View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Well, Samsara is very different from Radar. Samsara is a platform that powers a whole set of solutions such as Radar. It's a *much* bigger idea. Radar could be Samsara's customer.

Radar didn't add anything important to the market. It got traction with some Canadian companies, because Canadian, but that was about it. It never went from there.

And that is the root of the issue, IMO. BB today is a collection of very small ideas, and basically a portfolio of small businesses. Where are the bigger ideas?

The culture problem, as far as I can tell, is what it has always been. They think small ideas are big ones (see Cylance vs Crowdstrike as yet another example of that). As for the new folks not working out, I think the company doesn't invest in bigger things as much as it should. But it's hard to support or pursue larger investments internally if there isn't a vision for the next big thing that BB will be.

Cylance was a poor attempt to latch onto someone else's vision, but that vision (if it existed at all) walked out the door right after the transaction. (My hypothesis: there isn't anyone at BB with a loud voice who understands technology deeply enough to even understand what they bought at Cylance or at QNX or with TaT or any of these things. They just don't understand the details of tech very well at all, it seems)

What Chen needs is what he discovered (or perhaps luckily stumbled into?) with embedded SQL. Right place, right time, huge market. That's what saved Sybase. Where is his next big thing like that? (Was he even at all responsible for the last big idea he "had"?)
    Sometimes I feel that Chen is a great manager of people, unfortunately, regarding technology, he needs a Web 3.0 visionary that understands how BlackBerry can take advantage of Web 3.0 problems and provide a BlackBerry solution with enough cash flow and growth before Apple, Google, Microsoft and other Tier-1 resource companies jump in and outspend BlackBerry and it’s limited resources.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-23-21 01:24 PM
    Sometimes I feel that Chen is a great manager of people, unfortunately, regarding technology, he needs a Web 3.0 visionary that understands how BlackBerry can take advantage of Web 3.0 problems and provide a BlackBerry solution with enough cash flow and growth before Apple, Google, Microsoft and other Tier-1 resource companies jump in and outspend BlackBerry and it’s limited resources.
    Agreed. While BB doesn't have Google money and never will, it does have way more than Samsara did or most other startups.

So.... with a bunch of cash and investors are who, as we can see, incredibly patient and still holding up a multi-B valuation, it makes sense that BB can and should take some big next level bets.

BUT, they need to know technology and have a technology vision that goes much deeper than "AI good. We have AI."
    12-23-21 01:31 PM
    Agreed. While BB doesn't have Google money and never will, it does have way more than Samsara did or most other startups.

So.... with a bunch of cash and investors are who, as we can see, incredibly patient and still holding up a multi-B valuation, it makes sense that BB can and should take some big next level bets.

BUT, they need to know technology and have a technology vision that goes much deeper than "AI good. We have AI."
    Chen's always been good at streamlining operational cost and increasing profits. Problem is it's hard to grow under those conditions. These other startups have had the advantage of no corporate overloads refusing to open up the purse strings. With Cylance I was always surprised the R&D didn't quadruple...
    techvisor likes this.
    12-27-21 09:39 AM
    Chen's always been good at streamlining operational cost and increasing profits. Problem is it's hard to grow under those conditions. These other startups have had the advantage of no corporate overloads refusing to open up the purse strings. With Cylance I was always surprised the R&D didn't quadruple...
    I would love to have been a fly on the wall of that negotiation. The bankers were probably so excited! All cash deal with apparently very light (if any) earn-outs. Maybe even very little tech diligence. That must have been quite a party in Bali after that.

it was a fantastic deal for the early investors and employees of Cylance. Good for them. I still doubt Chen knew what he had just bought, let alone had any real plan to leverage it. It needed much more than just throwing an enterprise sales team on top.
    techvisor and rarsen like this.
    12-27-21 11:42 AM
    Am curious at identifying alternate uses for those BB models (not using Android) which will stop being used as regular phones. Possibly a way to keep beloved BB models for some more time :

Turn your old smartphone into a new security camera in 3 easy steps
    https://www.cnet.com/home/security/t...ndroid-iphone/
    Corbu likes this.
    01-02-22 05:27 PM
    PR / CES:
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301453497.html
    BlackBerry and PATEO Announce Strategic Collaboration to Deliver Integrated Digital Cockpit Solution Featuring BlackBerry IVY for the Chinese Market

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301453478.html
    BlackBerry Showcases BlackBerry IVY on Auto-Grade Hardware at CES 2022 with Partner Integrations from Amazon Web Services, HERE Technologies, Car IQ and Electra Vehicles

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301453492.html
    BlackBerry Helps U.S. Government Vendors Comply with New Software Bill of Materials Mandate

01-05-22 07:51 AM
    BlackBerry Helps U.S. Government Vendors Comply with New Software Bill of Materials Mandate
    Oh, that one is a good idea! They can also integrate Cylance as an additional compliance check, I think.
    rampagingpanda and rarsen like this.
    01-05-22 12:34 PM
    01-05-22 01:06 PM
    BlackBerry CEO John Chen at JP Morgan's 20th Annual Tech/Auto Forum at 2022 CES - January 5th, 2022

rarsen and rampagingpanda like this.
    01-06-22 07:25 AM
    Jan. 06, 2022 - 5:54 - BlackBerry chairman and CEO John Chen discusses partnering with automakers in the EV race on 'The Claman Countdown.'

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6290...#sp=show-clips
    01-06-22 09:18 PM
    "Contrary to popular belief, we are not dead"
    - OnwardMobility

https://www.onwardmobility.com/blog/...opular-belief/
    01-06-22 11:44 PM
    "Contrary to popular belief, we are not dead"
    - OnwardMobility

https://www.onwardmobility.com/blog/...opular-belief/
    I was surprised to hear what JC had to say about this subject at the end of the Fox interview and here you go...

Thanks dusdal. All the best for 2022!
    rarsen, Redzinaldas and dusdal like this.
    01-07-22 07:31 AM
    I gotta say I was a little disappointed with the announcement that we may be looking at the earliest a 2024, more like 2025 model year for the auto side to use BlackBerry Ivy. I was really hoping for some material revenue growth later this year

Posted via CB10
    rampagingpanda likes this.
    01-07-22 01:35 PM
    Mattias does a good job here trying to describe what IVY is and try to do a virtual visit to the CES booth

01-09-22 09:20 PM
    dusdal and rampagingpanda like this.
    01-12-22 07:48 AM
    I get some meme investor overlay that keep popping up "this stock it heading to the moon."

Bottom line is there has to be a transition from Virtual Growth to Real Growth. Those number they give out each quarter have to reflect something... real.

What those number do reflect, is the last big thing... SPARK is a flop. Revenue plunged in the NA market due to declines associated with Spark and UEM. That they have another "hey this should be the next big thing" (in maybe two or three plus years), is great... IF anyone is interested in using it in a way that brings in revenues. But all they talk about is what the overall market might be worth... not what they really see based on current interest or any early commitments.
    01-14-22 09:52 AM
    the thing that makes me consider selling the little stock I have left is the somewhat heavy insider selling. I am sure some are going to say that "we had to sell to be able to pay taxes on exercising our options", but the fact that not a single insider has bought anything in the market since <2020 speaks volumes.

edit: Happy New Year to one and all! (sorry for my bad manners)
    Corbu, rarsen and rampagingpanda like this.
    01-14-22 12:49 PM
    the thing that makes me consider selling the little stock I have left is the somewhat heavy insider selling. I am sure some are going to say that "we had to sell to be able to pay taxes on exercising our options", but the fact that not a single insider has bought anything in the market since <2020 speaks volumes.

edit: Happy New Year to one and all! (sorry for my bad manners)
    Yeah Chen's last "sell" went far beyond covering taxes for his big performance based bonus for going over $20. Bet he has an eye on a nice retirement place....
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-14-22 01:11 PM
    https://cnevpost.com/2022/01/18/nio-...ving-platform/
    NIO-backed Black Sesame partners with BlackBerry QNX to build self-driving platform
    rampagingpanda and rarsen like this.
    01-18-22 07:37 AM
    https://cnevpost.com/2022/01/18/nio-...ving-platform/
    NIO-backed Black Sesame partners with BlackBerry QNX to build self-driving platform
    They are a rather young company - started in 2016, but they have made a name for themselves in China. I read something about them a few months ago when Xiaomi was making a move into the smart electric vehicle business. Theirs's was one of the first chips made in China at that pass ISO safety standards. I think the Xiaomi investment was close to $2 billion... to began with.
    rampagingpanda likes this.
    01-18-22 09:28 AM
    Once in awhile I logon here hoping to see Corbu as the latest post "BlackBerry sells patent package to consortium for 2.7 billion dollars"
    01-18-22 07:47 PM
    Once in awhile I logon here hoping to see Corbu as the latest post "BlackBerry sells patent package to consortium for 2.7 billion dollars"
    That would be great!
    01-19-22 07:58 AM
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301464551.html

Black Sesame Technologies and BlackBerry QNX Team Up to Create Safe, Reliable Autonomous Driving Solution for Chinese Automakers
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    01-20-22 06:44 AM
    01-20-22 07:55 AM
    I really hope that with all the increased chatter about protecting and securing vital corporate and government infrastructure that BlackBerry is pushing HARD to drive some sales. It's a concerning time out there for governments and companies.

Hopefully they are able to deliver the message and have the tools and the people in 2022 to drive some material revenue growth.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    01-21-22 03:23 AM
113,256 ... 45184519452045214522 ...