Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Plus this:
    BlackBerry Completes Acquisition of Cylance

WATERLOO, Ont. – February 21, 2019 – BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) today completed its previously-announced acquisition of BlackBerry Spark, the secure communications platform for the Internet of Things (IoT).

As the President of BlackBerry Cylance, Stuart McClure will continue to apply his visionary math-based approach to threat detection, prevention, and response, as well as lead the business’ large team of highly-skilled engineers and data scientists that deliver trusted products and services for more than 4,000 companies around the world.
    02-21-19 04:35 PM
    Reading material for my close community!!!!!

BRIEF-Blackberry Completes Acquisition Of Cylance2019-02-21 05:00:48 PM ET (Reuters)

BlackBerry Ltd:

* BLACKBERRY COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF CYLANCE Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage:

**** everyone beat me to the post. Lol
    Corbu, La Emperor, W Hoa and 3 others like this.
    02-21-19 04:44 PM
    That's all I was waiting for before buying a Subscription. I've heard good things.
    Corbu, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    02-21-19 05:57 PM
    https://shop.cylance.com/us

Cylance Smart Antivirus sets itself apart from current signature-based reactive solutions that are straining to keep up with the exponential growth in threats along with the bloated, system-slowing, noisy, and pop-up-riddled experience so many consumers associate with traditional vendors. Using Artificial Intelligence, Cylance is one step ahead of threats and hackers who are trying to steal your financial and personal information. Cylance Smart Antivirus stops malware without impeding the performance of the computer so consumers can rest assured their loved ones are safe and can go about doing what they need to on their PCs and Macs You also get clear, honest & fair pricing. We don’t discount your first year then jack prices on renewal. We don't bundle unnecessary features to justify raising prices.
    dusdal, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    02-21-19 07:53 PM
    Owning BlackBerry stock is a big gamble, this analyst

“I think it’s still a work in progress,” says Hodson, founder and head of research at 5i Research, to BNN Bloomberg Wednesday. “I think it’s a three to five-year window of time before you can give it a scorecard on whether this move has been the right one or not. But so far so good.”

“It’s a decent little company but it wouldn’t be our favourite tech stock because we would rather have a company that doesn’t have to reinvent themselves,” he says. “We’d rather a company that just continues to do what they did before and do it well.”

[...]

“They’ve done the right thing by shifting the company’s focus to encryption and the auto market,” says Hodson. “They still have the cash, sales are going down but margins are going up.”
    Not sure why I read these sorts of articles, all they do is agitate me.

He mentions it was looking great up until last year with its 50% rise. Well what's changed since then? Growing sections have grown more, new contracts have been announced, dwindling sections have all but disappeared, and the company is all around on more solid footing with a more cohesive, congruent story. But never mind that. Look at the stock price!

This is putting the cart before the horse, and frustratingly common and leads to a positive feedback loop not unlike financial bubbles. People feel recent performance is indicative of future, and that's all the rationale you need to keep piling on in whatever direction.

Fact: Bitcoin went up 100x in just a few short years. Why should it abate? Unless you're suggesting millions of investors are wrong. I've asked questions like why should a currency meant for day-to-day transactions fluctuate so wildly, and I'm met with mocking pity. "Well you can be happy with 7% a year in the markets, I'll stick with 50% in my cryptos..."
    Corbu, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    02-21-19 09:50 PM
    Update on BB v FB/SNAP. On 2/14/19, all 3 parties filed a "Joint Claim Construction and Prehearing Statement".

They essentially agreed to 5 construction terms between all 3, one additional with FB only and one additional with SNAP only.

They also list 10 disputed terms, that they don't agree on a common definition. It doesn't appear BlackBerry was comfortable with just this 10, but the court asked for top 10.

FB then asks for 3 more terms be added, beyond the 10, with their construction definition which they claim would would assist in proving "non-infringement". SNAP asked for two more to prove their "non-infringement".

They expect 90 minutes each to present at the claim hearing in April and none expect to call witnesses,but reserve the right to do so.

In summary, depending on what the judge will allow in the construction hearing will be key. Looks like infringement could be determined by how these term definitions are interpreted.

Posted via CB10
    Update 2: judge's order 2/21/19 on "JCC & PS"

the parties will be permitted to brief their claim construction disputes on (9) FB & SNAP common patent terms, (4) FB only patent terms, and (2) SNAP patent only terms.

The "impact statements" in the "JCC & PS" were not detailed enough & he asked for specific details in their claim briefings & claim construction hearing.

He gives opening & responsive claim construction brief specs & page limits.

He gives FB & SNAP option to file joint or separate briefs & they must let the court know 2/22/19.

Parties asked for 90 minutes each at the hearing & he said "The parties should be prepared to receive a much shorter amount of time to present their positions at the hearing".

He ordered FB & SNAP to disclose any expert witnesses & the claim terms the witness would be used for by 2/22/19.

Lastly, he tells the parties to continue meeting up to the hearing to continue the "iterative process" of "narrowing their disputes" and "pinpoint the exact nature of the disputes that remain."

....things seem to be progressing at a more steady pace now.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal, W Hoa, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    02-21-19 10:17 PM
    Reading material for my close community!!!!!

BRIEF-Blackberry Completes Acquisition Of Cylance2019-02-21 05:00:48 PM ET (Reuters)

BlackBerry Ltd:

* BLACKBERRY COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF CYLANCE Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage:

**** everyone beat me to the post. Lol
    That's what I wanted to hear my friend! The biggest acquisition in BB re-invented life has completed and now we can go higher. I'm much more bullish now, seeing $ 9.70/shr/US or the 200-dma as our next level from here. When we take $ 9.70 it will be going back over $ 10.00 and exciting again. Finally!
    rarsen, smithm565, Corbu and 9 others like this.
    02-22-19 11:09 AM
    I hope you are right, Morgan.

Personally, I believe we have been burned too many times before and I would not be surprised if the market gives no accretive value to this deal. I am afraid that if we don't hear about improved guidance soon, we won't move much for the foreseeable future.

But I hope I am wrong and you are right!

Cheers,
    02-22-19 12:19 PM
    I hope you are right, Morgan.

Personally, I believe we have been burned too many times before and I would not be surprised if the market gives no accretive value to this deal. I am afraid that if we don't hear about improved guidance soon, we won't move much for the foreseeable future.

But I hope I am wrong and you are right!

Cheers,
    We (I) really need to check our sanity with this stock. Good news and the stock goes down, bad new and it goes down even more. I swear JC is doing intentionally this just to play with our minds to make us all crazy.

Why do I keep doing this to myself ?
    Corbu likes this.
    02-22-19 01:36 PM
    I think we will need to wait 2 quarters to see momentum. Trade in and out until then.
    02-22-19 03:38 PM
    Guess who is in the news again!

https://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...ons-inves.html

Funny thing is the monkey circuit has started their monkey **** again!!

LMHO mates, and this **** is what we want in our cars. No ******* way!!!!!
    02-22-19 04:44 PM
    It's crazy to think that we essentially traded 1.4bl which was earning nothing, into 1.4bl with all indications suggesting significant revenue growth.

That's without considering integrations that BB should be able to realize.

And we didn't move a bit.
    Corbu, rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    02-23-19 05:21 PM
    It's crazy to think that we essentially traded 1.4bl which was earning nothing, into 1.4bl with all indications suggesting significant revenue growth.

Totally agree.

I know nothing but I can't refrain from thinking that "normal market behavior" does not apply to BB. Prior to the Cylance deal, we were thinking that the market was penalizing BB for the fact that it was not using that cash. The deal is done and nothing changes, which could mean that - this time - the market has been penalizing BB for using its cash without being clear as to the possible incremental growth stemming from it.

Why is that so? A deeply ingrained negative sentiment, resentment or lack of interest towards BB and/or JC? There could well be some of that. Some really terrible marketing/communication work on BB's part in terms of conveying a clear message to the Street? I personally feel that there could certainly be some of that as well, sadly. Granted, what BB is trying to achieve in terms of transforming itself is not sexy, security is certainly not the flavor of the month and there are some more "exciting" plays out there. So, who cares about this henceforward small company that doesn't sell anything tangible? And that also happens to be Canadian...

So, we have this acquisition. We have a new COO who should help upper management, notably Steve Capelli who was until recently the de facto COO and who might presumably play an active role in the Cylance integration.

The next step, I suspect, will be the Analyst Day, in April, which should give the company the opportunity to articulate some of its vision. Plus, hopefully, some solid guidance around that time or later on this year...

Let's hope BB executes like there is no tomorrow and the market takes notice of this underappreciated transformation. JC should certainly be motivated to get that done, both financially and in terms of his legacy.

Happy weekend to all!
    Last edited by Corbu; 02-23-19 at 06:48 PM.
    02-23-19 06:04 PM

Didn't Move? One could only wish it didn't move. I take it you missed that slide that destroyed an entire 1/3rd of our market cap? From an already incredibly depressed state?

While we've since recovered a bit, from time of the announcement to Dec 24 bottom, it was almost like the market treated the whole thing as a $1.4b bonfire.
    02-23-19 11:15 PM
    rarsen, dusdal, Greened and 1 others like this.
    02-24-19 11:47 AM
    That's what I wanted to hear my friend! The biggest acquisition in BB re-invented life has completed and now we can go higher. I'm much more bullish now, seeing $ 9.70/shr/US or the 200-dma as our next level from here. When we take $ 9.70 it will be going back over $ 10.00 and exciting again. Finally!
    Morgan mate! Thank you for all you do for this thread and myself. Love hearing from you and your insight is irreplaceable mate. I see EYPT had finally broke that 2 40 mark and seems to steadily be increasing in price. Thanks !

Say hi to Mrs Morgan! She is the only reason I'm on this thread. Lol

Off topic, what a weird game from Canadians and the Leafs! Someone is cursing me from the great beyond. Lol
    rarsen, Corbu, Greened and 1 others like this.
    02-24-19 02:39 PM
    Greened likes this.
    02-24-19 06:12 PM
    Greened likes this.
    02-24-19 06:13 PM
    BlackBerry hits pause on annual phone upgrade trend

Don't expect a BlackBerry Key3 for at least another half year. But maybe we'll see a 5G version in 2020.
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    02-25-19 09:37 AM

$130 Million was the last project yearly revenue for Cylance... what we didn't see is how much it "cost" to generate that revenue. That $130 Million was reported at the same time they were trying to raise another $120 Million to support their "growth". Is Cylance out of the "startup" phase and in the phase where profits are being realized? How much of it's "potential" was tied up in their Dell partnership?

Lot's of questions... Why some guidance from Chen would be of help, now that the deal is done. Hopefully in June at the investors meeting he will offer up some answers that will help investors see what the potential under BlackBerry's leadership is. That could be a big turning point....

My view is Chen is a smart guy...
    02-25-19 11:04 AM
    $130 Million was the last project yearly revenue for Cylance... what we didn't see is how much it "cost" to generate that revenue. That $130 Million was reported at the same time they were trying to raise another $120 Million to support their "growth". Is Cylance out of the "startup" phase and in the phase where profits are being realized? How much of it's "potential" was tied up in their Dell partnership?

Lot's of questions... Why some guidance from Chen would be of help, now that the deal is done. Hopefully in June at the investors meeting he will offer up some answers that will help investors see what the potential under BlackBerry's leadership is. That could be a big turning point....

My view is Chen is a smart guy...
    Carbon Black should be pretty comparable. Same industry, comparable revenue figures, seems to be the top 2 competitor of Cylance along with Crowdstrike. Ticker symbol is : CBLK.
    Greened likes this.
    02-25-19 01:20 PM
    Why some guidance from Chen would be of help, now that the deal is done.
    Chen mentioned that substantially more information will be made available at the next earnings. We're also heading into the quiet period so I wouldn't expect much in the next few days.
    02-25-19 01:33 PM
    Carbon Black should be pretty comparable. Same industry, comparable revenue figures, seems to be the top 2 competitor of Cylance along with Crowdstrike. Ticker symbol is : CBLK.
    If I look a CBLK since it went public a few months ago ... it seems to be going in the wrong direction. From a high of $34 down to $13. Is it just them, or their segment of the Industry? They like Cylance have seen strong growth in the past.... but their guidance for this year doesn't show that growth continuing. Why?

Will be interesting to see how Crowdstrike's IPO goes.... I expect as major investors, Dell's announcement about Crowdstrike was just a little "strategic".
    FeitaInc, _dimi_, W Hoa and 1 others like this.
    02-25-19 02:08 PM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BlackBerry hits pause on annual phone upgrade trend

Don't expect a BlackBerry Key3 for at least another half year. But maybe we'll see a 5G version in 2020.
    Not likely to see a new phone until 2020..... by some accounts....

Posted via CB10
    02-26-19 02:14 PM
    Not likely to see a new phone until 2020..... by some accounts....

Posted via CB10
    By others it just not for six months...

Possible we will see something this fall, it really next year when KEYone updates end that give BBMo it's biggest opportunity for upgrading existing users.
    02-26-19 03:44 PM
113,256 ... 43144315431643174318 ...