View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Your right! pretty childish of me, but in my defence it was one to many beers.

Cheers!
    Cheers indeed! Must still be in your system. Maybe two too many?
    05-21-18 12:05 PM
    https://www.hindustantimes.com/tech/...Z6Pti8EUN.html
    BlackBerry to return to India soon with Android, top-end specs

05-22-18 02:36 PM
    Judge in BlackBerry versus Nokia cases orders that both parties shall attempt to reach an agreement, so there could be (non)substantial news on June 25, 2018. Since this could collide with next ER date maybe John Chen tries to reach a settlement to deviate from the next ER disaster he will deliver in June

Blackberry_Limited_v_Nokia_Corporation_et_al__dedce-17-00155__0056.0.pdf
    05-23-18 01:14 AM
    Judge in BlackBerry versus Nokia cases orders that both parties shall attempt to reach an agreement, so there could be (non)substantial news on June 25, 2018. Since this could collide with next ER date maybe John Chen tries to reach a settlement to deviate from the next ER disaster he will deliver in June

Blackberry_Limited_v_Nokia_Corporation_et_al__dedce-17-00155__0056.0.pdf
    How many shares do you own, if you don't mind me asking?
    rarsen likes this.
    05-23-18 04:40 AM
    How many shares do you own, if you don't mind me asking?
    I am currently short BlackBerry since in my opinion the share price will not revocer with John Chen as CEO/ chairman and Prem Watsa as a board memeber.
    05-23-18 05:57 AM
    I am currently short BlackBerry since in my opinion the share price will not revocer with John Chen as CEO/ chairman and Prem Watsa as a board memeber.
    This is where I get so bloody confused. You seem to follow and support the various news/court developments, believe in the product, and think that as a going concern, it is a growing viable company, and even get salty when they make in your mind poor business decisions.

At the same time you're short, for apparently no reason other than you don't think Chen is doing enough to quickly shore up the share price, despite the fact we saw a 100+% run up in less than a year recently. You seem to be shorting not because you believe the company is over valued or poorly run, just "poorly presented". And shorting if your way of getting back at the company that cost you 30% recently. "I'll show them!"

What do you really think bb is worth today? While it can take years, generally the market is efficient at shaking out good, profitable companies despite CEOs' coyness and rewarding them accordingly. Look at Sybase, it was not an overnight play, and similarly saw large declines in his tenure.

Concurrently, what do you want? You want bb to fail to show Chen? You want it to succeed because you like the products? You want to make a ton of money? It seems like initially a mix of the last two, but then because it didn't happen fast enough, you've become pouty like a child who can't have everything he wants right now, and it's the first and last.

This is why these outbursts are so hard to tolerate, which is what everyone on this and the other handful of places does so begrudgingly. You remind me of that David guy who prattles on and on and on and on about how he's the savior of blackberry, *if onlyyyyyy* those ignorant stupid bastards in charge were smart enough to hire him. Has griping to an internet forum of mostly anonymous amateurs ever accomplished great things? No? Well maybe if I do it a thousand times.

You say it enough and it becomes true? Or it is like training to lift 500 lbs of weight by getting 500 lbs and every morning giving it a pull.
    05-23-18 07:11 AM
    This is where I get so bloody confused. You seem to follow and support the various news/court developments, believe in the product, and think that as a going concern, it is a growing viable company, and even get salty when they make in your mind poor business decisions.

At the same time you're short, for apparently no reason other than you don't think Chen is doing enough to quickly shore up the share price, despite the fact we saw a 100+% run up in less than a year recently. You seem to be shorting not because you believe the company is over valued or poorly run, just "poorly presented". And shorting if your way of getting back at the company that cost you 30% recently. "I'll show them!"

What do you really think bb is worth today? While it can take years, generally the market is efficient at shaking out good, profitable companies despite CEOs' coyness and rewarding them accordingly. Look at Sybase, it was not an overnight play, and similarly saw large declines in his tenure.

Concurrently, what do you want? You want bb to fail to show Chen? You want it to succeed because you like the products? You want to make a ton of money? It seems like initially a mix of the last two, but then because it didn't happen fast enough, you've become pouty like a child who can't have everything he wants right now, and it's the first and last.

This is why these outbursts are so hard to tolerate, which is what everyone on this and the other handful of places does so begrudgingly. You remind me of that David guy who prattles on and on and on and on about how he's the savior of blackberry, *if onlyyyyyy* those ignorant stupid bastards in charge were smart enough to hire him. Has griping to an internet forum of mostly anonymous amateurs ever accomplished great things? No? Well maybe if I do it a thousand times.

You say it enough and it becomes true? Or it is like training to lift 500 lbs of weight by getting 500 lbs and every morning giving it a pull.
    Your problem and that of many other shareholders is that you are giving John Chen the benefit of the doubt just because he was lucky that SAP bought Sybase (before the first takeover rumors emerged the shareprice performance of Sybase was not so great at all), without questioning his many disputable decisions and his murky information strategy.

After four years of restructuring a shareholder should know the answers to the following questions:
    1. What does BB stand for? EoT might be a nice buzz word, but it is hardly a business strategy and it is even harder to understand how QNX, UEM, BBM and Radar are fitting into this strategy.
    2. What are the plans for BBM consumer? Sale, IPO or what?
    3. How much despite the fixed license fees is BB making from BBM consumer? That could be an indication of growth at BBM consumer and could help investors to assess wheter BBM consumer is a valuable asset or not.
    4. What about all the huge interest for BB Radar and BBM SDK? So far no significant revenues from BB Radar and BBM SDK is far from being the proclaimed threat to Twilo.

I think BB is great company with a huge potential , but managed poorly by John Chen and the BOD. As long as John Chen is CEO and chairman and Prem Watsa is a member of the BOD the share price will fluctuate heavily without any real upside. Therefore I am currently short since I think John Chen will never learn how important a high share price is (be just for having valuable employee options in the war for talents).
    Seadog83, Corbu and rampagingpanda like this.
    05-23-18 07:58 AM
    Good post. I honestly mean that, and wish more of yours were along those lines which can foster discussion points instead of just "Easy short! Fire Chen! Going to 10!".

I share some of your concerns and frustrations, and do too wish that Chen was more open about things. I also believe long term to quote Ben Graham about the market being a weighing machine and that sooner or later the value here will be impossible to not see. I firmly believe in the company's potential, and especially with the huge focus on security and privacy in the last year, think it could be the right company for the right time.

I wish they'd be less opaque, but given BB's history, would standing on a soap box proclaiming to the masses grand plans, promises, and intentions even matter? Heins did that, stock bumped up, then crashed hard, and now they still have a lawsuit outstanding. They need to deliver the numbers and until they come I don't think we'll see the stock reflect it. I was disappointed in Mar after delivering solid growth and numbers for the stock to take the hit it did. The only rationale being that the market assigned the worst interpretation to Chen's (deliberately?) obtuse remarks as possible. No, BB needs to buckle down and get it's house in order. Contrast that with say SNAP. Similar number of users to BBM, less secure, less part of the secure ecosystem, hemorrhaging money, but cooler. Therefore it's worth 3x the net value of all BB.

I guess that's sort of where we differ. We both think this is a company with potential, and I attribute the recent share price volatility (and low price as a whole) to nothing more than Mr Market's year long moodiness vs you saying it's bad leaders. Maybe some of it is luck, but Chen/Wasta both have pretty impressive histories and reputations, and although I might take profits, I would not want to be short when a positive black swan unexpectedly hits (major settlement, major partner, buyout, GDPR scramble etc.)
    05-23-18 11:37 AM
    Therefore I am currently short since I think John Chen will never learn how important a high share price is (be just for having valuable employee options in the war for talents).
    just a quick follow up, if BB did a reverse split, say 10:1, would that make you happier?
    05-23-18 02:51 PM
    As long as John Chen is CEO and chairman and Prem Watsa is a member of the BOD the share price will fluctuate heavily without any real upside.
    Given that Watsa et al have just renewed Chen's contract for another five years I would suggest you come back around 2023. Good luck in the meantime.
    masterful and La Emperor like this.
    05-23-18 03:02 PM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    In other news....

Let's keep this thread informative and factual... no one is interested in useless banter lol.... short or long... just news that can help with timely decision-making.....

AMZN and MSFT strong as ever! (my two biggest positions) ... SPHS (I have small position only) seems to be in pause mode atm, until June news, as is BBRY (3rd biggest holding) ... awaiting any (positive) news before next ER... all is quiet there..at least publicly..likely new news coming next will be the launch of phones early next month...

Summer weather came early!! Lol
    Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    05-23-18 03:24 PM
    ...I would not want to be short when a positive black swan unexpectedly hits (major settlement, major partner, buyout, GDPR scramble etc.)
    I think you just formulated the black swan thing I tried to write a couple of days back, but much better. Way to go.

If one looks at JC prior way of reinventing a company he did it by focusing it on a nascent field where the bigger players weren't focusing yet. For Sybase that was the mobile scene. To follow that logic, I expect BB to make investments / M&A in either the current halfway realized centralized wave (cloud computing, AI and all of that) or the more nascent decentralized wave (peer to peer, IoT, blockchain etc). They kind of already are doing both already, but not in a big way.

Given JCs incentive package and how it is set to vest, I'm guessing for the second of the two above.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 05-23-18 at 04:10 PM.
    morganplus8, Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    05-23-18 03:37 PM

https://twitter.com/BBMobile/status/999682125304684544
    05-24-18 11:52 AM
    05-24-18 05:37 PM
    Added information reinforcing above <bbjdog message>:

What is GDPR? Everything you need to know about the new general data protection regulations
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/gdpr-a...24037827013043
    At its core, GDPR is a new set of rules designed to give EU citizens more control over their personal data. After this Friday, businesses potentially face steep fines and will have to answer to the European data protection authorities if they fail to comply with the new measures. Fundamentally, almost every aspect of our lives revolves around data. From social media companies, to banks, retailers, and governments -- almost every service we use involves the collection and analysis of our personal data.
    Under the terms of GDPR, not only will organisations have to ensure that personal data is gathered legally and under strict conditions, but those who collect and manage it will be obliged to protect it from misuse and exploitation, as well as to respect the rights of data owners - or face penalties for not doing so.
    GDPR ultimately places legal obligations on a processor to maintain records of personal data and how it is processed, providing a much higher level of legal liability should the organisation be breached.
    GDPR will apply across the European Union from 25 May 2018, and all member nations are expected to have transferred it into their own national law by 6 May 2018.
    Failure to comply with GDPR can result in a fine ranging from 10 million euros to four per cent of the company's annual global turnover, a figure which for some could mean billions.
    05-24-18 06:18 PM
    https://automotivelogistics.media/in...software-risks

Cyber-security

A hard look at software risks

As cars carry an increasing amount of digital technology, weak spots are accumulating in the software supply chain. Automotive Logistics looks at what vehicle-makers can learn from the experiences of technology companies like BlackBerry in addressing these risks
    05-24-18 06:32 PM
    OT:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/jury-samsu...phone-patents/
    Samsung owes Apple $539M for infringing iPhone design patents, jury finds

05-24-18 09:59 PM
    https://automotivelogistics.media/in...software-risks

Cyber-security

A hard look at software risks

As cars carry an increasing amount of digital technology, weak spots are accumulating in the software supply chain. Automotive Logistics looks at what vehicle-makers can learn from the experiences of technology companies like BlackBerry in addressing these risks
    Looks like a decent programm, but given the "success" of Radar and BBM SDK I think this will also end as one of the hyped products from BlackBerry that never generate any meaningful revenue. Sales execution sucks at BlackBerry
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-25-18 07:15 AM
    05-25-18 10:34 AM
    OT:
    Prem Watsa
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-in-india-u-s
    Prem Watsa Shuns China With Fairfax Looking for Investment in India, U.S.

05-25-18 12:52 PM
    Here is the video:
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/prem-wat...rian-1.1083221
    Prem Watsa on BlackBerry, Canada and being a contrarian

From about 5:20

“The reason we put a lot of money in [BlackBerry] was because of [CEO] John Chen. John Chen is an outstanding executive — long track record. And I met him just like that in San Francisco. And he had a terrific turnaround at a company called Sybase. And then he says, you know, I bought every BlackBerry that existed and I really don’t want this company to go down. So I said, would you look at perhaps joining the company, and he said, ‘I’ve got to talk to my wife. If she says yes, I will.’ And she said yes and he joined us. If he hadn’t come, we likely wouldn’t have put [in] any money.”
    Last edited by Corbu; 05-25-18 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added quote
    05-25-18 02:43 PM
    OT:
    SPHS

All my best to Mrs. Morganplus8, Morgan...

"SPHS - what can Mrs. Morganplus8 say, she is about to kick my butt here, the news is excellent and she thinks the stock goes to $ 5.00/shr by the end of June."

Lovely run over the last two/four weeks...
    05-25-18 03:12 PM
    OT:
    SPHS

All my best to Mrs. Morganplus8, Morgan...

"SPHS - what can Mrs. Morganplus8 say, she is about to kick my butt here, the news is excellent and she thinks the stock goes to $ 5.00/shr by the end of June."

Lovely run over the last two/four weeks...
    Now we know who wears the pants in the Morgan household. Yes Mrs Morganplus8! Morgan probably wears a Scotish quilt around the house. What a terrible image that entered my head and I don't have enough beer to extract that image. Lmho mates.
    05-25-18 08:30 PM
    To the Mrs!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20180525_2007290.jpg

And all those who have paid an even higher sacrifice, on this Memorial Day weekend.

PS - the name does not reflect my opinion of the Mrs.
    Corbu, morganplus8 and La Emperor like this.
    05-25-18 10:00 PM
    To the Mrs!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180525_2007290.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	436467

And all those who have paid an even higher sacrifice, on this Memorial Day weekend.

PS - the name does not reflect my opinion of the Mrs.
    LMHO!

Seems like the almighty godfather is too imbarased to post in his defence in regards to Mrs Morganplus8 gains in the past few weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad day in history for the almighty one!!!!

Cheers mates and all the best in life!!!
    05-26-18 06:04 PM
113,256 ... 42184219422042214222 ...