View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    As I'm reading today that Denso is opening up a AI Lab in Montreal, I remember that they have BB as a partner for Automobile HMI (Human Machine Interface) Platform.
    Denso is a major Tier One supplier to Toyota
    rarsen, Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    01-10-19 02:47 PM
    LOL I post the news bits in an attempt to raise our hopes a bit. The stock price, not so much.
    I know, man...great job too! I just throw in my two bits of sarcasm occasionally.
    W Hoa, Corbu, La Emperor and 3 others like this.
    01-10-19 03:05 PM
    Dr Chen, thanks for thinking of the future and not the past or present!!!!! News is the past or present and not the future.
    01-10-19 05:45 PM
    morganplus8, rarsen and La Emperor like this.
    01-11-19 10:07 AM
    A question among others when considering home electronics:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-electronic-spying-bbs3z4t.jpg
    Corbu, morganplus8, W Hoa and 1 others like this.
    01-12-19 09:17 AM
    Things are pretty quiet around this forum and Blackberry after CES. I suppose they're all recuperating after all the late night Vegas parties etc.

I suppose the next major Blackberry event will be the closing of the Cylance deal in February which will trigger a positive or negative response in the markets. Further the government shutdown and the China trade issues will also weigh on the markets in the near term. I'm predicting a sideways or even more likely a negative market for the next three or four months.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on the direction of Blackberry stock or are we all still in shock over the recent SP implosion.
    morganplus8, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    01-14-19 11:11 AM
    Things are pretty quiet around this forum and Blackberry after CES. I suppose they're all recuperating after all the late night Vegas parties etc.

I suppose the next major Blackberry event will be the closing of the Cylance deal in February which will trigger a positive or negative response in the markets. Further the government shutdown and the China trade issues will also weigh on the markets in the near term. I'm predicting a sideways or even more likely a negative market for the next three or four months.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on the direction of Blackberry stock or are we all still in shock over the recent SP implosion.
    I think the general direction of the stock is up. Cylance will be a positive and QNX is taking names.

I have bought as much as I could while keeping my ratios intact. Hopefully better days ahead
    01-14-19 12:45 PM
    Update on Baidu's Apollo Platform Program ( we know QNX is foundation software of the platform )

"As of today, the platform has grown into one of the largest autonomous driving ecosystems in the world, bringing together over 130 global partners and used by over 12,000 developers and partners worldwide. "
    https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...-CES-2019.html
    Corbu, W Hoa, FeitaInc and 3 others like this.
    01-14-19 01:44 PM
    I suppose the next major Blackberry event will be the closing of the Cylance deal in February
    Cylance deal completion has fallen victim to the US government shut down apparently and is currently in limbo pending resolution of same. It may have something to do with the approval process. I cannot find a source to back this up but I believe it was stated during a CES event.
    morganplus8, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    01-14-19 02:09 PM
    Update on Baidu's Apollo Platform Program ( we know QNX is foundation software of the platform )

"As of today, the platform has grown into one of the largest autonomous driving ecosystems in the world, bringing together over 130 global partners and used by over 12,000 developers and partners worldwide. "
    https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...-CES-2019.html
    My understanding is that Apollo *can* be hosted on QNX(Neutrino). The intention, though, is to support multiple real time kernels, and RTLinux is actually the first one they support.

Reference: https://github.com/ApolloAuto/apollo-kernel

Also worth noting that BB is not listed as a partner in the IOV OS section:

Apollo

So it's not entirely clear how the success of Apollo will drive QNX rev in the long run. Hopefully it will, but that's not so clear.
    La Emperor, dusdal, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    01-14-19 02:32 PM
    Cylance deal completion has fallen victim to the US government shut down apparently and is currently in limbo pending resolution of same. It may have something to do with the approval process. I cannot find a source to back this up but I believe it was stated during a CES event.
    Indeed, W Hoa. It was mentioned a few times, notably by John Chen himself in two of his interviews, if I remember correctly. Here, after the 1 minute mark.

https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/sta...67604279779329
    W Hoa, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    01-14-19 03:42 PM
    My understanding is that Apollo *can* be hosted on QNX(Neutrino). The intention, though, is to support multiple real time kernels, and RTLinux is actually the first one they support.

Reference: https://github.com/ApolloAuto/apollo-kernel

Also worth noting that BB is not listed as a partner in the IOV OS section:

Apollo

So it's not entirely clear how the success of Apollo will drive QNX rev in the long run. Hopefully it will, but that's not so clear.
    Indeed, not entirely clear. But, for context:
    BlackBerry and Baidu Partnering to Accelerate Connected and Autonomous Vehicle Technology

The companies have signed a statement of intent to make BlackBerry QNX’s industry-leading ISO26262 ASIL-D certified safety operating system (OS) the foundation for Baidu’s Apollo autonomous driving open platform. Also, BlackBerry and Baidu will work together to integrate Baidu’s CarLife, the leading smartphone integration software for connected cars in China, as well as its conversational AI system DuerOS, and high definition maps to run on the BlackBerry QNX Car (Infotainment) Platform.
    01-14-19 03:45 PM

BlackBerry
    Uploaded on Jan 10, 2019
    Embedded into over 120 million vehicles on the road today with 270+ automotive programs and 100% SOP deadlines met - see what makes #BBQNX an automotive software leader.
    01-14-19 08:09 PM
    So to add to the recent Zacks 'Strong Buy' rating, RBC Capital has a 'Sector Perform' as of today.
    Feels like pressure is building here. As soon as this Gov't shutdown fiasco is through, then we may ramp up into next ER. If the shutdown continues though, how would that affect BlackBerry income??

What a strange moment in trading history, eh?

Also, apparently Ford has a surprise with an electric vehicle launch next year, so that should pan out for BlackBerry.
    01-14-19 09:57 PM

Also, apparently Ford has a surprise with an electric vehicle launch next year, so that should pan out for BlackBerry.
    One frustration I have with BB is the lack of detail surrounding certain deals. Ford is a classic example. BB has a long and robust presence with them yet little is known about what revenues might flow from the relationship. I suppose it's a licensing deal but for which products and for what lines over how long ?

Historically, QNX was the poster child for bad deals and gave away a lot of licenses at $5 per unit or even free if the project seemed sexy enough. I'm speculating Chen has had to work through a change in perceived value within the auto industry in order to move the pricing needle to significantly higher numbers.

Still, we don't get to clearly understand their pricing deals to attempt to extrapolate revenue impacts from these larger relationships.
    01-15-19 09:23 AM
    One frustration I have with BB is the lack of detail surrounding certain deals. Ford is a classic example. BB has a long and robust presence with them yet little is known about what revenues might flow from the relationship. I suppose it's a licensing deal but for which products and for what lines over how long ?

Historically, QNX was the poster child for bad deals and gave away a lot of licenses at $5 per unit or even free if the project seemed sexy enough. I'm speculating Chen has had to work through a change in perceived value within the auto industry in order to move the pricing needle to significantly higher numbers.

Still, we don't get to clearly understand their pricing deals to attempt to extrapolate revenue impacts from these larger relationships.
    John Chen has addressed this on many occasions, he mentioned that value-added features and entrenchment of the QNX eco system will show up in 2020 and beyond. I believe him, they needed to maintain scale while introducing new features. I think BB has succeeded in doing this and the numbers he mentioned, $ 20 - $ 25 per unit are achievable. We heard for the longest time that 60M vehicles used QNX, one day, that number popped to 120M. Institutional funds are usually deployed well before the fact and so I believe 2019 will be the year that this play moves in anticipation of those numbers. BB could easily end this year in the $ 12.00/US plus area as guidance begins to focuse on 2020 and beyond.

And so the question is, when do you buy BB in anticipation of 2020? I would think one more Q and we'll begin to focus much more on the prospects for 2020. It a steal at these levels when you look the potential of this company going forward.
    rarsen, Corbu, La Emperor and 4 others like this.
    01-15-19 10:18 AM

It's tricky with BlackBerry disclosing to the public, being the nature of their business. From what we hear at ER's, they are told to keep things hush; I suppose for obvious reasons.
    I imagine Chen at times feels like Sylvester with Tweety Bird in his mouth.

This Ford relationship is interesting though, and that new Mustang GT500 has me drooling on my Passport. I can't wait to peek under the hood (to discover QNX - LoL).

BlackBerry did used to break-down income from each arm, but that seemed to give constant rise to bashers' that were worse than now.
    Personally, I am happy to just see the bottom-line magic number at ER, as it leaves room for some speculation, and also room for temporary drops in any area, without lending to the naysayers' agenda.
    01-15-19 12:37 PM
    if I may, M8, any thoughts on near terms development for EYPT?

all normal disclaimers apply, and whatever I decide to do will be on me.
    background for the question is that I have to sell some stocks to pay for a nice face lift on our house (changing cladding).
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-15-19 12:39 PM
    if I may, M8, any thoughts on near terms development for EYPT?

all normal disclaimers apply, and whatever I decide to do will be on me.
    background for the question is that I have to sell some stocks to pay for a nice face lift on our house (changing cladding).
    As you can see, the stock has rallied back to the option pricing level for all of the executives, both new and old. Today, on a TA basis, it is so close to going on a major rally here, it needs to clear $ 2.40/shr and then the fun begins. There is a video on StocktTwits this morning from a poster named "displaystocks" ... have a listen to that. In addition, they launch a fullscale sell program on two products starting this Q. The potential is anormous so please keep this in mind. The stock has actually broken out of a downtrend line so all it has to do is pop above $ 2.40/shr on volume.

I love this play, I hold a large position in it and think I'll continue to hold it for at least $ 5.00 more. This is one of the best setups for a junior play. Plenty of cash, going to market with two block-busters and a tight management team who are all positioned to do very well on any breakout.
    01-15-19 02:03 PM
    As you can see, the stock has rallied back to the option pricing level for all of the executives, both new and old. Today, on a TA basis, it is so close to going on a major rally here, it needs to clear $ 2.40/shr and then the fun begins. There is a video on StocktTwits this morning from a poster named "displaystocks" ... have a listen to that. In addition, they launch a fullscale sell program on two products starting this Q. The potential is anormous so please keep this in mind. The stock has actually broken out of a downtrend line so all it has to do is pop above $ 2.40/shr on volume.

I love this play, I hold a large position in it and think I'll continue to hold it for at least $ 5.00 more. This is one of the best setups for a junior play. Plenty of cash, going to market with two block-busters and a tight management team who are all positioned to do very well on any breakout.
    assume this is the video you were thinking of. (?)

thanks M8! it is very seldom that I ask a question and get such a well reasoned and clear advice. ((and I'm paraphrasing here) "...sell something else!" is what I am reading.)

duly noted and bye bye index funds.

(I hadn't planned to sell EYPT, but then the price of the work is roughly 2X what I had planned. so that was great news..)
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 01-15-19 at 02:55 PM.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-15-19 02:42 PM

So this is the risk I see in Apollo. Right now if I'm a car manufacturer and it's time to (re)negotiate my contract with QNX, I'm thinking it's difficult/expensive to switch platforms and that factors into the negotiating power that QNX has.

It's different with a standard platform like Apollo. In an Apollo world, if I'm on that stack, then the switching cost to go to RTLinux is not as great. I may have to change very little since all my software is now written to the Apollo stack.

There is a similar story going on at VAG with their own internal stack for their brands. So in the long run, Chen's claim notwithstanding, I think there is actually a risk to the QNX position over time because RTLinux is "free". Now we know free is never free but maybe I pick QNX for $5. But at $10, maybe I'm looking a lot harder at RTLinux instead, especially if I'm on a stack that allows me to swap out the kernel easily. That's pricing pressure.

That would be my concern. I understand Chen's opinion on this. Looking at it from VAG or Toyota's perspective (which I'm doing a lot of lately for personal reasons), I may see this a bit differently.
    01-15-19 02:43 PM
    So this is the risk I see in Apollo. Right now if I'm a car manufacturer and it's time to (re)negotiate my contract with QNX, I'm thinking it's difficult/expensive to switch platforms and that factors into the negotiating power that QNX has.

It's different with a standard platform like Apollo. In an Apollo world, if I'm on that stack, then the switching cost to go to RTLinux is not as great. I may have to change very little since all my software is now written to the Apollo stack.

There is a similar story going on at VAG with their own internal stack for their brands. So in the long run, Chen's claim notwithstanding, I think there is actually a risk to the QNX position over time because RTLinux is "free". Now we know free is never free but maybe I pick QNX for $5. But at $10, maybe I'm looking a lot harder at RTLinux instead, especially if I'm on a stack that allows me to swap out the kernel easily. That's pricing pressure.

That would be my concern. I understand Chen's opinion on this. Looking at it from VAG or Toyota's perspective (which I'm doing a lot of lately for personal reasons), I may see this a bit differently.
    very good reasoning here.

as far as I can tell, what JC has stated, is kind of the "regulatory capture" approach where BB will say that RTLinux does not have the certifications or the right security pedigree for autonomous cars and those types of deployments. furthermore, this is where Jarvis + Cylance may change the competitive discussion a bit.

my 2 cents will be that I think it highly likely that future legislation on autonomous cars will probably expose automakers to a higher liability than the current model. this will probably be true with regards to liability exposure for direct and indirect/consequential damages, and especially true for being able to verify that the systems are and remain "un-hackable". in that paradigm, the liability discussion will probably be on an order of magnitude or more greater than the $5 vs $10 discussion between QNX and RTLinux. So, what I am saying is that I believe the market will move to BB, and the above mentioned dynamic will help sway the decision in favour of BB and QNX.

on a more personal note, I have yet to see a RTLinux (infotainment) system that is as nice to use as one based of QNX. (but that might be because I didn't know it was RTLinux.) so far, Toyota's infotainment system is a reason to buy something else.
    01-15-19 03:15 PM
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/simpl...sis-john-chen/
    The Simple Solution To The Technology Trust Crisis
    John Chen

Published on January 15, 2019

As the Internet of Things sits on the precipice of revolutionizing how we live and work, the world is facing a trust crisis. The blame is all too easily placed on bad actors, such as hackers, however the truth is this is a crisis that is borne by institutional leaders.

First, let’s consider the meaning of trust in the context of technology. Trust in the connected world is built on two things; security and privacy. Can we as individuals trust that the device we are using, whether a smartphone, a smart home appliance or a connected car, is truly secure? Do we have any confidence that our personal data is not being used or sold without our consent?

Many leaders, namely CEO’s and government officials, are participating in the rhetoric on security and privacy. The conversation is more common than ever before and there are even conferences dedicated to discussing the problem and possible solutions. Trust though is not built by talk. Trust is based on evidence, evidence that comes together to form trustworthiness.

The answer to the crisis is a simple one. We must own our individual data and be given the transparent choice to monetize or otherwise leverage it. The problem only becomes complex when organizations put profits before ethics.

Governments can enable the solution as they have the authority to put legislation in place that sets the ownership of personal data in the individuals hands. To meaningfully address the issue, the legislation must proactively protect personal data and not just reactively enforce penalties on organizations when data is comprised.

It is the economic, social and ethical, responsibility of technology leaders to build security and privacy into their products by design. The ask is not a tall one. First, build products that have security ingrained in each layer of the product and commit to no backdoors. Second, respect that an individual’s personal data is theirs and do not profit from the data or use it without their consent, which must be transparently obtained.

Today, many players in the technology industry associate data with profits and may need to reimagine their business models without it. In actuality sustainable value is mutual, between the industry and end users, and is enabled by trust. It is well-noted that there is a very strong positive relationship between trust and GDP and it is natural to assume this correlation will only grow.

The benefits of being increasingly connected are vast, from improving the detection and treatment of disease, to enabling developing countries to grow and many more applications that have not yet even been explored or defined. Leaders have a responsibility to build credible trust between technology and people, for this potential to be realized.

The technology sector knows there is great power in simplicity. Let us apply the same standard of simplicity to data privacy.

John
    01-15-19 08:23 PM
    01-15-19 08:30 PM
    01-15-19 08:33 PM
113,250 ... 43054306430743084309 ...