427 37.82%
    Opinion article:
    1 Fallen Tech Giant That Could Make a Comeback
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...4ed5ae574f81ac
    04-29-22 08:10 AM
    Opinion article:
    1 Fallen Tech Giant That Could Make a Comeback
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...4ed5ae574f81ac
    Full "story" in on The Motley Fool.... https://www.fool.ca/2022/04/28/1-fal...ke-a-comeback/

Anything is possible, they have lots of different pots in the fire... and cash to work with.

But I get tired of the "wins" that don't include any information or indicator of what they are worth.... BlackBerry did that for years with BES, then with Good and then with Cylance. But "wins" in Enterprise Software, didn't wind up meaning much of anything - last quarters losses in that sector are hard to ignore.

Chen and the gang seem optimistic about something... so I guess "that's" something.
    04-29-22 09:24 AM
    "For the full fiscal year 2022, BlackBerry reported US$12 million in net income as against US$1.1 billion in net loss."

This makes no sense to me. Maybe he's comparing 2022 to 2021?

I typed 2202 at first. The guiding hand?
    04-29-22 09:51 AM
    "For the full fiscal year 2022, BlackBerry reported US$12 million in net income as against US$1.1 billion in net loss."

This makes no sense to me. Maybe he's comparing 2022 to 2021?

I typed 2202 at first. The guiding hand?
    I didn't really read it... most these are Opinion pieces (as rarsen stated), are short of facts and long on speculation and typos....
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-29-22 10:47 AM
    All I saw was him repeating points that Chen had made, no analysis of his own. It's not even an opinion piece. So no independent reporting ie no outside support for the concept of BlackBerry becoming a trillion dollar company (I know that's moonshine, I just like saying it).
    Last edited by Paul Reichert; 04-29-22 at 11:45 AM.
    04-29-22 11:03 AM
    All I saw was him repeating points that Chen had made, no analysis of his own. It's not even an opinion piece. So no independent reporting ie no outside support for the concept of BlackBerry becoming a trillion dollar company (I know that's moonshine, I just like saying it).
    Sadly that's all we really have these days... is what Chen says.

None of the investment firms "really" cover BlackBerry at this point.... Oh they might have someone show up and ask some questions on an earning call, and write it up. But no one is really doing the channel checks or talking with industry insiders to see how BlackBerry's wide ranging products like BlackBerry Radar, Spark, AtHoc, QNX, Ivy.... are viewed by their sectors or if they are being implements, or just reviewed.

For cybersecurity we do get yearly Gartner's Magic Quadrant reports or Forrester Wave Reports (both had BlackBerry's UEM and Endpoint detection on decline from 2020 to 2021... have to see about 2022), and from time to time a review or writeup on products - so we do have some guidance on that front. But their Automotive and IoT... it's mostly an unknown factor at this point. And that's a big part of what they now are. Well that and the cash they have on hand still...
    05-03-22 09:48 AM
    Stretched opinion article from Motley Fool:

How to Play BlackBerry (TSX:BB) Stock From Here
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...eb6579acb288e2
    05-20-22 07:45 AM
    Stretched opinion article from Motley Fool:

How to Play BlackBerry (TSX:BB) Stock From Here
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...eb6579acb288e2
    This sums it up "remains to be seen."

In the end, I don't see much of a case for future growth for BlackBerry - they are too small. Only real hope is finding a buyer or buyers that will pay whatever Fairfax is willing to sell for to cover their "investment" into BlackBerry. That is the real obstacle at this point, what is Fairfax and the other major investors.... "get out" number at this point?
    05-23-22 08:58 AM
    Well this won't be good.... https://forums.crackberry.com/genera...-snag-1194767/

WATERLOO, ONTARIO – June 1, 2022 – BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) today provided an update on the sale of substantially all of its non-core patent assets to Catapult IP Innovations for total consideration of $600 million (the “Patent Sale Transaction”). In the fourth quarter of fiscal 2022, BlackBerry announced that it had entered into a patent sale agreement with Catapult for the Patent Sale Transaction and that completion of the transaction is subject to the satisfaction of financing and other closing conditions. BlackBerry also previously announced that closing of the Patent Sale Transaction was expected by the end of the first quarter of fiscal 2023.
    Catapult continues to work on securing its required financing and BlackBerry looks forward to the completion of the Patent Sale Transaction. However, BlackBerry is no longer under exclusivity with Catapult and, given the length of time that the transaction has taken, BlackBerry is exploring alternative options in parallel.

Not what Chen wants with a shareholder meeting coming at the end of the month.

Have to hope they have been approached already by another interested party with cash in hand. As some of the more important (current revenue generators) patents are expiring in 2023/2024.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 06-02-22 at 07:40 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-01-22 11:32 AM
    Hey guys !
    just a fast drop-in to say heloooooowww to the usual suspects that seems to still haunt the place
    Hope all is fine for y'all, all the best to the "RIMpire strikes back" team
    Supa / Antoine say "mhooooooooo"
    06-02-22 02:02 PM
    Well this won't be good.... https://forums.crackberry.com/genera...-snag-1194767/

Not what Chen wants with a shareholder meeting coming at the end of the month.

Have to hope they have been approached already by another interested party with cash in hand. As some of the more important (current revenue generators) patents are expiring in 2023/2024.
    I am sure this is not what Chen wants. My guess was the patent sale was going to be his swansong. I can't imagine that he wants a new contract.
    06-02-22 03:56 PM
    I am sure this is not what Chen wants. My guess was the patent sale was going to be his swansong. I can't imagine that he wants a new contract.
    Ego is a funny thing....everyone wants to be a hero, but Chen white suite is getting a little dirty. I'm not sure by the end of the year he will still hold his "turn around" title. I really think, that he thinks he can fix it....

But in the end I think that Fairfax and the other major investors... have a plan for BlackBerry. Maybe they need Chen to finish it, maybe they don't. I find it hard to believe they have stayed invested without some plan....
    06-09-22 08:33 AM
    BlackBerry Annual Meeting of Shareholders 2022 - Virtual - June 22, 2022, 1pm ET
    The live audio webcast can be accessed on June 22, 2022 at 1pm ET. No password is required to join.

WATERLOO, ONTARIO – June 9, 2022 – BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) will report results for the first quarter of fiscal year 2023 at 5:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, June 23, 2022. The conference call can be accessed by dialing +1 (877) 400-4403 or live streamed on the Company’s website at BlackBerry.com/Investors.
    Redzinaldas likes this.
    06-13-22 08:22 AM
    06-17-22 02:43 AM
    In case the paywall is an issue for some...

"The two leading proxy advisors, Institutional Shareholder Services Inc. and Glass Lewis & Co., have recommended a “no” vote on the company’s non-binding “from-on-pay” resolution, which will be voted on annually next week. meeting."

Basically some are not happy about the pay-for-performance benefits that got paid out last year during the whole bizarre meme-stock phenomenon where the stock hit $28.77.... and think there needs to be some changes made.

Personally I see that as a symptom of a problem... chasing treating the one symptom doesn't really address the real issue. The just aren't doing very well as a business.

Patent sale in falling apart.
    Automotive production and now sales are a huge issue.
    Seems Enterprise, doesn't need their enterprise software.
    General downward looking economy doesn't favor a small company that is already struggling.
    Laura Knotek and elfabio80 like this.
    06-17-22 07:15 AM
    This will probably not be an ER that will give any warm and fuzzies.
    06-19-22 06:46 PM
    This will probably not be an ER that will give any warm and fuzzies.
    No but's it's always interesting to see how Chen handles things...
    06-20-22 06:55 AM
    BlackBerry Annual Meeting of Shareholders 2022 - Virtual - June 22, 2022, 1pm ET
    The live audio webcast can be accessed on June 22, 2022 at 1pm ET. No password is required to join.

WATERLOO, ONTARIO – June 9, 2022 – BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) will report results for the first quarter of fiscal year 2023 at 5:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, June 23, 2022. The conference call can be accessed by dialing +1 (877) 400-4403 or live streamed on the Company’s website at BlackBerry.com/Investors.
    Just a reminder....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-22-22 07:59 AM
    Shareholder meeting doesn't sound like there is much confidence in the leadership.... really just Watsa that was lacking support.

BlackBerry did announce big wins for QNX... and that the "backlog" is still piling up. Only time they really mention $$, the backlog has increased from $490 million last year to $560 million for first quarter of Fiscal Year 2023. They seem very proud of this backlog that is building up....
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 06-23-22 at 01:23 PM.
    06-23-22 07:17 AM
    Not much in the earnings or the call afterward either....

They did beat some estimates, some revenues did go up... but so did operational expenses. In general they are a smaller company for fiscal 2023 than they were a year ago.
    06-24-22 07:45 AM
    They're in chrysalis mode. I watched parts, none of them really financial (That perhaps was Thursdays show which I missed). All I saw was projections plus John Chen's q&a's. Didn't know what to surmise of that except he seemed genuinely confident and didn't have the air of being under the gun. Funny, for a business that shrunk by $100 million or something, as you noted. He said one interesting thing: he referred to their lab and said 'it's not a big lab but we've got some good people there'. Something like that. So BB has a baby Skunk Works?
    06-24-22 10:19 AM
    They're in chrysalis mode. I watched parts, none of them really financial (That perhaps was Thursdays show which I missed). All I saw was projections plus John Chen's q&a's. Didn't know what to surmise of that except he seemed genuinely confident and didn't have the air of being under the gun. Funny, for a business that shrunk by $100 million or something, as you noted. He said one interesting thing: he referred to their lab and said 'it's not a big lab but we've got some good people there'. Something like that. So BB has a baby Skunk Works?
    I saw that Chen has a new five year plan for BlackBerry... BlackBerry expects to achieve revenues of $1.213 billion by fiscal 2027 at a five-year CAGR of 13%. So yeah projections and optimism...Do wonder if Chen expecting to be around when 2027 get's here....
    Paul Reichert likes this.
    06-27-22 03:21 PM
    I’ll be damned. Did not see this one coming. Nice nice.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volks...120000978.html
    dusdal likes this.
    07-06-22 09:25 AM
    I’ll be damned. Did not see this one coming. Nice nice.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volks...120000978.html
    "as one component of its software platform"

The reality is I think most every automaker has to be able to interface with QNX code on some level, which is why they have "45 OEMs, 7/7 of the top Tier 1s and over 215 million vehicles worldwide."

What it doesn't tell us is what this means for "new" licensing and revenue growth.

Volkswagen back in 2020 announced their Car.Software divison... Launched with a $8 Billion budget and at that time had around 3000 software "experts" - with plans to hit 5000 by 2025. I think QNX might have 500 software developers....

But VW.OS was to be Linux based and they were planning to depend on Android Infotainment OS as the UI.... my guess is any QNX licensing that is needed, is for integration of subsystems that are still built around QNX. They gave an example back in 2020 of the Arteon... had 70 control units operating with software from 200 different suppliers. They are slowly working toward being more Tesla like.... Tesla parts are Tesla parts and Tesla software is Tesla software. VW hoped that by 2025 at least 65% of the software on their cars would be their software. Till they reach 100% (their goal) they'll have to pay minimum licensing fees.

I know BlackBerry is still racking up a Backlog on licensing fees.... but Auto Sales the last few months have stumbled (unless your selling Trucks or EVs), and it's not just chip shortages that are the main factor anymore. Nor is anyone thinking it's a short term issue. Jan - June, overall sales are down almost 18% from last year... and last year wasn't any record breaker. BlackBerry will get their backlog of licensing, but what will that look like on the back end of all of this?
    07-06-22 10:15 AM
    General interest information:

Who Is Collecting Data from Your Car?
    https://themarkup.org/the-breakdown/...=pocket-newtab
    08-04-22 06:31 PM
113,250 ... 45234524452545264527 ...