View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    No one is asking for 100% unequivocal. But if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably a duck.
    yes, in general it's never a good sign if the CFO sell 100% of his shares. I am in no way arguing that point.

In this specific case, for the very short term, it was a bad signal as the price went much higher. in the slightly longer short term, it was still a bad signal as the price stabilised above the level they sold. in the medium term, it was a better signal, as the price came down again. In the longer term, time will tell. let's see if he sells more at the next opportunity.
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    03-31-21 11:35 AM
    just listened to the quarterly call, and some notes:

• BB got design wins (for QNX?) from Toyota and Honda. (!) [at 12:33]
    • The revenue guidance seemes good, i.e. back above 1 billion.
    • The tone of the call is just about about as constructive as I've ever heard. too bad the revenue wasn't better.
    • From the last question, EPS can go negative if the licensing sale goes through.
    • They are hiring people in sales and marketing.
    • Will start to be a partial work from home company. hopefully this means that they are able to recruit some more talent.

I am looking forward to that product the will launch next quarter.

the annoying part is that each and every quarter JC references double digit billings growth, while revenue more or less keeps going down.
    03-31-21 01:16 PM
    so, just to set the record straight on where I'm coming from:

• I sold roughly 1/3 of the shares I own at >20 usd/share.
    • Some suggested that I was a fool not to sell these at the 8-usd range post IVY-news, and by not following that adv... ehm.. suggestion, I was able to realise almost as much, but still hanging on to 2/3 of my shares. (this was off course just dumb luck)
    • I planned to sell more at 30 USD/share, but then we saw what happened with rules changes etc., and then we never saw that price.
    • in hindsight, I should've sold everything at 28 usd/share.
    • I am not impressed with JC et al. execution. (I have not yet listened to the latest earnings call.)
    • I have reinvested the money from BB into another company, which has gone 2-3x since my investment.
    • From last February, my portfolio is up +547%. from the lowest point in March, it is up 11x.
    Would you mind sharing some of your picks? I have been out of Blackberry for a while. Pretty disappointed with JC execution in the past 8 years. The revenue just could not grow as we expected.
    03-31-21 03:45 PM
    I hope that was CAD limit price....
    Unfortunately.. Next time won't wait for even numbers .
    04-01-21 03:27 AM
    Would you mind sharing some of your picks?
    Sure, I can share some of my picks. That said, it is very important to mention that this is not financial advice and, to quote Grant Williams, please consult a licensed financial adviser before putting a dime of your money into these crazy markets.

public companies:
    • NattoPharma: Company is in the process of being acquired by Lessafre, I have sold everything I own.
    • BerGenBio : Is a clinical-stage oncology company focused on developing transformative drugs. They are about to publish results from a clinical trial for a medicine (Bemcentinib) for COVID-19. Main use case for that medicine is still several different types of cancer.
    • New Found Gold - junior gold miner
    • Pan American Silver

crypto:
    • BTC - Bitcoin - probably doesn't need any introduction.
    • ETH - Ethereum - also probably doesn't need any introduction.
    • HBT - hubii network token. For now the main claim to fame is that you receive around 15 nii tokens per month per hbt token you own. (this could change)
    • nii - Nahmii is a Layer 2 protocol for Ethereum. They are about to launch something big.

If you follow Real Vision and their founder Raoul Pal, he says that right now the gains in crypto just puts every other asset class to shame. I am hard pressed to disagree. Things are very volatile, and the risk can be hard to quantify, so be prepared for all of that. While it's easier than ever to buy crypto, it is also very easy to mess up. Do your own due diligence.

As per above comment I don't want to make any recommendations. The only thing I can say is that if I could only own one from the above list, it is not even close. It would be nii - the nahmii protocol token. That said, I would prefer not buying nii outright, but buying hbt. that is because buying hbt is just a much cheaper way of buying nii-tokens. if you own one hbt-token and hold it in a non-exchange wallet you qualify for a monthly airdrop.

Please note that some clowns have recently launched a token called habitat - which they also call hbt. I don't know anything about them, but if any of you have gone through my list above and want to buy hbt, make sure that it is hubii network token and not habitat before you press buy.

For full transparency: I have been following the hubii/nahmii project since before Hubii's ICO. I have gotten to know the CEO and have been advising him from time to time. I own both hbt and nii tokens.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 04-01-21 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Typo
    Corbu, shanhetao and rarsen like this.
    04-01-21 03:53 AM
    Sure, I can share some of my picks. That said, it is very important to mention that this is not financial advice and, to quote Grant Williams, please consult a licensed financial adviser before putting a dime of your money into these crazy markets.

public companies:
    • NattoPharma: Company is in the process of being acquired by Lessafre, I have sold everything I own.
    • BerGenBio : Is a clinical-stage oncology company focused on developing transformative drugs. They are about to publish results from a clinical trial for a medicine (Bemcentinib) for COVID-19. Main use case for that medicine is still several different types of cancer.
    • New Found Gold - junior gold miner
    • Pan American Silver

crypto:
    • BTC - Bitcoin - probably doesn't need any introduction.
    • ETH - Ethereum - also probably doesn't need any introduction.
    • HBT - hubii network token. For now the main claim to fame is that you receive around 15 nii tokens per month per hbt token you own. (this could change)
    • nii - Nahmii is a Layer 2 protocol for Ethereum. They are about to launch something big.

If you follow Real Vision and their founder Raoul Pal, he says that right now the gains in crypto just puts every other asset class to shame. I am hard pressed to disagree. Things are very volatile, and the risk can be hard to quantify, so be prepared for all of that. While it's easier than ever to buy crypto, it is also very easy to mess up. Do your own due diligence.

As per above comment I don't want to make any recommendations. The only thing I can say is that if I could only own one from the above list, it is not even close. It would be nii - the nahmii protocol token. That said, I would prefer not buying nii outright, but buying hbt. that is because buying hbt is just a much cheaper way of buying nii-tokens. if you own one hbt-token and hold it in a non-exchange wallet you qualify for a monthly airdrop.

Please note that some clowns have recently launched a token called habitat - which they also call hbt. I don't know anything about them, but if any of you have gone through my list above and want to buy hbt, make sure that it is hubii network token and not habitat before you press buy.

For full transparency: I have been following the hubii/nahmii project since before Hubii's ICO. I have gotten to know the CEO and have been advising him from time to time. I own both hbt and nii tokens.
    Appreciated for sharing.
    FeitaInc and Corbu like this.
    04-01-21 09:47 AM
    https://vimeo.com/489337538
    Appreciated for sharing.
    no problem. just paying all the things I have learnt on here forward. And sorry for posting non BB-related things.

nothing would please me more than if any of you fine folks, who have been on this thread for years, made that boatload of money that BB has yet to deliver by for instance buying nii tokens. I was pushing hbt some time back, so hopefully somebody took the plunge then. if you did, then I think congratulations are in order.

the project still appers to be a very well kept secret. I think this is something that is due to change within a few months. They have a telegram channel where you can follow along the conversation, but right now that channel is in listen only mode pending the inbound news. If this has piqued your curiosity and you want to see a nice short clip on one of the projects they are working on, here's a video for you. Guest appearance by non other than Ethereum co-founder Joe Lubin.
    Corbu likes this.
    04-01-21 10:20 AM
    This shouldn’t be any surprise. BlackBerry Limited did come out with a public statement at time, specifically worded, that no material changes had occurred within company. Then, BlackBerry Limited insiders dumped shares which suggests those insiders felt BB shares has reached or exceeded maximum share price.
    Just stick to your Tampa Bay teams mate! Lol
    04-01-21 11:22 AM
    We’ve already had an exchange on this. Two c-level executives sold, one a part and one all. That’s hardly the conclusive “reached or exceeded maximum share price”. Sorry mate, but that is making a bird out of two feathers, and you know it. Aka conjecture. You could just as plausibly make the case that the overwhelming majority of management and the board didn’t sell, and make the polar opposite case.
    Good point mate but the argument goes both ways. I love John Chen but sometimes I question his vision of the future. My future would be a little different. Like I mentioned one post BlackBerry should create and not be a backseat driver.
    04-01-21 11:32 AM
    Do the machinations of BlackBerry's own CFO not even draw your interest?

If he sold his entire position at under $13, you know perfectly well what the company's longterm fundamentals are showing them.
    How many times have CFO sell their shares at below current prices!!
    04-01-21 11:49 AM
    No one is asking for 100% unequivocal. But if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably a duck.
    Then enjoy some duck soup mate!
    04-01-21 11:51 AM
    Unless rants and thoughts are on this thread. Keep them to yourself mates because they are just thoughts and nothing else!! Cheers and hope I see Corbu girlfriend looking real nice!!!
    04-01-21 06:15 PM
    I was going to post a weekend video of Pink Floyd but instead it's the lyrics mate.

Big man, pig man
    Ha ha, charade you are
    Woo!
    You!
    Well heeled big wheel
    Ha ha, charade you are
    And when your hand is on your heart
    You're nearly a good laugh
    Almost a joker
    With your head down in the pig bin
    Saying, "Keep on digging"
    Pig stain on your fat chin
    What do you hope to find?
    Down in the pig mine
    You're nearly a laugh
    You're nearly a laugh
    But you're really a cry

Bus stop rat bag
    Ha ha, charade you are
    You!
    ****ed up old hag
    Ha ha, charade you are
    You radiate cold shafts of broken glass
    You're nearly a good laugh
    Almost worth a quick grin
    You like the feel of steel
    You're hot stuff with a hatpin
    And good fun with a hand gun
    You're nearly a laugh
    You're nearly a laugh
    But you're really a cry

Hey you, Whitehouse
    Ha ha, charade you are
    You!
    House proud town mouse
    Ha ha, charade you are
    You're trying to keep our feelings off the street
    You're nearly a real treat
    All tight lips and cold feet
    And do you feel abused?
    ...! ...! ...! ...! ...! ...! ...!
    You!
    Gotta stem the evil tide
    And keep it all on the inside
    Mary you're nearly a treat
    Mary you're nearly a treat
    But you're really a cry
    04-01-21 06:26 PM
    Unfortunately.. Next time won't wait for even numbers .
    My first or second day on the job, “Fast Eddie” pulled me aside, told me next time a client of his didn’t take profits and sell after I called “said client” per my senior broker’s instruction, say VERBATIM, “Bulls get fat, Bears get fat, Pigs get slaughtered, don’t be a greedy pig” and hang up the phone. Win some, Lose some, just never forget. RIP Fast Eddie, I learned how to survive in this business.

She’ll go up or down, just pray she never flatlines......
    Redzinaldas likes this.
    04-01-21 06:29 PM
    My first or second day on the job, “Fast Eddie” pulled me aside, told me next time a client of his didn’t take profits and sell after I called “said client” per my senior broker’s instruction, say VERBATIM, “Bulls get fat, Bears get fat, Pigs get slaughtered, don’t be a greedy pig” and hang up the phone. Win some, Lose some, just never forget. RIP Fast Eddie, I learned how to survive in this business.

She’ll go up or down, just pray she never flatlines......
    Lol mate just stick with Tampa teams and not financial companies. Feel sorry for you and your teams this coming year.
    04-01-21 06:54 PM
    Lol mate just stick with Tampa teams and not financial companies. Feel sorry for you and your teams this coming year.
    I’m pretty sure it’s kind of late for me to change my primary career.... LOL
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-01-21 07:19 PM
    Thats good mate
    Last edited by bbjdog; 04-01-21 at 10:35 PM.
    04-01-21 09:50 PM
    I’m pretty sure it’s kind of late for me to change my primary career.... LOL
    Layman here.... but reading the full Financial Information report, what's your take on why the stock is doing as good as it is right now.
    04-02-21 10:16 AM
    Layman here.... but reading the full Financial Information report, what's your take on why the stock is doing as good as it is right now.
    It lives in the $6-$9 price range based on intrinsic value and Fairfax ownership control. Big institutions either want to be part of Fairfax consortium or get taken out at the knees. Look at what happened when Dorsey Gardner attempted to play the activist role.

The BlackBerry Limited story is that of an old maid it seems. Every time it ventures somewhere new but related, here comes Apple, Google and Microsoft too but enormous clout and economic resources. All the industry players talking with BB cozy up with the popular girls instead. BB is like a coal mine canary but dead like in Dumb and Dumber movie.

I feel like even Amazon is just using BlackBerry for now. Amazon could purchased BlackBerry in the past year for $10-$15/share and doesn't
    04-02-21 01:57 PM
    I'm surprised none of the Analyst mentioned the settlement.... seemed to all be focused on the Patent sale and how it would affect revenues going forward. That Chen admitted EPS might go negative when it goes through, if growth doesn't happen.....

But neither Chen nor Steve felt it was something positive to showcase.... and they needed all the positive they could get. My guess is it wasn't worth talking about, and we many never know what it resulted in.
    Pretty sure the settlement was both sides decided to take their balls and go home. If there had been a major financial settlement BB would not have waited for the earnings announcement. My guess is if there had been a settlement Facebook would have just purchased the patents from BB as a way to settle the issue.
    04-06-21 12:10 PM
    Pretty sure the settlement was both sides decided to take their balls and go home. If there had been a major financial settlement BB would not have waited for the earnings announcement. My guess is if there had been a settlement Facebook would have just purchased the patents from BB as a way to settle the issue.
    Agree... in the end the only winners were the lawyers.
    04-06-21 01:38 PM
    That doesn't really make sense though. The patent board ruled that the face tagging(I believe?) patent was valid, FB had already lost in German court, by all appearances they were infringing on it everywhere else, and shortly after the confidential agreement, functionality, including in Germany, was restored. By several counts this was an extremely valuable feature, as much of FB's targeted advertising was linked to identifying people, associations etc. If there was zero consideration, and they "just took their balls and went home" why would BB simply be willing to ignore the German court's ruling to their own detriment?

Secondly, I don't understand why people keep asking or wondering about when details will get released. It said in black and white that they reached a confidential agreement and will not disclose details. In layman's terms, that means it's a secret.

It could have been a one time payment (unlikely since Chen has never favoured those, or gone for it even once as far as I can tell), annual payments, potentially starting 2 years down the road, hell maybe it was Zuck had to do a silly dance. Part of me leans towards an agreement to buy the offending patents and others if they can reach an agreement (I noted that the FB case was withdrawn with prejudice, where as the BB case was without - Means BB could sue again - perhaps if they don't reach an agreement? But FB cannot) Perhaps FB is finally going down the FRAND path that BB tried for at the start? An "agreement" reached in court, doesn't necessarily mean something final as far as the parties are concerned. Just final as far as the courts are.
    Corbu, dusdal and Redzinaldas like this.
    04-06-21 08:02 PM
    I'm surprised none of the Analyst mentioned the settlement.... seemed to all be focused on the Patent sale and how it would affect revenues going forward. That Chen admitted EPS might go negative when it goes through, if growth doesn't happen.....

But neither Chen nor Steve felt it was something positive to showcase.... and they needed all the positive they could get. My guess is it wasn't worth talking about, and we many never know what it resulted in.
    That doesn't really make sense though. The patent board ruled that the face tagging(I believe?) patent was valid, FB had already lost in German court, by all appearances they were infringing on it everywhere else, and shortly after the confidential agreement, functionality, including in Germany, was restored. By several counts this was an extremely valuable feature, as much of FB's targeted advertising was linked to identifying people, associations etc. If there was zero consideration, and they "just took their balls and went home" why would BB simply be willing to ignore the German court's ruling to their own detriment?

Secondly, I don't understand why people keep asking or wondering about when details will get released. It said in black and white that they reached a confidential agreement and will not disclose details. In layman's terms, that means it's a secret.

It could have been a one time payment (unlikely since Chen has never favoured those, or gone for it even once as far as I can tell), annual payments, potentially starting 2 years down the road, hell maybe it was Zuck had to do a silly dance. Part of me leans towards an agreement to buy the offending patents and others if they can reach an agreement (I noted that the FB case was withdrawn with prejudice, where as the BB case was without - Means BB could sue again - perhaps if they don't reach an agreement? But FB cannot) Perhaps FB is finally going down the FRAND path that BB tried for at the start? An "agreement" reached in court, doesn't necessarily mean something final as far as the parties are concerned. Just final as far as the courts are.
    Disclosure that EPS could go negative does need to be treated as public disclosure things aren’t positive in that respect.
    04-06-21 09:20 PM
    PR:
    https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...866332718.html
    Volvo Group selects BlackBerry QNX for its Dynamic Software Platform
    04-07-21 07:17 AM
    Disclosure that EPS could go negative does need to be treated as public disclosure things aren’t positive in that respect.

In the end I think the current agreement had to do with the selling of the patents and leaving it open ended was for the benefits of the patent valuation. I know I see BlackBerry in a negative light, but Chen was talking about the patent sale and the short window of ongoing IP revenue.... and if they come to an agreement with the buyer.

It's like when your selling a house, and someone makes an offer after it being on the market for months.... but to close the deal they want you to leave all the furniture, the appliance..... and the boat. Do you counter offer, or just take it? Maybe in stead of $400 million Chen gets $600 million, but paired with less long term revenue (as he hinted). Or maybe he just get's $350 million, and less long term access to those patents? Did he seem excited?

I think short term BlackBerry needs cash, and Chen knows this. Growing a business take cash, and Chen's getting tired of having to make cuts - which it is clear they are still having to do with operations as the revenues fall. You have to spend on R&D, you have to spend on marketing and sales... if not your revenues will keep falling. He needs this...
    04-07-21 08:38 AM
113,256 ... 45064507450845094510 ...