View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT ongoing trade war results, seems from memory Trump had promised Americans would get so tired of winning, winning and winning:

Trump's trade war with China is leaving tech with a growing tab, trade group warns
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/trumps...24037827013043
    07-18-19 10:08 AM
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9...re-is-goodware

Hopefully Chen or BB will release a statement or comment on this when he returns from vacation
    07-18-19 11:59 AM

Hopefully Chen or BB will release a statement or comment on this when he returns from vacation
    That doesn't sound good.
    07-18-19 12:18 PM
    That doesn't sound good.
    In the end, Ashkenzy doesn’t think Cylance is at fault for using machine learning, just for hyping it and relying on it so heavily for detection.

“I actually think they did a decent job applying current AI technology to security,” he told Motherboard. “It just has inherent flaws, like the possibility of having an exploitable bias which becomes a global bypass with a costly fix.”
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    07-18-19 12:37 PM
    07-18-19 01:02 PM
    In the end, Ashkenzy doesn’t think Cylance is at fault for using machine learning, just for hyping it and relying on it so heavily for detection.

“I actually think they did a decent job applying current AI technology to security,” he told Motherboard. “It just has inherent flaws, like the possibility of having an exploitable bias which becomes a global bypass with a costly fix.”
    I loaded Cylance on our computers. These had Norton on them already and I did not remove Norton. They don't inflict with each other as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 07-18-19 at 01:22 PM.
    07-18-19 01:02 PM
    Thanks Corbu, was just getting ready to post that. His current company that was started in Jan. 2019 and the company he was a VP up until 2019, XM Cyber are direct competitors to Cylance. Would have been nice of the author to add that little disclaimer?

https://au.linkedin.com/in/adiash
    Corbu, Sigewif, dusdal and 1 others like this.
    07-18-19 01:06 PM
    [QUOTE=Corbu;13418938]https://skylightcyber.com/2019/07/18...ce-i-kill-you/

We believe that the solution lies in a hybrid approach. Using AI/ML primarily for the unknown, but verifying with tried and tested techniques used in the legacy world. This is really just another implementation of the defense in depth concept, applied to the endpoint protection world.

I think he's describing BB which has a diverse emm portfolio rather than CRWD which is much more reliant on a single emm solution.
    07-18-19 01:23 PM
    Thanks Corbu, was just getting ready to post that. His current company that was started in Jan. 2019 and the company he was a VP up until 2019, XM Cyber are direct competitors to Cylance. Would have been nice of the author to add that little disclaimer?

https://au.linkedin.com/in/adiash
    Hmmm...
    Corbu likes this.
    07-18-19 01:24 PM
    I loaded Cylance on our computers. These had Norton on them already and I did not remove Norton. They don't inflict with each other as far as I can tell.
    Hey Sigewif,

Since you have a practical real-life experience with the product, do let us know how you feel it is turning out, when you have a moment. Thanks in advance.
    W Hoa and rarsen like this.
    07-18-19 01:29 PM
    Well, going on Fear vs. Greed here, I decided to jump in with an extra block of shares. The SP dropped past by limit, but at least my overall average is looking pretty good at 11.36 CDN now. As long as it is lower then Prem's then I have some confidence in this thing.

Let's see what happens with BlackBerry rebuttal on the Cylance 'hack' and also see where the next lawsuit news brings us.

Could be a real nail-biting summer.
    I just added a buckle and chin strap to my tinfoil spinner hat, so I think I am good.
    Sigewif, rarsen and rampagingpanda like this.
    07-18-19 01:49 PM
    Hey Sigewif,

Since you have a practical real-life experience with the product, do let us know how you feel it is turning out, when you have a moment. Thanks in advance.
    So far Cylance has been very unintrusive. I just loaded it on a 2nd computer. That computer has Norton on it as well. Norton was averting an attack that would sometimes come when using it for processing online shipments. Norton would protect the computer from the attack, but the computer would slow way down and sometimes I would have to reboot it. I am hoping that Cylance will make it so the threat doesn't get far enough to cause the time consuming slow down. In a few weeks I will know better how it is functioning and will report back.
    Corbu, La Emperor, W Hoa and 3 others like this.
    07-18-19 01:58 PM
    Much appreciated.
    Sigewif and rarsen like this.
    07-18-19 01:59 PM

A 'verified Cylance employee' on Reddit responded here https://www.reddit.com/r/Cylance/com...aw_in_protect/

"BlackBerry Cylance is aware that an unvalidated potential bypass has been publicly disclosed by researchers without prior notification. Our research and development teams are looking into whether the issue is a true bypass or due to some misconfiguration of the product on the researchers part or other similar factors. If the bypass is determined valid, remediation efforts will occur immediately. More information will be provided as soon as it is available."
    07-18-19 02:26 PM
    Well, going on Fear vs. Greed here, I decided to jump in with an extra block of shares. The SP dropped past by limit, but at least my overall average is looking pretty good at 11.36 CDN now. As long as it is lower then Prem's then I have some confidence in this thing.

Let's see what happens with BlackBerry rebuttal on the Cylance 'hack' and also see where the next lawsuit news brings us.

Could be a real nail-biting summer.
    I just added a buckle and chin strap to my tinfoil spinner hat, so I think I am good.
    In my case I'm at the point where previously I've bought back in at the "low" only to see it hit new lows over and over again. All this in an era where supposedly the post-handset "new strategy" should be finally producing results. Instead we have continued poor performance with the attendant deflating share price. I can't believe Chen isn't in private having all out panic attacks or at least questioning his own thinking. There really needs to be a rebalancing of priorities to focus less on building the future and to begin to show some profits from the current revenue streams.

I have made a recent personal decision to cease adding more funds to purchase even more BBRY shares by way of capping my personal investment risk in this stock. So now, I'm stuck watching my portfolio value drop to unspeakable levels.

Frustration has simply become the norm.
    smithm565, elfabio80 and techvisor like this.
    07-18-19 02:39 PM
    I am wondering if the Cylance bypass was an investigation (hit-piece) funded by Crowdstrike or....? all too convenient that CRWD is reporting results today? I'm sure they'll be happy to refer to it during their conference call.
    FeitaInc, smithm565 and Corbu like this.
    07-18-19 03:20 PM
    Exactly. Chen is laughing all the way to the bank. The above is from his frigging own reports. That means if he were to convert, he's down over $500m. Obviously he won't convert if it's below $10, so add back in the 50m shares * $3 differential now to represent the $500m he'll get repaid, and he's only down a paltry $350m. I knew that crafty bugger was up to something. You played everyone Prem.

I'm all for reasonable discussion, and I'm hardly the greatest cheerleader of Chen and certainly not the stock performance, but to prattle on over and over and over again about how there's some giant conspiracy to make Prem rich at the expense of everyone else, when in truth he's likely the *single biggest losing shareholder on a dollar basis* in this company makes you sound foolish.
    Looking at it as black and white doesn't cut it. There's more that trickles into prems cost basis that is ALWAYS neglected in the final count.

350 million has been recovered in debt payments, 88 million as a penalty paid to retire 600 million of that debt early, Prem and company recovered 4 years interest on that 600 million within 3 years., Blackberry in its " on the brink of bankruptcy" state, managed to come up with that money early, destroying the near term prospects of a ailing company even further, so prem could save himself on a poor investment and live up to his Warren buffet moniker.

The conspiracy lyes with the issuance of the debt. Follow the money,, without skimming over a giant portion of it and the reasoning behind it.

And yes, I would be chuckling, every step of the way, as is Prem.

Take a listen to the June 17 conference call, where Chen deals with the billi from Qualcomm and quickly dis purses 300 million of so called"excess capital" ,those are Chens words. Sounds like they stayed up all night trying to come up with a term that would fly. Nice try Chen

Whose left to pay the bill?, the common shareholder who (hold on to your hat) didn't do their due dilligence". It's a joke, run by a bunch of joksters, and to think that after all that, people still defend their dealings as upfront and within reason.
    Get a grip.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by abwan11; 07-18-19 at 05:55 PM.
    07-18-19 04:36 PM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    In my case I'm at the point where previously I've bought back in at the "low" only to see it hit new lows over and over again. All this in an era where supposedly the post-handset "new strategy" should be finally producing results. Instead we have continued poor performance with the attendant deflating share price. I can't believe Chen isn't in private having all out panic attacks or at least questioning his own thinking. There really needs to be a rebalancing of priorities to focus less on building the future and to begin to show some profits from the current revenue streams.

I have made a recent personal decision to cease adding more funds to purchase even more BBRY shares by way of capping my personal investment risk in this stock. So now, I'm stuck watching my portfolio value drop to unspeakable levels.

The strategy of averaging down just doesn't work with this company...I cut my losses in December and invested in msft, Visa, amazon...sometimes you just need to move on... with this company it was always next quarter, next quarter... Opportunity cost of holding this company like Linus waiting in the pumpkin patch... it doesn't seem to do anything really well....including phones...

Posted via CB10
    07-18-19 07:23 PM
    The strategy of averaging down just doesn't work with this company...I cut my losses in December and invested in msft, Visa, amazon...sometimes you just need to move on... with this company it was always next quarter, next quarter... Opportunity cost of holding this company like Linus waiting in the pumpkin patch... it doesn't seem to do anything really well....including phones...

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately BlackBerry stock is a trade and not an investment. Painful few years to say the least.
    07-18-19 07:33 PM
    Looking at it as black and white doesn't cut it. There's more that trickles into prems cost basis that is ALWAYS neglected in the final count.

350 million has been recovered in debt payments, 88 million as a penalty paid to retire 600 million of that debt early, Prem and company recovered 4 years interest on that 600 million within 3 years., Blackberry in its " on the brink of bankruptcy" state, managed to come up with that money early, destroying the near term prospects of a ailing company even further, so prem could save himself on a poor investment and live up to his Warren buffet moniker.

The conspiracy lyes with the issuance of the debt. Follow the money,, without skimming over a giant portion of it and the reasoning behind it.

And yes, I would be chuckling, every step of the way, as is Prem.

Take a listen to the June 17 conference call, where Chen deals with the billi from Qualcomm and quickly dis purses 300 million of so called"excess capital" ,those are Chens words. Sounds like they stayed up all night trying to come up with a term that would fly. Nice try Chen

Whose left to pay the bill?, the common shareholder who (hold on to your hat) didn't do their due dilligence". It's a joke, run by a bunch of joksters, and to think that after all that, people still defend their dealings as upfront and within reason.
    Get a grip.

Posted via CB10
    While you can never be positive, but most likely when he talks about the current diluted average of [email protected], that includes any benefit from the debentures.

I'm not sure if debentures fall into the realm of options, but typically when you earn premiums it's common to take that income and use it to reduce your book value.

Given that previous reports said they had their original 50m shares at ~17 and change, and now if you do the math by assuming the debentures get repaid it works out to ~14 and change, that's a decrease in book value of about $150m. To me that would imply 500m for 3 years at 6% (90m) plus 3 years at 4% (60m). The numbers just seem to work too well for it to imply it's not already accounted for.

Finally BB paid $84m to redeem the debt early, but Fairfax only held 500m of that 1.2b, so their share would have been around 40%, or maybe $35m or so.

Regardless, even if you assume it isn't taken into account, the absolute best case scenario using the rosy picture you're painting is him being down close to 200m today, along side 10 years of dead money for what it his company's largest holding. That's if it hasn't been taken into account, which I feel may be the case.
    07-18-19 10:22 PM

I was warning you about this years ago. I feel truly sorry but imagine this: by buying stock you had to stay home one afternoon. If you didn’t buy it and went out, you would have been robbed on the street and shot dead. This is not meant as a joke, it is serious: you never know what would have happened otherwise. You are still alive and gained a lot of knowledge in the process. That is worth something at least. Hang in there!
    Sigewif likes this.
    07-19-19 03:53 AM
    While you can never be positive, but most likely when he talks about the current diluted average of [email protected], that includes any benefit from the debentures.

I'm not sure if debentures fall into the realm of options, but typically when you earn premiums it's common to take that income and use it to reduce your book value.

Given that previous reports said they had their original 50m shares at ~17 and change, and now if you do the math by assuming the debentures get repaid it works out to ~14 and change, that's a decrease in book value of about $150m. To me that would imply 500m for 3 years at 6% (90m) plus 3 years at 4% (60m). The numbers just seem to work too well for it to imply it's not already accounted for.

Finally BB paid $84m to redeem the debt early, but Fairfax only held 500m of that 1.2b, so their share would have been around 40%, or maybe $35m or so.

Regardless, even if you assume it isn't taken into account, the absolute best case scenario using the rosy picture you're painting is him being down close to 200m today, along side 10 years of dead money for what it his company's largest holding. That's if it hasn't been taken into account, which I feel may be the case.
    It's a dirty deal, anyway you cut it. If you get robbed pointing out how much was stolen is beside the point, it's a theft. The market didn't miss it, the price was adjusted to account for it. If it was a dollar and it wiped out confidence what is the true cost?

The company needed a CEO with a clear unhindered objective to rebuild and recover. The company didn't need another problem. They didn't need to roll out the red carpet for a rogue insider with loads of personal interests. It's an obvious conflict.

If the poor get burned it's "oh well", but if the rich get burned, watch out, there's hell to be paid, upfront.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-19 06:26 AM

BlackBerry formal response:

https://threatvector.cylance.com/en_...al-bypass.html

"BlackBerry® Cylance® is aware that a bypass has been publicly disclosed by security researchers. We have verified there is an issue with CylancePROTECT® which can be leveraged to bypass the anti-malware component of the product.

Our research and development teams have identified a solution and will release a hotfix automatically to all customers running current versions in the next few days.

More information will be provided as soon as it is available."
    FeitaInc, Corbu, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    07-19-19 07:06 AM
    It's a dirty deal, anyway you cut it. If you get robbed pointing out how much was stolen is beside the point, it's a theft. The market didn't miss it, the price was adjusted to account for it. If it was a dollar and it wiped out confidence what is the true cost?

The company needed a CEO with a clear unhindered objective to rebuild and recover. The company didn't need another problem. They didn't need to roll out the red carpet for a rogue insider with loads of personal interests. It's an obvious conflict.

If the poor get burned it's "oh well", but if the rich get burned, watch out, there's hell to be paid, upfront.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the input.

I’d appreciate it if you moved future comments on this very topic to the armchair CEO part of the forum.
    rarsen likes this.
    07-19-19 07:50 AM
    OT for those interested in Security:

AI, quantum computing and 5G could make criminals more dangerous than ever, warn police
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/ai-qua...24037827013043
    For example, AI is detailed as a technology that could benefit law enforcement by helping to improve the security of systems and devices.
    Quantum computing is also identified as a potential risk to the cybersecurity of citizens. "Malicious actors in possession of a quantum computer would have the opportunity to break traditional security standards, orchestrate far more sophisticated cyberattacks, or decrypt information and communications," the report warns.
    There are also concerns around 5G mobile connectivity, due to the challenges it could provide for law enforcement. The rise of the Internet of Things has already caused security issues – such as the Mirai botnet – but there's a fear that as more and more IoT devices enter homes and workplaces, the insecurity in them could prove extremely lucrative for them.
    07-19-19 10:23 AM
113,250 ... 43504351435243534354 ...