1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    On the subject of Baidu/AI/Apollo, etc.
    https://www.wired.com/story/inside-b...-intelligence/

INSIDE BAIDU’S BID TO LEAD THE AI REVOLUTION

Last edited by Corbu; 12-07-17 at 06:28 PM.
    12-07-17 06:14 PM
    Over the last 24 hours I've learnt Blackberry has some passionate followers
    Five years ago (give or take) a passionate follower started this threat and many more have followed, Cheers mates!
    Last edited by bbjdog; 12-07-17 at 07:53 PM.
    12-07-17 07:21 PM
    General weekend reading, what happens to your data after returning rental car or even when your regular car is brought to the garage were others have access to data stored in the vehicle? Among others, your Insurer would like to confirm what type of driver (or occasional abuser) of the vehicle, so to benefit from the optimized insurance rates, etc :

Connected cars: What happens to your data after you leave your rental car behind? | ZDNet
    12-08-17 10:14 AM
    12-09-17 03:23 PM
    Radar is ramping up I hope!
    12-09-17 03:24 PM
    Don't know if this was previously mentioned on this site:

John Chen to Deliver Keynote Address at the North American International Auto Show | Inside BlackBerry
    "During the address, BlackBerry will also unveil and demonstrate a new product that will help to shape and secure the future of connected and self-driving cars."
    12-10-17 05:07 PM
    lol page missing, and it will likely just be the same QNX Car 2.0, nothing different. Chen often does this, tries to get free marketing with the same thing, I don't think there's anything actually new here. BlackBerry even took out the link. This has been dead money for way too long.

It's likely that ER is going to take another hit, especially with the litigation loss with Nokia. He's only scheduled it to then so that there's some 'semblance' of a rumour to keep investors in. Hasn't anybody noticed how he staggers events and sales, etc. per quarter to try to play with the numbers and stagger the income coming in. In my opinion, he's letting the company bleed a slow death so that it can be ready for sale with little resistance.
    12-10-17 05:10 PM
    Don't know if this was previously mentioned on this site:

John Chen to Deliver Keynote Address at the North American International Auto Show | Inside BlackBerry
    "During the address, BlackBerry will also unveil and demonstrate a new product that will help to shape and secure the future of connected and self-driving cars."
    Guessing it is the security service that can remotely scan for viruses and such. It has been mentioned before but hasn't been formally introduced. It has been rumored that BlackBerry has been working with Range Rover and Aston Martin on it.

Would provide a nice recurring revenue stream.
    rarsen and Corbu like this.
    12-10-17 05:15 PM
    Almost never fails pre ER. There is always at least one basher.
    FUD!
    kadakn01, Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    12-10-17 07:38 PM
    lol page missing, and it will likely just be the same QNX Car 2.0, nothing different. Chen often does this, tries to get free marketing with the same thing, I don't think there's anything actually new here. BlackBerry even took out the link. This has been dead money for way too long.

It's likely that ER is going to take another hit, especially with the litigation loss with Nokia. He's only scheduled it to then so that there's some 'semblance' of a rumour to keep investors in. Hasn't anybody noticed how he staggers events and sales, etc. per quarter to try to play with the numbers and stagger the income coming in. In my opinion, he's letting the company bleed a slow death so that it can be ready for sale with little resistance.
    You know that you are not allowed to criticize the might John Chen no matter how much he has damaged shareholders with his reckless behavior?

Posted via CB10
    12-10-17 11:13 PM
    Guessing it is the security service that can remotely scan for viruses and such. It has been mentioned before but hasn't been formally introduced. It has been rumored that BlackBerry has been working with Range Rover and Aston Martin on it.

Would provide a nice recurring revenue stream.
    Hope so, but I am afraid he will just repeat the 7 steps paper they already have published. Nobody would consider this a new product, but John Chen does.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-17 11:14 PM
    Just ask yourself what kind of CEO rather buys shares of WFC for $290,000 where he sits on the board than from the company where he is the CEO?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-17 12:11 AM
    You know that you are not allowed to criticize the might John Chen no matter how much he has damaged shareholders with his reckless behavior?
    Well.. There's is criticizing, and then there is whining.

Hope so, but I am afraid he will just repeat the 7 steps paper they already have published. Nobody would consider this a new product, but John Chen does.
    Unless they have implemented said list in a scalable and value adding service for which there is already customers. That would be something new and worthwhile.

Just ask yourself what kind of CEO rather buys shares of WFC for $290,000 where he sits on the board than from the company where he is the CEO?
    Ehm.. Probably all CEOs who have a compensation package that will land him / her as many shares in the company they lead would choose to diversify, aka do the same as JC.
    rarsen, morganplus8, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    12-11-17 04:12 AM
    Well.. There's is criticizing, and then there is whining.
    In this forum most people consider every negative word against John Chen as whining. Grow up and live with the fact that John Chen so far has nothing achieved for shareholders in over four years while other share in the sector have increased several 100%.
    12-11-17 06:25 AM
    In this forum most people consider every negative word against John Chen as whining. Grow up and live with the fact that John Chen so far has nothing achieved for shareholders in over four years while other share in the sector have increased several 100%.
    Let's just agree to disagree as to what JC has done for shareholders.

Care to exemplify which companies in the sector have increased several 100%?
    La Emperor likes this.
    12-11-17 06:46 AM
    Let's just agree to disagree as to what JC has done for shareholders.

Care to exemplify which companies in the sector have increased several 100%?
    Just tell me what he has achieved for shareholders over the last four years and I will stop complaining. And I am talking about shareholder returns like dividends or shareprice increases.

Reagrding the companies: just take all the private companies that have worked in the autonomous space and have been bought for billions of $ by GOOG, GM, F etc. even though they had no meaningful revenues. Or NVDA which shares have increased several 100% only based on future prospects within the autonomous business. John Chen on the other hand side just curbs any enthusiams by pointing to revenues being far far away for QNX
    12-11-17 08:47 AM
    if you don't like BlackBerry then just leave elsewhere
    La Emperor likes this.
    12-11-17 08:51 AM
    Just tell me what he has achieved for shareholders over the last four years and I will stop complaining. And I am talking about shareholder returns like dividends or shareprice increases.

Reagrding the companies: just take all the private companies that have worked in the autonomous space and have been bought for billions of $ by GOOG, GM, F etc. even though they had no meaningful revenues. Or NVDA which shares have increased several 100% only based on future prospects within the autonomous business. John Chen on the other hand side just curbs any enthusiams by pointing to revenues being far far away for QNX
    Well, he took a company hemorrhaging cash and no clear path forward and made it stable and cash flow positive. The share price from the 6's to 10's+ is what the shareholders got. Considering the horribly tarnished brand, and the unwillingness to look beyond cell phones by almost anyone, I'd say that's pretty decent. Could it have been better? Maybe, but to say he's done harm since taking over is plain wrong.

As for NVDA, autonomous cars has not driven the growth.... Crypto mining is what has driven their revenue growth and inflated their PE.

Yes, BB is lagging in sp growth amongst peers, but they've also beaten other beaten up brands in the sector who've lost reputation and confidence.
    12-11-17 09:34 AM
    That's borderlining reversal of proof, but yeah. I think he and team has worked diligently in putting in the foundations for future growth drivers. By the time he's done, I think BB will be in a good place.

The SP has been moving in the right direction for the past quarters. Is it as high as I would've liked? No. Is he making the right moves? Yeah, overall I think so.

To talk about dividends for BB post 2013 is meanigless.

So you think JC has done a bad job, but you think he should be measured against companies in the segment BB for all intents have pivoted to?

F is flat since JC took over, GM is slightly up. Google (alphabet) has 2x, but can't really see how you can use them as a benchmark. BB is hopefully right at the curve in the hockey stick curve that is Nvidia's SP the last years.

If you look at the EMM market, Mobl is down 60% or something like that.

It's easy to get mad if one cherry picks the right comparisons, but regardless of what JC is doing, you have the power to make informed decisions.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    12-11-17 10:12 AM
    Just appreciate the fact that your shares are not worth $0 and far from it after these years of recovery. As a matter of fact I have only made money on BBRY shares (thanks to this forum) when I started buying after Chen joined the company.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    12-11-17 10:22 AM
    and speaking of making money, seems like all the beer has been consumed, 'cause SPHS just made a jump.

only thing I'm wondering about is why I wasn't invited to the party. :P
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    12-11-17 10:26 AM
    Will the future of self-driving cars be ‘powered by Blackberry’?

John Chen, CEO Blackberry told me recently at their security conference that they are focussing on design wins at the moment: "We have a little more than half of the market. For the last few years we have been branching out because the infotainment business has been getting saturated. We have now 12 different modules including driver-to-driver comms, over-the-air as well as infotainment and to us it is a very big thing because that’s where QNX is focussing on and 70 percent of our business is, anyway, from automotive.
    "Auto is a market where real money can be made right now."
    And so what's in store in 2018 for Blackberry?"I have to start growing the company. I think we have done good by going down the software and services business route, but we need to continue growing it.
    "This is because the old revenue, activation fees and handsets revenue continue to come down, like next year there will be no handset revenue because we sold the remaining inventories. We are done! We have told the analysts that they can expect our revenue from that stream to become zero from the handsets side. But the royalty, they will give us a royalty from the sale. So in 2018 we will get to the point where we see the revenue to start growing from the right channels."

https://teiss.co.uk/locked/will-the-...-blackberry-2/
    12-11-17 10:39 AM
    Continue to be careful out there:

Defeating the stranglehold of the ransomware mafia
    https://teiss.co.uk/news/defeating-s...somware-mafia/
    “A detailed report released by security firm Malwarebytes has revealed that the number of ransomware detections across the world grew by a stunning 1,989% since 2015, with average monthly ransomware detections growing by 94% since last year. Hundreds of thousands of ransomware attacks have been detected so far this year compared to just 16,000 in September 2015. Revealed that modern ransomware attacks not only exploit weaknesses in Windows devices, but also in millions of Android and Mac devices. A research conducted by the firm detected more malware attacks on Macs between May and June than observed in all of 2016.
    The best ways for businesses and consumers to fight back against the ransomware menace are creating proactive defences, creating greater collective awareness, and sharing knowledge and best practices.”

Several banking apps let hackers steal user credentials using man-in-the-middle attacks
    https://teiss.co.uk/news/banking-app...iddle-attacks/
    "The flaw was observed in as many as 9 popular banking apps including those of Bank of America, Meezan Bank, HSBC, Smile Bank and VPN provider TunnelBear."
    W Hoa, morganplus8 and La Emperor like this.
    12-11-17 12:07 PM
    if you don't like BlackBerry then just leave elsewhere
    That is all you can come up with? Sad

Posted via CB10
    12-11-17 12:38 PM
    Just appreciate the fact that your shares are not worth $0 and far from it after these years of recovery. As a matter of fact I have only made money on BBRY shares (thanks to this forum) when I started buying after Chen joined the company.
    A dollar for every person who only made money from BlackBerry shares and I would be a millionaire

Posted via CB10
    12-11-17 12:39 PM
113,256 ... 41734174417541764177 ...