View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    05-01-19 07:22 AM
    Some eye candy for morganplus8 and request for a general comment on Moving Average Cross for BB:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/enth...n=true#image=4
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-morganplus-car-bbuofw5.jpg
    Last edited by rarsen; 05-01-19 at 07:24 PM.
    05-01-19 10:57 AM
    Nice!
    morganplus8 and Greened like this.
    05-01-19 12:25 PM
    Not withstanding the fore mentioned,
    I propose that it becomes law to utilize BlackBerry Secure software utilities in any and all IoT and EoT functions, beginning this day.

Further, this said new law will encompass a child clause, stating that those who deviate from new said law, with be thrashed to death with a shubbery, suitable for such purpose.

All in favor?
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 05-02-19 at 10:28 PM.
    Corbu, rarsen, smithm565 and 3 others like this.
    05-01-19 12:51 PM
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/could-y...es-2019-05-01/

Could your data and devices be held for ransom by cybercriminals?

The FBI says anyone on the internet should expect to be attacked by cybercriminals. "60 Minutes" reports. Sunday at 7 p.m. ET/PT

"It is surprisingly easy to get the tools needed to commit these crimes says Tom Pace, vice president of Blackberry-Cylance, a leading security firm. Ransomware, the malware used by the cybercriminals, can be rented online from websites on the darknet that not only maintain the malware's architecture but also provide a chat room to answer criminals' questions. It also gets a commission if the victim pays. Pace demonstrates for Pelley how he can go to the site and encrypt a file of his own in just over five minutes. "Off the shelf. Ready to go," he says.

Central to the success of the malware ransom is perpetrators don't ask for too much money. "Everybody doesn't have millions to pay, right? So finding the sweet spot and sticking to it has worked well," Pace tells Pelley. The $55,000 Hancock paid seems to be a common figure. A small town in Alabama and the city of Atlanta were asked to pay like amounts when their data was held. The small town, Leeds, was able to bargain it down to $8,000; Atlanta refused to pay and spent $20 million recovering from the attack and upgrading its systems, but not without losing some significant data."

60 Minutes - This Sunday
    05-01-19 02:22 PM
    I've been following BB a lot more intently over the last few weeks, possibly due to frustration over the price despite good news. The cognitive dissonance in my brain of a stronger and stronger company that's being rewarded with a weaker and weaker share price needs reconciling. Here's a bit more, so lets see how the market reacts.

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/...ook,_Inc_et_al

Basically is an update to the lawsuit yesterday from FB.

"NOTICE Withdrawing Pre-Institution Motion to Stay in View of Court's Guidance filed by Defendants Facebook, Inc., Instagram, LLC, Snap Inc, WhatsApp Inc.. (Keefe, Heidi) "
    Just got around to reading this filing. Here is the full text:

"On April 16, Defendants Facebook, Inc., WhatsApp Inc., and Instagram, LLC (collectively, the “Facebook Defendants”) and Snap Inc. (“Snap”) filed a motion to stay pending inter partes review institution decisions by the Patent Office. (Dkt. 161-1.) All asserted claims are subject to pending petitions for inter partes review before the Patent Office.
    The Court subsequently informed the parties that it has a “practice to deny motions to stay until after the PTAB has made a decision regarding whether it will actually institute an IPR”. (Dkt. 166 at 2.) In view of the Court’s guidance, pursuant to Civil Local Rule 7-16, Defendants hereby withdraw their motion to stay (Dkt. 161), without prejudice to renewing the motion after receipt of institution decisions from the Patent Office on the IPR petitions."

So.. until PTAB agrees to review petitions, the court will not grant a stay.

Coincidentally, yesterday an article was published on law.com talking about recent changes for patent cases in the US and how they are providing more protection for patent owners and making it much harder to invalidate existing patents:

https://www.law.com/therecorder/2019...ey-wished-for/

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by smithm565; 05-02-19 at 08:39 AM.
    05-02-19 05:57 AM
    rarsen, morganplus8 and Greened like this.
    05-02-19 01:44 PM
    OT:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48131048
    The growing threat to Mark Zuckerberg's power
    morganplus8, Greened and rarsen like this.
    05-02-19 02:40 PM
    Some eye candy for morganplus8 and request for a general comment on Moving Average Cross for BB:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/enth...n=true#image=4
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morganplus car BBUoFW5.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	444162
    Wow! That's my weak spot right there! How am I going to hide that machine? Thanks!

BlackBerry stock is doing well today. The general market is backing up but BB has its Golden Cross on the daily chart. This is where the 50-dma cuts up through the 200-dma showing us that the market is bullish on BB. In addition, the stock has tested both indicators and bounced off them confirming the sentiment. The stock gave back a buck from the recent highs but we are seeing some life in it today.

I purchased a PC the other day and I'm in the midst of building it up for speed. I've missed coming to this site for that reason. Following CrackBerry on my phone just isn't the same as sitting back with a drink and taking my time. Take care all and thanks for some really interesting posts to this thread.

Thanks again for the picture, I never grow tired of looking at those cars.
    05-02-19 03:01 PM
    Morganplus8 you can have the car, I will have Corbu's girlfriends. Lol
    morganplus8, Corbu and Greened like this.
    05-02-19 05:50 PM

BlackBerry
    Uploaded on May 2, 2019

The world is changing, and in the space of a few decades, digital technologies have revolutionized the way the things in our lives connect. But when you can connect anything, to anyone, anywhere, who do you trust?

At BlackBerry, we have long recognized that trust is built on three pillars – security, privacy and control. Watch as we share how BlackBerry delivers on those pillars, so you can always count on BlackBerry’s commitment to secure, protect and enable the Internet of Things.
    05-02-19 09:26 PM
    Just got around to reading this filing. Here is the full text:

"On April 16, Defendants Facebook, Inc., WhatsApp Inc., and Instagram, LLC (collectively, the “Facebook Defendants”) and Snap Inc. (“Snap”) filed a motion to stay ...
    https://www.law.com/therecorder/2019...ey-wished-for/

I don't think people in general are aware of this even going on. Not a single person I know even heard of the lawsuit. You would think it would be all over the news by now.

If little 'ol BlackBerry pulls this off, it should hit every news stand on planet earth. Even our tiny Pygmy friends in the jungle will know that BlackBerry is a thing.
    05-02-19 10:44 PM
    Did you mention my girlfriend(s), bbjdog?

Well, it's Friday night...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-56713071_900406546972534_1834592284747579453_n.jpg

Have a nice weekend, everyone!
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    05-03-19 05:33 PM
    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69169463.cms
    Prem’s love affair: BlackBerry to bank

You acquired BlackBerry globally. Was that an emotional decision?

If you look at it, John Chen (BlackBerry CEO) has got a billion-dollar software company. Think of the three big trends — first, everything went on the internet, then everything going into the smartphone, and the third is everything getting digitised through the internet of things, billions of connected devices above and beyond smartphones. But they never thought about cyber security for the digitised world for all of these many interconnected devices. He (Chen) has bought a company called Cylance, which is the foremost in cybersecurity. Even after buying that for $1.4 billion, he has got a billion dollars of cash. He is out of the manufacturing, is in only enterprise SAS software and now he has got cybersecurity. We have not made any significant money on it, but in the meantime we are clipping coupons on our bonds. I am betting that with Chen running it, it is going to do well.
    05-03-19 05:49 PM
    05-03-19 05:54 PM

Name:	56713071_900406546972534_1834592284747579453_n.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	444193

Now that's what you call curves!!!

Thanks mate and I'm sure someone is jealous of the body lines on that machine. Lol
    Corbu, rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    05-03-19 06:22 PM

Name:	56713071_900406546972534_1834592284747579453_n.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	444193

It's kinda sad really.
    All I see is an upset girl thrashing about because she dropped her BlackBerry in the water.
    Corbu, rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    05-04-19 03:53 PM
    https://www.equities.com/news/jeff-k...vacy-is-future
    Jeff Kagan: Blackberry Analyst Meeting — Security, Privacy Are the Future

[...]

This is a growing opportunity for them as more and more users grow concerned with protecting their privacy.

The Blackberry transformation

The problem is, Blackberry was never that great at working with analysts, media and influencers. They are trying to improve with things like this analyst briefing. That’s the good news.

Unfortunately, they are still falling far short of where they need to be. They are not at the same high level as many of their competitors are. They fall back on their old ways of doing things. They assume the marketplace will figure it out. And that does not help them transform and grow going forward.

Going forward, if Blackberry is to succeed, they need to understand the magical power of marketing and building relationships. This was their weak spot when they crashed and burned a decade ago and this is still a real problem for them today.

Now, Blackberry is moving forward into a new world where security and privacy are becoming more important. This trend will continue to grow and if that is the case, I think the Blackberry solution has a real growth opportunity ahead.

That’s if they can better understand the power of marketing, advertising, public relations and everything that builds a brand in the marketplace.

Will they, is the next question?

Don’t get me wrong. They are still in the very early stages of their transformation. The growth potential is there. However, there are no guarantees. Marketing is as important as reality and they need to get better at marketing.

Security and privacy will continue to grow in importance. Since this is their area of expertise, the question is, can they leverage their brand name in this area and grow? Let’s see what they can do. Only time will tell.
    rarsen, elfabio80, dusdal and 3 others like this.
    05-04-19 05:13 PM
    Reminds me of a quote from Henry Ford:

Those who stop marketing to save money, are like those who stop a clock to save time.

Personal reflection: Someone I know working in Marketing used to say half of the money spent in Marketing was wasted, efforts being made were trying to identify which of the halfs it was - Ha.
    Last edited by rarsen; 05-04-19 at 10:05 PM.
    05-04-19 05:30 PM
    It's kinda sad really.
    All I see is an upset girl thrashing about because she dropped her BlackBerry in the water.
    Thank for the laugh mate !!!
    05-04-19 07:37 PM
    Reminds me of a quote from Henry Ford:

Those who stop marketing to save money, are like those who stop a clock to save time.
    This applies perfectly to BB the Management. Although they will never understand what you wrote ...
    05-04-19 09:11 PM
    dusdal, elfabio80, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    05-05-19 02:14 PM
    05-05-19 07:55 PM
    05-06-19 09:12 AM
    Interesting article.

I know companies play "financial gymnastics" especially if they are close to missing forecasted targets. I have no doubt BB does this as well. However, the penalties from the SEC are such that it's simply not worth the short term gain to end up spending the last years of your life in prison. I'm sure the $46 Million IP revenue has a well thought out legally vetted explanation safely tucked away in case questions are raised. Chen is just not that stupid to have overlooked this contingency.

I will say BB would not have to resort to these kinds of tactics if they could generate revenues from the many initiatives they claim to have underway. I've always suspected they are forced to under price many of their products due to market realities as they fail to understand what the pricing product will drive against the cost of development. I think Radar is one of these high development costs with low market prices. How many years will it take to recover those costs and what other projects were shelved or killed to make way for this speculative venture?

BB seems to be flopping along hovering around break-even (last quarters earnings were largely driven by expense cuts) with a multitude of projects and products underway. Much like their past trying to make that killer phone, they seem to be doing the same kind of shotgun approach with software, hoping one day a product will score the home run they (and us) are banking on.
    Corbu, BanffMoose and DREXcb like this.
    05-07-19 09:37 AM
113,256 ... 43324333433443354336 ...