View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    IF only there was someone at BlackBerry who could get in touch with Disney executives  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/19/hack...o-reports.html

Posted via CB10
    If i am not wrong Chen seats on the board of Disney....!! But I may be wrong....
    11-19-19 11:05 AM
    If i am not wrong Chen seats on the board of Disney....!! But I may be wrong....
    He no longer sits on the Disney Board.
    11-19-19 11:12 AM
    This is a bfd!
    Is it? It would be nice if some actual numbers were attached. "Deployed across all areas" could mean anything from each of their 18 port managers getting Cylance on their phone to every single employee, container, and piece of heavy equipment getting RADAR/Cylance/EPM. So a deal worth somewhere between close to 0 and millions.

It doesn't help that it comes out alongside the other statement about Arrival. Again, certainly not bad news, but a small company most people haven't heard of, a ways away from actually shipping anything, and even in that case will likely be orders in the hundreds or thousands doesn't really help. It was kind of like that Swiss(I think?) company that adopted QNX for their non cell phone phone. The absolute best case scenario is likely on the order of $100k.

I think it was Einstein who said something along the lines of "insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results". It should be painfully obvious by this point that the market does not care about these sorts of press releases.

I was thinking it would be nice if BB could do something to really expand their mindshare. Like "Intel inside", damn near everyone knows the slogan, knows the company, but I bet most would be challenged to point out the Intel bits in a computer, or succinctly explain exactly what it does. Even something like a 0.3s screen flash when your car starts up "Secured in real time by BB Jarvis" or something. As Dimi says, it's problematic that despite actively looking for this sort of stuff, I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard Jarvis/Radar/Spark mentioned in the last 2 years outside of BB releases. Contrast that with Crowdstrike/shopify/MOBL/a million others, who despite not looking for, I hear more about in a single day and eclipses what I've heard about BB.
    11-19-19 11:30 AM
    Yeah term limits got him....
    11-19-19 11:32 AM
    Is it? It would be nice if some actual numbers were attached. "Deployed across all areas" could mean anything from each of their 18 port managers getting Cylance on their phone to every single employee, container, and piece of heavy equipment getting RADAR/Cylance/EPM. So a deal worth somewhere between close to 0 and millions.

It doesn't help that it comes out alongside the other statement about Arrival. Again, certainly not bad news, but a small company most people haven't heard of, a ways away from actually shipping anything, and even in that case will likely be orders in the hundreds or thousands doesn't really help. It was kind of like that Swiss(I think?) company that adopted QNX for their non cell phone phone. The absolute best case scenario is likely on the order of $100k.

I think it was Einstein who said something along the lines of "insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results". It should be painfully obvious by this point that the market does not care about these sorts of press releases.

I was thinking it would be nice if BB could do something to really expand their mindshare. Like "Intel inside", damn near everyone knows the slogan, knows the company, but I bet most would be challenged to point out the Intel bits in a computer, or succinctly explain exactly what it does. Even something like a 0.3s screen flash when your car starts up "Secured in real time by BB Jarvis" or something. As Dimi says, it's problematic that despite actively looking for this sort of stuff, I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard Jarvis/Radar/Spark mentioned in the last 2 years outside of BB releases. Contrast that with Crowdstrike/shopify/MOBL/a million others, who despite not looking for, I hear more about in a single day and eclipses what I've heard about BB.
    Yeah these "announcements" are nice... but what they mean is anyone guess. Back in the BB10 days, it became more apparent that some of those wins were staged. BlackBerry donated systems to some non-profits as a tax write off as well as for publicity sake. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their early Cylance wins aren't just for marketing sake as well, it's a good business practice for a company starting out.

Bottom line is the needle has to move to reflect that there are paying wins as well.... I doubt we see it this quarter, but by next quarter the effect should be showing. By the end of this fiscal year, we should know if they are on the right track or not.
    Yasch22 likes this.
    11-19-19 11:45 AM
    Is it? It would be nice if some actual numbers were attached.
    I completely agree with that. The only 'numbers' I could find where of the speculative kind and then only potential losses that may be incurred due to cyber attacks. In the world that ICTSI plays in loss mitigation would be BlackBerry's strong suit. With projected potential losses in the tens of billions of dollars what would people pay to mitigate that possibility.

ICTSI moves the equivalent of 10 million TEU's a year. That's a lot of container traffic to secure.

A cyber attack on Asian ports could cost as much as $110 billion, or half the total global loss from natural catastrophes in 2018, a Lloyd’s of London-backed report said on Wednesday.

Cyber insurance is seen as a growth market by insurance providers such as Lloyd’s, which specializes in covering commercial risks, although take-up in Europe and Asia remains far behind levels in the United States.

The worst-case scenario in the report was based on a simulated cyber attack disrupting 15 ports in Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and China. Some 92% or $101 billion of the total estimated economic costs of such an attack are uninsured, Lloyd’s said.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/30/a-cy...-projects.html
    Corbu, La Emperor, Yasch22 and 1 others like this.
    11-19-19 11:52 AM
    I completely agree with that. The only 'numbers' I could find where of the speculative kind and then only potential losses that may be incurred due to cyber attacks. In the world that ICTSI plays in loss mitigation would be BlackBerry's strong suit. With projected potential losses in the tens of billions of dollars what would people pay to mitigate that possibility.

ICTSI moves the equivalent of 100 million TEU's a year. That's a lot of container traffic to secure.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/30/a-cy...-projects.html
    This is my worst case scenario for Blackberry where they will have to take on an ever increasing level of risk in order to capture a fair measure of market share.

I suspect there will be some cyber security startup that will include a provision in their products to indemnify any losses related to a cyber attack. When this happens, the cyber software market will be radically altered forever.
    11-19-19 12:04 PM
    This is my worst case scenario for Blackberry where they will have to take on an ever increasing level of risk in order to capture a fair measure of market share.
    I disagree. BlackBerry would serve to mitigate losses, not cover them, while at the same time helping to reduce insurance costs. The quote I used was from Lloyd's of London research and risk assessment.
    Last edited by W Hoa; 11-19-19 at 12:35 PM.
    Corbu, Yasch22 and rarsen like this.
    11-19-19 12:18 PM
    I suspect there will be some cyber security startup that will include a provision in their products to indemnify any losses related to a cyber attack. When this happens, the cyber software market will be radically altered forever.
    Risk sharing is fairly common way of increasing revenue for service providers, and as long as nothing happens, margins are good. That said, outsourcing risk is oftentimes very expensive (aka the premium the customer has to pay), and unless the provider can pool the risk of the ever looming threat of non-compliance across a broad range of customers, it’s a very risky play. For this type of a threat, brand damage alone could quickly be a very high number.

I can’t see JC going there unless Spark is absolutely rock solid.

If we were to gameplay a contract with such a clause, at least if I were to enter into it, I would want to reserve the right to lock down all my liabilities to such an extent that it could quickly turn into a tail wagging the dog kind of situation, I.e. that it could effect business operation.

Perhaps a bit on the corporate speech level, aka verbose and vague.
    Yasch22 and rarsen like this.
    11-19-19 12:52 PM
    I disagree. BlackBerry would serve to mitigate losses, not cover them, while at the same time helping to reduce insurance costs. The quote I used was from Lloyd's of London research and risk assessment.
    The standard deviation from the above is unless there’s been willful ignorance or gross negligence On the part of BB, and for JC to remove those..
    11-19-19 12:55 PM
    Techonomy - Day 2

JC: from minute 45 to minute 65

https://techonomy.com/2019/11/techon...-live-webcast/
    FeitaInc, Yasch22, Greened and 1 others like this.
    11-19-19 02:32 PM
    Techonomy - Day 2

JC: from minute 45 to minute 65

https://techonomy.com/2019/11/techon...-live-webcast/
    So he spent less than 20 minutes to regurgitate the same garbage about how the company would have failed without him, how it's been turned around because of him, all throughout stuttering in the entire conversation while acting as some sort of trade expert as the company he's shareholder of sits at 17 year lows after over 8 quarters of absolute share price destruction.

The entire conversation was him making jokes at the expense about the company he's supposed to be saving. Canadian companies really seem to enable this white collar crime that happens here with executives using share based compensation to reward themselves unfairly.

For a company that is looking for customers that have a need for trust, blackberry demonstrates it's not a trustworthy company and that they will put you under the bus for their profit. We have a CEO who's more akin to a dictator and has led the company to failure while blaming the company as being the problem all along. He spent the first 5 years getting that compensation package tagged, when it was it was agreed on by a consulting firm to determine the compensation was fair where BlackBerry who spends millions on auditing fees and other fees, spent less than $30,000 Canadian to get a third party to agree as such. I may be wrong it could have been closer to $16,000 they paid.

Is this guy on drugs?
    11-19-19 02:47 PM
    So he spent less than 20 minutes to regurgitate the same garbage about how the company would have failed without him, how it's been turned around because of him, all throughout stuttering in the entire conversation while acting as some sort of trade expert as the company he's shareholder of sits at 17 year lows after over 8 quarters of absolute share price destruction.

The entire conversation was him making jokes at the expense about the company he's supposed to be saving. Canadian companies really seem to enable this white collar crime that happens here with executives using share based compensation to reward themselves unfairly.

For a company that is looking for customers that have a need for trust, blackberry demonstrates it's not a trustworthy company and that they will put you under the bus for their profit. We have a CEO who's more akin to a dictator and has led the company to failure while blaming the company as being the problem all along. He spent the first 5 years getting that compensation package tagged, when it was it was agreed on by a consulting firm to determine the compensation was fair where BlackBerry who spends millions on auditing fees and other fees, spent less than $30,000 Canadian to get a third party to agree as such. I may be wrong it could have been closer to $16,000 they paid.

Is this guy on drugs?
    He did save BlackBerry.... but in the end there was't much there to generate revenues with other than really QNX. I think without Good their UEM business would have gone away.

Chen's smartest move might have been to not let them offer him a new package and go out on the top. I'm afraid the UEM declines have more to do with the product and less with the sales team. And Cylance isn't a sure fire Golden Goose... it could be with the right efforts. But I'm thinking the competition is just as hard and heavy on having their product win as BlackBerry is. But they have a lot more resources... and I guess better sales teams already.
    elfabio80 and Yasch22 like this.
    11-19-19 03:11 PM
    He no longer sits on the Disney Board.
    So if he did, you’re saying this wouldn’t have occurred?!?!? ;-D
    11-19-19 06:35 PM
    I’m still somewhere in the middle on Chen. I think he wound down the phone business in an orderly way without eating big settlements on the outstanding purchase commitments and giving a good deal of time for the other LOBs to grow. I don’t think they would have survived without good execution there. So credit to him for that.

But after that is where he hasn’t been as strong. Other businesses have taken too long to come together. The lack of good sales, marketing and PR for this many years are bad misses. Also he’s just a really poor communicator and he should have the self awareness to have a good CMO or CRO who can get in front of the cameras with a better message than he is able to convey.

Also, he may have overpaid for Cylance and/or not planned well for what they would do with their new billion dollar asset. We don’t know that yet. Let’s see how that goes.
    11-19-19 06:44 PM

Is this guy on drugs?
    BlackBerry was a trashed and troubled company 12-18 months if not longer, before Chen even got there. Beyond saving the company, he’s been hired to salvage and package the company for possible sale for institutional holders. This is Berkshire Hathaway and Warren 101 duplicated for Canadian economics and business case studies...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-19-19 06:46 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bb-v-snap-settlement-discussions.png

BB vs SNAP

Looks like SNAP is the first one to settle.
    Damages seem to be based-off 4 patents, 2 dismissed, 2 not considered.

Interesting times. Especially with TWTR and FB in discussions for potential settlement
    Corbu, rarsen, FeitaInc and 1 others like this.
    11-19-19 09:13 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB v SNAP - Settlement Discussions.PNG 
Views:	31 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	446761

BB vs SNAP

Looks like SNAP is the first one to settle.
    Damages seem to be based-off 4 patents, 2 dismissed, 2 not considered.

Interesting times. Especially with TWTR and FB in discussions for potential settlement

What type of compensation do you think BlackBerry might be looking at getting for this?

I am wondering if this is materially important from a financial perspective to help boost the stock and replenish the bank account.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-19 10:35 PM
    What type of compensation do you think BlackBerry might be looking at getting for this?

I am wondering if this is materially important from a financial perspective to help boost the stock and replenish the bank account.

Posted via CB10
    I'm hoping for a lump-sum payment of past damages and ongoing royalties.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bb-vs-snap-084-327-.png
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bb-vs-snap-351-929-.png

It looks like part of the patents going forward with the settlement directly relates to how ads are displayed.
    Could be quite significant, especially since this is the monetizing model for social media platforms.

I can't imagine BB letting SNAP get away easily.
    11-19-19 10:51 PM
    PR

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300961646.html
    Canadian Pacific Chooses BlackBerry Radar to Enhance Chassis Visibility

11-20-19 07:25 AM
    PR

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300961646.html
    Canadian Pacific Chooses BlackBerry Radar to Enhance Chassis Visibility
    Considering how small of a deal this is to their bottom line, we once again see that the only PR this company has is pumped out right away for as minor of an achievement - this includes countless never on time 'release announcements', 'promises' often unkept, announcing PowerPoint presentations months out in advance in various venues across the globe (they love building up expenses flying around the world luxuriously), and so on.

Instead not one material revenue generating deal or partnership, partners who don't dare allow blackberry to use their name in PR, missed deadlines, flying around the world giving PowerPoint presentations that don't have any real valuable information that couldn't be made available online in a video or white paper, a clueless CEO who brings on his own friends to get a piece but simply brings more failures on board.

It gets tiring to repeat this, but Chen has eroded any Goodwill remaining in the company, helped alienate every single stakeholder from customer to carrier, to partners (TCL, Optiemus who the hell cares)

Chen is a giant fail, if you still support him after the disaster that is 8 years going and an eggregious compensation to boot - how much is Chen and Watsa paying you?
    elfabio80 and techvisor like this.
    11-20-19 09:59 AM
    Instead not one material revenue generating deal or partnership, partners who don't dare allow blackberry to use their name in PR, missed deadlines, flying around the world giving PowerPoint presentations that don't have any real valuable information that couldn't be made available online in a video or white paper, a clueless CEO who brings on his own friends to get a piece but simply brings more failures on board.
    There is no winning with you, is there.. no “every small stream a river makes” sales grind attitude.

From my years of experience in selling services people may not know they want yet, or you are early in the market cycle, You use what you got and try to push a story. Eventually it will stick or the market comes around. That we’ve heard it for a couple of years doesn’t mean that for some it’s the first time they have heard it. Those people would be potential customers, not angry people on crackberry.

And I didn’t know that you were privy to why some companies choose not to disclose that BB powers their solution Or are a supplier. White labeling is perfectly normal.

It gets tiring to repeat this, but Chen has eroded any Goodwill remaining in the company, helped alienate every single stakeholder from customer to carrier, to partners (TCL, Optiemus who the hell cares)
    If it’s any consolation, I can guarantee it’s twice as tiering to read. If he had done what you said, alienating everyone stakeholder, he would be out.

Chen is a giant fail, if you still support him after the disaster that is 8 years going and an eggregious compensation to boot - how much is Chen and Watsa paying you?
    And why not close out your argument with an ad hominem. Sure..
    Corbu, La Emperor, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    11-20-19 10:31 AM
    Considering how small of a deal this is to their bottom line, we once again see that the only PR this company has is pumped out right away for as minor of an achievement - this includes countless never on time 'release announcements', 'promises' often unkept, announcing PowerPoint presentations months out in advance in various venues across the globe (they love building up expenses flying around the world luxuriously), and so on.

What to me seems most tiring is commentary which has no balance or positivity for ANY actions or announcements. While my frustrations with Blackberry are legion, I (and others on this thread) acknowledge positive actions when appropriate while pointing out failure when appropriate, again in lock step with the company disclosures. Simplistic negativity is both inaccurate and largely unhelpful.

The announced CP deal is a small win for the Radar product but also a large vote of confidence for this technology from an iconic Canadian transportation company. I suspect the transportation industry will note this sale with some positivity and will hopefully influence further sales for this product. However, I still believe the magnitude of this product line will never make a significant contribution to Blackberry's earnings and only provides a distraction from the core business. This business would be better served with a transportation supplier than with an enterprise-grade cyber security software company.

A deal is a deal and should never be viewed as a negative, I just wish they would announce more ESS wins in response to it's recent performance challenges. The share price clearly needs some direction from where it's sitting today at close to its historic lows.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 11-20-19 at 12:20 PM.
    11-20-19 10:34 AM
    What to me seems most tiring is commentary which has no balance or positivity for ANY actions or announcements. While my frustrations with Blackberry are legion, I (and others on this thread) acknowledge positive actions when appropriate while pointing out failure when appropriate, again in lock step with the company disclosures. Simplistic negativity is both accurate and largely unhelpful.

The announced CP deal is a small win for the Radar product but also a large vote of confidence for this technology from an iconic Canadian transportation company. I suspect the transportation industry will note this sale with some positivity and will hopefully influence further sales for this product. However, I still believe the magnitude of this product line will never make a significant contribution to Blackberry's earnings and only provides a distraction from the core business. This business would be better served with a transportation supplier than with an enterprise-grade cyber security software company.

A deal is a deal and should never be viewed as a negative, I just wish they would announce more ESS wins in response to it's recent performance challenges. The share price clearly needs some direction from where it's sitting today at close to its historic lows.
    They clearly misled investors, even the Cylance purchase resulted in Chen outright lying to shareholders. Claiming the multiple was no more than 6* revenue, they paid $1.4 Billion all cash (why not stock/cash mix), at about 110M revenue, so he paid almost 12* rev multiple.

Disastrous.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-20-19 11:41 AM
    He's not on any board any more, he damaged his own reputation, no one but Watsa wants this senile greedy pig attached to their company. Chen no longer advises the president on US-China relations, doesn't sit on Disney BOD, no longer on Wells Fargo BOD. No surprise when this bafoon has only caused massive destruction in share value.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-20-19 11:43 AM
113,256 ... 43904391439243934394 ...