View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Morgan, Thanks for your thoughts as always. When you say you sold out BB, I assume it is only the trading portion, the long term hold is intact, right?
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    01-04-18 06:58 PM
    i believe he means his trading portion as well and still holds a long position
    01-05-18 08:39 AM
    Morgan, Thanks for your thoughts as always. When you say you sold out BB, I assume it is only the trading portion, the long term hold is intact, right?
    No, I sold out of everything. I don't hold BB at all right now but my plan was to honour the 30 day Revenue Canada rule and repurchase the stock or the like, withing 30 days. I acquire stock by writing naked put options which I have done for 40,000 shares so far. I mark the date on my calendar and with any luck, I'll own plenty of shares again by that date. I love the company, it is just beginning to find its footing and the media is turning away from the hardware/SAF story and looking at this as a new software services brand. Cramer mentioned it yesterday, it is up today, so there isn't a trade for me here. We'll see what happens, so far, it is now above my sale price! Good luck to you.
    Corbu, rarsen, FeitaInc and 3 others like this.
    01-05-18 09:04 AM
    John Wall (QNX) on BNN:
    https://www.bnn.ca/video/blackberry-...coming~1297460

BlackBerry QNX GM: We see more deals like Baidu & more engineering jobs coming

BlackBerry just announced its partnership with Chinese search engine Baidu to develop driverless car technology. BNN speaks with John Wall, Senior Vice President & GM at BlackBerry QNX, about what's next for its pursuits in the space.
    01-05-18 09:23 AM
    Just to update, I'm short 60,000 as well, I don't see it much above $ 14.00 so there's my gamble. I was holding my breath for a couple of minutes there ..........
    rarsen, cjcampbell, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    01-05-18 09:30 AM
    HI Folks... lots of good reading here, still... just felt like I had to share some updates with me and BB. First wanted to thank the dedicated pros who are on it like crazy in here and sharing info only seconds old. This is truly the best place for all that is blackberry.
    After holding this stock for 5 years and barely making $2000 over that period of time, I'm completely out. Sold my last 1000 shares this morning and said goodbye.
    Some of that was also due to my retiring my passport in late November for a jump over to Android on a piece of hardware that has me smiling every day I handle it. I just don't miss my blackberry anymore. This coming from a guy who has been exclusively blackberry since 2008.

Long story short... I expect this stock to dip down again... I might get back in... might not. Either way, keep up the good work. I'll be watching from the sidelines rooting for those who are in it for the longer haul.
    Corbu, morganplus8 and FeitaInc like this.
    01-05-18 09:38 AM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Markets on fire! ..except can $...my big long bets..will hold, not trade: bbry, Bb.cA, shop, FB, MSFT, AMZN ... smaller positions LN, PSDV, SPHS....

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    01-05-18 11:51 AM
    01-05-18 01:28 PM
    John Wall (QNX) on BNN:
    https://www.bnn.ca/video/blackberry-...coming~1297460

BlackBerry QNX GM: We see more deals like Baidu & more engineering jobs coming
    they key take aways from this interview for me are the following:
    - JC is good at talking to reporters.
    - that he isn't the one talking to BNN might be saying something.
    - this guy needs to master his reflexes (not lick his teeth), smile a bit more and get a BB pin. (but he did a good job, don't get me wrong. he just kind of gave an undertaker vibe, if that makes sense. just think the above would mean he gets more air time going forward.)
    - great narrative for BB.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 01-05-18 at 03:02 PM. Reason: removed double kind of
    01-05-18 02:46 PM
    No, I sold out of everything. I don't hold BB at all right now but my plan was to honour the 30 day Revenue Canada rule and repurchase the stock or the like, withing 30 days. I acquire stock by writing naked put options which I have done for 40,000 shares so far. I mark the date on my calendar and with any luck, I'll own plenty of shares again by that date. I love the company, it is just beginning to find its footing and the media is turning away from the hardware/SAF story and looking at this as a new software services brand. Cramer mentioned it yesterday, it is up today, so there isn't a trade for me here. We'll see what happens, so far, it is now above my sale price! Good luck to you.
    As always, thanks for your responses Morgan. Think I have to re-read them a couple of times before they sink in.

For my own part, I think I'll sit quietly in the boat for now, as transactions cost + taxes prohibits me from jumping out and back in again. If I had anything like your skills Morgan, I might think differently, but I think I'll listen to Ray Dalio on this one (and not try to time the market). I'm up some 63% on this one so far, which I am rather happy with. that said, if somebody swoops in an buys BB, the only way for me to see that action is to stay with the stock. so that's my plan.

just as a curiosity, Norway just made a change to our tax code where we can create a kind of deferred capital gains tax account (aka trading account), where we only have to pay tax on profits (and not the base part) of an investment once we remove them from the account, but alas that is only for nordic stocks.

And for Corbu et al., my hat is of for you guys. please keep up the stellar work.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 01-06-18 at 05:00 AM. Reason: fixed two minor typos
    rarsen, morganplus8, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    01-05-18 03:02 PM
    No, I sold out of everything. I don't hold BB at all right now but my plan was to honour the 30 day Revenue Canada rule and repurchase the stock or the like, withing 30 days.
    Can you elaborate on this? The only 30 day rule I was aware of was the one about not being able to claim capital losses, and actively trying to avoid that seems sort of pointless? A quick googling didn't show me any other 30 day rules...

Just like in May after that huge run I'm torn with what to do here. I was a click away from selling half my holdings at 11.31 at the end of May but did not - only to watch it precipitously slide to 8.49. What held me then, as now, and 2 weeks ago after earnings when I semi-considered down scaling was that BB seems to be king of black swans. Had I sold after Q3, I likely would have been waiting for another 20%+ pullback to reenter, and missed this current rally. Currently, despite the (I agree) lofty change in valuation based on this Baidu announcement, we could be one of a several known lawsuit settlements, or an unknown lawsuit settlement, another huge partnership, or a new key product announcement away from another large bump. Hell, in May after the dust settled on the QCOM award, it went up 20% on more or less no news, just an increasing confidence.

The other reason I'm hesitant to pull the trigger is that even with a plan to re-enter, I'd still be facing a rather large tax bill on the entire sale, which if the position were dissolved over several years, would be considerably less.
    01-05-18 07:03 PM
    Thanks man!

Additionally, during the keynote John will launch a new product for the automotive industry that will help to shape and secure the future of connected and self-driving cars.
    La Emperor, morganplus8 and dusdal like this.
    01-05-18 10:04 PM
    Finally an interview where John Chen started to act like the CEO of company with such great prospects as BlackBerry should act. No more "we are still there" or "we are not bankrupt" BS and instead focus on the future growth aspects. Great interview, I hope John Chen continues following this path.
    01-06-18 08:44 AM
    Interesting about the naked puts. So when you want to buy a stock, you sell the naked put (and make a bit of money) and then if the put is called, boom you buy the stock at the price you want it at. Sure maybe the stock drops below your put price, but you are still paying your price for the stock. And you got paid for the privilege. And if you miss the run up and the put expires out of the money, well you still got paid a bit when you sold the put option.

Probably so simple to you, but seems neat to someone like me who just does simple broker trades and then buys and holds.
    01-06-18 10:48 AM
    Just to update, I'm short 60,000 as well, I don't see it much above $ 14.00 so there's my gamble. I was holding my breath for a couple of minutes there ..........
    sorry if this is a noob question, but can you cover your short at any time, or have you specified a time limit (if that makes sense)?
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    01-06-18 11:40 AM
    This is from ‎Senior Director, Corporate Communications and Global Media Relations - ‎BlackBerry

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ces.png
    Corbu and dusdal like this.
    01-06-18 12:00 PM
    Can you elaborate on this? The only 30 day rule I was aware of was the one about not being able to claim capital losses, and actively trying to avoid that seems sort of pointless? A quick googling didn't show me any other 30 day rules...

Just like in May after that huge run I'm torn with what to do here. I was a click away from selling half my holdings at 11.31 at the end of May but did not - only to watch it precipitously slide to 8.49. What held me then, as now, and 2 weeks ago after earnings when I semi-considered down scaling was that BB seems to be king of black swans. Had I sold after Q3, I likely would have been waiting for another 20%+ pullback to reenter, and missed this current rally. Currently, despite the (I agree) lofty change in valuation based on this Baidu announcement, we could be one of a several known lawsuit settlements, or an unknown lawsuit settlement, another huge partnership, or a new key product announcement away from another large bump. Hell, in May after the dust settled on the QCOM award, it went up 20% on more or less no news, just an increasing confidence.

The other reason I'm hesitant to pull the trigger is that even with a plan to re-enter, I'd still be facing a rather large tax bill on the entire sale, which if the position were dissolved over several years, would be considerably less.
    I think everyone is aware of the conventional 30-day rule regarding the disposition of common stock, and the ability to claim or offset that capital loss against a gain for the same period. The question on everyone's mind is always about, "when can we repurchase that position again"?.

I've taken that one step further with the CRA by arguing that it should hold for those who sell their position as part of a packaged trade. I sell a large amount of call options against my position, my goal is to maintain my holdings while generating income or capital gains along the way. At first we argued whether the proceeds were in fact income, capital gains or a reduction in the adjusted cost base (ACB) of the principle holdings (the underlying stock). The CRA decided in my favour and now I can choose which way I report proceeds from option writing programs. I have been audited for as many years as I have been trading so we go over this all the time. The CRA wants you to remain consistent , if you claim option proceeds as capital gains, do it all the time. If you reduce the ACB of the stock price, do that all the time. And so I use the 30-day rule to argue that I never really sell my position, in fact, even though I have written calls against a large block of BB, I can lift those calls, in this case, by January 19th and continue to own the stock. In addition, I have a short position in the stock and I have a large naked put write against the stock. You could argue that I'm increasing my holdings as I so often do.

The vast majority of the time, I write covered calls against BB and they expire worthless thus giving me capital gains OR a reduction in the ACB of my initial holdings. My broker states that my ACB is $ 6.83/shr for BB but it is more likely to be half of that figure. I own the stock cheaper than it has ever been. I claim C/G on BB like everyone else just not as much as I always grow my position. In the eyes of the CRA, I never disposed of my stock as they can't follow the trail with my 30-day rule. The end result is that for the most part, I claim C/G annually on BB from option proceeds, they like that. At first they wanted me to claim it as income but there is no sign of income producing instruments in existence today that carry that kind of risk so they always cave in.

I'll stop here as this is getting long and you might have questions or now have far more information than you wanted to know! Suffice it to say, I never really leave the investment and so this results in a grey area of the tax law.

As for BB, yesterday was an excellent day, on the 3-minute chart, the buyers showed up every time the stock looked like it might roll over. Very impressive and I'll have to think about whether I'll bale on every share or buy back some covered calls by the 19th. Make no mistake I'll be in BB stock for the next 5 year at a minimum.
    Last edited by morganplus8; 01-06-18 at 12:41 PM.
    W Hoa, Corbu, foxdog0007 and 4 others like this.
    01-06-18 12:17 PM
    Interesting about the naked puts. So when you want to buy a stock, you sell the naked put (and make a bit of money) and then if the put is called, boom you buy the stock at the price you want it at. Sure maybe the stock drops below your put price, but you are still paying your price for the stock. And you got paid for the privilege. And if you miss the run up and the put expires out of the money, well you still got paid a bit when you sold the put option.

Probably so simple to you, but seems neat to someone like me who just does simple broker trades and then buys and holds.
    Excellent! You have it! I sold a large block of stock, I waited for the stock to drop back into the $ 13.20's and then sold a large naked put option position that gives me the stock below $ 13.00 which is where I want to own those shares again. The net of doing all of this is that I'll regain about $ 1.25/shr of BB without losing my position in the stock. If I was trying to apply the 30-day rule against a capital loss in this instance, the CRA would disallow it on the basis that I could be easily be replacing my stock inside that 30-day rule. So now, armed with all of that money, when the stock rallies I short it at my target price (above $ 14.00/shr) knowing that I get to keep the put option proceeds if the stock works against my short position. If the stock then plunges, I get put to on the naked puts at my accepted price but I also have a monster profit in my short position so that the naked put is never at a disadvantage. The only way I can lose a reasonable amount of money is if the stock really rallies hard, past my naked put proceeds and my initial price of the short. I haven't worked it out yet because I don't care, but let's say my break-even on this trade is $ 14.50/shr before I start to lose money. I'm good with that as I believe BB is worth less than its current price for now.

Good on you to have figured this out! I then have this whole other trade using covered calls against a very large block, if I buy those calls back to free up the block of stock, I won't be paying the premium that came with the initial sale of those calls so I'll have even more protection against my new naked/short trade. It's really hard for me to lose money here, BUT, if Apple buys BB for $ 22.00 ouch!!! I have done this so many times that one loss wouldn't be a big deal.
    FeitaInc, W Hoa, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    01-06-18 12:33 PM
    sorry if this is a noob question, but can you cover your short at any time, or have you specified a time limit (if that makes sense)?
    Yes, I can cover and establish it again as many times per day as my broker can keep up to me. Sometimes I'll take 1/2 of it off when I see that the stock wants to trade higher on the 3-minute chart. I can trade within a couple of pennies of a reversal in the trend. I will admit, I could barely get to the kitchen to make lunch the past two days because BB was hitting TA points every few minutes. I like the volumes and the stock has been trading on its TA for over one year now, very predictable.
    FeitaInc, W Hoa, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    01-06-18 12:39 PM
    Yes, I can cover and establish it again as many times per day as my broker can keep up to me. Sometimes I'll take 1/2 of it off when I see that the stock wants to trade higher on the 3-minute chart. I can trade within a couple of pennies of a reversal in the trend. I will admit, I could barely get to the kitchen to make lunch the past two days because BB was hitting TA points every few minutes. I like the volumes and the stock has been trading on its TA for over one year now, very predictable.
    this is turning into the best lessons I have had in finance I think, all tough it's a lot to process for a mere engineer. (if this isn't finance, then I guess that reinforces my point all the more.) we may have a Peter Thiel / Blake Masters opportunity here if you keep this up.

I keep coming back to Ray Dalio quotes, but I sure wouldn't want to try to compete with you in the market place Morgan. luckily for me and all of us we have a common interest in BB, and that you are being very generous with us in sharing your knowledge. Much appreciated.

(There is this video at work I would love to share with you (all) that speaks to these dynamics, but I wasn't given the go-ahead from the head of HR for some reason.)
    Corbu, morganplus8 and sixaxis_ms like this.
    01-06-18 01:31 PM
    I've been talking up BB in a thread on Telegram for a crypto currency that goes by HBT. I have had the pleasure of meeting the CEO twice, and I've put down about 2/3 of what I invested in BB just on the guy alone. I think I have mentioned it on here before, but just to cancel out all the nice things I have been saying about BB to them, feel free to check them out. Hubii Network - a distributed content market place. (I'm up 60%ish in BB and 10x in HBT. crypto is a strange strange world.)

that said, I'm curious if BB will launch, deploy or use some block chain tech in some fashion going forward. Bosch is doubling down, so I don't see why BB should stay away.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 01-06-18 at 05:38 PM. Reason: less drunk-aneese
    01-06-18 05:37 PM
    I've been talking up BB in a thread on Telegram for a crypto currency that goes by HBT. I have had the pleasure of meeting the CEO twice, and I've put down about 2/3 of what I invested in BB just on the guy alone. I think I have mentioned it on here before, but just to cancel out all the nice things I have been saying about BB to them, feel free to check them out. Hubii Network - a distributed content market place. (I'm up 60%ish in BB and 10x in HBT. crypto is a strange strange world.)

that said, I'm curious if BB will launch, deploy or use some block chain tech in some fashion going forward. Bosch is doubling down, so I don't see why BB should stay away.
    I am not sure how BlackBerry government clients would feel about them getting into crypto currency .....at this time. Chen is a very conservative guy. He won't touch this until the various governments have their say. Maybe never.
    01-06-18 06:39 PM
    I am not sure how BlackBerry government clients would feel about them getting into crypto currency .....at this time. Chen is a very conservative guy. He won't touch this until the various governments have their say. Maybe never.
    That is to misrepresent what I said, and sorry if I was unclear. I don't suggest that BB get into crypto currency, but that they can leverage block chain technology. Just google bosch and block chain and see what comes up.
    La Emperor likes this.
    01-06-18 06:55 PM
    01-07-18 09:49 AM
    I've seen the Nokia figures misconstrued elsewhere, so thought I would post what I got from this last earning release.

As I understand it, the income loss as a result of the Nokia suit was included in the past ER. It was recognized in the GAAP earnings/revenues.

They suggested that the cash aspect of the settlement would be included in this upcoming ER.

So, next earning/revs won't be affected by the Nokia suit, but the cash will.
    Corbu, rarsen, jsocan and 4 others like this.
    01-07-18 06:10 PM
113,256 ... 41834184418541864187 ...