View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Right now as RIMM's stock is almost practically worth pennies than dollars, and with all this news about, would it really hurt to maybe buy some shares. Like if your talking a loss, wouldn't it be better to take a small loss than some life threatening loss? Sorry i'm not too knowledgeable but was thinking about maybe taking a shot at buying some and wanted some real outlook.
    12-04-11 08:09 PM
    Right now as RIMM's stock is almost practically worth pennies than dollars, and with all this news about, would it really hurt to maybe buy some shares. Like if your talking a loss, wouldn't it be better to take a small loss than some life threatening loss? Sorry i'm not too knowledgeable but was thinking about maybe taking a shot at buying some and wanted some real outlook.
    My advice would be to speak with a stock broker. I never buy stocks because they are cheap.
    12-04-11 08:13 PM
    My advice would be to speak with a stock broker. I never buy stocks because they are cheap.
    Yes sir. Except stock brokers are just like used car salesman, they only get paid when they process your order. Stock brokers cannot give advice and are not licensed in most cases to do so. That would be a financial advisor.

There is a big difference in a cheap stock - one based on a very low P/E, one that has a lot of free cash flow on hand per share, and others that many newer investors make a mistake with - just a low price per share but with a huge allotment of shares outstanding - ie sprint, bank of america, etc.

From my experience and my history of studying the market, trying to catch a falling knife in tech companies and trying to hit a bottom rarely ever works. Rimm has been a so called value play for the majority of this year. Even at 25 it was considered by many as a value play. Bad results continued to come, the shorts piled on, and heck, rimm and the so called book value haven't even propped the stock up enough.
    I believe money can be made and I traded rimm twice this past month and was lucky I got out with a very small profit.

Do not go all in and be ready to invest in more shares as the price drops and please take a quick profit if you are lucky to get one in rimm. With the huge declines afterhours we have witnessed this past year, a close stop limit loss would not hit in many cases.

I don't like hating on this company, but there are so many problems at the top(ceo, management) and it is rather obvious to me and many that the shareholders are paying for all these issues by losing a ton of money, not rimm the company or the management. The people that are invested and have been beat down by wall st.
    12-13-11 01:58 AM
    The biggest piece of good news is how RIM will pull itself out with the new QNX phones. Until then, don't expect any persistence of earnings or GN with this stock. For traders of RIM, 2012 will be the year to make it big if you're long on the stock. I bet some traders made a ton of money just shorting the stock this year by ****ting on it.
    12-13-11 08:32 AM
    i invested when they were at 28. blah.
    Look, buying shares in RIMM, or any company does NOT help that company, it only helps the broker who sold you the shares! You should have SOLD SHORT at $28. Depending on how much stock you shorted, if you put in your buy back order today, you could be driving a Lamborghini tomorrow.
    12-14-11 06:39 PM
    LOL I was telling people not to buy back in August. A poster here named "euro2low" didn't follow my advice and bought at $34. His bad decision is immortalized in my sig.

Enjoy your losses guys!
    Caymancroc likes this.
    12-15-11 06:59 PM
    Caveat: I don't buy any stock, except chicken stock, and only near the end of the semester when my food budget is low.
    12-15-11 07:50 PM
    Showing your loyalty to a company is a good thing. Buying shares in that company, to show your loyalty, is DUMB! If you want to support RIMM, buy the Blackberry of your choice, not the company stock. If you bought high, i hope you enjoy the ride down. To paraphrase my favorite band...You're on a Highway to ****. Have a nice day.
    12-15-11 08:02 PM
    In the long run, RIM will he a major player again. They are profitable, still have huge sales, and a good range of products including about the best hardware and OS in the emerging tablet market. Although they have problems much of that is the orchestrated feeding frenzy of bad press at the same time that crapple just gets a pass with their frequent problems and product shortcomings.

Not buying to support the company. RIM may be very wise long-term investment. Trolls just love the hate.
    12-15-11 09:57 PM
    I bough shares at $18, but Not to support RIM heck they don't pay my bills.
    Though it was a good investment, so I'm gonna wait it out cause if I sell now I might regret it down the line.
    12-15-11 10:09 PM
    Does anyone know a good broker where I can buy shares? Looking to buy about $10,000 worth.
    12-15-11 10:11 PM
    In the long run, RIM will he a major player again. They are profitable, still have huge sales, and a good range of products including about the best hardware and OS in the emerging tablet market. Although they have problems much of that is the orchestrated feeding frenzy of bad press at the same time that crapple just gets a pass with their frequent problems and product shortcomings.

Not buying to support the company. RIM may be very wise long-term investment. Trolls just love the hate.

the stock price is forward looking. When you see a stock meltdown from $70 to $13.98 in only 10 months it is screaming a message to you about the future viability of it's business model. when you jump in and buy such a stock, you are making the claim that the entire stock market is not as smart as you and the professionals that study the industry day in a and day out need to take a lesson from your analysis of future viability. I hope you do well with your trade, but don't like your chances.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-15-11 10:11 PM
    the stock price is forward looking. When you see a stock meltdown from $70 to $13.98 in only 10 months it is screaming a message to you about the future viability of it's business model. when you jump in and buy such a stock, you are making the claim that the entire stock market is not as smart as you and the professionals that study the industry day in a and day out need to take a lesson from your analysis of future viability. I hope you do well with your trade, but don't like your chances.
    The Same guy that persuaded everyone to buy Apple stocks when they were at $7 is the same guy that said Rim is on his Top 5 for 2012.
    http://http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000059630
    12-15-11 10:25 PM
    The Same guy that persuaded everyone to buy Apple stocks when they were at $7 is the same guy that said Rim is on his Top 5 for 2012.
    http://http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000059630
    This has been discussed before. It is unlikely RIM will make a comeback like that of Apple.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-15-11 11:54 PM
    Does anyone know a good broker where I can buy shares? Looking to buy about $10,000 worth.
    Seriously, wait a month. $10k could get you control plus fund co-CEO salaries for a decade.
    12-16-11 07:28 AM
    I highly recommend not doing that. What makes you think that between now and the release of os10 that would indicate a rise in share price?
    12-16-11 07:33 AM
    Just an update: shares are opening at about 13.70, after "after-market trading".
    12-16-11 07:36 AM
    I highly recommend not doing that. What makes you think that between now and the release of os10 that would indicate a rise in share price?
    Buy out/take over is abotu the only thing. Maybe when fusion rolls out and IF they see some major income from companies adding other phones to bes but not likely.
    12-16-11 09:10 AM
    Sure thing..just go ahead and wire me your money, and I'll take care of the rest. Just don't be surprised if you only get back a very small portion of that when you decide to sell <Insert evil laugh here>
    12-16-11 09:16 AM
    $13.39 ... ouch!
    12-16-11 09:29 AM

Look, i'm NOT a BB hater. I own and use a BB9000 +an iPhone4. I'm not a troll, and have every right to post in these forums. When it comes to the stock market, you have to invest with your HEAD, not your HEART. I believe that you are talking out of another part of your anatomy. RIMM is a very wise long-term investment? Where is that info coming from, 2007? Without new and effective leadership, especially in the marketing department, you WILL see RIMM drop below $10., and probably bottom out at around $7.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-16-11 09:50 AM
    How about if you send ME the $10 grand. I'll give you something that RIM can't--a big THANK YOU!!
    12-16-11 09:52 AM
    How about if you send ME the $10 grand. I'll give you something that RIM can't--a big THANK YOU!!
    In 2 months just send him back $7,500, he'll be way ahead of where he would have been if he had actually invested and you'll have $2,500 for your troubles.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-16-11 10:00 AM
    Fools and their money are soon parted.

Sigh...

PS. Did you ever think as to why CB Kevin only owns 1 share of RIM stock?

Sent from my BlackBerry.
    1812dave and mustangv8 like this.
    12-16-11 10:01 AM

"Crapple" gets a pass on problems and shortcomings because those problems and shortcomings are infrequent, minor, and quickly remedied. What is "frequent" are product-releases from "crapple" that keep their product-line competitive, and that (more importantly) are proven to be extremely attractive to customers (as measured by their millions of sales, in the U.S. and abroad).

If your investment strategy is to pour money into a company whose recent incompetence is matched only by their lack of transparency (if not outright duplicity), and your your risk-mitigation strategy is to whine about how unfair it is that its competitors are successful, you deserve to lose your shirt.

The stock market is telling RIM that they need an intervention, like an alcoholic who has hit rock bottom. It is a company with an honorable history that could be saved, in some form or another. But it will never compete with Google, Samsung, Microsoft, and Apple in this era of the world.

They need another plan, quickly. They are good at hardware, and have a history of success with services. They are not good at marketing (i.e. envisioning, designing, building, shipping [on time], advertising, and selling) devices for direct-to-consumer sales in the developed world. Starting from those first-principles, I think they could re-invent themselves as a vertical-market supplier of wireless devices for certain industries, and certain environments. Make 'em durable, data- and power-efficient, super-secure, and accordingly expensive; don't plan to sell more than a few million. Something like that. "Toughberry" for geologists, mercenaries, doctors-without-borders, etc. Oh, and fire their CEOs� I mean, really!
    12-16-11 10:43 AM
113,250 ... 45678 ...