View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I would make the exact same argument as Dalinxz, but on the opposite side which I presume was what Smith's point was. According to Faucette, It was worth $7 four years ago. Concurrently, he says it's also worth $7 today, and no more until it can show traction.
    ..sorry, was short on time but was exactly my point that he had essentially the same comments about wanting to see software traction, valuation, etc. as in 2016.
    Corbu likes this.
    12-26-19 07:17 PM
    Hey smith565, first reference above is recent but the second one not so much. I may of missed the interest of the second one and Faucette is not my favorite reference. Cheers in the New Year.
    Cheers & happy New Year to all. Not a fan of Faucette either, but know that he has been a fixture on the BB calls for a while and a hard opinion to change. Thought it was interesting that much has changed with BlackBerry since 2016, but little has changed in his ratings. Curious why he missed this call also?
    Corbu likes this.
    12-26-19 07:23 PM
    I would make the exact same argument as Dalinxz, but on the opposite side which I presume was what Smith's point was. According to Faucette, It was worth $7 four years ago. Concurrently, he says it's also worth $7 today, and no more until it can show traction. But what about the 100%+ growth in software it has already shown? So how can we take him seriously if he says that Chen taking licensing from $155m in F16, to $286m F19, and a run rate of over $300m currently is all worthless? If 20%+ compounding growth over 4 years doesn't show traction, what does?
    I completely agree that analyst have to "back in to" the current share price and come up with insightful reasons for the valuation. I swear they have a list of canned phrases they cut and paste into articles for publication. As long as they don't use them too close together, all's right with the world and checks roll in.

This is really a result of lazy journalism at its worst. Why don't these "trusted sources" really do the work and look into why the sudden change in adjacent quarters instead of phoning it in.

Let's hope the next quarter is as positive as the this one and end the year substantively in the much crowded but still relevant Billion dollar club !
    Corbu, La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    12-26-19 09:55 PM
    I completely agree that analyst have to "back in to" the current share price and come up with insightful reasons for the valuation. I swear they have a list of canned phrases they cut and paste into articles for publication. As long as they don't use them too close together, all's right with the world and checks roll in.

This is really a result of lazy journalism at its worst. Why don't these "trusted sources" really do the work and look into why the sudden change in adjacent quarters instead of phoning it in.

Let's hope the next quarter is as positive as the this one and end the year substantively in the much crowded but still relevant Billion dollar club !
    You’re observations are on target and due to so much conflicting regulation and litigation. I’ve been in the industry officially 28 years end of January and it’s been that way more or less since I started.

The crash of 1987, the serious recession and bailouts from 87-92, with the impending everything is how we ended up here.
    12-27-19 03:53 PM
    https://investorplace.com/2019/12/bl...ote_news#close

BlackBerry Stock May Finally Be Getting the Respect It Deserves
    12-28-19 03:47 AM
    dear all,
    28th was (and is I suppose) my birthday, and as such, as my present I would like to acknowledge the tireless and thankless work that our all's @Corbu is doing each and every day on this thread. our friend Morgan has been gone a while, and while he is a superstar, Corbu is the one who in my mind is aspiring the most to his level of excellence. thanks Corbu, and thanks to the rest of you amazing people for sticking it out on this thread. a guy couldn't ask for more. (please don't ask Corbu to share his "Norwegian film"..)
    so, in the best spirit of this thread, wherever this message finds you, my best wishes for your health, for the health of those you love and for 2020 to be the year for JCs fruits to.. eh.. bear fruit. (sorry.. English isn't my first language...)
    12-28-19 06:14 PM
    Many thanks Feitalnc!

What a real gentleman you are. But hey, I believe we all do our best here, on this thread. And everyone's contribution matters.

It's been a long and tortuous road. And we don't even yet know whether we'll get to our destination. But this trip will have been worth it thanks to guys like you and so many others. I won't mention any names since we all do our part.

I am sorry Morgan hasn't been around to enlighten us with his knowledge. But we are all thinking of him and wish him nothing but the best. I can think of a few others who were solid members of this thread for the longest time and are no longer around, for one reason or another. We shall carry on with them in our thoughts.

And a happy birthday to you, my friend. Do enjoy those Norwegian delicacies and maybe, one day, we'll all be able to meet you there to celebrate our infamous $100 party (!). Well, maybe we'll settle for less than that sp...

Skål!
    _dimi_, dusdal, La Emperor and 7 others like this.
    12-28-19 06:57 PM
    Totally agree with FeitaInc comment where Corbu contributes greatly to build and better inform everyone, one of the stronger and much appreciated pillars of this group. 'Nyttårshilsener og kalde øl til alle.' (New Year Greetings and cold beer to all).

I also add a general article on AI, where we expect to hear eventually more on the Cylance approach and other increasingly necessary tools:
    8 biggest AI trends of 2020, according to experts
    https://thenextweb.com/artificial-in...3SUJXMqCqSzzsw
    “Already, governments are investing heavily in AI as a possible next competitive front. China has invested over $140 billion, while the UK, France, and the rest of Europe have plowed more than $25 billion into AI programs. The U.S., starting late, spent roughly $2 billion on AI in 2019 and will spend more than $4 billion in 2020. Manaktala added, “But experts urge more investment, warning that the U.S. is still behind. A recent National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence noted that China is likely to overtake U.S. research and development spending in the next decade.
    Corbu, _dimi_, La Emperor and 2 others like this.
    12-28-19 07:25 PM
    Totally agree with FeitaInc comment where Corbu contributes greatly to build and better inform everyone, one of the stronger and much appreciated pillars of this group. 'Nyttårshilsener og kalde øl til alle.' (New Year Greetings and cold beer to all).

I also add a general article on AI, where we expect to hear eventually more on the Cylance approach and other increasingly necessary tools:
    8 biggest AI trends of 2020, according to experts
    https://thenextweb.com/artificial-in...3SUJXMqCqSzzsw
    “Already, governments are investing heavily in AI as a possible next competitive front. China has invested over $140 billion, while the UK, France, and the rest of Europe have plowed more than $25 billion into AI programs. The U.S., starting late, spent roughly $2 billion on AI in 2019 and will spend more than $4 billion in 2020. Manaktala added, “But experts urge more investment, warning that the U.S. is still behind. A recent National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence noted that China is likely to overtake U.S. research and development spending in the next decade.
    The scary part of that number is that $140B goes FAR in China.

But the good news is that number doesn’t include all the private sector money spent on AI. Or all the VC investments made in that area.

Cylance is of course a tiny drop in the AI ocean that is growing weekly. But hopefully it’s a drop worth $10/share. That’s all we need.

(Oh and a reverse split as well so that you can guys can have your $100 party finally )
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 2 others like this.
    12-28-19 08:32 PM
    And another one added to the list:

LifeLabs facing proposed class action over data breach affecting up to 15M clients
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tion-1.5410300
    They allege LifeLabs' failure to adequately safeguard their customers' personal information breached the company's own privacy policy and led to the release of names, addresses, emails, customer logins and passwords, health card numbers and lab test results.
    The class action, which has yet to be certified, asks for more than $1.13 billion in compensation for Lifelabs' clients, who they say experienced repercussions including damage to their credit reputation, wasted time and inconvenience, and mental distress.
    Corbu likes this.
    12-29-19 05:50 PM
    OT general information. Jim Balsillie is part of an investment group bringing back headquarters to Canada, of the company responsible for Canadarm development.

Canadian group to repatriate Canadarm company in $1-billion deal with Maxar
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...cid=spartandhp
    'A consortium led by Northern Private Capital with financial backing from former BlackBerry co-chief executive Jim Balsillie will acquire all Canadian and U.K. operations of the former MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates. Northern Private Capital says the acquisition of MDA is expected to close in 2020 after regulatory approvals are obtained.'
    Last edited by rarsen; 12-30-19 at 03:21 PM.
    12-30-19 02:00 PM
    Happy New Year to all the long suffering Blackberry shareholders and to the many others who participate in this forum. I hope you and your loved ones have a truly great and prosperous 2020.

Let's hope the year sees a much more focused company with better vision and execution.
    Corbu, rarsen, Redzinaldas and 7 others like this.
    01-01-20 09:58 AM
    Happy New Year to all! Best wishes for the upcoming new year
    01-01-20 07:06 PM
    rarsen, W Hoa and La Emperor like this.
    01-02-20 08:10 AM
    Sadly it deals too much with the past and history of BlackBerry.... at some point people have got to get past writing about the history of BlackBerry and just get to the meat of why they could be a big success today. Article really never even touches much on that.

Last paragraph had "Since then we have pivoted from being a hardware company making smartphones, to a software and services company that connects and secures any endpoint. Looking back at the pivot, which was a massive undertaking strategically and operationally, I am in awe of how seamlessly it was done. It would make a great case study for strategic management and leadership programs."

Who is she kidding (good old BlackBerry corporate arrogance is still strong)? If they didn't have the cash to buy Cylance last year, they'd be looking for new jobs this coming year.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-02-20 10:38 AM
    Sadly it deals too much with the past and history of BlackBerry.... at some point people have got to get past writing about the history of BlackBerry and just get to the meat of why they could be a big success today. Article really never even touches much on that.

Last paragraph had "Since then we have pivoted from being a hardware company making smartphones, to a software and services company that connects and secures any endpoint. Looking back at the pivot, which was a massive undertaking strategically and operationally, I am in awe of how seamlessly it was done. It would make a great case study for strategic management and leadership programs."

Who is she kidding (good old BlackBerry corporate arrogance is still strong)? If they didn't have the cash to buy Cylance last year, they'd be looking for new jobs this coming year.
    Why is it arrogance? They DID have the cash to buy Cylance, they DO have a patent portfolio, and they HAVE successfully transitioned from hardware to software. They problem is that the market continues to beat them up over hardware, and not look at the transition. I'd say BlackBerry has every reason to tout their successful turnaround.
    I'd like to see anyone on this forum do better. Too many armchair CEO's here...it's a great view from the cheap seats.
    rarsen, Corbu, _dimi_ and 3 others like this.
    01-02-20 02:07 PM
    I'd like to see anyone on this forum do better. Too many armchair CEO's here...it's a great view from the cheap seats.
    Well said, my friend. Thanks.
    _dimi_, rarsen and Hazo like this.
    01-02-20 02:43 PM
    Why is it arrogance? They DID have the cash to buy Cylance, they DO have a patent portfolio, and they HAVE successfully transitioned from hardware to software. They problem is that the market continues to beat them up over hardware, and not look at the transition. I'd say BlackBerry has every reason to tout their successful turnaround.
    They are making it work. But to say this transition is the thing that business schools will study is absurd. They have a long way to go still; they’ve taken years. Their previous acquisitions have been lukewarm successes at best. And they may still screw up Cylance; we don’t know the ending yet.

So to declare victory and say that business students will study this as some great story is the worst case of big fish, small pond I think I’ve ever seen!

Let’s hope the old RIM hubris is gone and this was just an anomaly. That hubris cost investors many billions of dollars.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-02-20 03:00 PM
    They are making it work. But to say this transition is the thing that business schools will study is absurd. They have a long way to go still; they’ve taken years. Their previous acquisitions have been lukewarm successes at best. And they may still screw up Cylance; we don’t know the ending yet.

So to declare victory and say that business students will study this as some great story is the worst case of big fish, small pond I think I’ve ever seen!

Let’s hope the old RIM hubris is gone and this was just an anomaly. That hubris cost investors many billions of dollars.
    I can see BlackBerry being studied by business students.... more the period before Chen.

That was a statement you make when you are on solid footing and the stock is trading at.... well at least a six year high.

She also stated "The market is now saturated with companies focused on ‘connecting and securing the world’ ...". Do investors need to hear the market that your trying to gain a foothold with Cylance, is already saturated?

I did like the part about "BlackBerry recently launched BlackBerry Intelligent Security, which assumes a starting point of zero trust and then builds a trust score based on various factors. Those factors include, location, user behaviours—are you left- or right-handed, do you move your mouse in a certain way and so on—job function and more. The solution constantly verifies a user identity, not just at the point of entry into the network or application." they are working on lots of new stuff.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    01-02-20 03:34 PM

Sure, it's taking some time, but the growth HAS been slow but steady. Maybe it hasn't been perfect, but Wall Street has its own agenda in making money, and let's not forget about the extent BlackBerry shares have been shorted for years.

You have to admit, even when BlackBerry has made progress, many "analysts" continue to slam the company - not because BlackBerry is failing - but because they have a vested interest in doing so. I would much prefer to see a realistic, balanced evaluation, which we do get from time to time.

Until people change the channel on BlackBerry being about phones, the cynicism and unfair evaluations will continue.

Chen has done well, as far as I'm concerned - irrespective of the haters on this forum - it's the toxicity of the past and the Wall Street agenda that keeps the stock down.

I am a shareholder, and yes - I am pissed - but I believe there is still a huge upside to re-building methodically and not in a knee-jerk reactionary way.
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    01-02-20 05:46 PM
    Sure, it's taking some time, but the growth HAS been slow but steady. Maybe it hasn't been perfect, but Wall Street has its own agenda in making money, and let's not forget about the extent BlackBerry shares have been shorted for years.

You have to admit, even when BlackBerry has made progress, many "analysts" continue to slam the company - not because BlackBerry is failing - but because they have a vested interest in doing so. I would much prefer to see a realistic, balanced evaluation, which we do get from time to time.

Until people change the channel on BlackBerry being about phones, the cynicism and unfair evaluations will continue.

Chen has done well, as far as I'm concerned - irrespective of the haters on this forum - it's the toxicity of the past and the Wall Street agenda that keeps the stock down.

I am a shareholder, and yes - I am pissed - but I believe there is still a huge upside to re-building methodically and not in a knee-jerk reactionary way.
    If I actually believed that, on average, this company was being held back by “the shorts” I would put my money elsewhere. It’s absolutely foolish to fight with big entrenched forces, if you believe they actually control this stock. Why bother?

I think what’s actually happening is that BB has a history of talking big and not delivering. And so the world is waiting for them to prove they can make Cylance work. I believe If they do we can see $15.

But until then the stock is discounted by the reasonable risk that BB will continue to screw up. That’s not some conspiracy. That’s just good sense. And it’s also why there is a nice opportunity for those of us who believe this may be the time they get it right.
    rarsen likes this.
    01-02-20 05:57 PM
    Hey app_Developer, curious to know your thoughts on the evolution of Apps being used in road vehicles. Their potential evolution, increasing complexity and are any back-compatible over time in past or present vehicles?
    01-02-20 06:14 PM
    Hey app_Developer, curious to know your thoughts on the evolution of Apps being used in road vehicles. Their potential evolution, increasing complexity and are any back-compatible over time in past or present vehicles?
    Do you mean via Android Auto or CarPlay?
    rarsen likes this.
    01-03-20 01:29 AM
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300980504.html
    Damon Motorcycles and BlackBerry QNX Revolutionize Motorcycling with the Introduction of Hypersport Pro Electric Superbike

rarsen and La Emperor like this.
    01-03-20 07:25 AM
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300980517.html
    Renovo and BlackBerry QNX to Showcase Award Winning Automotive Data Platform at CES 2020
    rarsen and La Emperor like this.
    01-03-20 07:26 AM
113,256 ... 44004401440244034404 ...