Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    PR:
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301278502.html

BlackBerry Strengthens Management Team and Aligns Business Units to Increase Focus on Growth in Key Cybersecurity and IoT Market Opportunities

Tom Eacobacci Promoted to President and Chief Operating Officer; Mattias Eriksson Appointed President of BlackBerry IoT Business Unit
    Gotta admit seeing this press release headline I was scared John Chen was going to lose yet another President/COO. Good to see Tom Eacobacci getting more established -- perhaps implying he is hitting his numbers?

Surprised they didn't promote from within for BTS/IoT. But Mattias Eriksson's experience at HERE with its closely held ownership by auto OEMs probably theoretically brings along a good amount of valuable relationships to accelerate QNX and IVY growth.
    Last edited by Rice Dawg; 04-28-21 at 11:04 AM.
    Corbu, rarsen, Redzinaldas and 1 others like this.
    04-28-21 10:51 AM

Gotta admit seeing this press release headline I was scared John Chen was going to lose yet another President/COO. Good to see Tom Eacobacci getting more established -- perhaps implying he is hitting his numbers?

Surprised they didn't promote from within for BTS/IoT. But Mattias Eriksson's experience at HERE with its closely held ownership by auto OEMs probably theoretically brings along a good amount of valuable relationships to accelerate QNX and IVY growth.
    Yes, Here is a big deal and he is well known in the industry. That’s a really good pick up for BB. I’ll be interested to see how he shapes this.
    Rice Dawg, Corbu, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    04-28-21 02:53 PM
    I’ll go on the record and say it won’t be $1.5B. I think it will be quite a bit less than that.

Reasonable people will disagree. We can come back to this page in the thread when the sale happens.
    You are correct. I am in the Tech Industry. No one pays a lot for patents in 2021. If and I think it is a big IF BlackBerry finds a buyer for their portfolio the final purchase price will be much less than anyone here expects.

Plus, I am sticking with my statement about the FB and BlackBerry settlement. If the settlement was material BlackBerry would have disclosed it in their earnings. I still say the settlement was for little. If FB payed anything, which I doubt, the amount did not even cover BBL legal fees.
    04-28-21 07:27 PM
    You are correct. I am in the Tech Industry. No one pays a lot for patents in 2021. If and I think it is a big IF BlackBerry finds a buyer for their portfolio the final purchase price will be much less than anyone here expects.

Plus, I am sticking with my statement about the FB and BlackBerry settlement. If the settlement was material BlackBerry would have disclosed it in their earnings. I still say the settlement was for little. If FB payed anything, which I doubt, the amount did not even cover BBL legal fees.
    Software ARR is all that matters for the value of BB. Everything else is a sideshow. At least the IP sideshow will come to an end if they get this stuff sold and everyone can get back to the actual point of running, or investing in, an enterprise software company.
    04-28-21 10:04 PM
    In case anyone is interested, the analyst summit was on 04-28-2021, and the presentation is now on BB's website, https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/pdf...sentations.pdf
    howarmat, rarsen, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    04-30-21 01:05 PM
    Software ARR is all that matters for the value of BB. Everything else is a sideshow. At least the IP sideshow will come to an end if they get this stuff sold and everyone can get back to the actual point of running, or investing in, an enterprise software company.
    I suspect it will be time (next year) to adjust their reporting to reflect this "new" business unit alignment and more streamlined BlackBerry. BlackBerry phase four....
    05-05-21 10:36 AM
    Where’s BB going to form a base floor?
    05-05-21 11:49 AM
    Where’s BB going to form a base floor?
    Has to be getting scary if even you have to wonder. How bad is it?
    05-05-21 12:13 PM
    Has to be getting scary if even you have to wonder. How bad is it?
    I’m not a fan of “technical” strategy but I do believe in the basics of the overbought and oversold common sense aspects. My question was an observation that BB is trending down to it’s more historical range which is concerning because if tide is rising, connected to anchor means you’re essentially sinking.
    05-05-21 02:50 PM
    General industry information and wondering if and how BB Clients could be affected:

The global chip shortage is a much bigger problem than everyone realised. And it will go on for longer, too.
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-gl...&cid=716503125

"Where the crisis is most apparent, however, is in the automotive industry. In the past months, semiconductor producers have preferred selling their silicon to higher-paying smartphone manufacturers to the detriment of car makers, leading to a crisis in the supply chain for vehicles.
    Earlier this year, General Motors temporarily shut down all three of its North American plants as a result of shortages, while Ford warned investors that production slowdowns might affect its bottom line. In the UK, BMW suspended production at the company's Mini plant in Oxford citing once more a shortage of computer chips."
    05-05-21 03:02 PM
    General industry information and wondering if and how BB Clients could be affected:

The global chip shortage is a much bigger problem than everyone realised. And it will go on for longer, too.
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-gl...&cid=716503125

"Where the crisis is most apparent, however, is in the automotive industry. In the past months, semiconductor producers have preferred selling their silicon to higher-paying smartphone manufacturers to the detriment of car makers, leading to a crisis in the supply chain for vehicles.
    Earlier this year, General Motors temporarily shut down all three of its North American plants as a result of shortages, while Ford warned investors that production slowdowns might affect its bottom line. In the UK, BMW suspended production at the company's Mini plant in Oxford citing once more a shortage of computer chips."
    Crazy thing is it's not the powerful chips they are short on in most cases... but very basic chips that only cost a few dollars. Yet they are costing billions in losses. Some OEMs are just dropping the feature that they can't get the parts for... might be the tire pressure monitor system, or the 18-Way adjustable seats, or reverting to an analog speedometer... Your 2021 $80K cars might come with handles to roll up the windows...

In the end, fewer car sales will impact QNX sales... but no one knows yet if it's really going to be as bad as last year.
    05-05-21 03:44 PM
    Crazy thing is it's not the powerful chips they are short on in most cases... but very basic chips that only cost a few dollars. Yet they are costing billions in losses. Some OEMs are just dropping the feature that they can't get the parts for... might be the tire pressure monitor system, or the 18-Way adjustable seats, or reverting to an analog speedometer... Your 2021 $80K cars might come with handles to roll up the windows...

In the end, fewer car sales will impact QNX sales... but no one knows yet if it's really going to be as bad as last year.
    Overall shipments will be down, though. Significantly.
    05-05-21 04:18 PM
    Overall shipments will be down, though. Significantly.
    Down from last year or from where they were projecting this years sales?

Thing is if they have to layoff factory workers.... they'll lay off office workers as well, and that might come around and affect the other side of BB business.

Our economy was a balancing act that COVID tipped, and each movement seems to make it less and less steady. Material shortages, Labor shortages, Shipping shortages - and rising cost pushing inflation higher and higher.
    05-06-21 07:23 AM
    Down from last year or from where they were projecting this years sales?

Thing is if they have to layoff factory workers.... they'll lay off office workers as well, and that might come around and affect the other side of BB business.

Our economy was a balancing act that COVID tipped, and each movement seems to make it less and less steady. Material shortages, Labor shortages, Shipping shortages - and rising cost pushing inflation higher and higher.
    Compared to projections. As you said correctly earlier, demand is not an issue. It's supply. And the interesting thing is that it's the older components that are harder to get right now.
    05-06-21 08:22 AM
    Compared to projections. As you said correctly earlier, demand is not an issue. It's supply. And the interesting thing is that it's the older components that are harder to get right now.
    I read that Toyota was one of the only ones not being impacted as much. Most the manufactures cancelled orders last year in a panic and that's what started this process as it caused manufactures to close production and in many cases changes their production to something else... that might be more profitable. But Toyota started stockpiling chips...
    Problem is there are other shortages in petrochemicals (plastic components) that have impacted everyone as well... that no one saw coming.

But for BlackBerry... if things stay at least on level with last year, it shouldn't hurt them too much. And thankfully they'll soon have some patent money to utilize as well.
    05-06-21 08:44 AM
    Here is a podcast yesterday between John Chambers and John Chen, for anyone who is interested, https://www.jc2ventures.com/podcast. Nothing new to me other than perhaps the last ~5 min where I think it was the crux of BB's turnaround effort, or lack there of to be precise.

And regarding the chip shortage's impact on QNX: The current projection of global vehicle production is still above 2020, the question is will this shortage be worse or better than projected. The sort-of-good news is that the demand for vehicles is high globally, so eventually automakers will have to replenish the inventory. Automakers and dealers agree the current inventory level is way too low. The unknowns are how long does it take and how much replenish will there be given they believe pre-pandemic inventory level (historically ~60 days supply vs ~30 days now) is not necessary anymore.
    05-06-21 10:50 AM
    Here is a podcast yesterday between John Chambers and John Chen, for anyone who is interested, https://www.jc2ventures.com/podcast. Nothing new to me other than perhaps the last ~5 min where I think it was the crux of BB's turnaround effort, or lack there of to be precise.

And regarding the chip shortage's impact on QNX: The current projection of global vehicle production is still above 2020, the question is will this shortage be worse or better than projected. The sort-of-good news is that the demand for vehicles is high globally, so eventually automakers will have to replenish the inventory. Automakers and dealers agree the current inventory level is way too low. The unknowns are how long does it take and how much replenish will there be given they believe pre-pandemic inventory level (historically ~60 days supply vs ~30 days now) is not necessary anymore.
    The problem is the shortage issues seem to be spreading and with shipping and trucking problems... things will only get worse. Next it will be windshield shortages or "self-sealing stem bolt" shortage... Hard to make projections when you have an event like this that is still developing. But maybe by the AGM, Chen will have some idea of how things are shaping up for the year.
    05-06-21 11:12 AM
    BlackBerry and the University of Waterloo Expand Partnership to Create First Ever Joint Innovation Program
    https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...vation-program

The primary focus will be to develop and conduct research projects—beginning with the University’s Faculties of Mathematics, Engineering, and Science, in conjunction with the Waterloo Artificial Intelligence Institute and the Waterloo Cybersecurity and Privacy Institute—to refine BlackBerry’s product ideas through prototyping and R&D challenges. This will include the development of new business partnerships with faculty members and students who have commercial aspirations for their invented intellectual property.
    rampagingpanda and rarsen like this.
    05-12-21 08:47 AM
    PR:
    https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...-us-government
    BlackBerry Establishes New Subsidiary to Better Serve the U.S. Government

WASHINGTON, D.C. – March 12, 2019 – BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) today announced the creation of BlackBerry Government Solutions, a new independent wholly-owned subsidiary that will accelerate the company’s Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP) initiatives and deepen ties with U.S. federal agencies.
    rarsen likes this.
    05-13-21 09:00 AM
    PR:
    https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...-us-government
    BlackBerry Establishes New Subsidiary to Better Serve the U.S. Government

WASHINGTON, D.C. – March 12, 2019 – BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) today announced the creation of BlackBerry Government Solutions, a new independent wholly-owned subsidiary that will accelerate the company’s Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP) initiatives and deepen ties with U.S. federal agencies.
    Kind of old news.... that really started back in 2016 when they first hired Robert Day Jr to head their then CSOC, which later morphed into this independent subsidiary. https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...rations-center

Per DNB they have total of five employees and generated $439K in sales last year.... But then what kind of cost are associated with hiring a retied Admiral to play the Washington market?
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 05-13-21 at 09:46 AM.
    05-13-21 09:32 AM
    General information during the COVID period:

One-third of organizations question IT infrastructure supporting remote workforce, says BlackBerry report
    https://www.itworldcanada.com/articl...-report/447158

And Darkside ransom panic
    https://twitter.com/JohnChen/status/1392215270123573255
    05-16-21 08:42 AM
    PR:
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301292321.html
    BlackBerry Builds Out Extended Detection and Response (XDR) Capabilities with New Cybersecurity Innovations
    05-17-21 07:56 AM
    Primecap giving up on BB? 25% slash in BB's holdings. The end is near?
    05-17-21 10:00 AM
    Primecap giving up on BB? 25% slash in BB's holdings. The end is near?
    End... no.

Chance for them to see a chance at some profit taking..... well in relation to where they see the stock going, not what they may have in it. They could always buy back later....

If QNX get hurt from Automotive part slow down, and Chen's already said Spark needs a few more quarters (yet again). Where is BlackBerry going to be trading? Even if they get more than expected out of the patents...
    05-17-21 11:32 AM
    Good presentation by Tom E., for those who are interested:
    https://apnews.com/press-release/pr-...43a9b20647016e

Needham’s 16th Annual Virtual Technology and Media Conference
    Tuesday, May 18th, 2021, at 10:15am ET
    Presenter: Tom Eacobacci, BlackBerry President & Chief Operating Officer, focusing on BlackBerry’s Cyber Security market opportunity.
    This event will be webcast live. A link to register and a replay will both be available on the BlackBerry.com/Investors website.
    rampagingpanda and Rice Dawg like this.
    05-18-21 12:52 PM
113,250 ... 45084509451045114512 ...