• No

427 37.82%
    IP:
    "487 Patent"
    https://news.bloomberglaw.com/ip-law...ireless-patent
    Apple, BlackBerry Score Win Over Uniloc Wireless Patent

USPTO decision:
    https://aboutblaw.com/QWp
    rarsen, La Emperor, dusdal and 1 others like this.
    05-20-20 08:04 AM
    Sadly the blackberry announcement is nothing more than smoke and mirrors for doing absolutely nothing but recycling news that has zero material revenue impact - this company is dead, entire BOD, Chen, and Watsa need to be ousted - they've absolutely clobbered the company.

What a waste all those millions were, bunch of fraud artists running failberry - karma will be a *****. No wonder any partners left are moving away from anything blackberry related - a company who alienates any stakeholder they come in contact with for greed, corruption and incompetence. Drain the swamp, BB is the swamp, nothing but **** soup.

SPHS, BB - Morgan was supposed to be an expert, most of the above in this thread, myself included at one point were nothing but dumbasses misled by unethical fraudsters. Today's reality points out this reality.

Not sure why you're laughing about it, I'd rather have Boeing than this trash, next thing you know you'll hear blackberry will be shutting down operations too, they'll pay out the board and Chen to avoid lawsuits from insiders - that's how scummy this company is.
    Morgan's been gone a year... if folks weren't watching what was going on with SPHS and EYPT that isn't on him. They were highly speculative "penny" stocks - not long term investments. In the end he was a trader... which means knowing when to sell.
    La Emperor, dusdal and JLagoon like this.
    05-20-20 08:07 AM
    Sadly the blackberry announcement is nothing more than smoke and mirrors for doing absolutely nothing but recycling news that has zero material revenue impact - this company is dead, entire BOD, Chen, and Watsa need to be ousted - they've absolutely clobbered the company.

What a waste all those millions were, bunch of fraud artists running failberry - karma will be a *****. No wonder any partners left are moving away from anything blackberry related - a company who alienates any stakeholder they come in contact with for greed, corruption and incompetence. Drain the swamp, BB is the swamp, nothing but **** soup.

SPHS, BB - Morgan was supposed to be an expert, most of the above in this thread, myself included at one point were nothing but dumbasses misled by unethical fraudsters. Today's reality points out this reality.

Not sure why you're laughing about it, I'd rather have Boeing than this trash, next thing you know you'll hear blackberry will be shutting down operations too, they'll pay out the board and Chen to avoid lawsuits from insiders - that's how scummy this company is.
    All the losses occurred from greed after Fairfax effectively bought company and Chen saved it.

Shareholders had several opportunities to exit at far higher prices than now. Everything has been publicly disclosed.
    La Emperor and BanffMoose like this.
    05-20-20 08:15 AM
    All the losses occurred from greed after Fairfax effectively bought company and Chen saved it.

Shareholders had several opportunities to exit at far higher prices than now. Everything has been publicly disclosed.
    It's that combination of greed mixed with passion for the brand...
    La Emperor likes this.
    05-20-20 09:04 AM
    IP:
    "487 Patent"
    https://news.bloomberglaw.com/ip-law...ireless-patent
    Apple, BlackBerry Score Win Over Uniloc Wireless Patent

USPTO decision:
    https://aboutblaw.com/QWp
    Hey Corbu,

Just out of curiosity, and I may have missed it since I don't give BB the attention I once did (better for my mental health that way), but did you ever get anything in response to the various ER questions people sent your way?
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 1 others like this.
    05-20-20 10:00 AM
    Hey Corbu,

Just out of curiosity, and I may have missed it since I don't give BB the attention I once did (better for my mental health that way), but did you ever get anything in response to the various ER questions people sent your way?
    Yes. To be very honest, they were so plain vanilla, with no specific question answered the way we would want them to be, with only generalities, that I did not yet take the time to summarize and post them. Simply no point, sadly. Granted, when times are tough, I understand it may be difficult for some to provide specific answers and elaborate.

Apologies to all for asking for questions and not following-up. No ill will or laziness on my part or on that of all parties involved, really.
    05-20-20 10:08 AM
    https://www.channelasia.tech/article...n-asia-pacific
    How a new-look BlackBerry Spark is partnering in Asia Pacific

Availability of BlackBerry Spark Suites aims to drive vendor consolidation efforts
    JLagoon likes this.
    05-20-20 12:47 PM
    then please pretty please buy Boing and leave this thread alone.
    Sucks hearing the truth doesn't it, ignorance sure is bliss.
    05-20-20 12:55 PM
    Sucks hearing the truth doesn't it, ignorance sure is bliss.
    I tend to like to hear dissenting opinions backed up by solid reasoning. What I don't like to hear is opinions expressed as facts, general whining on repeat and shallow preaching from a soapbox.

What is so frustrating about how I read what you write is that you seem to be in such a bad place. That may just be me reading you wrong, but you seem to drop in every now and then and spew some "BB is sh##t and JC is a fraud" and as far as I can tell, it doesn't alleviate any of the bad feelings you seem to have. I'd love for you to share why you harbour such strong feelings against BB in general and JC in particular.
    La Emperor, Corbu, YUUUUP and 1 others like this.
    05-20-20 01:49 PM
    Since we have been discussing SPHS and EYPT a bit these past few days, I'd like to mention a Norwegian biotech company that you might want to have your eyes on. the name of the company is BerGenBio, and the most prominent thing they are doing these days is to be the leading candidate in the ACCORD-study in Britain. More info can be found in this article. Please note that this is just one in a series of very interesting programs they are a part of.

press release: BERGENBIO’S BEMCENTINIB SELECTED TO BE FAST-TRACKED AS POTENTIAL TREATMENT FOR COVID-19 THROUGH NEW NATIONAL UK GOVERNMENT CLINICAL TRIAL INITIATIVE

Please note that the Norwegian kroner has taken a nosedive relative the USD these past few months, so you get more for your money now it seems. Norway also has credit swap lines with the FED.

full disclaimer: I am a shareholder in BerGenBio, have met and talked to one of their senior people and I am from Bergen. BerGenBio is not based out of Oslo..
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 05-21-20 at 04:27 AM.
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 1 others like this.
    05-21-20 04:17 AM
    I suppose a certain level of frustration is expected, given all of the challenges we all currently face. For me, staying home and pondering (obsessing ?) over why certain things are what they are. With investing it always come down to "if only I had done "xxxxxx" ? At one point I was equally invested in both Apple and Blackberry and when Apple starting hitting all time highs, I sold out and plowed it all into Blackberry, thinking it was well below its historical trading range. Events since has clearly determined what a huge dope I was as that was clearly the wrong move.

However, I made that call with all the mental forethought I could muster and I must accept the consequences without blaming anyone else. While feeling sorry for yourself is natural for a period of time, positively moving and taking action is the real solution.
    05-22-20 09:56 AM
    I suppose a certain level of frustration is expected, given all of the challenges we all currently face. For me, staying home and pondering (obsessing ?) over why certain things are what they are. With investing it always come down to "if only I had done "xxxxxx" ? At one point I was equally invested in both Apple and Blackberry and when Apple starting hitting all time highs, I sold out and plowed it all into Blackberry, thinking it was well below its historical trading range. Events since has clearly determined what a huge dope I was as that was clearly the wrong move.

However, I made that call with all the mental forethought I could muster and I must accept the consequences without blaming anyone else. While feeling sorry for yourself is natural for a period of time, positively moving and taking action is the real solution.
    It was easy to get caught up here... Superfly_FR was a very positive cheerleader. But in the end everyone has to own the decisions that they make.

I still think Chen has done the best job he could, with what little he had back in 2013.
    rampagingpanda likes this.
    05-22-20 11:19 AM
    This thread has been more balanced over the past several months, though. For a while it was extremely strong in amplifying only the positive signals of BB and some other favorite stocks. Now I feel like it’s a more fair and welcoming discussion for people with different perspectives.

I’ve been in and out of BB for many years (long before this thread).
    05-22-20 03:12 PM
    Balanced enough that we can enter into a frank discussion about the merits of investing in BlackBerry stock and individual stocks in general?

There is over 8 years of history following the stock from about $11 to under $5 during the longest bull market in stock market history. The company is out of the smartphone business. The patent portfolio hasn’t panned out to be as valuable as previously thought. This company does not have any unique or market-leading technology that one can identify as being able to drive significant growth going forward. The market knows about QNX.

BlackBerry is now being publicly accused of being a patent troll - using its IP purely for the purposes of funding its transition into other lines of business. While this may be legal, it can’t help sales and the effort to restore its brand reputation. A patent troll doesn’t care about what other companies in the industry think about it. BlackBerry can’t afford to be that if it wants to sell B2B services. In BlackBerry’s hands, I can’t imagine that this IP portfolio is doing anything other than losing value over time.

I have no idea whether technical analysis of this stock has been useful. There is a claim that individuals, here, have successfully traded in and out of the stock at a profit but that hasn’t been quantified. Many of these strategies seems to have involved accumulating shares which results in unrealized gains and losses. It seems that the most successful strategy, over the long term, would have been to short it and every other stock that has been consistently mentioned on this thread.

What I question the most is the notion that an individual investor can do enough research on a company to consistently outperform the overall market in trading this or any other stock. This thread has been an echo chamber for those who have been long-time fans of this company’s products to agree with each other that the overall market is wrong about BlackBerry and its competitors. It would seem that any edge in knowledge about this company would be more than offset by the obvious bias of being a BlackBerry supporter and wanting to own shares. The disdain of AAPL, clearly the most successful competitor Blackberry has ever had, and one of most successful technology companies ever, is the most damning evidence of this bias. You can hate the company without having to hate the stock.

It may be interesting and may foster enjoyable camaraderie but this has not been a successful investment strategy. If I remember, correctly, the originator of this thread had 1000 BBRY shares or something so it really was more of a speculative hobby from a novice rather than a serious investment. As the title says, he supported BBRY and he bought shares. Everything else, as they say, was a lot of fun until some people got hurt.
    Last edited by early2bed; 05-23-20 at 12:21 PM.
    05-23-20 11:28 AM
    Balanced enough that we can enter into a frank discussion about the merits of investing in BlackBerry stock and individual stocks in general?

There is over 8 years of history following the stock from about $11 to under $5 during the longest bull market in stock market history. The company is out of the smartphone business. The patent portfolio hasn’t panned out to be as valuable as previously thought. This company does not have any unique or market-leading technology that one can identify as being able to drive significant growth going forward. The market knows about QNX.

BlackBerry is now being publicly accused of being a patent troll - using its IP purely for the purposes of funding its transition into other lines of business. While this may be legal, it can’t help sales and the effort to restore its brand reputation. A patent troll doesn’t care about what other companies in the industry think about it. BlackBerry can’t afford to be that if it wants to sell B2B services. In BlackBerry’s hands, I can’t imagine that this IP portfolio is doing anything other than losing value over time.

I have no idea whether technical analysis of this stock has been useful. There is a claim that individuals, here, have successfully traded in and out of the stock at a profit but that hasn’t been quantified. Many of these strategies seems to have involved accumulating shares which results in unrealized gains and losses. It seems that the most successful strategy, over the long term, would have been to short it and every other stock that has been consistently mentioned on this thread.

What I question the most is the notion that an individual investor can do enough research on a company to consistently outperform the overall market in trading this or any other stock. This thread has been an echo chamber for those who have been long-time fans of this company’s products to agree with each other that the overall market is wrong about BlackBerry and its competitors. It would seem that any edge in knowledge about this company would be more than offset by the obvious bias of being a BlackBerry supporter and wanting to own shares. The disdain of AAPL, clearly the most successful competitor Blackberry has ever had, and one of most successful technology companies ever, is the most damning evidence of this bias. You can hate the company without having to hate the stock.

It may be interesting and may foster enjoyable camaraderie but this has not been a successful investment strategy. If I remember, correctly, the originator of this thread had 1000 BBRY shares or something so it really was more of a speculative hobby from a novice rather than a serious investment. As the title says, he supported BBRY and he bought shares. Everything else, as they say, was a lot of fun until some people got hurt.
    Thread violates rule #1 with investing. Fall in love with a company, dont fall in love with its shares. BlackBerry effectively went out and under in 2013 when Fairfax pulled its bid and took over control of the company. That more don't understand this fascinates me. Fairfax, Premium and Chen did save the company for everyone but their interests have never been aligned with anyone else's beyond avoiding bankruptcy. Even then, Fairfax still could restructure over common shareholders exclusively
    05-23-20 01:56 PM
    Most of the individual shares that I own are companies that I work (or worked) for or advised. RSU’s and exercised option awards. Or investments that got acquired, etc. I play a little with things like Tesla and BB and Amazon, but it’s a small amount of money really.

I feel like sometimes people bet on what they *hope* will happen vs what they actually expect to happen. That can be dangerous, especially if you learn to tune out counterpoints.

Back on topic, I think Cylance needs to get their stuff together. QNX is a tiny business. The IP stuff is not what you want to be dependent on as a going concern. IP licensing should be a cash bridge to something bigger, nothing more.

Cylance is not as strong a position as CRWD. Not even close. BB paid too much and the deal was too favorable an exit for Cylance. But they can hopefully catch up and that should be the focus.

And just stop with the Spark BS. Nobody in any large CIO or CISO office is buying that. Just focus Cylance on the stuff that really matters and stop trying to spin some story that is mostly about BB and its own identity crisis. Buyers don’t care about that stuff.

That’s my unfiltered opinion. )
    Last edited by app_Developer; 05-23-20 at 04:42 PM.
    rarsen and La Emperor like this.
    05-23-20 03:41 PM
    Of general interest on built-in vehicle connectivity :

Report: What to expect from your new car in 2030
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/report...&cid=716503125
    Currently, 48 percent of all new cars globally include built-in connectivity, but by 2030 that figure will rise to 96 percent, SBD Automotive says.
    By 2030, the report says, 79 percent of new vehicles in 2030 are expected to have at least L2 autonomy, which offers partial automation with the driver still in control of the vehicle. Currently, 45 percent of vehicles are shipped with L2 autonomy or higher.
    Still, just 24 percent of all new cars sold by 2030 will be electric, the report forecasts. That's compared to 3 percent currently.
    05-25-20 03:37 PM
    Most of the individual shares that I own are companies that I work (or worked) for or advised. RSU’s and exercised option awards. Or investments that got acquired, etc. I play a little with things like Tesla and BB and Amazon, but it’s a small amount of money really.

I feel like sometimes people bet on what they *hope* will happen vs what they actually expect to happen. That can be dangerous, especially if you learn to tune out counterpoints.

Back on topic, I think Cylance needs to get their stuff together. QNX is a tiny business. The IP stuff is not what you want to be dependent on as a going concern. IP licensing should be a cash bridge to something bigger, nothing more.

Cylance is not as strong a position as CRWD. Not even close. BB paid too much and the deal was too favorable an exit for Cylance. But they can hopefully catch up and that should be the focus.

And just stop with the Spark BS. Nobody in any large CIO or CISO office is buying that. Just focus Cylance on the stuff that really matters and stop trying to spin some story that is mostly about BB and its own identity crisis. Buyers don’t care about that stuff.

That’s my unfiltered opinion. )
    They paid too much... but then invested too little. I just don't get the R&D levels at BlackBerry...
    05-26-20 09:38 AM
    They paid too much... but then invested too little. I just don't get the R&D levels at BlackBerry...
    Not enough left in the checkbook
    05-26-20 08:57 PM
    https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2020...-authorization
    BlackBerry Government Mobility Suite (BGMS): The Path to FedRAMP Authorization

rarsen and rampagingpanda like this.
    05-27-20 01:45 PM
    https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2020...-authorization
    BlackBerry Government Mobility Suite (BGMS): The Path to FedRAMP Authorization
    Reading their road to FedRamp Authorization sounds like they started early and really went after it.

I really don't know when FedRamp got started.... but Google's G Suite was "In-Process" in 2014 and Authorized in 2016. VMware's Airwatch was "In-Process" in April of 2016 and got approved six months later in 2016. IBM's MaaS360 Enterprise Mobility Management.... "In-Process" in 2013 and "Authorized in 2015". Even MobileIron been "Authorized" going back to 2016.... but only has one Agencies at this point.

In the end all that matters is are their government IT departments interested it what they are selling. Does BlackBerry have something they need, at the price they want it for?

Hope they fix the typo in their report.... used BGSM one time in place of BGMS.
    05-27-20 02:36 PM
    Reading their road to FedRamp Authorization sounds like they started early and really went after it.

I really don't know when FedRamp got started.... but Google's G Suite was "In-Process" in 2014 and Authorized in 2016. VMware's Airwatch was "In-Process" in April of 2016 and got approved six months later in 2016. IBM's MaaS360 Enterprise Mobility Management.... "In-Process" in 2013 and "Authorized in 2015". Even MobileIron been "Authorized" going back to 2016.... but only has one Agencies at this point.

In the end all that matters is are their government IT departments interested it what they are selling. Does BlackBerry have something they need, at the price they want it for?

Hope they fix the typo in their report.... used BGSM one time in place of BGMS.
    Google, IBM, and everyone else were only cloud or trying to move to cloud when they started getting their FedRAMP authorization. Meanwhile our favorite company was fighting to stay alive.

What doesn't excuse BlackBerry is why it took them so long to move towards FedRAMP after they stabilized the company. Didn't they start the process when some retired Admiral emailed John Chen about that? Chen then hired the guy to help them get it? We discussed it here a while back.

I'm still dumbfounded. Thousands of employees and BlackBerry can only seem to do one thing at a time. This goes back to the Mike and Jim days.
    05-28-20 07:39 PM
    I'm still dumbfounded. Thousands of employees and BlackBerry can only seem to do one thing at a time. This goes back to the Mike and Jim days.
    Classic panicky corporate behavior. In a climate of fear and uncertainty employees are afraid and only do what they are implicitly told to do. Everyone puts their heads down and hopes they don't get tagged as being part of "the problem" by making any real or perceived wrong move. You can't have a creative dynamic growing company in climate of zero risk taking.

I wonder what the climate is like today ? I suspect Chen is not a very open to ideas coming from others.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-29-20 08:15 AM
    Classic panicky corporate behavior. In a climate of fear and uncertainty employees are afraid and only do what they are implicitly told to do. Everyone puts their heads down and hopes they don't get tagged as being part of "the problem" by making any real or perceived wrong move. You can't have a creative dynamic growing company in climate of zero risk taking.

I wonder what the climate is like today ? I suspect Chen is not a very open to ideas coming from others.
    You don't have a whole BB UEM sales force collapse because things are going great. I doubt COVID has improved the money flow or the climate.

BlackBerry hired Rear Admiral Robert "Bob" E. Day, Jr. way back in 2016 to support their efforts in Washington, so they have been working on this for longer than it appears. Not really sure what the change was when they set up that new BlackBerry Government Solutions subsidiary last year. Maybe helps if they can pretend to be a US based company?
    The subsidiary launched last week in downtown D.C. independent of the greater BlackBerry company (minus the shared name) with its own governance structure, and systems and data hosted separately from its parent company.
    I suspect that had more to do with the delay in getting approval....

But Day was upfront last year... said it was going to be "a big investment — not only the time and money, but the patience.” That the end goal might be years away. This might not bear fruit for a few more years... but down the road it could be very profitable, if they can offer something the competition doesn't.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    05-29-20 08:51 AM
    I have to say that CrowdStrike´s post-cornona-market-crash comeback has been nothing other than spectacular. my hat is of for the team over at CRWD, at congrats to the shareholders.
    Corbu likes this.
    06-01-20 11:18 AM
113,256 ... 44374438443944404441 ...