View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    What I was referring to is the short interest ratio has dropped from over 20 percent to about 3 percent within 2 years while the share price was still this low. I guess shorts might have manipulated the price to first drive it high enough ahead of the fundamentals and then cover them when the price is going down. That is why I say don't buy the shares heavily while the short interest ratio is high. Just because it may come down before it goes up. To the current state, since most shorts have left, we are safer now hopefully.
    While I'm relieved that the short interest has plummeted, I was always of the mind that when a stock has a high short interest as BB did in the last few years, the share price is artificially low since something like 125% of the shares were sold, so that last 25% will push the price down even lower to find buyers.

To that end, when those 25% cover, one would expect that the deferred demand would similarly push the price up - in an extreme instance resulting in a short squeeze like you saw with VW a decade ago.

Here we did not. Why? As shorts exited in an orderly fashion over the last couple years, the price if anything was stagnant at best. Once again it's like this stock is a one way valve. Same thing with the debentures. Stock massively punished on fear of dilution when it was announced, then when half of them get bought back halving the obligation and potential dilution - crickets.
    Andy_bb_king and morganplus8 like this.
    04-16-19 05:59 PM
    While I'm relieved that the short interest has plummeted, I was always of the mind that when a stock has a high short interest as BB did in the last few years, the share price is artificially low since something like 125% of the shares were sold, so that last 25% will push the price down even lower to find buyers.

To that end, when those 25% cover, one would expect that the deferred demand would similarly push the price up - in an extreme instance resulting in a short squeeze like you saw with VW a decade ago.

Here we did not. Why? As shorts exited in an orderly fashion over the last couple years, the price if anything was stagnant at best. Once again it's like this stock is a one way valve. Same thing with the debentures. Stock massively punished on fear of dilution when it was announced, then when half of them get bought back halving the obligation and potential dilution - crickets.
    Unnecessary debt, nothing to do with the business and everything to do with the debt holder.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-19 06:50 PM
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look at it when I have a moment. My buddy is a lawyer so I'll send him something and get his take ion it.
    Thanks Morgan, please do let us know what he says.

Legal speak can definitely.. be unwieldy to the inexperienced.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    04-16-19 08:21 PM

Someone posted the full report on stock twits, and after reading it several times, I think it's more of just a perfunctory administrative change to who exactly they're suing.

Where it says "this case is dismissed against Instragram Inc, and all liabilities, obligations, and defenses will be transfered to Instagram LLC" I take that just to mean it's a consolidation of who they're suing.

Sort of like if someone was suing Cylance and blackberry, and then realized that since Cylance is basically a shell company inside BB, it makes more sense to focus everything against BB and drop the case against Cylance.

Again though, I'm not an expert, but is sort of how I read it.
    04-16-19 09:06 PM
    Someone posted the full report on stock twits, and after reading it several times, I think it's more of just a perfunctory administrative change to who exactly they're suing.

Where it says "this case is dismissed against Instragram Inc, and all liabilities, obligations, and defenses will be transfered to Instagram LLC" I take that just to mean it's a consolidation of who they're suing.

Sort of like if someone was suing Cylance and blackberry, and then realized that since Cylance is basically a shell company inside BB, it makes more sense to focus everything against BB and drop the case against Cylance.

Again though, I'm not an expert, but is sort of how I read it.
    Thanks for your response, Seadog. Likewise, it's how I read it was well.

Curious if there's a different read for the trained eye.
    04-16-19 09:11 PM

Public Policy Forum
    Published on Apr 15, 2019
    Fireside Chat: Reimagining Canada’s Tech Icon

With: John Chen, Executive Chairman and CEO, BlackBerry
    Interviewed by: Tom Clark, Chair, Global Public Affairs
    Thanks for the video, Corbu.

Sounds like John just upped the number of QNX cars on the road by 10 mil to 130 million.
    Corbu, rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    04-16-19 09:13 PM
    Update on FB / SNAP suit.

4/16 - defendants filed motion to stay, while patent office is reviewing something. Hearing before the judge set for 5/16/19.

"PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on May 16, 2019, at 8:30 a.m., or as soon as the matter may be heard, in this Court, located at United States Courthouse,
    350 West 1st Street, Los Angeles, CA, 90012, Courtroom 9D, 9th Floor, Defendants Facebook, Inc., WhatsApp Inc., and Instagram, LLC (collectively, the “Facebook Defendants”) and Snap Inc. (“Snap”) will and hereby do move to stay this eleven-patent case pending inter parties review institution decisions by the
    Patent Office.

This motion is based upon this notice, the accompanying memorandum of points and authorities, the declaration of Matthew J. Brigham (and accompanying exhibits), the declaration of Chad Peterman (and accompanying exhibits), the proposed order, and upon such other and further matters, papers, and arguments as may be submitted to the Court.

This motion is made following the conference of counsel pursuant to L.R. 7-3, which took place on April 5 and April 9, 2019."

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 3 others like this.
    04-17-19 06:09 AM
    Presuming small #s here, but more traction for Radar isn't a bad thingThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screenshot_2019-04-17-axsun-intermodal-freight-transportation-canada-international-railway-carg.png

https://www.axsungroup.com/en/news.php
    La Emperor, Corbu, W Hoa and 5 others like this.
    04-17-19 10:35 AM
    This is new, their website actually has a BBM channel link?The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screenshot_2019-04-17-axsun-intermodal-transport-canada-trucking-company-quebec-freight-transp.png
    Corbu, La Emperor, W Hoa and 4 others like this.
    04-17-19 10:49 AM
    04-17-19 11:27 AM
    I don't take any liabilities unless i'm wrong
    04-17-19 03:28 PM
    04-18-19 07:35 AM
    so with emtek's decision to end bbm consumer, what does that mean for us? Does that mean after May 31, if I were to send a message to a friend on BBM it will not get delivered?
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    04-18-19 08:30 AM
    Update on FB / SNAP suit.

4/16 - defendants filed motion to stay, while patent office is reviewing something. Hearing before the judge set for 5/16/19.

Posted via CB10
    May have figured out why a stay was filed. If all this is information overload on the lawsuits, let me know and I will not post so much. I read most all of the filings, and have been posting summary details from ones I believe to have significance, which seems like a lot lately, but only because of the stage this suit has reached.

Yesterday, FB & SNAP filed an "Application for an Order for the Issuance of Letters of Request for International Judicial Assistance" or "Issuance of Letters Rogatory for International Judicial Assistance".

https://www.cacd.uscourts.gov/court-...tters-rogatory

Basically, they have filed pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Taking of Evidence Abroad in Civil or Commercial Matters, 3/18/1970; requesting Judicial Assistance from Judicial Authorities of Canada, Finland, and China; "for the purpose of obtaining documents and/or testimony relevant to this litigation from" a long list of companies, and individuals that had any reference to/from BlackBerry or USPTO in this case. "Defendants submit that the requested testimony and documents are in the interest of justice"

Along with this application, they submitted hundreds of pages of exhibit documents seeking specific info requested, communications, and states that "discovery is ongoing".

Not a lawyer, but in my opinion these appear to be delay tactics, but also show they plan to put up a fight and this may very well head to trial. Very much is a stake. But, I believe that BlackBerry still has the upper hand. They were confident enough to start a suit against TWTR before this one was complete, and the company is in a good financial position to continue this important fight.

I believe the wind is at our back. And in the next week, both FB & SNAP will be releasing earnings reports, so any updates on this suit will be key. This case is headed to a jury trial, which typically favor a Plaintiff (patent holder) anyway, but in this case, at this point in time, FB will have a hard time finding sympathetic jurors. I believe they know this and I don't believe that Zuckerberg 's shift on privacy and regulation is coincidental, but is in fact strategic, as are some recent developments at Snap & Twitter.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, Corbu, La Emperor and 2 others like this.
    04-18-19 08:35 AM
    04-18-19 09:09 AM
    Hey Morgan if you have time , would love your comment on eypt at this moment . Thanks
    FeitaInc and morganplus8 like this.
    04-18-19 09:47 AM
    Although BlackBerry reacted by offering BBMe for the "loyal" BBM consumers free for 1 year. But no groups, channels, stickers, etc.
    They are a software company.
    04-18-19 09:50 AM
    Although BlackBerry reacted by offering BBMe for the "loyal" BBM consumers free for 1 year. But no groups, channels, stickers, etc.
    They are a software company.
    The question with BB is how will this, or will it, affect the licensing revenue that Emtek was to pay for BBM? What was it a little over $200 Million over six years? Has the strategic alliance ended? Or is Emtek locked into paying over the next three years?

At this point the value for BBM is in the past, not the future. Can BlackBerry convert the IP associated with BBM into revenue via the current and maybe future legal measures.
    04-18-19 01:52 PM
    Hey Morgan if you have time , would love your comment on eypt at this moment . Thanks
    Need help on this + SPHS too. Pretty sure i've lost over 60% of my money on these 2 over the past coupe years
    04-18-19 02:49 PM
    From an article on BlackBerry partner Fleet Complete:

The fleet-tracking market is growing fast, from an estimated US$3.8 billion last year to an expected US$12.7 billion by 2024, according to Delaware-based Market Study Report. Fleet Complete, which has systems in half a million vehicles in 17 countries, reported annual revenue growth of 53 per cent last fall, to $107 million.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/driv...ng-technology/
    04-19-19 10:31 AM

Finally got a chance to talk to my lawyer friend, to be clear, he is involved in M&A or the bringing companies together. He is not a trial lawyer. His take on this is exactly what Seadog83 stated in message #108229 . The company is aligning their legal challenge with the source of the infringement. It's more than a formality, they must sue the right entity. Having said that, and being a true lawyer, he states he hasn't availed himself of the corporate structure that is "Instagram LLC".

I think he wants to charge me to do more research. Not going to happen!
    04-19-19 10:50 AM
    The question with BB is how will this, or will it, affect the licensing revenue that Emtek was to pay for BBM?
    BlackBerry didn't break out the figures for Emtek/BBM Consumer but acknowledged in the last earnings report that BBM Consumer was having a negative impact on revenue.

The increase in Licensing, IP and other revenue of $41 million was due to higher IP revenue from the Company’s patent licensing agreement with Teletry that allows it to sublicense a broad range of the Company’s patents to a majority of global smartphone manufacturers, partially offset by a decrease in revenue from BBM Consumer due to a decrease in infrastructure hosting revenue.
    04-19-19 10:53 AM
    Here's the straight **** regarding the Emtek BBM consumer shutdown. Looks like they were bleeding users and couldn't justify keeping the lights on. Sad but not unexpected if customers are moving off the platform.

Just another ghost of Blackberry past being put to rest.

Brace yourself, BBMers: the company that runs the iconic messaging app invented by BlackBerry more than a decade ago is ending the free version of the service for consumers.

Indonesian media conglomerate Emtek partnered with Waterloo-based BlackBerry in 2016 to expand the company's BBM messaging service to new customers, and add new functionality.

Invented in 2005, BBM — an acronym for BlackBerry Messenger — grew quickly to become the world's most popular phone-to-phone messaging service, in the early days of smartphones. It was popular as a safer alternative to text messages because of its robust encryption.

But it was quickly eclipsed by services such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and many others, as BlackBerry's lost dominance in smartphones trickled down to BBM.

As part of the deal, Emtek took over the running of the free consumer-oriented version of the service, while BlackBerry retained control of BBMe, its service for business customers.

"We poured our hearts into making this a reality, and we are proud of what we have built to date," Emtek said on Thursday in a blog post. "The technology industry however, is very fluid, and in spite of our substantial efforts, users have moved on to other platforms, while new users proved difficult to sign on."

"Though we are sad to say goodbye, the time has come to sunset the BBM consumer service, and for us to move on," the company said, adding that the service will be shut down as of May 31.

The decision brings an end to the consumer focused version of the app, but BlackBerry is trying to win over some of those users by opening up their enterprise service to individuals.

Starting today, anyone with an Apple or Android smartphone can download the BBMe app and use it for free for the first year. After that, there's a fee of $2.50 US for six months of use, or $5 a year.
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    04-19-19 12:06 PM
    Hi bapebape,

As you probably already know, the biotech sector is getting hit hard these days with the index falling well below its 50-200 dma levels. Having said that, EYPT has been taking a much harder hit during the same period.

The company is doing more than most to create a successful enterprise. They hired all new senior management, issued them stock options well above the current price and launched two products earlier then first planned. Where there is some concern is with their choice of finance company CRG, some think the turns of that debt are too harsh. Off the top of my head, I remember them requiring that EYPT must maintain a quarterly revenue bump of at least $ 15M and I would be very surprised if they are able to do this on their first full Q. I also believe this is the reason they went ahead with the ATM issued in Dec/2018. They decided to sell 10.5M shares to raise $ 20M and I think it might be to protect the company over the next 2 Q's. So now it comes down to the next Q and the guidance that flows from that. The only sign of trouble is the price of the stock today everything else looks very good. EW invested $ 60M in this play, they purchased a second drug to provide scale in revs and I think they have done everything they can to make this company succeed. Hope this helps.

As for SPHS - the CEO has not told us next steps and until that happens we'll wander around subject to the IBB Index. They need to raise funds, or partner for the final Phase III study there. I believe we get some news on this within the next 2 months. This company has a very small float so they are in an excellent position to take their treatment to market down the road. Having said this, the company structure will change to reflect the capital needed to go to market eventually.

Ask me anything you want, I know this is a short response to a more meaningful explanation for both companies.
    04-19-19 12:40 PM
    Finally got a chance to talk to my lawyer friend, to be clear, he is involved in M&A or the bringing companies together. He is not a trial lawyer. His take on this is exactly what Seadog83 stated in message #108229 . The company is aligning their legal challenge with the source of the infringement. It's more than a formality, they must sue the right entity. Having said that, and being a true lawyer, he states he hasn't availed himself of the corporate structure that is "Instagram LLC".

I think he wants to charge me to do more research. Not going to happen!
    Thanks for asking your friend and getting back to us Morgan.
    Corbu, dusdal and morganplus8 like this.
    04-19-19 01:07 PM
113,250 ... 43284329433043314332 ...