702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Is anyone subscribed to this website?

https://www.iam-media.com/litigation...ap-and-twitter
    Corbu likes this.
    11-07-19 11:35 AM
    Thanks for the update.

Previous COO, Marty Beard, left in 2017 to attend to family health matter, according to Reuter. I could not locate any press release on Blackberry's investor relations website regarding it. Perhaps Santosh Rao was mixing the 2 COOs?
    Marty Beard now lives in the San Diego area and within the last year or so, co founded a new tech startup.
    From his Twitter account description:
    "The latest media Tweets from Marty Beard (@ martyjbeard). Co-Founder & CEO of @alwaysAI - working to bring Deep Learning Computer Vision to the Edge."
    11-07-19 12:24 PM
    Thanks for the update.

Previous COO, Marty Beard, left in 2017 to attend to family health matter, according to Reuter. I could not locate any press release on Blackberry's investor relations website regarding it. Perhaps Santosh Rao was mixing the 2 COOs?
    But then Marty went and started up a new AI company for IoT devices within a year. That has to be as time consuming as working for BB. Maybe the family health issue was quickly resolved?

My guess is Marty wasn't getting anywhere with BlackBerry and wanted to do something else and he left... Bryan Palma is probable the same, he just needs a better "challenge".....
    techvisor likes this.
    11-07-19 12:27 PM
    Eye candy for general information (one of the more interesting "quid pro quo" for some):

1968 Morgan Plus 8
    Year: 1968 Sold For: £100,000*
    Attachment 446655

This marvelously designed wonder was arguably the Morgan Motor Company’s most successful product on the market. Morgan produced the Plus 8 for decades, eventually bringing it back in 2012 for a limited run.

From the look of its iconic chassis (which was actually based on the Plus 4), it’s easy to see why it was such a pillar of Morgan’s success. Early models were installed with a 3.5-litre V8, which was soon increased to 3.9 litres, and then 4.6 litres.

Beyond the UK, the Plus 8 eventually found a huge audience in America. This was largely thanks to Morgan’s adaptation of a propane fuel system to meet emissions laws in the United States. Morgan’s chairman reportedly oversaw the Plus 8’s design himself.
    How much QNX is found in this version?
    FeitaInc likes this.
    11-07-19 02:05 PM
    I wouldn’t put it past Q to have put some X in at least one of those, but in terms of revnue, that’s as low a N as one comes, but hey..

That comment would’ve made so much more sense if James Bond actually had driven one.
    rarsen and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    11-07-19 03:35 PM
    Long-term participants on this site will have recognized the tongue-in-cheek reference to our longtime and much appreciated contributor “morganplus8” who has recently been missing-in-action (known to have some health issues). We all know that he loves Morgan cars and hope showing a picture of the beauty might maybe, just maybe contribute to attract him back. So QNX might not have existed when they started building Morgan cars, but this deeply respected financial guru and regular good guy, is the prime reason having attracted many past and present financial contributors of BB and QNX to this Web site. He invested quite large sums in BB and QNX not only for financial reasons, but also in his belief of the Brand we love.

So answering your question, there is strong link between a QNX knowledgeable & valuable BB contributor that happens to love Morgan cars. And we hope that he is well and we can appreciate again having valuable deep analysis and significant contributions to our investment interests.
    11-07-19 05:41 PM
    Long-term participants on this site will have recognized the tongue-in-cheek reference to our longtime and much appreciated contributor “morganplus8” who has recently been missing-in-action (known to have some health issues). We all know that he loves Morgan cars and hope showing a picture of the beauty might maybe, just maybe contribute to attract him back. So QNX might not have existed when they started building Morgan cars, but this deeply respected financial guru and regular good guy, is the prime reason having attracted many past and present financial contributors of BB and QNX to this Web site. He invested quite large sums in BB and QNX not only for financial reasons, but also in his belief of the Brand we love.

So answering your question, there is strong link between a QNX knowledgeable & valuable BB contributor that happens to love Morgan cars. And we hope that he is well and we can appreciate again having valuable deep analysis and significant contributions to our investment interests.
    I’m aware but the reference was tongue in cheek on my part as well since I read still produced limited run in 2012 so.... I commented last week about his status as it’s been longer than usual
    rarsen, FeitaInc and La Emperor like this.
    11-07-19 06:07 PM

On the plus side, thought I would mention that if you click on people's profiles, it will show when they were last active, and in the case of our friend Morgan, it says he was last active yesterday, so he's at least around, if for what ever reason remaining quiet in this current stormy season.

This is better than when I checked a few months ago after the extended absence was initially noticed, where it appeared he hadn't logged in for several months.
    rarsen, Corbu, Redzinaldas and 8 others like this.
    11-08-19 05:16 AM
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/430...-says-time-buy
    BlackBerry: Common Sense Says It's Time To Buy

Gio Danisi

Interesting read.
    11-08-19 09:35 AM
    https://www.iam-media.com/defensive-...s-theres-still

Blackberry portfolio licensor inks RPX agreement and insists there’s still plenty more deals to do

RPX and the licensing platform Fundamental Innovation Systems International (FISI), have announced that they have struck a deal to license a subset of the defensive aggregator’s members to FISI’s portfolio. The agreement also gives RPX the right, for a limited time, to sub-license additional, currently unlicensed entities.

Following the announcement, Apple - an RPX member - and FISI announced that they had settled pending litigation between them. The iPhone maker had sued in February, asking a Northern California court for a declaratory judgement of non-infringement, while FISI had accused the company of infringing on five patents in district court in East Texas (that was subsequently moved to Northern California).

FISI was launched a few years ago with money from the private equity player Centerbridge Partners, which financed the acquisition of a portfolio of around 200 granted patents and applications from Blackberry. The assets relate to USB charging technology and, as we wrote back in early 2016, the original deal could be worth as much as $50 million to the Canadian tech giant.

The agreement means that there are now 34 licensees to the portfolio with a marked uptick in deals after Samsung settled with FISI in July last year. As we reported at the time, that settlement also coincided with a change of control at the licensing platform with a team of former IPValue execs, led by Paul Seaman, taking over responsibility for the portfolio from TnT IP.

While the last 18 months has seen significant licensee growth, in a call with IAM Seaman insisted that there are plenty more deals to be done.
    “There are hundreds of potential licensees still out there,” he said, pointing to sectors such as aviation, automotive and power tool manufacturing as possible sources of further agreements. “The innovations that were developed by Blackberry are being used everywhere,” he added.
    Seaman highlighted the impact that the Samsung deal, and subsequent agreements with other device manufacturing giants, had had on FISI’s recent progress: “We picked up a lot of momentum after the Samsung, LG and Huawei deals, and now that we have settled with Apple we think that’s going to continue. With 34 licensees, clearly there’s industry recognition of the value of the portfolio.”

With those deals and a relatively impressive track record at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (in 29 petitions FISI is yet to see a claim knocked out) it would appear that the quality of the portfolio is now not in question. The licensing business is still in litigation with ZTE - oral arguments in that case are due to be heard in Northern Texas in December - but it would be surprising not to see further licensees sign up as part of the RPX agreement and then future deals with non-RPX members put in place.
    11-08-19 12:48 PM
    Anyone recall whether BB maintains a residual claim to the USB patents they would've transferred?
    11-08-19 01:19 PM
    I bought some more stock yesterday, for that very same reason. Reallocating some funds from EYPT to BB seemed a bit strange, as the former has been performing well recently, but it seemed to be the right thing to do all things considered. Time will tell.
    hm.. didn't see that EYPT drop coming. that said, didn't look for it either. regardless, the reallocation seems to not have been the worst move I've done. for now that is.

in others news, and to echo (tango?) the others, hope everybody's doing great, especially our missing captain M8!
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    11-08-19 01:44 PM
    Anyone recall whether BB maintains a residual claim to the USB patents they would've transferred?
    Possibly, according to this report: PatentVue by Envision IP

"In December 2015, BlackBerry sold a portfolio of USB power patents to a company backed by Centerbridge Partners for $30 million. BlackBerry stands to share in any recoverables from Centerbridge’s efforts."
    11-08-19 05:15 PM
    To put and end to this debate.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/bl...psdown~1821811

BlackBerry's Bryan Palma steps down
    Santosh Rao, head of research at Manhattan Venture Partners, joins BNN Bloomberg to weigh in on Blackberry president and COO Bryan Palma's decision to leave the company after less than a year. Editor’s note: Santosh Rao mistakenly claimed in this interview Bryan Palma left BlackBerry “for health reasons.” Palma subsequently told BNN Bloomberg that claim is “categorically false.” At the time his departure was disclosed, BlackBerry said it was to “pursue other opportunities.”
    11-08-19 10:00 PM
    To put and end to this debate.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/bl...psdown~1821811

BlackBerry's Bryan Palma steps down
    Santosh Rao, head of research at Manhattan Venture Partners, joins BNN Bloomberg to weigh in on Blackberry president and COO Bryan Palma's decision to leave the company after less than a year. Editor’s note: Santosh Rao mistakenly claimed in this interview Bryan Palma left BlackBerry “for health reasons.” Palma subsequently told BNN Bloomberg that claim is “categorically false.” At the time his departure was disclosed, BlackBerry said it was to “pursue other opportunities.”
    This is one of my pet peeves with this stock, well I guess with the media in general now a days. People on both sides, hear a completely unsubstantiated rumour, or random musings on stock twits, or statements devoid of any context, and because it lines up nicely with their narrative, they run with it full steam making zero effort to fact check. It gets picked up by someone slightly more credible, and then it's basically in the press, despite the fact that no one can find any original source material.

Previous guy did leave for health reasons, maybe he got confused. But to run with these statements, even when it becomes obvious that the source is an outlier and more and more likely mistaken does nothing but obfuscate the truth.

It's like when Chen was asked several years ago about selling the company in an interview, he replied with standard "not really, but have to look out for the shareholders blah blah blah", then the interviewer clarified, "so not actively looking but never off the table", to which he replied with a quip along the lines of "well if someone offered $100/shr, I'd probably call them back". In some circles this has morphed into "Chen refuses to sell for less than $100shr".

Incredibly frustrating. Especially for a stock that provides more than enough reasons to be frustrated with it without trying.
    rarsen, Corbu and EchoTango like this.
    11-09-19 06:23 AM
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...RdYOj2VdwnuKwa
    Carbonite To Be Acquired by OpenText for $23.00 Per Share

11-11-19 07:37 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-field-poppies_x.jpg

100th Armistice Day since World War One
    rarsen, W Hoa, smithm565 and 2 others like this.
    11-11-19 08:38 AM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    On the plus side, thought I would mention that if you click on people's profiles, it will show when they were last active, and in the case of our friend Morgan, it says he was last active yesterday, so he's at least around, if for what ever reason remaining quiet in this current stormy season.

This is better than when I checked a few months ago after the extended absence was initially noticed, where it appeared he hadn't logged in for several months.
    11-11-19 11:26 AM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    With bbry, sphs, and eypt all tanking badly .... he ... probably does not want to respond, lol.... lots of bag holders atm....
    techvisor likes this.
    11-11-19 11:28 AM
    With bbry, sphs, and eypt all tanking badly .... he ... probably does not want to respond, lol.... lots of bag holders atm....
    Might just be some RSS Reader on his system that is polling CrackBerry from time to time.
    11-11-19 11:43 AM
    Might just be some RSS Reader on his system that is polling CrackBerry from time to time.
    Or it could be Mrs Morgan checking in to see if @bbjdog is still routing for her.
    Corbu, rarsen and Greened like this.
    11-11-19 12:11 PM
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...RdYOj2VdwnuKwa
    Carbonite To Be Acquired by OpenText for $23.00 Per Share
    All the big tech companies want a cybersecurity company like some trendy exotic pet.

It's still unclear if these investments will pay off and I'm including Blackberry in that thought. At this point, Cylance is competing in the crowded desktop market with Blackberry integrating the AI into the enterprise products. Given this duality of purpose, I believe Blackberry will get more value for it's security acquisition than most.

Of course, we can't rule out Blackberry's not insignificant skills at grasping failure from the jaws of victory.
    11-11-19 12:41 PM
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300954582.html

ETAS and BlackBerry QNX Announce Cooperation for Software Platform Based on AUTOSAR Adaptive
    11-12-19 04:29 AM
    Of course, we can't rule out Blackberry's not insignificant skills at grasping failure from the jaws of victory.
    This line never gets old
    11-12-19 06:27 PM
    More on this:

https://canada.autonews.com/technolo...sch-subsidiary

"The opportunity for us within the vehicle has gone from maybe two modules to seven or eight modules," BlackBerry senior vice-president John Wall said.
    Corbu, W Hoa, smithm565 and 1 others like this.
    11-13-19 09:22 AM
113,256 ... 43874388438943904391 ...