View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Been waiting for this: Strategic alternatives, e.g. "The possible separation of one or more of BlackBerry’s businesses"

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...-configuration

The company is now "in play" and sum-of-the-parts valuations are finally relevant. BB is interesting once again, possibly for the final time.
    With the big unknown... patents out of the way, the company's true valuation is much easier to calculate.

Interesting is what the board will need to do, if Chen retires at the end of the year.
    techvisor likes this.
    05-08-23 07:17 AM
    WATERLOO, ONTARIO – May 30, 2023 – BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) will hold its Annual General and Special Meeting (AGM) virtually, on June 27, 2023, at 1:00 pm ET. The AGM, including the live audio webcast and voting platform, can be accessed at https://web.lumiagm.com/403-247-511. To save the date click here or visit BlackBerry.com.

Registered shareholders and duly appointed proxyholders can vote at the AGM. Non-registered or beneficial shareholders who wish to vote at the AGM must appoint themselves as proxyholder by delivering a form of proxy and registering online at http://www.computershare.com/BlackBerry with Computershare Investor Services before 2:00 pm ET, June 23, 2023.

For more information, including a user guide with additional details on how to join the AGM, whether you are a registered shareholder, a non-registered shareholder, a beneficial shareholder, or a guest, visit BlackBerry.com/Investors.

A replay of the AGM will be available at BlackBerry.com/Investors.
    Might learn more about these "Strategic Alternatives" they are looking into...
    05-30-23 10:41 AM
    https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2023..._medium=social

General Availability of BlackBerry IVY Opens a New Era in Software-Defined Vehicle Innovation
    06-06-23 05:56 AM
    https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2023..._medium=social

General Availability of BlackBerry IVY Opens a New Era in Software-Defined Vehicle Innovation
    Sadly as has been pointed out... it's a new era for BlackBerry, but old news for most the automotive industry. Time will tell if the big automakers opt to utilize what they already have created in house or if they see a need to switch to what BlackBerry is offering via AWS. Can see if Chen has any real guidance in a few weeks, based on feedback from all the POC that have been going on for a while.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 06-06-23 at 10:37 AM.
    06-06-23 06:59 AM
    Election Results for the Company's Board of Directors
    https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...d-of-directors

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screenshot-2023-06-28-104606.jpg

Also they have posted highlights of the Annual Meeting with Shareholders from yesterday... https://www.blackberry.com/content/d...-June-2023.mp4 it's about 51 minuets
    06-28-23 10:50 AM
    Well nothing really new out of the shareholder meetings or earnings call.... last week.

The patent sale gave them a boost overall, but they missed on their two primary business - cybersecurity and IoT. And in general their "business" continues to shrink across the board - based on YoY numbers.

Chen was very upbeat during his AGM address... after a decade of hard work, he feels he has accomplished his goal, and that BlackBerry sits in a unique position to marry enterprise cybersecurity solutions with IoT planforms to offer a level of "trust" needed in this growingly digitized world. (his goodbye speech?)

If true, the Board should have no problem finding a buyer for what is now a relatively small company.
    ddp_in likes this.
    07-07-23 10:06 AM
    Well nothing really new out of the shareholder meetings or earnings call.... last week.

The patent sale gave them a boost overall, but they missed on their two primary business - cybersecurity and IoT. And in general their "business" continues to shrink across the board - based on YoY numbers.

Chen was very upbeat during his AGM address... after a decade of hard work, he feels he has accomplished his goal, and that BlackBerry sits in a unique position to marry enterprise cybersecurity solutions with IoT planforms to offer a level of "trust" needed in this growingly digitized world. (his goodbye speech?)

If true, the Board should have no problem finding a buyer for what is now a relatively small company.
    I watched several of the presentations (thanks for the downloadable links!). My impression was they'd had another subpar year and were trying to put a brave face on it. Also an impression of a lot of corporate-speak bafflegab and acronyms (tho not from Chen).
    07-07-23 10:56 AM
    I watched several of the presentations (thanks for the downloadable links!). My impression was they'd had another subpar year and were trying to put a brave face on it. Also an impression of a lot of corporate-speak bafflegab and acronyms (tho not from Chen).
    Well they have a copule of upcoming Investor Events that you can stream as well

• JP Morgan Auto Conference – Wednesday, August 9, 2023, at 5:20pm ET

John Wall, SVP and Head of BlackBerry QNX, and Tim Foote, VP Investor Relations, will join Ryan Brinkman, JP Morgan, for a fireside chat. Register here for the live audio stream.

• Canaccord Genuity 43rd Annual Growth Conference – Thursday, August 10, 2023, at 8:30am ET

John Giamatteo, President of BlackBerry’s Cybersecurity Business Unit, and Tim Foote, VP Investor Relations, will join Mike Walkley, Canaccord, for a fireside chat. Register here for the live video stream.
    07-27-23 10:17 AM
    Well they have a copule of upcoming Investor Events that you can stream as well

• JP Morgan Auto Conference – Wednesday, August 9, 2023, at 5:20pm ET

John Wall, SVP and Head of BlackBerry QNX, and Tim Foote, VP Investor Relations, will join Ryan Brinkman, JP Morgan, for a fireside chat. Register here for the live audio stream.

• Canaccord Genuity 43rd Annual Growth Conference – Thursday, August 10, 2023, at 8:30am ET

John Giamatteo, President of BlackBerry’s Cybersecurity Business Unit, and Tim Foote, VP Investor Relations, will join Mike Walkley, Canaccord, for a fireside chat. Register here for the live video stream.
    Thanks D3, should be interesting
    07-27-23 11:14 AM
    Thanks D3, should be interesting
    Well I nominate your to give us a report...

My guess is it will mostly be scripted to follow what was said last month.

07-27-23 11:54 AM
    Well I nominate your to give us a report...

My guess is it will mostly be scripted to follow what was said last month.

Now you'll be sorry.
    07-27-23 12:29 PM
    Sad to see this forum die, once #1 for Blackberry. I've always wondered how much maerketing or reality is in "Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just buying some RIM shares right now." of Superfly FR.
    Now it seems to be the end of Blackberry stock and I have to leave my Superfly inspired words
    "Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just selling some BB shares right now."
    08-26-23 07:06 AM
    Sad to see this forum die, once #1 for Blackberry. I've always wondered how much maerketing or reality is in "Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just buying some RIM shares right now." of Superfly FR.
    Now it seems to be the end of Blackberry stock and I have to leave my Superfly inspired words
    "Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just selling some BB shares right now."
    I think with Superfly it was just being a fan....

Way back then it was hard to imagine the one time king of smartphones.... who had billions in cash, wouldn't be able to transition to smartphones 2.0. I think many of us didn't realize it was already too late for BlackBerry, Nokia, Microsoft....

In the end BBRY is dead, there is nothing "consumerish" or worth being a fan of today's BlackBerry BB stock. And sadly there really isn't much of a company there anymore. But is still money to be made trading the stock... there is nothing "long" about it, but month to month there are some big swings if you can play it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-30-23 12:02 PM
    Some how I missed that there is talk of the private equity firm Veritas Capital making an offer to buy BlackBerry.... which is why the stock has been bullish the last few weeks. One article even stated there were other suitors interested in acquiring parts or all of BlackBerry - hard pump there. As no official word from anyone as of yet. At this point it's a move that makes sense for BlackBerry as that was pretty much what the whole announcement about looking into "Strategic Alternatives" was likly about.

Which could explain there being no talk of Chen's contract running out in Nov... they may not need a CEO in the near future.

There does seem to be some pressure to consolidate in the cyber security market as a whole, at this point. And BlackBerry is a small vendor only offering a few solutions. So with their shrinking revenues, that makes this depressed stock a target.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 09-06-23 at 10:57 AM.
    ddp_in likes this.
    09-06-23 09:24 AM
    And remember that if the company gets sold before Chen's contract expires in November and he gets removed from his current role then Chen gets to collect all of his performance bonuses automatically regardless of the share sale price which tallys up to 100M or so.
    09-06-23 12:14 PM
    Well BlackBerry has released a Preliminary 2Q Report or Warning....https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...r-2024-results
    ddp_in and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-07-23 07:53 AM
    While I've long thought that selling the company has been THE PLAN.... I've just never seen a path to doing it. While I'm sure someone like Veritas Capital might want the cyber assets and that portion of the business. What is that really worth to them - either as a product or as a boost to their "image? And how much could they sell off the "other" assets for?

Selling off the patents has cleared up the company's valuation a lot.... but you still have a lot of legacy shareholders that have a lot of money invested in BlackBerry. Just how much of a loss are they willing to accept? Vs just how bad are the business prospects shaping up for the next few years?

The one good part of this, might be that the name very well might not be a "wanted" asset. If Veritas Capital sold that off to someone... could be a chance we might see another BlackBerry phone. But as the phone business was ended years ago, it would be in name only. And the reality of PKB phone sale... might lead to just another poor attempt like that PALM phone that TCL did a few years ago.
    09-07-23 09:35 AM
    BlackBerry Launches ‘Intrinsically Safe’ Certified Solution for Hazardous Materials Carriers

BlackBerry Radar is an easy-to-install, asset monitoring solution, taking only minutes to set up, and provides near real-time information through an intuitive dashboard. All data is transmitted and stored securely on a cloud platform, which maintains the privacy of user information at all times.

Had not heard much about Radar in a while, Radar does keep them in the "device business"...

Anyone in Long Beach, should check out the "BlackBerry Booth" at the IANA Intermodal EXPO.....
    09-12-23 07:41 AM
    BlackBerry Launches ‘Intrinsically Safe’ Certified Solution for Hazardous Materials Carriers

BlackBerry Radar is an easy-to-install, asset monitoring solution, taking only minutes to set up, and provides near real-time information through an intuitive dashboard. All data is transmitted and stored securely on a cloud platform, which maintains the privacy of user information at all times.

Had not heard much about Radar in a while, Radar does keep them in the "device business"...

Anyone in Long Beach, should check out the "BlackBerry Booth" at the IANA Intermodal EXPO.....
    But does it have a PKB, VKB or slider form?
    09-12-23 02:56 PM
    But does it have a PKB, VKB or slider form?
    Lmao.
    09-13-23 05:51 PM
    Q2 FY24 Earnings Conference Call - Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 5:30 PM EDT

They did already release a Preliminary Report to try and soften the blow... so fiscally not expecting much news.

But Chen's contract is up this next quarter and then these rumors about THE Strategic Review they were have done, leading to an offer to buy the company... one would hope there would be some news about either of these.
    09-26-23 07:36 AM
    Well as expected the numbers were not all that great.

• Total company revenue was down to $132 million. (same quarter last year was $168M)
    • IoT revenue was $49 million.
    • Cybersecurity revenue was $79 million.
    • Licensing and Other revenue was $4 million.
    • GAAP operating loss was $47 million. (but everything's running at 50%+ profit margins, so go figure)
    • Total cash, cash equivalents, short-term and long-term investments decreased by $59 million to $519 million.

But Chen sounded upbeat about the future and that their overall stated year end numbers were still tracking.

Project Imperium (even the strategic review got a code name), " The board and its advisors are very actively engaged in the process and recognize that it is in everyone's interest that it will be completed as soon as possible. All stakeholders should rest assured that we will provide an update as soon as we possibly can" Chen gave it a 50/50 chance of being complete by the end of his contract in Nov. (they must already have a succession plan in place or know they'll extend for a few months to complete whatever they are working on)

Was a pretty big drop in their Selling, Marketing and Administration costs.... after pushing up those numbers in the last year to a high of $99M just last quarter, it's dropped down to $73M. This is a number that really should not see a drop, if your pushing to grow your business.

Really think that BlackBerry the company and stock.... are close to being no more.
    ddp_in likes this.
    09-29-23 08:26 AM
    Well as expected the numbers were not all that great.

• Total company revenue was down to $132 million. (same quarter last year was $168M)
    • IoT revenue was $49 million.
    • Cybersecurity revenue was $79 million.
    • Licensing and Other revenue was $4 million.
    • GAAP operating loss was $47 million. (but everything's running at 50%+ profit margins, so go figure)
    • Total cash, cash equivalents, short-term and long-term investments decreased by $59 million to $519 million.

But Chen sounded upbeat about the future and that their overall stated year end numbers were still tracking.

Project Imperium (even the strategic review got a code name), " The board and its advisors are very actively engaged in the process and recognize that it is in everyone's interest that it will be completed as soon as possible. All stakeholders should rest assured that we will provide an update as soon as we possibly can" Chen gave it a 50/50 chance of being complete by the end of his contract in Nov. (they must already have a succession plan in place or know they'll extend for a few months to complete whatever they are working on)

Was a pretty big drop in their Selling, Marketing and Administration costs.... after pushing up those numbers in the last year to a high of $99M just last quarter, it's dropped down to $73M. This is a number that really should not see a drop, if your pushing to grow your business.

Really think that BlackBerry the company and stock.... are close to being no more.
    Agreed - I think the end is nigh.
    09-29-23 12:33 PM
    You really found the Blackberry problem.
    10-02-23 11:31 PM
    You suggest that QNX operating as a separate entity may be more attractive to investors, potentially leading to a higher valuation. Additionally, given BlackBerry's current valuation, you believe there may be a reasonable risk-reward profile at its current price.

It is important to note that these are hypothetical scenarios and strategies that will depend on various factors, including market conditions, negotiations and the strategic objectives of BlackBerry management. Always remember to conduct thorough research and seek professional advice before making any investment decisions.
    10-03-23 05:08 PM