Defendant: BlackBerry Corporation
    Case Number: 3:2018cv03156
    Filed: November 29, 2018
    Court: Texas Northern District Court
    Presiding Judge: Sam R Cummings
    Nature of Suit: Property Rights: Patent
    Cause of Action: 15:1126
    Jury Demanded By: Plaintiff"

A Google search for Info on Rainey Circuit LLC produced zero results, but a search of Rainey Circuit produced several results for a high tech patent attorney named Richard Rainey.

https://www.cov.com/en/professionals/r/richard-rainey

Pure speculation, but with many reports recently surrounding Facebook and how they target opponents and their work to discredit them, you have to wonder if the stock price action and some of these frivolous suits are related? A suit can be filed for $400.

Would be interesting to search a business registry in Texas to find who registered this LLC & Uniloc to follow the money trail behind the suits.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-18 09:59 AM
    Since BlackBerry filed the patent suit against Facebook on 3/16/18 in CA:

-patent suits filed against BB:
    5/29 - Affinity Labs of Texas LLC filed in CA
    7/23 - Uniloc USA Inc filed (5) in TX
    9/4 - FB counter suit in CA
    10/26 - American Patents LLC filed in TX
    11/17 - Uniloc 2017 LLC filed (4) in TX
    11/29 - Rainey Circuit LLC filed in TX

Info on Texas patent suits:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pate...21.dk4tHrEsw54

Posted via CB10
    11-30-18 10:21 AM
    Blackberry will stay the same and nothing will change.
    I bloody well hope that isn't the case. What do you mean? It will keep on posting so-so Non-GAAP numbers while GAAP numbers are negative and slowly erodes book value and the share price? It will keep on manufacturing phones? I just don't get what you point is given that the last 5 years instituting a 180 degree turn accompanied by a 90% revenue drop,, 1000% margin increases, and completely changing the business model is nothing other than a rapid, drastic change that we're still in the midst of and is most likely the only thing that staved off bankruptcy. Nothing will change? We've just dropped a third of our market cap on a promising upstart, QNX seems to be growing well and is a leader in it's field, lots of promising contracts in other areas, and a revenue stream that was an afterthought in 2013 is responsible for the lions share of revs today. So I absolutely hope the next year looks nothing like the past 5 and we're due for a massive change which involves more growth, GAAP profits, and no more billion dollar write downs.

BlackBerry will continue to be the best at what it does and the ship will continue to sail (not your ship JC.) Lol

Blackberry has always been the best and still is!!!
    Again, not sure what the point of such bombast is. Look at phones. It hasn't been the best since about 2008. It's sadly barely even been a player since before BB10. It's certainly a leader in many fields, and could argue *the* leader with QNX for cars the rest of the components are up there while facing lots of competition. A great shot at being a leader in end point once Cylance closes. Chen I feel is still in the middle of the turn around, right about to actually show some growth and go in for the kill after quietly arranging the chess pieces for the last 5 years. To that end though, there is still a lot to be done, and growth that actually needs to take place before you could confidently call them "the best".
    11-30-18 12:28 PM
    Thanks for your rant, that's all it is. Don't know what I mean!! ask and I will explain or not. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Cheers mates and all the best!!
    11-30-18 02:13 PM

Cylance Inc.

Published on Nov 28, 2018

The Opera House is one of the world’s busiest performing arts centers and Australia’s number one tourist destination. Each year it attracts more than 8.2 million visitors on site and stages more than 2,000 performances attended by over 1.5 million people.

Since opening its doors in 1973, the Opera House has become the symbol of modern Australia and the country’s premier tourist destination, with an iconic or national-identity value that Deloitte Access Economics has estimated at $4.6 billion.

On the Opera House’s 40th anniversary, it embarked on a Decade of Renewal, a series of projects to prepare the Opera House for future generations of artists, audiences and visitors.

Renewal isn’t just about the building and the arts; it’s also about renewing technology and systems. This enabled the Opera House to engage VMtech and Cylance to modernize its IT server and network infrastructure, as well as information management, privacy, and cybersecurity.
    12-01-18 08:37 AM
    Seasons Greetings!

Shout out to our mystery friend who promptly updated the Cylance Wiki page:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Cylance Inc.

Industry: Computer security
    Founded: 2012
    Founder: Stuart McClure, Ryan Permeh
    Headquarters: United States
    Services: Anti-virus, Anti-malware
    Owner BlackBerry Limited
    Websitewww.cylance.com
    Cylance Inc. is an American software firm founded in 2012. It develops antivirus programs and other kinds of computer software that prevent, rather than reactively detect, viruses and malware. The company is based in Irvine, California.[1] Cylance has been described as “the first company to apply artificial intelligence, algorithmic science and machine learning to cyber security.”[2] On November 16, 2018, BlackBerry Limited purchased Cylance for $1.4 Billion.[3]

PS - Do any keen minds here know if Cylance has a software patent on their algorithm? I am pondering the attachment to the BlackBerry Elliptical Curve patent. I wonder if they will mesh the two to provide a super app???
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    12-01-18 01:58 PM
    You can perhaps look here for an answer, Bacon...
    https://patents.justia.com/assignee/cylance-inc
    12-01-18 02:14 PM
    Another "must have" certification that consultants and corporate educators will fan-out to inform companies of it's critical drop-dead importance to their futures, make some great fees and then slowly fade into the background never to be heard from again.

Still, makes for a nice puffery press release when you don't have anything better to say.
    12-01-18 02:16 PM
    If JC went ahead and changed name to Cylance now, he'd be giving away a fantastic comeback story just as the comeback was about to get off the ground. say what you want about people not being up to date on what BB does, but the one thing most know is that BB = security. cannot agree more with what M8 just wrote, that given some nice numbers, the same people who are bashing BB now will probably do a little two-step and recalibrate what they "know" to be true about BB.
    Well said.
    I can't wait to try my 'little two-step' come this ER because I hold a small Yacht-sized amount; albeit less than a couple here.

That being said, (and bouncing off M8's rebuttal from Seadog), I was trying to do a quick tally in my noggin regarding what kind of Return on Investment that we should expect to see going forth. M8 stated that BlackBerry was just using idle money at hand, so even though 'we' (heh) paid a bomb for Cylance, the expected ROI should be exponential(?).
    The tricky thing here is quantifying what that means in this explosion of IoT and AI....
    12-01-18 02:18 PM
    You can perhaps look here for an answer, Bacon...
    https://patents.justia.com/assignee/cylance-inc
    Wow! This is true AI.
    Amongst the many patents held in good standing (which now BlackBerry owns), Cylance is using 'Convolutional Neural Networking', which tries to mimic human and animal biological processes!

Here is a link for the other nerds amongst us: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convol...neural_network

Side thought: I just hope BlackBerry doesn't use CNN to describe how Cylance software algorithms function, because that would enable many to shout "Fake News!" and that would drop our stock price.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    12-01-18 02:37 PM
    OT on important security breaches, with so many of them recently now including Marriott and Dell :

Marriott discloses massive data breach affecting up to 500 million guests
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...?noredirect=on

Dell announces security breach
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/dell-a...24037827013043
    While Dell has downplayed the incident's impact, it is worth mentioning that many breached companies amend these initial revelations as their investigations advance.
    Besides resetting passwords, Dell.com users should manually review what information they've stored in their respective accounts. In case they've saved financial information, they should keep an eye on card statements, to be on the safe side.
    12-02-18 08:31 AM
    Anyone with thoughts as to why BB stock seems to be being "punished" for the recent Cylance acquisition ? One would presume the stock valuation would be perportionaly improved.

Seems counterintuitive to the facts.
    12-03-18 10:18 AM
    Anyone with thoughts as to why BB stock seems to be being "punished" for the recent Cylance acquisition ? One would presume the stock valuation would be perportionaly improved.

I think BlackBerry is a "Show me" holding right now. They have to demonstrate that things are growing. The market will not give BlackBerry the benefit of the doubt after so many years of slow to no growth. Stay long.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-03-18 12:49 PM
    OT with exposure to perils of security:

Marriott sued hours after announcing data breach
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/marrio...g-data-breach/
    One class-action lawsuit is seeking $12.5 billion in damages.

And over the years after receiving numerous flaky financial propositions from all over the globe, if I had lots of time would lead him down deep in the rabbit hole and enjoy totally make him waste his time:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20181203_073144.jpg
    12-03-18 12:56 PM

It's for the same reason that it gets punished after announcing promising partnerships. The same reason it gets punished after beating earnings several times in a row, and the same reason it gets punished after showing better than expected growth in QNX and a 100% increase in the number of cars adopting it over a 3 year period.

In short, it gets punished because it's Blackberry. Growth, beating expectations, lock and key partnerships don't matter as long as it's blackberry.

Sadly I think it will remain so until the growth and profitability is more obvious than a punch in the face. Disheartening as nearly any other company would be given the benefit of the doubt. Some comments I've read have actually had people second guessing Cylance because of BB's interest. "Well if BB wants it, I guess it isn't all it was cracked up to be..."

However, the upside to use an analogy I read somewhere else, is for each little gain which goes ignored or pushed down, it's like a spring coiling. Once it does become obvious that BB is a player again and people rush in, watch out.
    12-03-18 01:32 PM
    OT with exposure to perils of security:

Marriott sued hours after announcing data breach
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/marrio...g-data-breach/
    One class-action lawsuit is seeking $12.5 billion in damages.

And over the years after receiving numerous flaky financial propositions from all over the globe, if I had lots of time would lead him down deep in the rabbit hole and enjoy totally make him waste his time:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181203_073144.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	441607
    Just to add to this, the first time I got this email, it was accompanied by a "your email is this, and your password is this: XXXX" and the scary thing was that it was an actual password I have used in the past, so it gave me pause for a second.

A handy tool for passwords is: https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

which basically checks a database of compromised passwords that have been stolen over the years.
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    12-03-18 01:37 PM
    A handy tool for passwords is: https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

which basically checks a database of compromised passwords that have been stolen over the years.
    But wouldn’t checking a password using that site add it to a prioritized list of passwords any brute force attacker will use if the service is compromised?
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    12-03-18 03:49 PM
    OT for weekend reading files:

What is cyberwar? Everything you need to know about the frightening future of digital conflict
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/cyberw...line-conflict/
    Cyberwarfare could turn every gadget you own into a weapon on a virtual battlefield. And the damage will be felt in the real world. Pretty much every single nation with the money and the skills is investing in cyberwarfare and cyberdefence capabilities. According to US intelligence chiefs, more than 30 countries are developing offensive cyber attack capabilities, although most of these government hacking programmes are shrouded in secrecy. This has lead to concerns that a secret cyber arms race has already begun.
    morganplus8, Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    12-04-18 07:39 AM
    Blind Smartphone Camera Test. BlackBerry Key2 beats IPhone X & LG V40

https://www.ubergizmo.com/2018/12/bl...e-camera-test/

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, La Emperor and dusdal like this.
    12-04-18 09:25 AM
    Sorta of... in the end he explains why. Doesn't really make the BlackBerry look good after that.
    12-04-18 10:23 AM
    This is a comment attached to an AAPL downgrade today but sure sounds like BlackBerry over the last 5 years.

"While we understand the company's interest of not disclosing unit sales of hardware and focusing more on service gross margin, investor enthusiasm could be the victim of a lengthy transition phase as the focus shifts."
    12-04-18 11:02 AM
    Blind Smartphone Camera Test. BlackBerry Key2 beats IPhone X & LG V40

https://www.ubergizmo.com/2018/12/bl...e-camera-test/

Posted via CB10
    Nice find! That was interesting, it seems that everyone was caught off guard when their fav phone bombed. Then the excuses rolled out purely as a form of embarassment control on the part of those dreamers, sorry, experts. The blond doesn't count because she can say anything she wants and I'm not listening. But the guys gathered up their self-esteem and tried to make sense of it all. In the end, votes are what matters and with all of the controls in place you have your results. Respect.

So now they need to apply a subjective control via brightness & colour adjustments to test the theory as to why vast numbers of votes went straight to "ugly pictures" just because they looked so dam good. Its not fair that during a test like this one, the better looking pictures should handily win. Next time, put the BlackBerry logo discretely near the corresponding picture so that the rest of us can get a heads up when we are trying to work the results. Its not fair for anyone not to know where Apple is in all of this. They are the greatest company on earth and deserve special treatment all the time.

Everytime I take a picture with my BlackBerry, and admire it so much, I'll always remember that other phones take pictures as well and some people like them too.
    12-04-18 11:09 AM
    Down another 5% today on no news...is this market-wide or did I miss something? smh
    morganplus8 likes this.
    12-04-18 04:37 PM
    Down another 5% today on no news...is this market-wide or did I miss something? smh

Trump used his words again and the Dow Jones dropped 800 pts closing at the low of the day and the NASD closed down almost 4% with bond yields inverting. This was a very bad day for the market as the DOW blew through its 200-dma and its 50-dma and closed at the low. It is rare that a stock is up on a day like today and there is little confidence that we have hit bottom. Thanks goes to DT.
    Corbu, rampagingpanda and rarsen like this.
    12-04-18 04:54 PM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Trump used his words again and the Dow Jones dropped 800 pts closing at the low of the day and the NASD closed down almost 4% with bond yields inverting. This was a very bad day for the market as the DOW blew through its 200-dma and its 50-dma and closed at the low. It is rare that a stock is up on a day like today and there is little confidence that we have hit bottom. Thanks goes to DT.
    Indeed.... interestingly sphs was green today....

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    12-04-18 05:35 PM
113,256 ... 42934294429542964297 ...