View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    What I mean about the backlog is how much will it affect future sales? After five years, will the numbers have equalize... or will there be a clear drop in sales in 2020 and 2021 that never "really" gets recovered?
    Yeah, good question. It depends on how long the crisis continues. Lots of variables there....

Chen's mindset is as a savior... cutting cost and reorganization. He isn't the guy to grow a business and that's the issue. When they bought Cylance it should have triggered some major spending.... somehow they managed to keep the books balanced. How? By not doing what needed to be done.... spend money! Their R&D is pretty insignificant for a company their size and in several market. And the idea that after all the years of cost cutting and consolidation that "Sales, marketing and administration" could still be cut by 20%.... What is this the 3rd year Chen's tired to say it the fault of the sales teams, and not the products?
    Yeah, that's fair. Breaking even, in and off itself, it not a very interesting goal. A company that consistently breaks even, without either really growing or working a path to real profits, is a totally useless company.

But they did spend a ton of cash on Cylance. The purpose of that was to grow. So there was some effort there. I think they overpaid (and I said that here hundreds of pages ago). Be that as it may, they at least made the move.

I don't know. It's been a long series of "the next big thing is going to be...." with none of them ever really becoming a big thing. Ivy is the next in a long line of things that probably won't drive the kind of revenue growth that matters when the cap is north of $6B. They still need that big next thing on a multi-billion dollar scale, not yet another small business.

And to your point, Chen still hasn't delivered that in however many years. He deserves credit for saving the patient, but the patient just isn't thriving.

But it's a meme stock now and trades based on that social media celebrity status as much as anything else, so still a fun stock to play around with.
    06-25-21 02:48 PM
    Not much in the transcript...
    I believe JC was asked about this in this interview yesterday. https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/bl...swings~2229735
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    06-26-21 04:03 AM
    But it's a meme stock now and trades based on that social media celebrity status as much as anything else, so still a fun stock to play around with.
    If nothing else it gave a few LONGS a chance to get out ahead.....

But beyond that it's hard to predict the mileage these meme players can get out of BB.
    06-28-21 07:09 AM
    REAL or REDDit

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/06/2...ys-expert.html

Abhay Deshpande of Centerstone Investors.
    Redzinaldas likes this.
    06-29-21 08:13 AM
    REAL or REDDit

Explains why Prem has stuck with the BlackBerry Limited play, it’s a $6 billion (penny stock) long shot….
    06-29-21 08:46 AM
    REAL or REDDit

https://www.reddit.com/r/BB_Stock/co...s_such_a_bear/

For those interested in reading the comments from the reddit crowd.
    jsocan likes this.
    06-29-21 12:33 PM
    Lol mate just stick with Tampa teams and not financial companies. Feel sorry for you and your teams this coming year.

06-29-21 01:49 PM
    Hockey team in Florida.... wonder how many Water Polo teams there are in Canada?
    06-29-21 02:15 PM
    Hockey team in Florida.... wonder how many Water Polo teams there are in Canada?
    LMAO
    06-29-21 02:34 PM
    fwiw, my $11 calls were just takes from me and I think it's the first time since 2005 I havent owned any blackberry stock 😳. I'm not really sure how I feel right now. 🙂
    07-03-21 08:37 AM
    Another general overview article:

BlackBerry Stock (TSX:BB) Is a Buy at $10: Here’s Why
    https://www.fool.ca/2021/07/04/black...ts401cs0010001
    The cybersecurity industry is expected to grow by at least 40% in the next two years. Furthermore, the automotive software industry is expected to grow by well over 200% in the next four to five years.
    07-06-21 01:05 PM
    Another general overview article:

BlackBerry Stock (TSX:BB) Is a Buy at $10: Here’s Why
    https://www.fool.ca/2021/07/04/black...ts401cs0010001
    The cybersecurity industry is expected to grow by at least 40% in the next two years. Furthermore, the automotive software industry is expected to grow by well over 200% in the next four to five years.
    If stock settles back as the meme craze fades.... not sure why $10 would be a buy. When the stock was sitting at $6 before all of this.

As for sector growth rates.... BlackBerry has a shot, but I wouldn't say they are well-positioned at all. Sadly we are starting to learn how poorly they are positioned.
    07-06-21 01:16 PM
    If stock settles back as the meme craze fades.... not sure why $10 would be a buy. When the stock was sitting at $6 before all of this.

As for sector growth rates.... BlackBerry has a shot, but I wouldn't say they are well-positioned at all. Sadly we are starting to learn how poorly they are positioned.
    "The cybersecurity industry is expected to grow by at least 40% in the next two years. Furthermore, the automotive software industry is expected to grow by well over 200% in the next four to five years."

That argument doesn't hold a lot of water IMO. Simple, obvious question:

How much as the cybersecurity industry grown over the *past* two years? And how much has BB grown over that same period?

Same with automotive.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 07-06-21 at 03:23 PM.
    07-06-21 01:23 PM
    "The cybersecurity industry is expected to grow by at least 40% in the next two years. Furthermore, the automotive software industry is expected to grow by well over 200% in the next four to five years."

That argument doesn't hold a lot of water IMO. Simple, obvious question:

How much as the cybersecurity industry grown over the *past* two years? And how much as BB grown over that same period?

Same with automotive.
    Yeah not much different from back when smartphone business was growing at 200%.... only helps if you can get a piece of it.
    07-06-21 01:41 PM
    I now realize others live in a country of Habs and I live in a country of Habs nots….
    dusdal likes this.
    07-07-21 09:57 PM
    So any guess on if the Stock Apes are just letting BB settle into orbit before they head on to the moon....

They just waiting for enough short sell pressure to build?
    07-13-21 07:47 AM
    General interest article, still curious as to why we rarely hear of BB comment on these:

Pegasus spyware scandal: Can Silicon Valley stop government snooping?
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...ment-snooping/
    NSO Group, based in Israel, is thought to sell the spyware to multiple countries. WhatsApp and Facebook, its parent company, first filed a lawsuit in California in 2019 alleging that NSO had hacked into its servers to infect 1400 phones belonging to WhatsApp users, arguing that it was a violation of the US Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA). NSO said that it should have “sovereign immunity” because it sells to non-US governments, an argument that was dismissed in December 2020 and that the firm is appealing.
    WhatsApp now wants a permanent injunction stopping NSO from attempting to gain access to its systems. The success of the case rests on whether NSO is considered to be hacking into systems or if that is being done by the users of its software. Taking legal action against governments would be a far more difficult proposition. Microsoft, Cisco, GitHub, Google, LinkedIn, VMWare and the Internet Association have now all joined the court case.
    Pegasus can use SMS, WhatsApp and iMessage to infect a phone and harvest messages, emails, contacts, GPS data, calendars, photos and videos stored on a phone. It can also activate the microphone and camera to surreptitiously record the owner’s surroundings.
    Corbu and WiseEyes like this.
    07-20-21 09:03 AM
    General interest article, still curious as to why we rarely hear of BB comment on these:

Pegasus spyware scandal: Can Silicon Valley stop government snooping?
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...ment-snooping/
    NSO Group, based in Israel, is thought to sell the spyware to multiple countries. WhatsApp and Facebook, its parent company, first filed a lawsuit in California in 2019 alleging that NSO had hacked into its servers to infect 1400 phones belonging to WhatsApp users, arguing that it was a violation of the US Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA). NSO said that it should have “sovereign immunity” because it sells to non-US governments, an argument that was dismissed in December 2020 and that the firm is appealing.
    WhatsApp now wants a permanent injunction stopping NSO from attempting to gain access to its systems. The success of the case rests on whether NSO is considered to be hacking into systems or if that is being done by the users of its software. Taking legal action against governments would be a far more difficult proposition. Microsoft, Cisco, GitHub, Google, LinkedIn, VMWare and the Internet Association have now all joined the court case.
    Pegasus can use SMS, WhatsApp and iMessage to infect a phone and harvest messages, emails, contacts, GPS data, calendars, photos and videos stored on a phone. It can also activate the microphone and camera to surreptitiously record the owner’s surroundings.
    What would BlackBerry have to do with any of this?

Unlike VMWare, Spark only secures devices.
    07-20-21 09:09 AM
    What would BlackBerry have to do with any of this?

Unlike VMWare, Spark only secures devices.
    Yeah it's what some don't get... cybersecurity is like a 1000 piece puzzle, that BlackBerry only has about 15 pieces.

I'm not sure anyone has all 1000 pieces covered, but there are a number of bigger companies that do have a wider range of products.... that when bundled are much cheaper that what BlackBerry offers.

Or they have been in place, and part of a companies infrastructure.... Like BlackBerry's Work from Home offering they release last year... right on time it seemed to many here. Problem is most companies had products already in place for remote users, they just had to scale them. They didn't need to test something new and unproven, try to figure out deployment cost for short and long term usage or to train people. In truth BlackBerry needed to released that five years ago, and bundle it with other solutions.
    07-20-21 09:40 AM
    President and COO, BlackBerry Thomas Eacobacci Sold $1.1 million worth of Shares on 7/23. That's about 40% of his holdings in BlackBerry.
    rampagingpanda likes this.
    07-30-21 08:20 AM
    PR:
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301352836.html

BlackBerry IVY to Provide Secure Vehicle-Based Payments
    BlackBerry will Unlock the Large Market for Vehicle-Based Payments and E-Commerce
    08-11-21 07:14 AM
    PR:

BlackBerry will Unlock the Large Market for Vehicle-Based Payments and E-Commerce
    This is the company they have partnered with (there are two companies that do in-vehicle systems with similar names) https://www.gocariq.com/

Focus is on fleets and fleet operators. Very interesting business. As usual, would like to understand what the business relationship now is between Car IQ and BB.

Also of note is that they are branding some part of the service they are providing to Car IQ as IVY. I wonder what parts of it are live then.
    Corbu and rampagingpanda like this.
    08-11-21 08:23 AM
    This is the company they have partnered with (there are two companies that do in-vehicle systems with similar names) https://www.gocariq.com/

Focus is on fleets and fleet operators. Very interesting business. As usual, would like to understand what the business relationship now is between Car IQ and BB.

Also of note is that they are branding some part of the service they are providing to Car IQ as IVY. I wonder what parts of it are live then.
    Sad thing is you click the projected number by 2030... crazy number of $620 billion in eight year, from some EU consulting group that offer no data. And it points out that the major 17 OEM are already working on getting part of this....

What chance does some a little startup company like Car IQ have.... After five years, they still haven't hit $1 Million in revenue, where their competitors (flywire, payscout, paysimple... ) are in the tens of million already. And that doesn't factor in existing Fleet Management System that already include many of these solutions to one degree or another.... and already doing onboard telemetry. In some ways the future is already here, how these companies get their data might change..

Don't get me wrong I see a need for this.... as I have an RFID sticker on my car for Florida's SunPass System (think it will work in 18 states) and RFID sticker for a local Parking garage (they aren't even connected to the major apps on the market today - that I used when traveling) and an RFID sticker for a local Carwash (they have two locations, if that matters). One built-in transponder to rule them all... sounds good, to be able to travel to other markets and use those service anywhere... would be GREAT!
    08-11-21 09:43 AM
    Sad thing is you click the projected number by 2030... crazy number of $620 billion in eight year, from some EU consulting group that offer no data. And it points out that the major 17 OEM are already working on getting part of this....

What chance does some a little startup company like Car IQ have.... After five years, they still haven't hit $1 Million in revenue, where their competitors (flywire, payscout, paysimple... ) are in the tens of million already. And that doesn't factor in existing Fleet Management System that already include many of these solutions to one degree or another.... and already doing onboard telemetry. In some ways the future is already here, how these companies get their data might change..

Don't get me wrong I see a need for this.... as I have an RFID sticker on my car for Florida's SunPass System (think it will work in 18 states) and RFID sticker for a local Parking garage (they aren't even connected to the major apps on the market today - that I used when traveling) and an RFID sticker for a local Carwash (they have two locations, if that matters). One built-in transponder to rule them all... sounds good, to be able to travel to other markets and use those service anywhere... would be GREAT!
    So, yes, where I work, the in-car payment team was started in 2013 and it is giant compared to Car IQ. So large manufacturers are not the target here.

BUT, there is another interesting target which they are going after, which is fleet operators and service/platform providers. So think of everything from UPS to Amazon to Uber to nextgen taxis, etc. The car manufacturers don't necessarily have a good answer for those.

So I like the business (Car IQ I mean). I have no idea what BB's role will be. I'm sure on this thread someone will now immediately credit BB with $620B in new revenue, but the reality is that Car IQ is still tiny, but on a good track IMO. As Car IQ grows, BB will benefit. How much? Who knows?? I don't know what the business arrangement is at all.

Also, Car IQ does have other startup competitors. This is not a novel idea.
    08-11-21 01:28 PM
    PR:

More on this:
    https://www.therecord.com/business/t...p-the-tab.html
    08-11-21 02:32 PM
113,256 ... 45124513451445154516 ...