View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    BBMe pin: EF011B16
    rarsen, Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    04-20-19 12:38 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Here's the straight **** regarding the Emtek BBM consumer shutdown. Looks like they were bleeding users and couldn't justify keeping the lights on. Sad but not unexpected if customers are moving off the platform.

Just another ghost of Blackberry past being put to rest.

Brace yourself, BBMers: the company that runs the iconic messaging app invented by BlackBerry more than a decade ago is ending the free version of the service for consumers.

Indonesian media conglomerate Emtek partnered with Waterloo-based BlackBerry in 2016 to expand the company's BBM messaging service to new customers, and add new functionality.

Invented in 2005, BBM — an acronym for BlackBerry Messenger — grew quickly to become the world's most popular phone-to-phone messaging service, in the early days of smartphones. It was popular as a safer alternative to text messages because of its robust encryption.

But it was quickly eclipsed by services such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and many others, as BlackBerry's lost dominance in smartphones trickled down to BBM.

As part of the deal, Emtek took over the running of the free consumer-oriented version of the service, while BlackBerry retained control of BBMe, its service for business customers.

"We poured our hearts into making this a reality, and we are proud of what we have built to date," Emtek said on Thursday in a blog post. "The technology industry however, is very fluid, and in spite of our substantial efforts, users have moved on to other platforms, while new users proved difficult to sign on."

"Though we are sad to say goodbye, the time has come to sunset the BBM consumer service, and for us to move on," the company said, adding that the service will be shut down as of May 31.

The decision brings an end to the consumer focused version of the app, but BlackBerry is trying to win over some of those users by opening up their enterprise service to individuals.

Starting today, anyone with an Apple or Android smartphone can download the BBMe app and use it for free for the first year. After that, there's a fee of $2.50 US for six months of use, or $5 a year.
    Sadly, we had been saying this for years..when BBM lost the battle to "copycat" Watsapp...it was game over.

BlackBerry was always too late to the dance to monetize major assets, like BBM .... now, I question also whether we have also seen the last TLC BlackBerry branded phone?... is KeyTwo LE the last?.... would not surprise me.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-19 09:16 AM
    Sadly, we had been saying this for years..when BBM lost the battle to "copycat" Watsapp...it was game over.

BlackBerry was always too late to the dance to monetize major assets, like BBM .... now, I question also whether we have also seen the last TLC BlackBerry branded phone?... is KeyTwo LE the last?.... would not surprise me.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry rightfully got out of the pure consumer market. There are better products than BBM available.
    04-20-19 12:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    What does this have to do with share price of BB ? Practically nothing today as Chen extracted initial payments from Emtek back in 2016 which seems brilliant today.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    04-20-19 12:09 PM
    What does this have to do with share price of BB ? Practically nothing today as Chen extracted initial payments from Emtek back in 2016 which seems brilliant today.
    Did they? Like so much of everything BB, the whole thing is a black box covered with question marks.

Which is useful for both bull and bear camps as with so little true information, the conclusion you draw is wholly dependent on the assumptions you make going in.

If I have a traditional lease for a home for 6 years, I can't simply in the middle decide to up and leave. I still owe whatever money was promised.

Similarly, many 6 year agreements could be structured as for 1 year terms, with option to renew up to 6 years and leasee's discretion. Or perhaps somewhere in the middle which allowed for terms to be renegotiated at the 3 year mark depending on how it was going.

Paulo on SA (not sure why I still read him....) makes several leaps of faith both here and in his previous article. $46m in non-cash? Must be patents, and those patents are wildly overvalued. There fore BB is committing fraud. If the BBM issue is like the non-negotiable home rental, then BB still gets the $100m for the last 3 years. If it's like an "option to renew" contract, then they may get nothing. To pick one over the other with no real evidence is simply an endeavor to further a prejudiced agenda.

You could equally make a leap of faith that those $46m in intangibles were something like distribution rights for BB tech over the FB platform with attached real value revenue in the future, which will get more valuable as FB messenger grows. (just pulled that out of the air - I truly have no idea)

The bottom line is simply that no one knows, and pontificating until rapture will get you no further ahead. At the end of the day though, Chen strikes me as a man with integrity, so I'll take him and the quarterly reports at his word. Things don't always work out as he hoped (BBM, hardware) but he's generally been up front when that was the case, and not trying to hide things.
    04-20-19 12:47 PM
    Did they? Like so much of everything BB, the whole thing is a black box covered with question marks.

Which is useful for both bull and bear camps as with so little true information, the conclusion you draw is wholly dependent on the assumptions you make going in.

If I have a traditional lease for a home for 6 years, I can't simply in the middle decide to up and leave. I still owe whatever money was promised.

Similarly, many 6 year agreements could be structured as for 1 year terms, with option to renew up to 6 years and leasee's discretion. Or perhaps somewhere in the middle which allowed for terms to be renegotiated at the 3 year mark depending on how it was going.

Paulo on SA (not sure why I still read him....) makes several leaps of faith both here and in his previous article. $46m in non-cash? Must be patents, and those patents are wildly overvalued. There fore BB is committing fraud. If the BBM issue is like the non-negotiable home rental, then BB still gets the $100m for the last 3 years. If it's like an "option to renew" contract, then they may get nothing. To pick one over the other with no real evidence is simply an endeavor to further a prejudiced agenda.

You could equally make a leap of faith that those $46m in intangibles were something like distribution rights for BB tech over the FB platform with attached real value revenue in the future, which will get more valuable as FB messenger grows. (just pulled that out of the air - I truly have no idea)

The bottom line is simply that no one knows, and pontificating until rapture will get you no further ahead. At the end of the day though, Chen strikes me as a man with integrity, so I'll take him and the quarterly reports at his word. Things don't always work out as he hoped (BBM, hardware) but he's generally been up front when that was the case, and not trying to hide things.
    BB Hardware and BBM were both severe drags of the hardware business. BB exited both consumer lines and hasn’t looked back. ANY monies paid for licensing either BB hardware or BBM has after minimal support expense, been gravy. I don’t think he really expected success for either licensing effort and that wasn’t his problem. If success was expected, why leave either business line to begin with ?
    04-20-19 02:23 PM
    Been away for a while (still read every post though, and thanks to the contributors!)

Couple of things.

1) the 46M in patent they received are will produce royalties in the future

2) the IP guide if 270M or 170M base and 100M in one time. The one time could be some upfront and some reoccurring , they are still negotiating but that 100M is in the bank so to say.

3) the RSU’s Chen and board agreed to: they DO NOT expire this November and he gets the 1M shares at anytime the share price closes at $16 for 10 consecutive days or higher. The same applies to the remaining vesting schedule so he has the full 5 years to earn them. This is in stark contrast to those who are writing he HAS to hit the $16 this November as this is incorrect, unfortunately!

4)the first SPARK product will be out this September but a combined CYLANCE and Spark or QNX won’t be out early next year.

5) both Alex Thurber and Carl Wiese are gone and Bryan Palma is charged with the integration of Cylance and BB, this was announced to the “street” but not the public. Reason is the company needs a good COO at this point and one could “argue” this is a indicator of BBM and possibly phones coming to an end . Also that was why the guide down in last quarter March 2019 as this was priced in and hence no adjustment was announced when BBM was cancelled last week via Emtek.

6) organic growth if we now include the 170M run rate of cylance and 880M of BB is 1.05B and will be about 6% or approx 1.13B now with most of that from cylance or about 51M

7) as of now, bb is not part of the Jedi contract nor is it expected to be part of it, again wanting to correct some misinfo.

8) they are not now looking to buy back any of the converts, however that could change if a settlement from an IP occurs (my opinion here) with cylance actually a cash drain over this year, not likely to see any buy back if shares as well other than small amounts. keep in mind BB mngt previously (balsile and co) bought back lots of shares at very high prices.

So here was the so-so news about the share price, now some good. The 100M as I wrote does not include SNAP, so anything from SNAP and or others is all bonus. I would say irrespective of what you read, their chances are quite good. Also, they are Finally GROWING, albeit slowly after years of declining revenue. I think the price stabilized and starts to move as they PROVE they can grow that revenue in the JUNE numbers with a full quarter of cylance under the BB umbrella.
    04-20-19 03:45 PM
    Thanks for the clarifications, kadakn01! Great info.
    04-20-19 04:06 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    "Brilliant"?...What he extracted for "bbm" is small pocket change, compared to what "Whatsapp" extracted from Facebook, for a copycat product that BlackBerry had a leadership position in, and should have significantly monetized, when they were in a position to do so. "Too little, too late", as always. That should be BlackBerry's moto.

What does that have to do with share price of bb?..

Well, having lost close to fifty percent of its value last year alone, unless you have been shorting BlackBerry for the last ten years, or are an astute swing trader, Blackberry Longs, for the most part, are either deeply in red, or have long since exited this investment, with nothing to show for their long term investment other than a capital loss , while most of the tech sector has had stellar performance across the board in that time. Not putting the blame on Chen but across the board going back ten years....it's been massively underwhelming.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    04-21-19 01:46 PM
    "Brilliant"?...What he extracted for "bbm" is small pocket change, compared to what "Whatsapp" extracted from Facebook, for a copycat product that BlackBerry had a leadership position in, and should have significantly monetized, when they were in a position to do so. "Too little, too late", as always. That should be BlackBerry's moto.

What does that have to do with share price of bb?..

Well, having lost close to fifty percent of its value last year alone, unless you have been shorting BlackBerry for the last ten years, or are an astute swing trader, Blackberry Longs, for the most part, are either deeply in red, or have long since exited this investment, with nothing to show for their long term investment other than a capital loss , while most of the tech sector has had stellar performance across the board in that time. Not putting the blame on Chen but across the board going back ten years....it's been massively underwhelming.

Posted via CB10
    BBM was dead failed asset when Chen joined the show. Can’t go back and rewrite history and it’s poor decisions.

As far as BB share price, he’s brought predictable corporate behavior and consistency with his strategy. Selling calls against the shares and naked puts would have adjusted your share price dramatically over the last 30-60 months.
    04-21-19 02:48 PM
    Been away for a while (still read every post though, and thanks to the contributors!)

Couple of things.

1) the 46M in patent they received are will produce royalties in the future

2) the IP guide if 270M or 170M base and 100M in one time. The one time could be some upfront and some reoccurring , they are still negotiating but that 100M is in the bank so to say.

3) the RSU’s Chen and board agreed to: they DO NOT expire this November and he gets the 1M shares at anytime the share price closes at $16 for 10 consecutive days or higher. The same applies to the remaining vesting schedule so he has the full 5 years to earn them. This is in stark contrast to those who are writing he HAS to hit the $16 this November as this is incorrect, unfortunately!

4)the first SPARK product will be out this September but a combined CYLANCE and Spark or QNX won’t be out early next year.

5) both Alex Thurber and Carl Wiese are gone and Bryan Palma is charged with the integration of Cylance and BB, this was announced to the “street” but not the public. Reason is the company needs a good COO at this point and one could “argue” this is a indicator of BBM and possibly phones coming to an end . Also that was why the guide down in last quarter March 2019 as this was priced in and hence no adjustment was announced when BBM was cancelled last week via Emtek.

6) organic growth if we now include the 170M run rate of cylance and 880M of BB is 1.05B and will be about 6% or approx 1.13B now with most of that from cylance or about 51M

7) as of now, bb is not part of the Jedi contract nor is it expected to be part of it, again wanting to correct some misinfo.

8) they are not now looking to buy back any of the converts, however that could change if a settlement from an IP occurs (my opinion here) with cylance actually a cash drain over this year, not likely to see any buy back if shares as well other than small amounts. keep in mind BB mngt previously (balsile and co) bought back lots of shares at very high prices.

So here was the so-so news about the share price, now some good. The 100M as I wrote does not include SNAP, so anything from SNAP and or others is all bonus. I would say irrespective of what you read, their chances are quite good. Also, they are Finally GROWING, albeit slowly after years of declining revenue. I think the price stabilized and starts to move as they PROVE they can grow that revenue in the JUNE numbers with a full quarter of cylance under the BB umbrella.
    Spectacular info, many thanks. From the way you wrote it I take it you also have some sort of Corbu style contact with knowledge of semi-public info?

Some of the points were obvious from the publicly released docs, the $16 bonus for Nov, Jedi connections, and frustratingly people were saying the same thing last Nov, that if he didn't hit it by Nov 18 he would lose it forever, when a simple reading of the actual agreement dictated otherwise. It's as annoying as Paulo articles when bulls do the same thing by making several compounding pollyanna assumptions.

At the same time, it does give more clarity to where ML got their $170m long term IP number from, but curious why it wasn't released to the public? Them proclaiming inexplicably that IP will drop by over a third with zero reasoning was confusing at best, but seems like borderline insider trading if they can make projections (and presumably trade) based on that info which only a special set of chosen ones have access to. And to that end why would BB even release it to them given how troublesomely bearish they've been since forever?

As you said it's a whole lot of so-so news. Unfortunately it seems like there is nothing really in the cards to usher in a true era of growth before a year or two more of waiting and that's only if things like spark or merged products take off - which I'm sure all the longs here will agree has been the frustrating name of the game for the better part of the last decade. I'm still holding long and strong, but even with the clarity you provide, it implies that the bears may have been right all along, and all we have is hope for some random positive black swan to buoy us.
    04-21-19 08:40 PM
    BBM was dead failed asset when Chen joined the show. Can’t go back and rewrite history and it’s poor decisions.

As far as BB share price, he’s brought predictable corporate behavior and consistency with his strategy. Selling calls against the shares and naked puts would have adjusted your share price dramatically over the last 30-60 months.
    Problem is.... FANS, don't typically want to bet against BlackBerry. Which is why the concept of this thread was so flawed all those years ago. Especially when it was sacrilege to talk about anything negative.

Going forward, then new BlackBerry (without BBM, Smartphones or anything that brought most people to CrackBerry) is moving in a positive direction and will do much better once the drag of the old BlackBerry is finally thrown off over then next year or so.
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-22-19 08:27 AM
    Hi bapebape,

As you probably already know, the biotech sector is getting hit hard these days with the index falling well below its 50-200 dma levels. Having said that, EYPT has been taking a much harder hit during the same period.

The company is doing more than most to create a successful enterprise. They hired all new senior management, issued them stock options well above the current price and launched two products earlier then first planned. Where there is some concern is with their choice of finance company CRG, some think the turns of that debt are too harsh. Off the top of my head, I remember them requiring that EYPT must maintain a quarterly revenue bump of at least $ 15M and I would be very surprised if they are able to do this on their first full Q. I also believe this is the reason they went ahead with the ATM issued in Dec/2018. They decided to sell 10.5M shares to raise $ 20M and I think it might be to protect the company over the next 2 Q's. So now it comes down to the next Q and the guidance that flows from that. The only sign of trouble is the price of the stock today everything else looks very good. EW invested $ 60M in this play, they purchased a second drug to provide scale in revs and I think they have done everything they can to make this company succeed. Hope this helps.

As for SPHS - the CEO has not told us next steps and until that happens we'll wander around subject to the IBB Index. They need to raise funds, or partner for the final Phase III study there. I believe we get some news on this within the next 2 months. This company has a very small float so they are in an excellent position to take their treatment to market down the road. Having said this, the company structure will change to reflect the capital needed to go to market eventually.

Ask me anything you want, I know this is a short response to a more meaningful explanation for both companies.
    Thanks Morgan
    Corbu, rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    04-22-19 10:02 AM
    OT for those willing to look outside their general comfort zone:

Windows 10 apps: Which are worth keeping? Which ones should you dump?
    https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/windo...24037827013043

'I dumped Apple because it's too prima donna,' said the Best Buy salesperson
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/i-dump...24037827013043

Linux survival guide: These 21 applications let you move easily between Linux and Windows
    https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/linux...x-and-windows/

Online security 101: How to protect your privacy from hackers, spies, and the government
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/online...he-government/
    Last edited by rarsen; 04-22-19 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added info
    04-22-19 12:45 PM
    Problem is.... FANS, don't typically want to bet against BlackBerry. Which is why the concept of this thread was so flawed all those years ago. Especially when it was sacrilege to talk about anything negative.

Going forward, then new BlackBerry (without BBM, Smartphones or anything that brought most people to CrackBerry) is moving in a positive direction and will do much better once the drag of the old BlackBerry is finally thrown off over then next year or so.
    I've always seen CB as an oasis of BB positivity in a sea of denigration or at least place that supports my Blackberry stock delusions. I think the demise of consumer grade BBM is sad but not unexpected given the number of better and more popular platforms on the market. Sadly, what most socially addicted users don't know is that all their information is there for sale to any and all interested parties, something BBM never did. Of course you can't support a platform without revenue and so BBM must go.

Of course Blackberry proper continues to leave the consumer market behind and I wonder what they will do with Cylance's consumer products ?
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    04-23-19 10:14 AM
    I've always seen CB as an oasis of BB positivity in a sea of denigration or at least place that supports my Blackberry stock delusions. I think the demise of consumer grade BBM is sad but not unexpected given the number of better and more popular platforms on the market. Sadly, what most socially addicted users don't know is that all their information is there for sale to any and all interested parties, something BBM never did. Of course you can't support a platform without revenue and so BBM must go.

Of course Blackberry proper continues to leave the consumer market behind and I wonder what they will do with Cylance's consumer products ?
    Cylance as a startup, needed awareness... consumer product brought that - if not actual revenues too.

Chen has no objection to making money on consumers, so it will come down to if those products are profitable or not. If not they pull them and focus on higher margin enterprise level products, which will be in the best interest of shareholders.
    EchoTango and morganplus8 like this.
    04-23-19 10:19 AM

I guess just two more comments after thinking about what you wrote here a bit more. First off, why is Bryan Palma the saviour now and the person to fill the role of a "good COO"? Not to crap on him, because he has an admirable resume, but both Carl Wiese and Alex Thurber did as well, not to mention several other big names who've come and gone through what's becoming the revolving door of the Blackberry C-Suite.

I'm not fully convinced how much of a role a single person can have, and feel people underestimate the role luck can have in these sorts of things. After Jobs died, AAPL had so much momentum, popular products, and good will you could have put a toddler in charge - and still had record Q after record Q. I'm starting to fear the opposite is in play here. No matter how strong and capable a leader you put in charge, the buggy whip probably isn't going to make a resurgence any time soon.

Secondly, in referencing your good news about BB having a solid chance with the SNAP lawsuit, is there any particular reason you mentioned nothing about FB/WA/IG? Unless (and reading between the lines here) that $100m that was 'in the bank' so to speak was directly related to that. Just seems odd that someone with thorough knowledge which you appear to have wouldn't mention it. In which case that too would be yet another in a long list of disappointments. I know myself, and I'm sure many others were hoping that that case would result in the sort of IP bonanza that QCOM recently enjoyed from AAPL.
    Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    04-23-19 10:35 AM
    La Emperor and morganplus8 like this.
    04-23-19 10:43 AM
    Seems have not went so well given the dropping share price while Nasdaq is hitting record highs.

Does anyone have the presentation for the analyst day? Could not find it on the BB Web site
    04-23-19 11:33 AM
    A good follow, if you want to get a glimpse into Analyst Day:
    https://twitter.com/hyounpark
    La Emperor and morganplus8 like this.
    04-23-19 11:44 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-d42qp5ru0aauulh.jpg
    morganplus8 and La Emperor like this.
    04-23-19 12:29 PM
    So no Cylance integration this year? Really disappointing time frage, BB should put much for efforts behind the whole thing to get new products out as soon as possible.

I am afraid that competition will move faster and will take over the market like it did many times in the past
    04-23-19 01:46 PM
    And no word about BBM either? I thought BB only licensed BBM to EMTEK so why are they allowed to completely destroy BBM by shutting it down?

Why not try to sell it to WeChat or Line instead of just throwing away the whole user base?
    04-23-19 03:19 PM
    So no Cylance integration this year? Really disappointing time frage, BB should put much for efforts behind the whole thing to get new products out as soon as possible.

I am afraid that competition will move faster and will take over the market like it did many times in the past
    Integration will take time. No need rushing it. BlackBerry selling Cylance to it's current client base should be the focus for the short-term
    La Emperor, Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    04-23-19 03:22 PM
    Sadly, what most socially addicted users don't know is that all their information is there for sale to any and all interested parties, something BBM never did. Of course you can't support a platform without revenue and so BBM must go.
    I just had to re-post this paragraph from you. Well said and THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
    morganplus8 likes this.
    04-23-19 03:32 PM
113,250 ... 43294330433143324333 ...