Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Rob Enderle:
    https://techspective.net/2018/05/25/...kberry-phones/
    The FBI Makes Accidental Argument for Why We Should All Be on Blackberry Phones

BigBadWulf, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    05-26-18 06:42 PM
    How can the FBI make such an argument when they like breakable OS from their own country? I want BB10 back and I'm not a hypocrite!!!!
    05-27-18 10:10 AM
    Now we know who wears the pants in the Morgan household. Yes Mrs Morganplus8! Morgan probably wears a Scotish quilt around the house. What a terrible image that entered my head and I don't have enough beer to extract that image. Lmho mates.
    No, no, no, Mrs. Morgan told me to never wear that kilt in the house again so I stopped immediately.

The good news for her is that I can't buy more of the same investment in SPHS now that it is priced higher today. This will make our bet far more interesting now.

...... Oh, that beer looks so good!

......And, let's give thanks to those who deserve it on this holiday. Peace everyone!
    Corbu, BigBadWulf, dusdal and 6 others like this.
    05-28-18 10:35 AM
    no, no, no, mrs. Morgan told me to never wear that kilt in the house again so i stopped immediately.

The good news for her is that i can't buy more of the same investment in sphs now that it is priced higher today. This will make our bet far more interesting now.

...... Oh, that beer looks so good!

......and, let's give thanks to those who deserve it on this holiday. Peace everyone!
    lmho mates!

Too bad the beer is in my stomach and going to my head. To late!
    Last edited by bbjdog; 05-28-18 at 05:41 PM.
    05-28-18 05:17 PM
    This is the second time my information has been hacked:

BMO and CIBC-owned Simplii Financial reveal hacks of customer data | CBC News

And they wonder why I need to have so many accounts.

Please help BlackBerry.
    Corbu, rarsen, Greened and 1 others like this.
    05-29-18 06:59 AM
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateofl.../#2cd8664029cc
    GDPR Compliance Stories: An Interview With BlackBerry's DPO

05-29-18 07:21 AM
    For those that monitor hardware and OS market positioning:

Smartphone sales bounce back in Q1; Xiaomi becomes a rising star
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/smartp...24037827013043

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-2018-05-29-table-1.png

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-2018-05-29-table-2.png
    05-29-18 09:04 AM
    bang for the buck, it's not hard to see why Xiaomi is growing. I just received a dual sim Redmi 5 Plus with 4G ram and 64G storage (for my dad, who's had battery problems with his DTek50)....all for under $300 cdn. This is a sweet phone, and well built.
    05-29-18 07:53 PM
    General information on the latest hack:

Hackers threaten to reveal personal data of 90,000 Canadians caught in bank hack
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...cid=spartandhp
    "Some of those things you can't change about yourself so I'm sure it's going to exist out there for as long as someone wants to look for it. McCarthy says he's heartened by the bank's response, offering free credit monitoring and some other services. But he still worries about what he calls "glaring gaps" in the banking system. "Who knows? Maybe I go back to showing up at the teller," he said. "I don't want to, but who knows what might happen next?"​"
    05-30-18 08:51 AM
    05-30-18 07:48 PM
    Meanwhile, Alex is in Switzerland...

05-30-18 07:56 PM
    Meanwhile, Alex is in Switzerland...

He will just visit Punkt AG, BlackBerry's new license partner with no meaningful sales. Just another pack of hot air delivered by John Chen
    05-31-18 03:00 AM
    He will just visit Punkt AG, BlackBerry's new license partner with no meaningful sales. Just another pack of hot air delivered by John Chen
    This is obviously pure speculation and we will never know. But I would not be so sure. There are other interesting people to meet in Baar. And Punkt is based in Lugano.
    05-31-18 07:46 AM
    05-31-18 08:18 AM
    This is obviously pure speculation and we will never know. But I would not be so sure. There are other interesting people to meet in Baar. And Punkt is based in Lugano.
    Ah ok, my mistake
    Corbu, BigBadWulf and dusdal like this.
    05-31-18 01:05 PM
    Another general positive Nasdaq article:

Is BlackBerry (BB) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year?
    https://www.nasdaq.com/article/is-bl...-year-cm970827
    Based on the latest available data, BB has gained about 5.01% so far this year. Meanwhile, the Computer and Technology sector has returned an average of 4.83% on a year-to-date basis. This means that BlackBerry is outperforming the sector as a whole this year. The Zacks Rank is a proven system that emphasizes earnings estimates and estimate revisions, highlighting a variety of stocks that are displaying the right characteristics to beat the market over the next one to three months. BB is currently sporting a Zacks Rank of #1 (Strong Buy). Going forward, investors interested in Computer and Technology stocks should continue to pay close attention to BB as it looks to continue its solid performance.
    06-01-18 06:15 AM
    Page 3:
    https://www.rbcinsight.com/WM/share/...N4GR75hg==&a=a

RBC Capital Markets
    Takeaways from RBC Auto Tech Conference

BlackBerry Limited (Kaivan Karimi, Senior Vice President of Strategy and Business Development) – covered at RBC by Paul Treiber

SPARC published by Paul Treiber yesterday:

An end-to-end platform. While BlackBerry’s position in automotive is typically perceived only as its QNX operating system (OS), BlackBerry is best viewed as an end-to-end secure and connected platform for automotive and other vertical markets. BlackBerry’s platform consists of its QNX OS, its hypervisor (virtualization), Certicom security solutions and related tools, its NOC-based cloud platform, and its Jarvis binary code scanning tool, among other solutions. BlackBerry Radar is an application of this end-to-end platform for the truck trailer telematics market. We see BlackBerry addressing other verticals over time, such as healthcare.

BlackBerry is targeting the “plumbing” of connected and autonomous vehicles. The increasing complexity of vehicles (current vehicles have 100MM+ lines of code, more than the space shuttle and MS Windows) and connectivity of vehicles (full Level 5 autonomous requires V2X connectivity) are driving demand for next-generation automotive middleware. BlackBerry has the broadest portfolio of foundational and middleware software for automotive. CANBUS, the legacy connectivity protocol in vehicles introduced in the 1980s, is not secure and is poorly suited for connected and autonomous vehicles. The company provided an updated disclosure that its software is now in 100MM vehicles globally, up from its prior disclosure of 60MM vehicles.

Strategy to scale to $20 or more per vehicle. BlackBerry’s QNX currently generates approx. $2-3 per vehicle as the OS for infotainment systems. BlackBerry has partnered with chipset vendors like Qualcomm and NVIDIA, and expects to see higher revenue per vehicle from specific applications (like digital instrument clusters) along with the transition from ECUs to domain controllers in vehicles. Automakers are in the process of consolidating the 100+ ECUs and 6-8 operating systems per vehicle, which are becoming very difficult to further scale, with 10-12 domain controllers and 2-3 operating systems.

Linux is poorly suited to safety critical applications in vehicles. BlackBerry does not see Linux (including AGL or Automotive Grade Linux) as a viable alternative to QNX in vehicles, given its security shortcomings. BlackBerry indicated that Linux has materially greater security vulnerabilities compared to QNX, according to disclosures at the National Vulnerability Database (NVD) at the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). While several autonomous platforms are based on Linux while in development, BlackBerry does not expect Linux to be widely used in production mass market vehicles. According to Mathias Halliger, VP Automotive Products at NVIDIA, other than Google’s Waymo, every autonomous vehicle platform using NVIDIA chips plans to port to QNX (which is POSIX compliant) for autonomous vehicles in production (originally disclosed at BlackBerry’s Analyst Summit in April 2018).

Linux is not free. Although Linux does not have licensing fees, its usage in automotive requires automakers to make significant investments in R&D staff. Automakers effectively end up “owning” their own operating system when they customize Linux, which entails significant fixed costs to develop and maintain.
    Last edited by Corbu; 06-01-18 at 09:53 AM.
    06-01-18 09:06 AM
    P

Linux is poorly suited to safety critical applications in vehicles. BlackBerry does not see Linux (including AGL or Automotive Grade Linux) as a viable alternative to QNX in vehicles, given its security shortcomings. BlackBerry indicated that Linux has materially greater security vulnerabilities compared to QNX, according to disclosures at the National Vulnerability Database (NVD) at the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). While several autonomous platforms are based on Linux while in development, BlackBerry does not expect Linux to be widely used in production mass market vehicles. .
    Ten years ago BlackBerry didn't see iOS or Android being dominate players in Enterprise because of their lack of "security" either..... I wouldn't go on what BlackBerry expects.

I'd go with what the market is doing... and that's experimenting with a number of non QNX based OS for some reason? If QNX is so great and so cheap, why all this bother?

Heck even China's getting into it with Baidu started testing Apollo on some FORD cars. And Ford is one of QNX biggest partners.
    06-01-18 10:42 AM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    This has to be one of the most frustrating companies...
    just wish for once CEO Chen could "hit something out of the park"... or spin off and sell something...bringing real value to shareholders....

Well..there is always hope for big IP wins grrrrrrrrr

Posted via CB10
    06-01-18 11:58 AM
    No one dies with an unsecured phone.
    06-01-18 12:13 PM
    Ten years ago BlackBerry didn't see iOS or Android being dominate players in Enterprise because of their lack of "security" either..... I wouldn't go on what BlackBerry expects.

I'd go with what the market is doing... and that's experimenting with a number of non QNX based OS for some reason? If QNX is so great and so cheap, why all this bother?

Heck even China's getting into it with Baidu started testing Apollo on some FORD cars. And Ford is one of QNX biggest partners.
    No one dies with an unsecured phone. :-)
    Corbu, masterful and morganplus8 like this.
    06-01-18 12:13 PM
    You lost me at this statement.

Fact is today, no BlackBerry employees existed back in the RIM days. Not a comparison there. And, QNX was a dream of Harman Kardon back then too. RIM sold phones back then if I recall.

All companies that want to survive spend on R&D ....... can you agree that they lose money doing this? R&D is by its nature a lost cause for many.

BlackBerry is this "new" company, research them and listen to what they have to say.
    06-01-18 01:49 PM
    Page 3:
    https://www.rbcinsight.com/WM/share/...N4GR75hg==&a=a

RBC Capital Markets
    Takeaways from RBC Auto Tech Conference

BlackBerry Limited (Kaivan Karimi, Senior Vice President of Strategy and Business Development) – covered at RBC by Paul Treiber

SPARC published by Paul Treiber yesterday:

An end-to-end platform. While BlackBerry’s position in automotive is typically perceived only as its QNX operating system (OS), BlackBerry is best viewed as an end-to-end secure and connected platform for automotive and other vertical markets. BlackBerry’s platform consists of its QNX OS, its hypervisor (virtualization), Certicom security solutions and related tools, its NOC-based cloud platform, and its Jarvis binary code scanning tool, among other solutions. BlackBerry Radar is an application of this end-to-end platform for the truck trailer telematics market. We see BlackBerry addressing other verticals over time, such as healthcare.

BlackBerry is targeting the “plumbing” of connected and autonomous vehicles. The increasing complexity of vehicles (current vehicles have 100MM+ lines of code, more than the space shuttle and MS Windows) and connectivity of vehicles (full Level 5 autonomous requires V2X connectivity) are driving demand for next-generation automotive middleware. BlackBerry has the broadest portfolio of foundational and middleware software for automotive. CANBUS, the legacy connectivity protocol in vehicles introduced in the 1980s, is not secure and is poorly suited for connected and autonomous vehicles. The company provided an updated disclosure that its software is now in 100MM vehicles globally, up from its prior disclosure of 60MM vehicles.

Strategy to scale to $20 or more per vehicle. BlackBerry’s QNX currently generates approx. $2-3 per vehicle as the OS for infotainment systems. BlackBerry has partnered with chipset vendors like Qualcomm and NVIDIA, and expects to see higher revenue per vehicle from specific applications (like digital instrument clusters) along with the transition from ECUs to domain controllers in vehicles. Automakers are in the process of consolidating the 100+ ECUs and 6-8 operating systems per vehicle, which are becoming very difficult to further scale, with 10-12 domain controllers and 2-3 operating systems.

Linux is poorly suited to safety critical applications in vehicles. BlackBerry does not see Linux (including AGL or Automotive Grade Linux) as a viable alternative to QNX in vehicles, given its security shortcomings. BlackBerry indicated that Linux has materially greater security vulnerabilities compared to QNX, according to disclosures at the National Vulnerability Database (NVD) at the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). While several autonomous platforms are based on Linux while in development, BlackBerry does not expect Linux to be widely used in production mass market vehicles. According to Mathias Halliger, VP Automotive Products at NVIDIA, other than Google’s Waymo, every autonomous vehicle platform using NVIDIA chips plans to port to QNX (which is POSIX compliant) for autonomous vehicles in production (originally disclosed at BlackBerry’s Analyst Summit in April 2018).

Linux is not free. Although Linux does not have licensing fees, its usage in automotive requires automakers to make significant investments in R&D staff. Automakers effectively end up “owning” their own operating system when they customize Linux, which entails significant fixed costs to develop and maintain.
    So every other stock would have spiked 50% on this news, but not BlackBerry. Ask yourself why
    06-01-18 02:04 PM
    No one dies with an unsecured phone.
    They can if the phone is used to remotely detonate a bomb. It's true. I saw it happen on TV (many times in fact).

ps: sorry for the wasted bandwidth. I haven't posted anything of value in a long while. This post continues my useless streak.
    La Emperor, Corbu and BigBadWulf like this.
    06-01-18 02:05 PM

Since I thought BIDU agreed to use QNX for its Apollo platform where is the problem for BlackBerry in this constellation?
    dusdal likes this.
    06-01-18 02:05 PM
113,256 ... 42194220422142224223 ...