1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Negative analyst George is slowly changing his opinion on BB:

Time To Put BlackBerry On Your Radar
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/413...ackberry-radar
    So overall for the first time in a long time, he thinks that the current price of BB shares are a very good entry point. At the same time however, he does not think that the market will get too excited to bid up the stock at the current time. However, the fact that BB's product pipeline is becoming more and more clearer, with deals and arrangements in place, place a floor under the stock at current levels. The bottom line is, it's time to put BlackBerry on your radar once more.
    Corbu, morganplus8, W Hoa and 2 others like this.
    12-18-17 08:28 AM
    That was some weird end of day action on SPHS.
    Indeed. Certainly seems to be warming up for some fireworks, with data approaching.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    12-18-17 08:53 AM
    Indeed. Certainly seems to be warming up for some fireworks, with data approaching.
    Same thought mate. Lol
    12-18-17 09:13 AM
    Same thought mate. Lol
    Okay, you have worked so hard to manipulate this play, here is the chart:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-sphs-dec-18-2017.png

As you can see, we have a big blue line sloping downward that needs to be taken out. If this line falls, the stock has plenty of upside coming next year. The company will release data on its first patient soon and if that data is good, you will see a solid rally that might not end for months. The upside is huge, the stock is being positioned for that rally now. If the first patient doesn't need a second dose at some other size/level, the stock will fly. No wonder it is starting to move now.

BlackBerry - Did anyone see us doing business with UBER today? I didn't see the BBM news coming at all and it is likely to be a big deal in the months ahead and gives you some idea as to how well BlackBerry is hunting down new business. My hat is off to Chen once again for working Asian countries for all they are worth. Nice surprise heading into earnings. All of my BB stock is unencumbered and ready for the next 4 weeks. GL
    12-18-17 11:24 AM
    Learned a new word "unencumbered" !
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    12-18-17 11:30 AM
    Thanks Morgan
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    12-18-17 11:38 AM
    BlackBerry - Did anyone see us doing business with UBER today? I didn't see the BBM news coming at all and it is likely to be a big deal in the months ahead and gives you some idea as to how well BlackBerry is hunting down new business. My hat is off to Chen once again for working Asian countries for all they are worth. Nice surprise heading into earnings. All of my BB stock is unencumbered and ready for the next 4 weeks. GL
    I hope my mind is playing tricks on me here, but I thought I had seen the Uber logo in the Discover tab for weeks already. If so, this kind of "screams" "staged news" for the earnings call. If BB has decided to sit on it, it'll either be to shift the focus away from something else (or lack of something else) or as a nice little one-two punch. I'm hoping for the latter, but either way it's a good narrative for JC have for the conference call.

Let's wait and see if they have any press releases scheduled for tomorrow.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 12-18-17 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added last sentence.
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 1 others like this.
    12-18-17 01:42 PM
    Your memory is not failing you, Feitalnc!

One finds this:
    As always, we’re busily adding more goodness to the Discover menu. Users worldwide can now request an Uber ride through BBM Messenger
    Published on November 2, 2017
    https://blog.bbm.com/2017/11/02/bbm-...ding-and-more/
    BBM Messenger’s Latest Release Includes a Customisable Chat Background, FREE Custom PIN, New Discover Grid View, Faster File Sending and More

12-18-17 02:21 PM
    Okay, you have worked so hard to manipulate this play, here is the chart:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPHS Dec 18 2017.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	324.0 KB 
ID:	432431

As you can see, we have a big blue line sloping downward that needs to be taken out. If this line falls, the stock has plenty of upside coming next year. The company will release data on its first patient soon and if that data is good, you will see a solid rally that might not end for months. The upside is huge, the stock is being positioned for that rally now. If the first patient doesn't need a second dose at some other size/level, the stock will fly. No wonder it is starting to move now.

With all these good BBM news I really do not understand why John Chen does not talk a single word about BBM during ER

Posted via CB10
    12-18-17 03:14 PM
    this is wildly of topic, but just experienced something I had to share, namely that the headphones that comes with the Motion are nothing short of spectacular. I have been using them since my Shure 846 broke, and I just compared them with some Shure 535 and Monster Cable Turbine Copper Pro. The audiophile in me is a little shaken that the headset that came with a phone that cost only a bit more than the headsets, kind of outperforms both. Might just be that the sound profile is just right for how I like it, but jeez.. That said, I really miss the 846s.

So go BlackBerry Mobile. Great job.

/miniRant
    12-18-17 03:15 PM
    With all these good BBM news I really do not understand why John Chen does not talk a single word about BBM during ER
    unless you are from the future, I'd hold my horses for the ER on Wednesday. If they have any follow up stories tomorrow, the stage might be set for a mention on the ER.
    rarsen likes this.
    12-18-17 03:21 PM
    I hope my mind is playing tricks on me here, but I thought I had seen the Uber logo in the Discover tab for weeks already. If so, this kind of "screams" "staged news" for the earnings call. If BB has decided to sit on it, it'll either be to shift the focus away from something else (or lack of something else) or as a nice little one-two punch. I'm hoping for the latter, but either way it's a good narrative for JC have for the conference call.

Let's wait and see if they have any press releases scheduled for tomorrow.
    I think that contract is brand spanking new. I would imagine they ran a pilot project to see what the market looked like and that's how both sides came to a deal. Either way, BBM is continuing to impress me. Chen wasn't kidding around when he said they needed to "partner up".
    12-18-17 03:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Didn't BlackBerry partner with Emtek to expand BBM? After that deal, I thought BBM consumer was all Emtek. BlackBerry kept BBM Enterprise.
    La Emperor and Corbu like this.
    12-18-17 03:34 PM
    With the hacking Uber endured awhile back, and dropping ? Twilio altogether me thinks Blackberry CPaas ( BBM Enterprise ) is now in play : )
    Remember the EU's GDPR compliance will come into play as well. May of 2018 .
    Will soon find out I hope.
    morganplus8, rarsen, W Hoa and 2 others like this.
    12-18-17 04:13 PM
    From my TD alerts

BlackBerry Radar Now Available to More Than 2,800 Commercial Vehicle Dealers in North America
    2017-12-18 06:00:15 PM ET (Marketwired)

WATERLOO, ONTARIO and FRESNO, CALIFORNIA--(Marketwired - Dec. 18, 2017) - BlackBerry Limited (NYSE:BB)(TSX:BB) and Pana-Pacific announced today that BlackBerry Radar, an asset tracking solution that provides unparalleled visibility into cargo and mobile fleet assets, is now available to more than 2,800 heavy-duty truck dealerships across North America. As part of the agreement, Pana-Pacific's customers have access to BlackBerry's Radar-M, which is designed for trailers and containers, as well as Radar-L, which is designed for flatbeds, chassis, containers, heavy machinery, and other valuable transportation or non-powered equipment assets.

"At Pana-Pacific, we strive to offer unique products and programs that exceed the needs and expectations of our commercial vehicle customers," said John Trenberth, CEO, Pana-Pacific. "We decided to add BlackBerry Radar to our portfolio because we believe the near-real-time information it provides will empower our customers to make better business decisions and improve the overall performance of their transportation operations."

"BlackBerry Radar allows fleet managers and equipment owners to make smarter decisions for their business, saving time, money and resources," said Philip Poulidis, SVP and GM of Radar, BlackBerry. "We're excited to partner with forward-thinking companies, like Pana-Pacific, who realize the value that technology and actionable data can provide to the transportation and logistics industry."

BlackBerry Radar is an innovative, fast install and data-driven solution that provides near real-time information such as vehicle location, route and mileage, temperature, humidity, door status, and cargo load state on a single intuitive on-line dashboard. It collects up to 100x more data than conventional GPS-based track and trace solutions, and uses this information to build a 360-degree visualization of a customer's assets to ensure safety, security, and regulatory compliance. All data is stored securely on a cloud platform, which maintains the privacy of user information at all times.
    W Hoa, La Emperor, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    12-18-17 05:09 PM
    this is wildly of topic, but just experienced something I had to share, namely that the headphones that comes with the Motion are nothing short of spectacular. I have been using them since my Shure 846 broke, and I just compared them with some Shure 535 and Monster Cable Turbine Copper Pro. The audiophile in me is a little shaken that the headset that came with a phone that cost only a bit more than the headsets, kind of outperforms both. Might just be that the sound profile is just right for how I like it, but jeez.. That said, I really miss the 846s.

So go BlackBerry Mobile. Great job.

/miniRant
    Really? Is anyone selling them separately?
    12-18-17 05:43 PM
    Really? Is anyone selling them separately?
    Can't say that I can find them anywhere.

The sound is very good, at least to my ears. It might be that I've been super lucky with the ones I got. That said, the build quality isn't anywhere near the Shure's. To be honest though, they are holding up pretty well. Better than expected.
    12-19-17 02:57 AM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    OT: any experts here following or investing in Bitcoin? I am not but crazy returns happening out there...

Posted via CB10
    12-19-17 06:13 AM
    OT: any experts here following or investing in Bitcoin? I am not but crazy returns happening out there...

Posted via CB10
    Bitcoin is gambling, not investing. LOL......

Check out Bitcoin futures.... At least that way there is some regulations...
    rarsen likes this.
    12-19-17 06:44 AM
    From TD alerts
    BRIEF-Blackberry and Fleet Complete Expand Partnership With Purchase Of Blackberry Radar-M Devices���
    2017-12-19 08:34:50 AM ET (Reuters)

Dec 19 (Reuters) - Blackberry Ltd:

* BLACKBERRY LTD - CO, ��� FLEET COMPLETE ANNOUNCED EXPANSION OF PARTNERSHIP WITH PURCHASE OF BLACKBERRY RADAR-M DEVICES FOR BIGROAD��� Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage:
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 5 others like this.
    12-19-17 07:42 AM
    December 19, 2017 08:30 ET

BigRoad Loads Up on BlackBerry Radar

The Fleet Complete Company purchases BlackBerry Radar-M devices to optimize its new BigRoad Freight program

WATERLOO, ONTARIO and TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Dec. 19, 2017) - BlackBerry Limited (NYSE:BB)(TSX:BB) and Fleet Complete announced today an expansion of their partnership with the purchase of BlackBerry Radar-M devices for BigRoad - A Fleet Complete Company. The addition of BlackBerry Radar will strengthen the company's new BigRoad Freight program, which gives owner-operators and fleets the ability to book the loads they want while ensuring quick payment and providing hours-of-service (HOS) visibility from within the BigRoad Mobile App electronic logbook.

"With BlackBerry Radar, BigRoad users will immediately see the benefits that come from unparalleled visibility into their cargo and mobile fleet assets," said Philip Poulidis, SVP and GM of BlackBerry Radar. "Radar-M provides up-to-date information on a trailer's available capacity and location so that drivers are able to know exactly when and where they are able to take on more loads."

"Fleet Complete and BigRoad are committed to finding innovative ways to help drivers save time, comply with government regulations, and more importantly, make more money," said Tony Lourakis, CEO of Fleet Complete. "We're excited to expand our relationship with BlackBerry and increase the power and potential of the BigRoad Freight program with BlackBerry Radar."

BigRoad Freight empowers drivers to book the loads they want, when they want, 24/7 from within the BigRoad Mobile App on the phone or tablet. By leveraging real-time location information and a unique compliance availability dataset, shippers and carriers benefit from improved schedule predictability and asset optimization. The Radar-M devices will provide BigRoad's customers with visibility into the available load capacity of its trailers, which will then enable the platform to match drivers with additional shipments along their route.

BlackBerry Radar is an innovative, easy-to-install and data-driven solution that provides near real-time information such as vehicle location, route and mileage, temperature, humidity, door status, and cargo load state on a single intuitive on-line dashboard. It collects up to 100x more data than conventional GPS-based track and trace solutions, and uses this information to build a 360-degree visualization of a customer's assets to ensure safety, security, and regulatory compliance. All data is stored securely on a cloud platform, which maintains the privacy of user information at all times.

To find out more about BlackBerry Radar, visit www.blackberry.com/radar. For more information on the BigRoad Freight program, visit: www.bigroad.com/freight.

About BlackBerry

BlackBerry is a cybersecurity software and services company dedicated to securing the Enterprise of Things. Based in Waterloo, Ontario, the company was founded in 1984 and operates in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, Middle East, Latin America and Africa. The Company trades under the ticker symbol "BB" on the Toronto Stock Exchange and New York Stock Exchange. For more information, visit Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com.

About BigRoad

BigRoad - A Fleet Complete Company is the industry leading provider of hours-of-service (HOS) and electronic logging device (ELD) mandate compliance solutions for the North American transportation industry. In March 2017, BigRoad was acquired by Fleet Complete, a global IoT provider of mission critical fleet, asset and mobile workforce management and telematics solutions. BigRoad's solutions include the BigRoad Mobile App electronic logbook, the BigRoad Web App fleet management tool, and the DashLink ELD. Over 500,000 drivers and 40,000 fleets trust BigRoad's solutions to simplify day-to-day activities, create operational efficiency, and improve profitability. BigRoad has received numerous awards for innovation and growth including the 2017 North American Electronic Logging Device (ELD) Solution Customer Value Leadership Award from Frost and Sullivan.

About Fleet Complete®

Fleet Complete® is a global IoT provider of mission-critical fleet, asset and mobile workforce management solutions. Since 2000, Fleet Complete has been providing dispatching, fleet tracking and mobile resource management solutions to more than 265,000 subscribers and 10,000 businesses worldwide. The company maintains key distribution partnerships with AT&T in the U.S., TELUS in Canada, Telstra in Australia, and T-Mobile in Europe. It remains one of the fastest-growing companies in North America and won numerous awards for innovation and growth. For more information, please visit fleetcomplete.com.

BlackBerry and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of BlackBerry Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world. All other marks are the property of their respective owners. BlackBerry is not responsible for any third-party products or services.
    12-19-17 08:04 AM
    WSJ:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/forget-...ars-1513692000
    Forget Phones. BlackBerry Is Pushing Software for Driverless Cars
    Company says auto sector is its ‘best chance at revenue growth’
    12-19-17 08:05 AM
    12-19-17 08:06 AM
    Previous link content, FTR:

TORONTO, ON -- When the leader of the free world embraces your product, you know you have a winner. So it was with BlackBerry -- then known as Research in Motion -- when it could boast dedicated smartphone users like U.S. President Barack Obama, who once said in an interview, “They’re going to pry it out of my hands.”

They did pry it out of his hands, though. Millions of other users abandoned the device’s QWERTY keyboards as well, once competitors like Apple’s iPhone and different touch-screened alternatives hit the market.

So much for the addictive draw of device that some people had begun to call the “CrackBerry”.

It would be a mistake to discount the company. BlackBerry has gradually been rebuilding itself under the leadership of Chief Executive Officer John S. Chen, in no small part because of products focusing on the trucking industry and broader automotive sector. The growth hardly matches the surge during fiscal 1999-2001, when assets expanded eightfold, but the Kitchener, Ontario-based company has recently been beating analyst estimates.

Today’s BlackBerry focuses mainly on software and the Internet of Things, largely shifting away from hardware ... to a point. At the 2016 Mid-America Trucking Show it unveiled a brick-like trailer tracking and monitoring device known as Radar, which has since secured users such as Caravan Transport Group, Trailer Wizards, and Titanium Transportation. Midway into 2017, RBC Capital Markets reported the business had equipped about 4,000 trailers overall. Fleet Complete has signed on to sell Radar as well.

In addition to incorporating an accelerometer and gyroscope to track motion, Radar-M units scatter infrared light inside a trailer, measuring the percentage of available space. This can introduce new opportunities to broker freight, which will likely become more important against a backdrop of mandatory Electronic Logging Devices, says Philip Poulidis, senior vice president – BlackBerry Radar. “A dispatcher can fill you up on route. There’s a lot of revenue-maximizing opportunities.”

A stripped-down version known as Radar-L -- for flatbeds, chassis, containers, heavy machinery, and other non-powered assets -- tracks equipment locations, motion, and opening or closing doors. Using the company’s antenna-tuning technology known as Paratek, the device can even be mounted under the trailer chassis or between frame rails, rather than requiring a clear view of the sky.

This all draws on several areas of BlackBerry expertise. Each unit relies on cellular connectivity, multiple sensors, and approaches that extend battery life. Cell towers are also combined with GPS signals to enhance locating functions. Data is collected in five-minute increments when a trailer is moving, but transferred just once a day when equipment is parked.

“When you look at all these elements, it sounds like a mobile phone without the screen,” Poulidis says. “We had all those pieces.”

Ted Daniel, Titanium’s president, was attracted by several features in Radar M. Unlike hardwired tracking and monitoring devices, the fleet found that a single-piece unit can be installed on a barn door in 15 to 20 minutes. (BlackBerry reports it’s closer to 10 minutes.) One fleet employee installed about 1,000 of the devices in just two months.

“Now you can load this up with everything you need – temperature, humidity, door open, door close,” Daniel says, referring to the various things that are tracked.

Fairfax Financial’s backing also makes BlackBerry a stable supplier, as does the shift away from commoditized smart phones, he adds. “They’re now a software and support company. There’s no margins in hardware anymore.”

Daniel has a particular interest in tech, in no small part because of a computer science degree and a resume that included two years at IBM Global Services in the late 1990s, when that tech business was transforming itself. Sure, his primary focus was finding technology that would serve the fleet’s needs, but knowing BlackBerry is a Canadian business was a bonus. “I’m a little patriotic, too,” he says.

BlackBerry’s past struggles have actually helped to open doors in sales calls, Poulidis insists. “A lot of people know who BlackBerry is, and a lot of people have had nothing but positive experience with their BlackBerries, and it invokes this nostalgic feeling.”

Sense of security

BlackBerry also stresses the sense of security it wants to convey. Company devices are described not only as secure, but “BlackBerry secure”. Security protocols begin with rotating “keys” embedded in chips themselves. Even if a key is compromised, it becomes useless moments later after being changed.

BlackBerry’s famed security is opening doors of another sort. Its QNX operating system, for example, is already playing a role in over-the-air engine updates, although Poulidis won’t reveal which Original Equipment Manufacturers are using it.

Last year the business also announced plans for the BlackBerry Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Center (AVIC), which will support the software for autonomous vehicles.

Then there are the partnerships. This July, BlackBerry and Qualcomm Technologies formed a deal to develop automotive platforms for connected vehicles. They’ll use Qualcomm Snapdragon modems to optimize BlackBerry’s over-the-air software and Secure Credential Management Services.

"As innovation in the automotive industry accelerates it becomes necessary for industry leaders to work together to deliver leading-edge technology platforms that help to make vehicles safer, more connected, and increasingly autonomous," said Patrick Little, Qualcomm’s senior vice president and general manager – automotive.

The company is also working with Denso on automotive displays, to roll out in 2019.

There’s more to come, and a commitment to release at least one new product a year. Poulidis refers to applications like variable-usage-based insurance, which could use geofences to track when trailers are in high-risk areas, or whether equipment is moving or parked. Digital freight brokers are gaining ground, too, he said. “[This] is going to be the year of supply chain visibility.”

Like any other tech player, BlackBerry still faces stiff competition, and the telematics space is no different. Omnitracs, Spireon, and Trimble are among those looking for a share of the same business. Verizon, a U.S. telecom giant, paid US $2.4 billion for the Fleetmatics Group GPS tracking business. And in the infotainment space, competitors include the likes of Microsoft, Android, and Linuk.

But BlackBerry knows how the top of the tech heap can be reorganized.
    12-19-17 08:12 AM
    12-19-17 10:08 AM
113,256 ... 41764177417841794180 ...