View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT -- Not too confidant that Trade War money waste, will not influence investments and accelerate an eventual recession? Even more when these are led by someone having more than one bankruptcy and likes his relations stormy. We live in strange times.

Trump trade war: Tariffs readied for further $200b in Chinese imports
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/trump-...24037827013043
    Trump has warned that he could tax up to $550 billion in Chinese products, exceeding the US' total imports from China during 2017. Republican Senate Finance Chairman Orrin Hatch called the announcement on Tuesday "reckless" and untargeted. According to research by Singapore's DBS Bank, an all-out trade war could shave off 0.25 percent of the GDP of both economies this year, with more damage expected in 2019.

Tesla signs deal in China to build 2nd global assembly plant
    http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...assembly-plant
    [url]https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/nation-now/tesla-to-build-factory-in-china-as-tariffs-bring-urgency/465-e0b86760-6a6e-46a8-88a3-46b7807b1b0b[url]
    At same time as discussions on Trade-wars, Tesla builds new plant in China with capacity to build 500,000 vehicles annually. Tesla plans to build its own factory in Shanghai's free-trade zone, allowing it to bypass a joint venture that is typically utilized by automakers in China, according to the New York Times. Tesla raised prices on cars in China after the trade dispute between President Donald Trump and China prompted the tariff hike from 25 percent to 40 percent. Manufacturing the vehicles in China would exempt them from those tariffs.
    Tesla follows Harley-Davidson Inc. in charting plans to expand outside the U.S. to circumvent tariffs under Trump’s escalating trade disputes.
    Last edited by rarsen; 07-12-18 at 08:18 AM.
    07-12-18 08:07 AM
    And why? Elon Musk talks every time about to be launched products or what he will do next. So name just one reason why Chen should talk about BBM consumer especically when there is a massive market opportunity?
    Name one reason for why I want JC to do something I don't want him to do? I gave you my reasoning, which was:

Overall I think BB will be hard pressed to make a single narrative stick in the public perception, and I would want that to be IOT/QNX/autonomous cars or something to that effect. something new that can move the brand forward. and some headlines on growth and profitability.
    But when you suck in execution like Chen and his management, you do not get people onboard.
    time will tell. and for the record, lets agree to disagree on JC and his teams skills at execution.

So you have no information and at the same moment claim that it is not as simple as that? IMHO it is very simple: John Chen and his team are big BS talkers and are lacking the skills in marketing and sales to exceute.
    I have the publicly available information, but in general I tend try to assume people are smart, do what they can while I try to avoid "The Delusion of Single Explanations" (as defined in "The Halo Effect" ).

and remember that JC already have replaced on SVP of Sales for not meeting his targets.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 07-12-18 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added last sentence. and the link to wikipedia
    Corbu, morganplus8 and La Emperor like this.
    07-12-18 08:14 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    OT -- Not too confidant that Trade War money waste, will not influence investments and accelerate an eventual recession? Even more when these are led by someone having more than one bankruptcy and likes his relations stormy. We live in strange times.

Trump trade war: Tariffs readied for further $200b in Chinese imports
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/trump-...24037827013043
    Trump has warned that he could tax up to $550 billion in Chinese products, exceeding the US' total imports from China during 2017. Republican Senate Finance Chairman Orrin Hatch called the announcement on Tuesday "reckless" and untargeted. According to research by Singapore's DBS Bank, an all-out trade war could shave off 0.25 percent of the GDP of both economies this year, with more damage expected in 2019.

Tesla signs deal in China to build 2nd global assembly plant
    http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...assembly-plant
    [url]https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/nation-now/tesla-to-build-factory-in-china-as-tariffs-bring-urgency/465-e0b86760-6a6e-46a8-88a3-46b7807b1b0b[url]
    At same time as discussions on Trade-wars, Tesla builds new plant in China with capacity to build 500,000 vehicles annually. Tesla plans to build its own factory in Shanghai's free-trade zone, allowing it to bypass a joint venture that is typically utilized by automakers in China, according to the New York Times. Tesla raised prices on cars in China after the trade dispute between President Donald Trump and China prompted the tariff hike from 25 percent to 40 percent. Manufacturing the vehicles in China would exempt them from those tariffs.
    Tesla follows Harley-Davidson Inc. in charting plans to expand outside the U.S. to circumvent tariffs under Trump’s escalating trade disputes.
    Markets on fire... seems investors have either tuned out Trump or feel economy / stock market $$$s "trumps" all else... shock effect of Trump no longer a factor.. they expect this from him every day down there..

Posted via CB10
    07-12-18 10:36 AM
    Markets on fire... seems investors have either tuned out Trump or feel economy / stock market $$$s "trumps" all else... shock effect of Trump no longer a factor.. they expect this from him every day down there..

Posted via CB10
    Markets on fire since stocks are running on back burner, only at BB the fire is from burning away on its coast downward back to all time lows
    techvisor likes this.
    07-12-18 11:06 AM
    Hi M8,

If you have a minute could you set some clarity on my thoughts please as I am new to options and still learning the basic.

What I wanted to is write options for premium and I thought I understood that I must use "sell to open" order but my order is not getting fill.
    Could it could be that there is no buyer?

So basically I have some shares in my portfolio that I would like to sell at a strike price at a certain date. Please let me know how I could do that.
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    07-12-18 05:25 PM
    Opinion article for weekend reading:

18 Stocks That Could Be Takeover Targets
    https://www.nasdaq.com/article/18-st...rgets-cm989434
    "BlackBerry (BB) -- Source: Shutterstock
    On this site late last year, Larry Ramer argued that BlackBerry (NYSE: BB ) was a prime takeover target . Ramer isn't alone in that argument. Noted short-seller Citron Research made a similar claim last year in arguing that BB stock had the potential to double .
    Rumors of potential acquirers have swirled for some time. BlackBerry of course almost went private back in 2013 at $9-per-share. Two years later, the company reportedly was in talks with Samsung about an acquisition.
    There's still a logical takeover case for BlackBerry at the moment. The phone business is gone, leaving an attractive software business. The QNX operating system has a real role to play in ensuring security for autonomous driving . BlackBerry's patents have real value, with potential upside from a filed suit against Facebook (NASDAQ: FB ). And with over $2 billion in cash on the books, another go-private transaction could work as well.
    BB stock, meanwhile, has pulled back below $10 despite a Q1 earnings beat . Investors are worried that the company's turnaround simply isn't progressing fast enough (indeed, I've made that argument myself ). But with real value in the software and the nameplate, it simply may be that the turnaround could be better executed under different ownership."
    07-12-18 07:25 PM
    Opinion article for weekend reading:

18 Stocks That Could Be Takeover Targets
    https://www.nasdaq.com/article/18-st...rgets-cm989434
    "BlackBerry (BB) -- Source: Shutterstock
    .......... But with real value in the software and the nameplate, it simply may be that the turnaround could be better executed under different ownership."
    Or leadership
    techvisor likes this.
    07-13-18 04:28 AM
    Or leadership
    Do you have a reccomendation for potentially better leaders interested in accelerating Blackberry’s growth and do better PR?
    morganplus8, Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    07-13-18 07:51 AM
    Hi M8,

If you have a minute could you set some clarity on my thoughts please as I am new to options and still learning the basic.

What I wanted to is write options for premium and I thought I understood that I must use "sell to open" order but my order is not getting fill.
    Could it could be that there is no buyer?

So basically I have some shares in my portfolio that I would like to sell at a strike price at a certain date. Please let me know how I could do that.
    Hi Masterful!

I'm on the road in America so it might take me a bit to get back to you. If you can post the strike price you are after, the month as well, I'll call up the series as best I can and comment on on the likelihood of your trade going through. Please include the number of contacts too!
    07-13-18 09:12 AM
    FWIW, good to see that the K2 has just received a fairly hefty update in China:
    https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/07/1...ecurity-patch/
    BlackBerry KEY² gets updated in China, brings July’s security patch

07-13-18 09:12 AM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    FWIW, good to see that the K2 has just received a fairly hefty update in China:
    https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/07/1...ecurity-patch/
    BlackBerry KEY² gets updated in China, brings July’s security patch
    Indeed very good news .. it means they are moving very quickly to address early feedback from users, feedback comments and issues and testing the updates first in their base there .. before rolling out the updates outside of china …. I think they are definitely improving all aspects from the rollout of the KeyOne .. good sign …
    La Emperor, rarsen, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    07-13-18 10:03 AM
    A nice testimonial from a Blackberry UEM user. A few weeks old article.

https://www.itworldcanada.com/articl...paign=lnkdnelv
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    07-13-18 01:53 PM
    Do you have a reccomendation for potentially better leaders interested in accelerating Blackberry’s growth and do better PR?
    No, why should I? I am not a memeber of the highly overpaid BOD of BlackBerry whose duty is to oversee the management and search for alternative candidates, if the ones in charge sucke. Just like the BOD of MSFT did when they finally fired Steve Ballmer.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-13-18 02:38 PM
    A nice testimonial from a Blackberry UEM user. A few weeks old article.

https://www.itworldcanada.com/articl...paign=lnkdnelv

That's a nice read and I'm glad BlackBerry is doing good things in government.

As a shareholder one of my frustrations has been a lack of serious revenue growth. BlackBerry has purchased several companies, bought a major competitor and gained access to additional clients, has developed a lot of enterprise based products such as BBM enterprise, secure voice, expanded the platform to other OS's etc.

For all the above and all the agreements and collaboration they have signed, combined with the non stop corporate hacks, privacy concerns and all other things that are BlackBerry's bread & butter, not much growth.

In previous earnings releases they released the sales orders, usually exceeding 3000. I just figured if they had an order to JP Morgan Chase or another massive financial client, that the orders would be more in the $25 million range or something. I recall a few earnings release back, John Chen mentioned how many "5 figure" deals they had for the FedRamp cyber security consultation business. 5 figures? In this climate? I've seen bills at a club or a bar for higher than that and we're talking beer, wine and champagne.

Hopefully they have a breakout quarter here soon with legacy revenue coming down significantly and they can drive the stock.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-18 02:55 PM
    No, why should I? I am not a memeber of the highly overpaid BOD of BlackBerry whose duty is to oversee the management and search for alternative candidates, if the ones in charge sucke. Just like the BOD of MSFT did when they finally fired Steve Ballmer.
    As a long term shareholder ( if you are not a shareholder dont even bother about Blackberry) if you have neither any clue nor any interest on anyone who can do a better job, then leave it to those who knows and cares.
    07-13-18 03:26 PM
    As a long term shareholder ( if you are not a shareholder dont even bother about Blackberry) if you have neither any clue nor any interest on anyone who can do a better job, then leave it to those who knows and cares.
    Sorry mate, but you are the kind of shareholder that are helping CEOs like John Chen stay on board too long while cashing in absurd high compensations. There were a lot like you at MSFT back in the Ballmer days until finally someone said: enough! Fire that stupid and arrogant *****, we need a real CEO. Hopefully John Chen and his buddies will hear these words soon, too.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-13-18 04:03 PM
    If I were Steven Fry I would just respond "sucke" is spelt "suck", but since I'm not I'll rather respond to your point, as much as you had one that is.

firstly, have you read what "The Delusion of Single Explanations" (as defined in "The Halo Effect") means? in short it is that it is a common misconception that a company's problem can be pinned down to one underlying and often simple reason. For instance for MSFT, the stock price has gone up post Steve Balmers exit => which must mean he was a terrible CEO, did nothing right, Satya Nadella is making all the rights moves and is the sole reason for the rise in price. after all, he knows business and how to speak to shareholders.

another approach is to say that the BOD, of which Steve B was a member, came up with a new strategic direction for the company, and (in true "our iceberg is melting" style) set that into play and cemented it by bringing in another CEO who came from the division that strategic direction was "based on". or put even more bluntly, Steve B and the BOD set into play the right early steps that lead to where MSFT is today.

If you look at this article in Fortune:

"For example, it was Ballmer who made it a priority to settle the hundreds of antitrust, class-action, and other lawsuits facing the company when he was appointed chief executive in January 2000. It was Ballmer who championed Microsoft’s foray into the living room, starting in 2001 with the Xbox gaming console. Ballmer was key to Microsoft evolving into an enterprise powerhouse, grasping early the financial and strategic importance of courting IT professionals. Ballmer also brought a new level of business rigor to the company, which led to it shedding a number of products and business units that couldn’t demonstrate their “monetizability.” "

and

"Starting with money: Under Ballmer, Microsoft’s profits doubled, revenues tripled. “In the last five years, probably Apple (AAPL, +0.15%) has made more money than we have,” Ballmer says during a sit-down in his office in Redmond, in what’s expected to be his final press interview as CEO. “But in the last 13 years, I bet we’ve made more money than almost anybody on the planet. And that, frankly, is a great source of pride to me.”"

I can't say whether that article is correct or not, but to paraphrase Tony Robbins (from "I'm not your guru"), "if you give somebody responsibility for something bad, you must also let them own the good things they have done.". that is what I meant with "it is not as simple as that". stop reducing arguments down to a simple single thing.

I think curves2000 hit the nail on the head in writing:

As a shareholder one of my frustrations has been a lack of serious revenue growth.
    Hopefully they have a breakout quarter here soon with legacy revenue coming down significantly and they can drive the stock.
    if that growth materialises, which I hope it will, feel free to say how terrible JC is while you run to collect all the money he has made you. that is if you don't start "shorting" again. :P

sorry for not keeping it shorter.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 07-13-18 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added last sentence + removed *****
    07-13-18 04:12 PM
    If I were Steven Fry I would just respond "sucke" is spelt "suck", but since I'm not I'll rather respond to your point, as much as you had one that is.

firstly, have you read what "The Delusion of Single Explanations" (as defined in "The Halo Effect") means? in short it is that it is a common misconception that a company's problem can be pinned down to one underlying and often simple reason. For instance for MSFT, the stock price has gone up post Steve Balmers exit => which must mean he was a terrible CEO, did nothing right, Satya Nadella is making all the rights moves and is the sole reason for the rise in price. after all, he knows business and how to speak to shareholders.

another approach is to say that the BOD, of which Steve B was a member, came up with a new strategic direction for the company, and (in true "our iceberg is melting" style) set that into play and cemented it by bringing in another CEO who came from the division that strategic direction was "based on". or put even more bluntly, Steve B and the BOD set into play the right early steps that lead to where MSFT is today.

"For example, it was Ballmer who made it a priority to settle the hundreds of antitrust, class-action, and other lawsuits facing the company when he was appointed chief executive in January 2000. It was Ballmer who championed Microsoft’s foray into the living room, starting in 2001 with the Xbox gaming console. Ballmer was key to Microsoft evolving into an enterprise powerhouse, grasping early the financial and strategic importance of courting IT professionals. Ballmer also brought a new level of business rigor to the company, which led to it shedding a number of products and business units that couldn’t demonstrate their “monetizability.” "

and

"Starting with money: Under Ballmer, Microsoft’s profits doubled, revenues tripled. “In the last five years, probably Apple (AAPL, +0.15%) has made more money than we have,” Ballmer says during a sit-down in his office in Redmond, in what’s expected to be his final press interview as CEO. “But in the last 13 years, I bet we’ve made more money than almost anybody on the planet. And that, frankly, is a great source of pride to me.”"

I can't say whether that article is correct or not, but to paraphrase Tony Robbins (from "I'm not your guru"), "if you give somebody responsibility for something bad, you must also let them own the good things they have done.". that is what I meant with "it is not as simple as that". stop reducing arguments down to a simple single thing.

if that growth materialises, which I hope it will, feel free to say how terrible JC is while you run to collect all the money he has made you. that is if you don't start "shorting" again. :P

The greater issue was saving BB when John Chen started with it’s unique set of great obstacles. It could not just exit hardware for monetary and optical reasons. If things were that easy, someone cheaper would have been hired.
    07-13-18 04:29 PM
    Sorry mate, but you are the kind of shareholder that are helping CEOs like John Chen stay on board too long while cashing in absurd high compensations. There were a lot like you at MSFT back in the Ballmer days until finally someone said: enough! Fire that stupid and arrogant *****, we need a real CEO. Hopefully John Chen and his buddies will hear these words soon, too.
    Sorry to you too mate as you are the kind of shareholder (or short seller) of no serious long term interest in the company and is just hanging around to make a quick buck in a day; not willing to spend any of your time to find your dream leader, and hoping that the board will magically do everything just to satisfy your wish.

You have all your right to either buy up enough shares to voice your opinion or invest in a company where your dream leader is. There is a lot of us here not interested in hearing your repetitive useless cries every day. You said once we heard it, you said it again , we understood your perspective. STOP SAYING THE SAME THINGS TEN TIMES A DAY AND MAKING THIS FORUM USELESS!!
    07-13-18 04:44 PM
    Thanks for replying M8!

First of I have only a margin account in Canada and will have one in US since all the excitement are there.

I own some ACB stocks and a few others in my trading account so I'm thinking that I could get some premium from it. So my order; a strike price at $16CAD of 40 contracts and expired on 101918 and oder "sell to open".

Maybe the strike price is too high and expires too soon.

Also I should have my margin account in the USD by next week and would like to do the same for SPHS and ACAD. So it would be really great that I could earn a few bucks while waiting for my shares called away.
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    07-13-18 05:16 PM

and

Ballemer was the right man at the right time. Problem was that times changed, but Ballmer failed to adapt. Same here with Chen. He stabilized the company and focused it on software, but he is not the right man to grow BlackBerry again IMHO since he lacks basic PR and communication skills. And no, cracking bad jokes about your customers is not a skill, it is annoying.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-14-18 09:41 AM
    Sorry to you too mate as you are the kind of shareholder (or short seller) of no serious long term interest in the company and is just hanging around to make a quick buck in a day; not willing to spend any of your time to find your dream leader, and hoping that the board will magically do everything just to satisfy your wish.

You have all your right to either buy up enough shares to voice your opinion or invest in a company where your dream leader is. There is a lot of us here not interested in hearing your repetitive useless cries every day. You said once we heard it, you said it again , we understood your perspective. STOP SAYING THE SAME THINGS TEN TIMES A DAY AND MAKING THIS FORUM USELESS!!
    As soon as John Chen is not being defended ten times a day no matter how much the share price drops due to Chen lowering the outlook or informing markets about the effect of a new accounting standard issued in May 2014 only at the last minute., I will stop posting ten times a day about what a bad CEO for a publich company John Chen is.
    techvisor likes this.
    07-14-18 09:44 AM
    Ballemer was the right man at the right time. Problem was that times changed, but Ballmer failed to adapt. Same here with Chen. He stabilized the company and focused it on software, but he is not the right man to grow BlackBerry again IMHO since he lacks basic PR and communication skills. And no, cracking bad jokes about your customers is not a skill, it is annoying.
    I think perhaps, this is where you’re diverging and the BOD has insights you don’t. BB isn’t ready for the growth mode you’re thinking. You think Chen is under promoting a growth company. I propose he’s still over promoting a recovering company by discussing current growth whereas it’s still future growth. The auto industry seems to be in disagreement with specific direction while only agreeing in general direction regarding QNX and where it should focus. Security is evolving and BB with it’s focus. However, BB isn’t healthy yet money-wise. It’s still recuperating nicely but not ready for the boxing ring.
    La Emperor, Corbu and farmwersteve like this.
    07-14-18 09:55 AM
    As soon as John Chen is not being defended ten times a day..... I will stop posting ten times a day
    I'm starting to believe YOU are John Chen and you are having serious issues about your abilities as a CEO. To bolster your ego you come here under the guise of a disgruntled shareholder and complain. Your true goal is to have people defend you and provide warm and satisfying compliments about your performance. j/k
    FeitaInc, Corbu, masterful and 1 others like this.
    07-14-18 12:27 PM
    I'm starting to believe YOU are John Chen and you are having serious issues about your abilities as a CEO. To bolster your ego you come here under the guise of a disgruntled shareholder and complain. Your true goal is to have people defend you and provide warm and satisfying compliments about your performance. j/k
    Or Jim B.
    Corbu, W Hoa, masterful and 1 others like this.
    07-14-18 01:13 PM
113,256 ... 42354236423742384239 ...