View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Chen screwed up any hardware prospects by not shifting bb10 into a proprietary business exclusive solution as soon as he arrived, running on a keyone type device as well as a motion type slab, that actually could work together on a single BES system with iOS and Android phones. Instead the world gets to now do all their mobile work flows on crappy consumer devices. He also hasn't recently pushed hard enough into software growth side using the cash that is just sitting there...I know he's a bit of a cheapskate, but still, deploy it into growth somehow for gosh sake...if you can't find anything to buy, do joint ventures or something...other than that, he hasn't done too badly...stock is up since he took over...
    All I smell is the same old management type, continuously announcing things like this into the future only to disappoint. If you have something announce it now, no need for all this secrecy, doesn't show you're moving.

John Chen to Deliver Keynote Address at the North American International Auto Show | Inside BlackBerry
    anon(9100201) likes this.
    12-14-17 12:05 AM
    Additional information in relation with the recent article, starting to look good : DENSO and BlackBerry Driving the Future of Digital Cockpits:

Denso, Toyota intro test to analyze IoT data with quantum computer | ZDNet
    "Denso will present an overview and concept of its test at CES 2018 in early January. In November, a 5G trial between Denso, Toyota, NTT DoCoMo, Intel, and Ericsson attained data speeds of 1Gbps/600Mbps for 4K video streaming in a connected vehicle travelling at 30km/h. The group also formed the Automotive Edge Computing Consortium to focus on new architectures to support what's expected to be 10 exabytes a month from connected cars."
    12-14-17 10:21 AM
    Additional information in relation with the recent article, starting to look good : DENSO and BlackBerry Driving the Future of Digital Cockpits:

Denso, Toyota intro test to analyze IoT data with quantum computer | ZDNet
    "Denso will present an overview and concept of its test at CES 2018 in early January. In November, a 5G trial between Denso, Toyota, NTT DoCoMo, Intel, and Ericsson attained data speeds of 1Gbps/600Mbps for 4K video streaming in a connected vehicle travelling at 30km/h. The group also formed the Automotive Edge Computing Consortium to focus on new architectures to support what's expected to be 10 exabytes a month from connected cars."
    It's funny, Denso already came out to say what it was LMAO - 5G speeds in connected car, BB trying to keep it 'secret', slow moving old tech mgmt, seems like old management ways are still the same within the company
    12-14-17 11:08 AM
    hey Morgan do you have any idea why psdv is dropping when the knee results were positive ?
    zlatno and CDM76 like this.
    12-14-17 11:33 AM
    It's funny, Denso already came out to say what it was LMAO - 5G speeds in connected car, BB trying to keep it 'secret', slow moving old tech mgmt, seems like old management ways are still the same within the company
    Perhaps it's not BlackBerry's product to disclose? BlackBerry seems to be the enabler here as the OS and virtualization software provider, not the maker of the hardware or the other services/software that actually serves as the complete package. That is Denso's product.

It'd be like to Microsoft disclosing the latest and greatest laptops or desktop computers in the 90's before the hardware OEM announced their newest offerings. Microsoft's OS enabled the computer, but the computer wasn't Microsoft's product to announce.

Or it would be like BlackBerry announcing how many units of KeyOnes that were sold because they get the royalty stream, but it's really TCL's product. It's not BlackBerry's secret to divulge.
    Corbu, La Emperor, zlatno and 4 others like this.
    12-14-17 11:40 AM
    "In November, a 5G trial between Denso, Toyota, NTT DoCoMo, Intel, and Ericsson attained data speeds of 1Gbps/600Mbps for 4K video streaming in a connected vehicle travelling at 30km/h. The group also formed the Automotive Edge Computing Consortium to focus on new architectures to support what's expected to be 10 exabytes a month from connected cars."

What's interesting is with Intel with all its muscle, could not push their own RTOS , Wind River into this overview. Speaks volume on how powerful and entrenched QNX is in the car industry.
    12-14-17 11:48 AM
    hey Morgan do you have any idea why psdv is dropping when the knee results were positive ?
    I was ecstatic when I was able to get some more shares at USD$1.14 yesterday, and even more ecstatic this morning when I saw that the knee results were positive. Then the trading started and ...
    12-14-17 12:03 PM
    I was ecstatic when I was able to get some more shares at USD$1.14 yesterday, and even more ecstatic this morning when I saw that the knee results were positive. Then the trading started and ...
    be careful with this one guys. I'm down over 80% on PSDV so I can only hold and hope to sell when i'm slightly less negative
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-14-17 12:06 PM
    The data itself was excellent.

My take on it is this, they waited an extra month to release the data, choose to release it one day before the annual meeting, didn't say one word about how they will move forward, nada, and finally, they get their shares priced and options granted tomorrow assuming the votes go their way.

We are left with them talking about it in the AM tomorrow. Not sure I would have handled it this way.

I understand that the data was controlled by others but a delay of this nature should be followed up with some course of action on their part as well more colour from their partner. It isn't difficult to understand why someone would jump ship today while the volume is there. I'm not selling, I'm also not buying until I hear a great deal more about next steps.
    Corbu, FeitaInc, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    12-14-17 01:10 PM
    Morgan et al., if I can pick your brain for a couple of seconds, that would be great.

I listened to "The Hive" by Vanity Fair podcast earlier today. In it they interviewed a former NY banker called William Cohan, who seemed famous. The title of the podcast was "Forget the Dow, Trump is about to trigger financial Armageddon." which gives a fairly accurate sum-up of the podcast. I live in Norway, but the so called experts here are in agreement that the proverbial good ol' sh##t is about to hit the fan. I tend to never listen to what they have to say (and have regretted it the few times I have) but the noise is getting very consistent now; we are set for a major correction.

On the other hand, I saw an interview with Ray Dalio the other day, and he didn't seem overly concerned about where the market is going.

So if I may ask, what is your two cents?

and yeah.. all the normal disclaimers apply.
    rarsen likes this.
    12-14-17 01:44 PM
    Morgan et al., if I can pick your brain for a couple of seconds, that would be great.

I listened to "The Hive" by Vanity Fair podcast earlier today. In it they interviewed a former NY banker called William Cohan, who seemed famous. The title of the podcast was "Forget the Dow, Trump is about to trigger financial Armageddon." which gives a fairly accurate sum-up of the podcast. I live in Norway, but the so called experts here are in agreement that the proverbial good ol' sh##t is about to hit the fan. I tend to never listen to what they have to say (and have regretted it the few times I have) but the noise is getting very consistent now; we are set for a major correction.

On the other hand, I saw an interview with Ray Dalio the other day, and he didn't seem overly concerned about where the market is going.

So if I may ask, what is your two cents?

and yeah.. all the normal disclaimers apply.
    That's a huge topic, more than this thread can handle. I don't see any problems with the market aside from some rotational profit-taking and re-investment in other sectors. The only threat to this market was the failure to pass tax reform and that looks good now. Trump is a one term President so the mid-term elections could prove to be a problem though. But as we stand, it looks great, you have tax cuts, that spells better bottom lines for many companies now and we are approaching a point where Trump won't be able to do much more to upset the economy. The average tax payer thinks they are getting a benefit from tax reform so who am I to tell them anything different. Their annual tax contribution will drop but all of their costs will go up. The additional 1 1/2 trillion bucks that the US government will have to borrow will mean that interest rates will go up. In fact all costs will go up so that the net effect of a tax cut is inevitably higher cost of living for all. All of this takes time to play out so I think we are safe as there really isn't a need for an exit strategy unless Trump bombs NK. Let's see money move from financials to other sectors and make some money while we still can here. Just because others don't feel the need to develop an exit strategy doesn't mean that you or I shouldn't have our own, something to think about. GL
    12-14-17 04:05 PM
    Thanks Morgan. Your thoughts are as ever appreciated.

Just as PSA, I plan to do exactly nothing. I remain confident in the current mix, although PSDV took a minor nose dive today. I'll be following it closely in the days to come, but keep my focus on my long term objectives.

The most exciting thing I have invested in is an ICO for a distributed market place for content. Met the founder and really liked him and the product he has been developing. More or less missed the ICO, but got in after for a fraction of the price. Very exciting space.

GL
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    12-14-17 04:19 PM
    12-14-17 10:57 PM
    Hopefully the trade up program is successful with lots of current and past BlackBerry clients taking the offer and driving the licensing revenue.

I hope more BlackBerry 10 users take the plunge and leave the BBOS SAF revenue train going as long as possible. With the level of margin on SAF, every dollar counts!

An additional 2 years of support for BIS services is interesting though. Still lots of BBOS users out there but you would have to think with the age of the devices, the lack of support at the app level, browser etc and the upgrade program, I don't really know how many more users will be around in 2 years?

I don't know the cost of running the NOC but with a very small amount of users, hopefully it's worth it.

I am not the most technically savvy guy but does the NOC infrastructure only service the BlackBerry devices, BIS/BES? Is it serving any of the software and services aspect of the business like Radar, QNX auto division etc?

Thanks for any insight

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 01:26 AM
    Not sure if it's something wrong with my broker but I see hug bid/ask today on TSX. At the moment is 14763/14634
    Money is coming in? I remember Morgan8 mentioned today should be an interesting day
    morganplus8 likes this.
    12-15-17 08:12 AM
    New BlackBerry product brings virtualization to your car

Waterloo, Ont.-based BlackBerry Ltd. is partnering with Kariya, Japan-based Denso Corp. in a bid to own automobile displays starting after 2019, the firms announced on Thursday.

Intel Corp. also collaborated on the project, which will see a new integrated Human Machine Interface (HMI) platform launch in the automotive space. The goal of the new platform is to bring together the several different operating systems that are sharing a home in cars today. Between the infotainment system, maintenance monitoring, the odometer, and modern safety features, there are several device-specific operating systems at work in a modern car’s cockpit.

BlackBerry says its new solution will help all those various systems cooperate with one another, instead of competing for a driver’s attention. This could involve animations that move across a car’s instrument clusters and onto the navigation centre displays. How does it manage that? Using a virtualization layer aided by the QNX Hypervisor, running on Intel’s Atom A3900 series.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-digital-cockpit.jpg

More at the link:

https://www.itworldcanada.com/articl...our-car/399939
    12-15-17 09:01 AM
    12-15-17 09:50 AM
    anyone seen our friend TheRock? would love to hear from you about the latest QNX Hypervisor news.. well on the technical perspective.
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    12-15-17 10:49 AM
    That was some weird end of day action on SPHS.
    12-15-17 03:53 PM
    Part of my reading today, from broker : "BlackBerry Ltd forms bullish "Bottom Triangle" chart pattern -- Dec 15, 2017

Recognia has detected a "Bottom Triangle" chart pattern formed on BlackBerry Ltd (BB:TSX). This bullish signal indicates that the stock price may rise from the close of $13.95 to the range of $17.10 - $17.80. The pattern formed over 59 days which is roughly the period of time in which the target price range may be achieved, according to standard principles of technical analysis.

Tells Me: The price seems to have reached a bottom, showing signs of reversal as it has broken upward after a period of uncertainty or consolidation. A Bottom Triangle shows two converging trendlines as prices reach lower highs and higher lows. Volume diminishes as the price swings back and forth between an increasingly narrow range reflecting uncertainty in the market direction. Then well before the triangle reaches its apex, the price breaks above the upper trendline with a noticeable increase in volume, confirming this bullish pattern as a reversal of the prior downtrend. This bullish pattern can be seen on the following chart and was detected by Recognia proprietary pattern recognition technology."

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-2-test-2017-quest-graph.png
    12-16-17 07:06 AM
    Canada’s Silicon Valley The Vital Importance of Advancing The Toronto-Waterloo Tech Corridor, The Canadian Business Journal

"The Waterloo Region has the second highest density of tech startups in the world, along with the headquarters of some of this country’s biggest technology companies and development offices for leading global brands. McKinsey & Company says the supercluster in the Toronto-Waterloo region has the potential to become one of the world’s top innovation ecosystems. It is an invaluable part of North America’s second largest ICT cluster, after Silicon Valley in California and is often referred to as Silicon Valley North.
    International technology powerhouses such as Apple, Google and Amazon have stocks that are valued much higher than those of many long-time industrial companies. The economic volume of the tech sector is valued at $6 trillion per year. To put that into perspective, if the global tech industry were a country, it would be the world’s third-largest economy, behind only the U.S. and China, but ahead of Japan. Canada ranks 10th on the list."
    12-17-17 05:30 PM
    Trump is a one term President so the mid-term elections could prove to be a problem though. But as we stand, it looks great, you have tax cuts, that spells better bottom lines for many companies now and we are approaching a point where Trump won't be able to do much more to upset the economy. The average tax payer thinks they are getting a benefit from tax reform so who am I to tell them anything different. Their annual tax contribution will drop but all of their costs will go up. The additional 1 1/2 trillion bucks that the US government will have to borrow will mean that interest rates will go up. In fact all costs will go up so that the net effect of a tax cut is inevitably higher cost of living for all. All of this takes time to play out so I think we are safe as there really isn't a need for an exit strategy unless Trump bombs NK. Let's see money move from financials to other sectors and make some money while we still can here.
    Trump will be a two term President.
    I didn't realize that Trump had upset the economy up to now.
    I'm not a fan of the Tax Cuts. But if it does stimulate the economy, it will more than make up the 1.5trillion that everyone seems to think will be added to the deficit.
    Note: I am unbiased towards Trump. I don't live in the U.S. (nor do I live in North America) and don't care who the President is. I only care how the stock market in the USA is doing and don't care for the reason why.
    12-18-17 02:17 AM
    From my TD alerts

Uber ties up with BBM messenger on ride booking
    2017-12-18 01:56:36 AM ET (Reuters)

JAKARTA, Dec 18 (Reuters) - Uber Technologies said on Monday it has joined forces with BBM Messenger to allow users around the world, including in the application's biggest market of Indonesia, to book rides via the messenger service.

The partnership agreement is with Creative Media Works, operating as BBM Messenger, the company said in a statement.

"With this partnership, BBM users can quickly request an Uber ride via BBM despite variations in quality of location, network speed, or device features,��� said Chan Park, Uber's general manager in Southeast Asia.

The agreement means that BBM Messenger users, including both Android and iOS users, can book an Uber ride without leaving the BBM app, or being required to have a stand-alone Uber app on their phone, the company said.

Creative Media works is a unit of Indonesian media group PT Elang Mahkota Teknologi Tbk. The company operates the global BBM consumer messaging and social networking platf orm under a licence from BlackBerry Limited. (Reporting by Ed Davies; Editing by Stephen Coates)
    12-18-17 04:41 AM
    https://blog.bbm.com/2017/12/18/uber...und-the-globe/
    Uber and BBM Messenger Partner to Bring On Demand Rides to BBM Users Around the Globe

JAKARTA, 18 December 2017 – Creative Media Works, operating as BBM Messenger, has partnered with Uber, the world’s largest on-demand ride-sharing company, to launch the Uber ride-on-demand service within BBM Messenger. Users around the world will have access to this new service, including Indonesia – BBM’s largest market – Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, and the Middle East.

The tie-up between two of the world’s leading technology platforms means that BBM Messenger users – both Android and iOS users – can book an Uber ride via the Uber icon in the BBM Discover menu, without leaving the BBM app or having to have the stand-alone Uber app on their phone.

BBM Discover is a high-valued space within BBM Messenger, designed for high impact and reach while giving partners access to the power of social chat. Uber Ride sits as an icon within BBM Discover’s existing ecosystem of content and services.

When launched from the Discover menu, the new Uber service asks riders to sign in with their mobile number or connect with a social media account. Once riders log in, the service accesses their profile and settings, automatically detects their location, and loads a map. Riders simply enter their destination, tap the Request Uber button as well as payment option, and wait for their ride to arrive.

Chan Park, General Manager, South East Asia, Uber, says: “Millions of people around the world use BBM Messenger to stay in touch. This partnership means they will now be able to request an Uber from within the BBM ecosystem. A safe, reliable and affordable ride is now at the fingertips of even more people.”

“We are excited to be working with BBM Messenger – our first partner in Asia Pacific to use the m.uber platform to request an Uber ride for their users without ever having to leave the BBM app. With this partnership, BBM users can quickly request an Uber ride via BBM despite variations in quality of location, network speed, or device features.”

Chan added that the collaboration enables millions of BBM users globally to access safe, reliable transportation at the push of a button – whenever and wherever they are.

Compatible with all modern browsers, m.uber is a web client for the global market that offers an app-like experience regardless of location, network speed, and device.

“Uber has grown to play such a key role in so many parts of the world today. We’re happy to connect our millions of active users with the service, giving them an easy and reliable transportation option at their fingertips within the BBM eco-system,” said Matthew Talbot, CEO of Creative Media Works, the company which operates and runs BBM globally.

In Indonesia, BBM users will also receive the latest information, benefits and other exciting features on Uber Indonesia Official BBM Channel (Channel PIN: C001E6536). New users in Indonesia requesting an Uber through BBM can enjoy 3 FREE RIDES up to Rp20,000 (valid until February 28, 2018) by entering the promo code UBERXBBM in the PROMOTIONS option.
    12-18-17 06:07 AM
    https://blog.bbm.com/2017/12/18/bbm-...r-is-arriving/
    BBM Messenger Users, Your Uber is Arriving

Uber is always looking for new ways to connect people with safe, reliable transportation at the push of a button. In partnership with BBM Messenger, both companies are bringing you and your friends closer together right where you are.

Starting today, BBM Messenger users in Indonesia can request a ride, all without having to leave the messaging app or download the Uber app – regardless of location, network speed and device. The service is applicable to all Uber products available in Indonesia .

With Uber on BBM, you and your friends can keep the conversation going while seamlessly requesting for an Uber ride in BBM. Taking your next ride is as simple as sending a message or a sticker!

Getting started is easy, even if you’ve never used Uber! Simply open the BBM Discover menu on BBM Messenger app and the Uber Ride icon will be there. Here’s how it works:

1. Open the BBM app
    2. Click on “Discover” menu
    3. Select the option with the Uber Ride Icon
    4. You’ll be directed to the Uber Login page
    5. Login by entering your phone number and password
    6. After you’re logged in, you can request an Uber by entering your Destination and Pickup Location
    7. Choose your Uber ride option & your payment option
    8. Confirm your request
    9. Your driver partner will pick you up on your location
    10. Have a nice trip!
    12-18-17 06:08 AM
113,256 ... 41754176417741784179 ...