View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Well, I must admit I had doubts while buying RIM shares. As I said, it was an action to support (yes, I've just renew my whole mobile stuff PB+9900), as I think the market position is unfair. I heard a lot of you, pro and con, but today, I made my mind ... and even updated my buy order up to [S]10[S] 15 shares.

Thanks to Chris Umiastowski and its post over the crackberry blog I'm now able to have a more precise view, in fact somehow a better English written explanation of my view, which is almost 99% his. I won't quote parts, I'd better let you read this, and maybe argue on its blog entry, as he seems far much capable than I am !

Still, I believe that if we could set a buzz stating that we, BB loyal customers, have faith in our brand and its destiny and prove it by buying shares ... it certainly won't hurt.

EDIT: dammit my banker is a noob ... have to wait 'till monday ... increased qty btw ... 15 capped @ 19.5 ... grrr
    15 shares? hahaha, why even waste your time with an order like that? What does a banker have to do with a stock order? Don't you have an online trading account?
    11-06-11 12:36 AM
    I would like to help RIM too. I placed a limit order for 5 shares @ 17.50.

I expect a personal thank you letter to arrive from Jim Balsillie one week after fill. I am sure he appreciates it.
    11-06-11 06:23 AM
    Why are so many crackberry members supporters of this company that is run into the ground by management? If RIMM had any faith in their product, they would initiate a share buyback since the shares are supposedly so cheap.
    I agree that rimm may be an average down position with how low it is, but look at all the profits thae shorts have made on this junk stock. Why hasn't the entire management been held responsible for the mess they have created? maybe the canadian govt. should buy in, since they suppress any canadian companies and basically block any chance of an American takeover, putting the govt's interest over the citizens that actually have hard earned cash in the game. JMO
    The Canadian government can block a Foreign takeover of any company, take a look at Potash Corp. To permit a foreign takeover, there has to be a "net benefit" to the Canadian people. There is no way RIM would be taken over by any non-US corp, and probably any US corp. The jobs are way to easy to transfer out of Waterloo.
    11-06-11 07:10 AM
    Support RIM by buying its products and using its services. Don't 'support' RIM by investing in them. Keep your head separate from your heart.

I see countless posts about RIMM on this forum, and can't help but wonder how young, foolish, and ignorant many of you are with your investing ways.

Device without contract $500. Value after 3 years? $100

5 RIMM shares like the OP is suggesting? $100. Value after 3 years? Potentially $500

Who is the foolish one?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-06-11 11:28 AM
    Device without contract $500. Value after 3 years? $100

5 RIMM shares like the OP is suggesting? $100. Value after 3 years? Potentially $500

Who is the foolish one?
    Thank you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-11 01:57 PM
    15 shares? hahaha, why even waste your time with an order like that? What does a banker have to do with a stock order? Don't you have an online trading account?
    As stated, I'm a "99%" profile.
    So I had to open a title wallet @ my bank.
    Yes, it will cost me and probably ruin any short-term benefit hope.
    And yes, I don't care (if not, you're right, I'll not bet 15 shares ... but 1500, at least).

Edit: well, it seems that you bet against RIM. Please stay focus on the company, don't play it against real persons, ahahaha.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-07-11 at 04:37 AM.
    11-07-11 04:35 AM
    Sorry if this has been stated previously, but purchasing RIMM shares really does not support the company. You are purchasing from a seller not RIM itself, so no funds from your purchase go into the company. As a couple of posters have stated if you want to support the company and current management purchase and talk up RIM products and services.

Having said the above I have myself purchased shares of products I own. But that action is for my benefit and not the company, I supported their operating earnings with my product purchase and am betting that they will support my retirement fund with good earnings and revenue growth.
    anon4154006 likes this.
    11-07-11 06:02 AM
    Sorry if this has been stated previously, but purchasing RIMM shares really does not support the company. You are purchasing from a seller not RIM itself, so no funds from your purchase go into the company. As a couple of posters have stated if you want to support the company and current management purchase and talk up RIM products and services.

Having said the above I have myself purchased shares of products I own. But that action is for my benefit and not the company, I supported their operating earnings with my product purchase and am betting that they will support my retirement fund with good earnings and revenue growth.
    If such action was massively followed by BB users (I mean around 5-10%), it won't influence at all the quote by itself, and it's not anyhow its purpose.
    I had this idea because I read too many times : "even BB users are really considering other solutions".
    What I got from fiends, colleagues, clients and even unknown persons in the street was the opposite (95% in my head track record).
    So I imagined that a movement of users, buying with no particular speculative views but supportive activism, may prove that many are not leaving, on the contrary.

And this will warm humans hearts in RIM's house ... this is what I call support
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-07-11 at 06:22 AM.
    11-07-11 06:20 AM
    I for one have placed an order for 400 RIM shares valued at around $8,000. It will either be the smartest investment I have ever made or the worst one.

But a growing company with a P/E below book value just does not make sense to me
    Let us wait and see.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-08-11 10:01 AM
    Since the Blackberry outbreak thing, I won't invest a nickel more than my Blackberry itself. I'm loyal to my blackberry but RIM is not economically safe and worth it.
    11-09-11 11:24 AM
    Great news here. As stated many times, RIM is not only a "box" provider. Its value is mostly on the server side and associated services ... and here comes the ...

In French :M�d�ric Leborgne (RIM/BlackBerry)*: �*Nous voulons proposer une suite de gestion multiplateformes compl�te dans un seul outil*� | silicon.fr

Google EN translated : Google Traduction
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-11-11 at 04:34 AM.
    11-11-11 04:31 AM
    Like someone mentioned above, it's a secondary market that you'll be purchasing from, which will probably not help RIM. However, there is something you could help as a shareholder, and that would be a shakeup in senior management!
    11-11-11 11:31 AM
    So if I go to Vegas and bet on the Jaguars, am I supporting the Jaguars?
    11-11-11 12:21 PM
    So if I go to Vegas and bet on the Jaguars, am I supporting the Jaguars?
    Just wonder ... if they get a favorable "quote" because all supporters believe that they can win; how do you think the players will feel while entering the field ?
    This is just what that thread is about.
    And the answer to your question is : yes, somehow.
    11-12-11 05:33 AM
    I would like to help RIM too. I placed a limit order for 5 shares @ 17.50.

I expect a personal thank you letter to arrive from Jim Balsillie one week after fill. I am sure he appreciates it.
    Seems like there's a chance you will be picking up your 5 shares. Price opens on markets at about $17.50.
    11-21-11 07:28 AM
    I for one have placed an order for 400 RIM shares valued at around $8,000. It will either be the smartest investment I have ever made or the worst one.

But a growing company with a P/E below book value just does not make sense to me
    Let us wait and see.
    Have you taken a loss for tax purposes yet? Your supposed order placed at $20 a share x 400 is already down $1056 without broker fees if you still own.
    11-22-11 12:26 AM
    Have you taken a loss for tax purposes yet? Your supposed order placed at $20 a share x 400 is already down $1056 without broker fees if you still own.
    I presume everybody understood that it is nowhere a short term investment ...
    The quote is going to yoyo between, say, around 17 and 20 until February (maybe a peek if OS2 is beta released for companies before). Personally, I bought around 18 USD and will keep my position until it goes up to 30.

P.S: Of course, as initially stated, I'm a little gamer with a tiny (10) number of shares, whose purpose is not speculation.
    11-22-11 02:27 AM
    Analysts are having fun with the upgrades/ downgrades see-saw.

In my opinion its a nice gamble if you have little money to spare - infinity upwards and 17$ down
    11-22-11 11:55 AM
    Bloodbath in low volume. Adding some here today.
    11-23-11 01:59 PM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just buying some RIM shares right now.
    While I think it can't really hurt me and I may have a delicious surprise in,say, 5 years, I'm not doing this in a speculative vision, just a support action. As my savings are low, I'll not spend a lot, so maybe I'll buy only 5.

How many of us (and friends) can afford this ? I don't know ...
    But if we actively buzz this, it may ... oh, yes, I'm a dreamer...
    But just imagine 10% of BB users claiming five shares ...

P.S: Yes, I'm a part of the 99% : I have no other share anywhere.

[COLOR=Red]Disclaimer : buying shares is a high risk action that must not be done unless the money you engage is under 5% of your personal liquid assets. By no mean I intend to forecast a raise of the shares or any kind of advantage. Be aware that You

can lose everything and I won't be responsible for this in any circumstance.
    [/COLO

R] (if any jurist is around, please PM me if this disclaimer is a fail !)

nice.... i am a supporter also... and a am optimistic on Rim ... love the Bold 9900 and the Playbook ....major new innovations underway which are very positive and exciting!!!
    menaknow and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-24-11 12:43 AM
    With RIMM stock price closing in around $16, where is the news of insiders buying? Or what happenned to share buyback plan announced earlier this year?

Are Balsillie and Lazaridis buying here? The answer is no. Why risk their own money when they receive free stock options. They are already fabulously wealthy even though no longer billionaires.

All of you individual shareholders are taking all of the risk and left holding the bag.
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 11-24-11 at 05:18 AM.
    11-24-11 05:15 AM
    With RIMM stock price closing in around $16, where is the news of insiders buying? Or what happenned to share buyback plan announced earlier this year?

Are Balsillie and Lazaridis buying here? The answer is no. Why risk their own money when they receive free stock options. They are already fabulously wealthy even though no longer billionaires.

All of you individual shareholders are taking all of the risk and left holding the bag.
    Right. The silence is deafening out of this company right now. The stock was higher back in 1999. I fully understand the silence period running up into earnings. Nevertheless, If you look at Dev Con and the lack of press releases about anything positive coming out of the company, I suspect the market has a good gauge of how little this company has in the pipeline to pull itself out of the mire.

I think RIM has written off this and the next few quarters as really bad and that is why they are willing to write down the play books with this firesale. We should know more on Dec 15th.
    11-24-11 06:58 AM
    December 15 Q3 Fiscal 2012 Results Announcement is coming up.

Should be interesting.

I for one am still invested but more of just holding what I have and not buying anymore. To put it in perspective, I am holding on everything in this market and not buying...
    11-24-11 10:24 AM
    You know, I would prob. buy some shares if I understood more about them. Haha.

My question right now is, what determines the price of a share. As in, I see right now RIM is at $16.00 down $0.20. What factors into the share being $16.00, $70+ a few months ago, etc...

I'm sure this is all simple and I probably should know it, but, I never really took the time to learn it so...

War Is All We Know
    11-25-11 01:15 PM
    You know, I would prob. buy some shares if I understood more about them. Haha.

My question right now is, what determines the price of a share. As in, I see right now RIM is at $16.00 down $0.20. What factors into the share being $16.00, $70+ a few months ago, etc...

I'm sure this is all simple and I probably should know it, but, I never really took the time to learn it so...

War Is All We Know
    there are a lot better sources to get these investing questions answered than the crack berry forum. I wish you well.
    11-25-11 02:33 PM
113,250 ... 23456 ...