maybe delayed, and certainly blasted by many, but a plan none the less. And they are feeling the heat so I expect to see significant progress in the next 6 months to implement that plan, starting with the PB OS2 in February. They may not climb as high or as fast as apple, but climb they will. $ where my O is. But that is my decision. Do your own analysis and act as you see fit.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    12-16-11 09:49 PM
    I highly recommend not doing that. What makes you think that between now and the release of os10 that would indicate a rise in share price?
    I'm willing to take a risk and I believe in RIM with OS10 (BBX) that there shares can go up.
    12-17-11 12:15 AM
    1. Scottrade. $7 per online trade.

2. RIM is not apple when apple was down, but RIM does have substantial value now and a plan to increase that value. Maybe delayed, and certainly blasted by many, but a plan none the less. And they are feeling the heat so I expect to see significant progress in the next 6 months to implement that plan, starting with the PB OS2 in February. They may not climb as high or as fast as apple, but climb they will. $ where my O is. But that is my decision. Do your own analysis and act as you see fit.
    Rimm has NOT had a plan that works that is why the stock is down so much this year and they have missed estimates the whole past year through lowered revisions and weak guidance.

Why mess with junk stock, catching a falling knife in tech rarely works. why not just buy ibm, aapl, or goog and set your limit a touch above for some quick cash rather than having to try and sit on losses for years(like so many shareholders, excuse me; the majority of the shareholders) and hoping that some fool will come along and bid which will prop up the price and will likely later be blocked by the Canadian govt.

Yes the assets are worth a great portion of the share price, but nobody truly knows how much those assets are worth and what they could sell for. And rimm has shown an unwillingness to work with shareholders and activists while the top 2 fools run the company closer to zero. Looks like they continue to work on the wrong side of things and are too stubborn to make worthwhile changes.
    12-17-11 01:26 AM
    Can CEOs short their own companies? If so, we might have an answer to this whole thing!
    mustangv8 likes this.
    12-17-11 03:13 AM
    Can CEOs short their own companies? If so, we might have an answer to this whole thing!
    Defeats the whole purpose of ESOs, if any made available and taken by the CEOs. :\
    12-17-11 10:27 AM
    Defeats the whole purpose of ESOs, if any made available and taken by the CEOs. :\
    As someone with inside knowledge of the junk company he is running, in my opinion, he could prosper much, much greater through having others short, buy puts, and sell(write) call options.

Three ways in one that he can be making cash through others. Plus, the gimmick of "hey, I'm losing money too." Isn't good enough when you only own a portion of the company and the majority is getting ripped to shreds losing their savings.

I believe he has no faith in this company. That is why he has not bought any large lots of shares, offered a dividend to shareholders that are losing everything, or even had a company buyback of stock with shareholder money so he personally has nothing on the line. That would make his lowered eps goals which continue to decline easier to hit with less shares outstanding.
    12-17-11 10:16 PM
    So the question is how many of the folks who own RIM use a BB or will get a BB as their next phone? I own the stock and use an Android. Due for an upgrade and thinking about the 9850.
    12-20-11 10:27 AM
    So the question is how many of the folks who own RIM use a BB or will get a BB as their next phone? I own the stock and use an Android. Due for an upgrade and thinking about the 9850.
    Hold off on the upgrade for a while. Soon, you may be the first kid on your block to own an Appleberry!
    12-20-11 10:47 AM
    Hold off on the upgrade for a while. Soon, you may be the first kid on your block to own an Appleberry!
    I'd rather own a dingleberry than buy that bast@rdized creation
    12-20-11 10:54 AM
    I'd rather own a dingleberry than buy that bast@rdized creation
    I'm loving it. You can have all the dingleberries you want! Doesn't it hurt, when you walk?
    12-20-11 11:14 AM
    Supporting RIM by buying shares is akin to supporting breast cancer research by buying a bra.
    12-20-11 01:17 PM
    Supporting RIM by buying shares is akin to supporting breast cancer research by buying a bra.
    Well if the bra manufacturing company donated some money from each bra sold towards breast cancer research then your scenario would play out, wouldnt it?
    12-20-11 02:01 PM
    Buy RIM shares? You kidding right? Haven't you seen how fast they are dropping? Would you like to lose money? I think not.
    It's hard to understand WHY at this point, though, because the fundamentals are totally screwy.

Today's (sub-$13) price puts them at a market cap of below $7bln. They're still making revenues of over half-a-billion a quarter, and THEY HAVE A BILLION IN CASH

You could fire all of the management, close them down, and sell off their assets piece by piece and make more back than their current market cap.

So, no, RIM at it's current price isn't bad. It's a fire sale.
    12-20-11 02:05 PM
    Anybody cares to explain / speculate why RIM didn't not buy back any share in the last couple of quarters when its stocks took a deep dive?
    12-22-11 01:29 AM
113,256 ... 56789 ...