View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I come here daily hoping for the occasional beach and bikini picture and now all I get is the occasional motorcycle......

If you want to prop up the share price....
    Well, here you go my friend. Not exactly beach or bikini but if it can help the share price...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-80386303_2569632119934557_3575784557086963194_n.jpg

Sorry, no BlackBerry phone in this one. Just a blackberry bracelet.
    rarsen and Andy_bb_king like this.
    01-07-20 02:53 PM
    Well, here you go my friend. Not exactly beach or bikini but if it can help the share price...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80386303_2569632119934557_3575784557086963194_n.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	447211

Sorry, no BlackBerry phone in this one. Just a blackberry bracelet.
    Disaster averted.

BB shareholders thank you
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and rarsen like this.
    01-07-20 03:03 PM
    Disaster averted.

Anything for you guys.
    01-07-20 03:09 PM
    Disaster averted.

Hahahaha....thanks to Corbu!
    01-07-20 04:55 PM
    Hahahaha....thanks to Corbu!
    Excuse me but if y’all were thinking it, why did only I speak up? LMAO
    rarsen and Hazo like this.
    01-07-20 05:18 PM
    Morgan Stanley

James E Faucette

BlackBerry Ltd

Discontinuation of Coverage

Effective immediately, we are discontinuing coverage of BlackBerry Ltd. (BB) due to a reallocation of resources. All prior research on BB should no longer be relied upon.

Our final rating is EW with a PT of $7. We see Blackberry's risk reward as balanced in the near term as company valuation reflects a relative discount to software peers to account for uncertain traction with new products, with greater skew towards upside in our bull case over the longer term if Blackberry is able to accelerate revenue growth with new products that integrate Cylance technology throughout the existing portfolio. Successful execution would warrant re-rating towards an in-line software valuation (~6-7x software revenue), in our view. However, recent salesforce challenges following reorganization leave us most confident in our base case as we continue to believe the endpoint security software market will be increasingly competitive and the threat of larger software vendors bundling endpoint technology with their product suites is likely to pressure valuation absent consistent outperformance. Additionally, we are lowering our bull case multiple to 6x ($10), which represents a small discount to software peers growing at 20% as we believe discount will be assigned to core EMM business, given more mature growth drivers. We see declining value from Blackberry's IP Licensing portfolio over the longer term as one-time deals ultimately monetize parts of the portfolio, and although the segment has driven upside to numbers of the past few years, we think success with software products would present a more sustainable revenue stream.

We are not forecasting further deterioration in core businesses. Our bear case for Blackberry contemplates continued deterioration in Blackberry's core ESS business, along with challenged Cylance revenue growth and QNX share loss. This would imply Blackberry sales execution struggles worsen over the next few quarters and re-harvesting of existing customers becomes unsuccessful. While we note declining ESS revenue Y/Y over the past few quarters is far from encouraging, we are hesitant to take a more negative view as our conversations with enterprise security resellers note products tend to be sticky and are often renewed, even if alternative solutions are introduced. Our channel conversations also highlighted the importance of an improved EDR (endpoint detection and response) product for Cylance. Blackberry introduced a refreshed Cylance EDR product in CQ4 '19 and, although the product has not impacted results meaningfully to date, reacceleration in Cylance growth from the EDR product and other combined Cylance products is a driver of our bull case. Additionally, we believe QNX deals announced over the past few years remain in the pipeline as revenue has not yet been materially recognized given timing from design win to revenue recognition due to the length of auto design cycles.

Risks to our PT. Upside Risks: 1) QNX growth / adoption exceeds expectations, 2) Cylance outperforms and integration drives ASP growth across products, 3) IP revenue continues to generate upside. Downside Risks: 1) Decline in enterprise software spending, 2) move away from QNX by OEMs in favor of alternate ecosystems, 3) Cylance growth experiences fall-off.
    01-07-20 05:46 PM
    Faucette/MS also discontinuing coverage of MOBL with final Equal-weight rating ($5.50 PT).
    rarsen and _dimi_ like this.
    01-07-20 05:47 PM
    Faucette/MS also discontinuing coverage of MOBL with final Equal-weight rating ($5.50 PT).
    They did win, they were right, and with as little interest in the stock or company that remains, it's clear to see why.

Blackberry posts on Twitter, goes on TV simply to pat Chen on the back, while the business continues to be unwound and shrunk. So much malfeasance it's hard to believe being misled for so many years.

Almost no interest at all in the stock, less than a hundred views per post in a world where cyber security is a necessity, and so many opportunities while the market continues chasing highs and tech outperforms, where's blackberry? In Chen and Watsa's pockets, while Chen goes on Twitter as seldom as he does asking if the market knows about blackberry, what a shame.

Blackberry did become the next Nortel, it's no wonder absolutely noone cares anymore, Chen and Watsa failed in their fiduciary duties and I would opine charges and investigations should be pursued against who can only be described as thieves.
    01-07-20 06:12 PM
    They did win, they were right, and with as little interest in the stock or company that remains, it's clear to see why.

Blackberry posts on Twitter, goes on TV simply to pat Chen on the back, while the business continues to be unwound and shrunk. So much malfeasance it's hard to believe being misled for so many years.

Almost no interest at all in the stock, less than a hundred views per post in a world where cyber security is a necessity, and so many opportunities while the market continues chasing highs and tech outperforms, where's blackberry? In Chen and Watsa's pockets, while Chen goes on Twitter as seldom as he does asking if the market knows about blackberry, what a shame.

Blackberry did become the next Nortel, it's no wonder absolutely noone cares anymore, Chen and Watsa failed in their fiduciary duties and I would opine charges and investigations should be pursued against who can only be described as thieves.
    That's BS...the main reason they are giving up (as will others) is that the doom and gloom scenario they have been pushing and selling has never materialized. This is why more of these morons will give up on BlackBerry.... they got it wrong and are cutting their losses.

This was expected, as far as I'm concerned.
    01-07-20 07:13 PM
    I know that there are different teams working on M&A in these banks... but imagine that a company has approached them to find them a suitable target in the EMM/Cybersecurity space. How ridiculous would it sound if they had a rating of 7 USD, and Morgan Stanley's M&A division would at the same time advise a buyout price of 17 USD......... just speculating of course
    01-08-20 12:08 AM
    I suspect MS is discontinuing coverage on BB in part because of the low prospects for any near term M&A activity from them and their relatively junior standing amongst their peers. There once was some cache' at being a $1 Billion company, but those days are long gone. In Blackberry's case, they have fallen to $1B and is in no way any achievement of note.

I expect we will see more analyst indifference as Blackberry continues to deem mediocre performance as a target.
    01-08-20 10:05 AM
    La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    01-08-20 11:20 AM
    JC:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/black...e_article_view
    Last edited by Corbu; 01-08-20 at 03:07 PM.
    01-08-20 01:44 PM
    does anybody still play options on BB? I'm thinking there's not much play in this anymore.
    01-08-20 01:46 PM
    does anybody still play options on BB? I'm thinking there's not much play in this anymore.
    I suspect the write side makes the most sense here
    kellyweng88 likes this.
    01-08-20 01:51 PM
    kellyweng88, rarsen and dusdal like this.
    01-08-20 03:09 PM
    https://www.autonews.com/ces/blackbe...s-autonomy-ces
    BlackBerry CEO talks competitors, autonomy at CES
    rarsen likes this.
    01-08-20 05:02 PM
    https://ottawacitizen.com/business/l...-second-chance
    After the implosion: BlackBerry's second chance
    01-08-20 08:11 PM
    Happy belated New Year to the BlackBerry Cafe.

I stumbled on a company that I think would fit well with BlackBerry, if non-other than to partner.
    Check them out: ticker is CRNC on Nasdaq. Names is synonymous with Cylance, which is Cerence, strangley enough.

Anyway, good to drop by the thread and glad to see the posts still rolling!

PS - I didn't sell out of my smaller block pre-ER that I use to pay interest bills for my two larger blocks (Lol), so here is to hoping that things hold. As I write this, we are at the devilish 6.66....

Cheers fellas... and Amber?
    01-08-20 08:29 PM
    Happy belated New Year to the BlackBerry Cafe.

I stumbled on a company that I think would fit well with BlackBerry, if non-other than to partner.
    Check them out: ticker is CRNC on Nasdaq. Names is synonymous with Cylance, which is Cerence, strangley enough.

Anyway, good to drop by the thread and glad to see the posts still rolling!

PS - I didn't sell out of my smaller block pre-ER that I use to pay interest bills for my two larger blocks (Lol), so here is to hoping that things hold. As I write this, we are at the devilish 6.66....

Cheers fellas... and Amber?
    Don't give them anymore crazy silly ideas, they can come up with enough of them on their own !

01-09-20 09:43 AM
    RBC:
    https://www.rbcinsight.com/WM/share/...N4GR75hg==&a=a

January 9, 2020

BlackBerry Limited

Highlights from meetings at CES

Our view: We met with BlackBerry and others in the auto software ecosystem at CES this week. BlackBerry appears to have momentum in several auto segments and is addressing emerging opportunities, which help offset near-term headwinds in infotainment. However, BTS/QNX is just one business and stronger growth is needed in several businesses to justify an upwards valuation multiple re-rating. Maintain Sector Perform.

Key points:
    • BlackBerry appears to continue to lead full digital instrument clusters. BlackBerry appears to have an early leading position in full digital instrument clusters, as a result of its safety certified OS and investments in user experience. QNX also appears to have traction in other subsystems in vehicles like telematics, domain controllers and hypervisors. The momentum in full digital instrument clusters reflects BlackBerry’s design wins secured over the last several years, which provides visibility to QNX’s near-term growth.
    • Android and Linux gaining share in infotainment. AGL counts 11 auto OEMs as members; Subaru is launching AGL-based infotainment, joining Toyota and Mazda with AGL-based infotainment in production vehicles. Additionally, a number of automakers are utilizing Android for their infotainment systems. These alternatives are a headwind to BlackBerry’s revenue from infotainment; BlackBerry has been able to offset this headwind as automakers have deployed instrument clusters, hypervisors and other sub-systems using QNX.
    • Automotive cybersecurity is an emerging opportunity. BlackBerry is looking to leverage Cylance’s AI/ML-based products in automotive, such as Cylance Optics and Cylance Persona. BlackBerry’s other assets such as Certicom (encryption) may also be relevant in automotive. While ISO 21434 may be a catalyst for increased cybersecurity within vehicles, material revenue to BlackBerry from cybersecurity may take several years to ramp, in our view.
    • A fragmented, competitive ecosystem. Auto OEMs appear to be willing to support multiple software vendors. As a result, the software ecosystem is fragmented and competitive. For example, while there are multiple QNX modules deployed in the Land Rover Defender, another vendor provides the OTA service. Longer-term, there remains considerable debate among industry participants regarding which platforms would become industry standards, if any. • Stronger growth is needed to justify valuation multiple expansion. BTS/QNX is one of BlackBerry’s most attractive assets, though only accounts for ~21% of TTM revenue. We believe that stronger growth at BTS/QNX and other units is needed to justify material valuation multiple expansion in the stock. BlackBerry is trading at 2.8x FTM EV/S, below enterprise security software peers at 4.0x.
    • Maintain Sector Perform, $7.50 target. Our $7.50 target equates to 2.8x CY21e EV/S. In our sum of the parts, we value ESS at 1.8x CY21e EV/S, BTS at 4.0x, Licensing at 2.0x, and Cylance at 3.5x, plus $598MM net cash.
    01-09-20 11:00 AM
    General positive information:

Has BlackBerry (BB) Outpaced Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year?
    https://old.nasdaq.com/article/has-b...year-cm1263861
    Over the past 90 days, the Zacks Consensus Estimate for BB's full-year earnings has moved 40% higher. This shows that analyst sentiment has improved and the company's earnings outlook is stronger. Based on the most recent data, BB has returned 3.74% so far this year. Meanwhile, stocks in the Computer and Technology group have gained about 2.59% on average.
    Corbu likes this.
    01-10-20 05:59 AM
    Always very little information from TCL

Here’s yet another version of TCL’s foldable phone concept
    https://www.techmirror.info/heres-ye...phone-concept/
    At CES 2020, the company showed off another version of its foldable phone concept. With absolutely no plans to actually manufacture it. “Our intention is to have a foldable device in market this year. But if we get to that point and the experience isn’t meaningful enough, and [we] can’t introduce it at a relatively affordable price, then we have no problem waiting if we need to.” Jason Gerdon, head of global communications at TCL, told Mashable.
    Corbu likes this.
    01-10-20 06:16 AM
    Always very little information from TCL

Here’s yet another version of TCL’s foldable phone concept
    https://www.techmirror.info/heres-ye...phone-concept/
    At CES 2020, the company showed off another version of its foldable phone concept. With absolutely no plans to actually manufacture it. “Our intention is to have a foldable device in market this year. But if we get to that point and the experience isn’t meaningful enough, and [we] can’t introduce it at a relatively affordable price, then we have no problem waiting if we need to.” Jason Gerdon, head of global communications at TCL, told Mashable.
    TCL has got to move over to the Android One program. They don't have the volume necessary for their own software development program for new, current or old devices. Few are going to buy $1200 folding phones or even $500 5G phones that don't get updated or patched in 2020. The big three Chinese companies are doing it for most their devices, Nokia is doing it, as are Apple and Samsung.

2 Years of support is minimum for anything outside of entry level..... for now.

But at this point TCL has nothing to do with BB...
    01-10-20 07:49 AM
    [From one of the world’s top ten law firms]

PART 1

Smartphone Apps for Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram declared patent infringing by German Court

The End of Social Networks?

On 5 December 2019 the Regional Court of Munich ruled that offering and distributing WhatsApp, Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Instagram in its current configuration is prohibited in Germany due to patent infringement. The lawsuit was brought by the Canadian company BlackBerry. The case offers many interesting IP and Tech topics which are worth a closer look, in particular the patentability of software and its effects on Tech offerings in Europe.

BlackBerry's patent infringement proceedings – a patenttroll case?

According to the findings of the Regional Court of Munich (file no. 7 O 5314/18), parts of the software applications Facebook, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and Instagram infringe four patents owned by BlackBerry. Affected are the function "Suggested Friends" and the possibility to send WhatsApp 'chat history' via e-mail. The matter relates to a series of other legal action brought by BlackBerry all across the world.

• In February 2017, BlackBerry sued Nokia for allegedly infringing patents concerning 3G and 4G wireless communications technology.

• In March 2018 a lawsuit was brought against Facebook in the USA, in which BlackBerry claimed the infringement of seven different patents, for instance with regard to the idea of tagging people in photos and getting name suggestions in a search line or providing an app-icon with a counter for the number of unread messages.

• In April 2018 Blackberry also filed a lawsuit against Snapchat (Snap Inc.).

• In February 2019, Blackberry took Twitter to court, accusing it of using software developed by BlackBerry without permission.

These lawsuits gave rise to the suspicion of BlackBerry being a so-called "patent-troll". This term commonly describes non-practicing entities that strategically acquire a large number of patents in order to obtain high royalties from allegedly infringing companies. Patent trolls do not enforce their patents in order to protect their market position against competitors but rather to extract profits. This impression is promoted by BlackBerrys attempt to persuade different companies to pay for the use of its huge amount of patents and no longer producing phones themselves. In this case, the Regional Court of Munich verdict is not yet legally binding and Facebook announced that it is not only planning to appeal to the High Regional Court of Munich but it plans to also resort to the Federal Patent Court to have BlackBerrys patent invalidated. Additionally, Facebook stated that there will be no consequences for the consumer, as it is ready to update its applications to a non-infringing version as soon as necessary. This could be the case as soon as BlackBerry deposits a security of approx. 1.6 million Euro to provisionally enforce the verdict.

Patentability of Software in Germany and Europe

Legal action by Facebook against the protection of BlackBerry's software patents could make sense due to the strict requirements an invention must meet to be granted a patent.

All patents must be (i) new, (ii) involve an inventive step and (iii) must be susceptible of industrial application. Typically, most patent applications are prone to attacks during or after the application process due to the lack of one of the above-mentioned requirements. With regard to software, another issues arises from the statutory provisions in Section 1(3) No. 3 of the German Patent Act (GPA) and the corresponding Art. 52(2) lit. c) of the European Patent Convention (EPC) which state that "programs for computers" shall not be regarded as patentable inventions. Therefore, it is always questionable whether software can be the subject matter of a patent. Essentially, most software are "programs for computers" as this applies to all kinds of computing devices such as smartphones, personal computers, mainframe systems or even autonomous cars and other IoT-devices.

However, this exception only applies to the "computer program as such", not to an underlying invention. It must always be distinguished between mere ideas or mathematical regularities, which cannot be patented in the interest of free use by the society, and technical inventions that may give the inventor a timerestricted monopoly to use and exploit. Software can be protected as part of a so-called "computer implemented invention", which often is at hand if the software directs a technical procedure or apparatus. However, the invention underlying the software has to meet the same requirements as any other invention. Those requirements are that an invention must comprise of an instruction that enables to solve a technical problem using technical methods (e.g. ABS-brake in cars). Consequently, there are many software patents in the context of embedded systems, in particular for autonomous driving solutions or in the software-defined 5G infrastructure. You may also find software patents in the context of Blockchain or Distributed Ledger technology, mainly for cryptographic solutions. However, social media apps as "classic" application software usually are not a common field for patents. This makes the decision highlighted in this article the more interesting.

Long story short, patentability of software must be assessed on case-by-case basis. By now, there is a differentiated case law by the German and European patent offices and courts which has to be taken into account. It always requires a precise legal and technical delimitation to be able to judge whether the respective software is patentable. The owner of a software patent may prohibit not only the identical use, but also equivalent solutions if they are not legitimized by license agreements and royalty payments. As we now witness with BlackBerry, this can be quite a source of revenue.
    01-10-20 09:07 AM
113,250 ... 44024403440444054406 ...